It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I can't get a council house and its driving me mad!

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Obviously you're not conceiving this child yourself... What about your partner? You earn £1,100 a month, that is quite a good wage these days, i'm a cardiac physiologist and I don't even earn that much. Surely between you and your partner you could afford a private rent between you? A fully furnished 2 bedroom flat can cost less than £500 a month, leaving you alone £500 for food and whatnot.

Don't mean to be rude, but if you are both close enough to have a child together you'll be close enough to live together to jointly support the child?

As messed up as this country is, the real problem is too many people being too dependent on the state.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Longy4eva
A fully furnished 2 bedroom flat can cost less than £500 a month, leaving you alone £500 for food and whatnot.

Depends where in England you are. Where I live, the cheapest you'll find a 1 bedroom private flat is £600 - and that's in a crappy area not including the £100 pm council tax and £70 or so in other bills. On a working class wage that leaves around £330 a month for food, running a car (or other travel costs), clothes and other miscellaneous expenses. Even living without luxuries, giving gifts or having a social life you'd be lucky to have £100 left each month to put towards savings or a rainy day.

Originally posted by Longy4eva
As messed up as this country is, the real problem is too many people being too dependent on the state.

I'm vehemently anti the welfare state. The real crux of this issue is that in certain parts of England government policies and capitalist workings have made it very difficult to lead a happy, productive, family life without State help. Get rid of all but the most necessary of benefits programmes, sure, but make sure that a full-time job at minimum wage covers the cost of living and that there's a reasonable chance for young people to work towards getting on the property ladder.

edit on 2/9/2011 by Cythraul because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ALOSTSOUL

When did this country decide to punish the hard working and reward the lazy?
When did it decide that immigrants have more rights than the natural born?
When did MP's decide my voice doesn't count?

My personal opinion... ever since the conservative party won the election. (i know they didn't actually win, but the lib-dems have no say, the coalition is just a tory government.)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by AP-Chris
Taxpayers subsidizing a market inflates the value of the market until there is no savings whatsoever.

This is a great point and this is why the inevitable conclusion of a Capitalist society is to collapse in on itself. When competition has been so fierce for so long on such a densely populated island, those with influence over society will have squeezed so much out of their fellow man that there's nothing left to take. For example, if it is observed that the average person can pay their living costs and have a healthy amount of money left over each month - that money is seen by the most shrewd of capitalists as game for acquisition, some way somehow. So it becomes socially and legally reasonable to introduce a new tax, or to ramp up advertising to persuade people to spend that excess money, or to increase average rent prices etc etc.

Basically, the disposable income of the average worker is seen as some kind of gold to be mined. And every politician, bureaucrat, entrepreneur and capitalist sets their sights on ways to extract that gold. The result is that most of us are left with just enough to pay taxes and bills. I only wish the masses would stop wasting their money on the latest must-have consumer items.

edit on 2/9/2011 by Cythraul because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Don't want to seem cold hearted but you have to plan ahead if you are going to have children. Its no good complaining afterwards if you didn't bother to find out what you are entitled to.

Finally its no good complaining about foreigners either, it was your choice to be in the position you are today, not theirs.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
The reason you can't get a "Council House" is simple, they don't exist. Social Housing has replaced it and they are being allocated to those truly in need, the homeless, the ill etc. Those amongst us that need a helping hand, as it should be.

Despite what you've read in the Daily Wail and Express, the Social Housing model is working exactly as intended.
edit on 2-9-2011 by PW229 because: Typo correction.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by MBUK3D

You work at the Mclaren Technology Center and you only make 1100 a month?
edit on 2-9-2011 by MBUK3D because: (no reason given)

Yes I do. Is that hard to believe?

ALS

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stovokor
IMHO, you should of thought about the financial cost of raising a child before you did the deed that results in baby making.

Valid point Stovokor except your words mean he has to stop having sex!

Booby prize for Stovokor.... no he can't have boobies, he disapproves of sex!

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrixXxtaR
Sorry, no sympathy from me.

You want to raise a child, you do so on your own earnings, just like your grandparents would have. Yes, times are hard and you need about £50k in the bank just to get a morgage worth having but its the same for everybody.

In this economy, Durex is your best friend!

The huge difference between his grandparents and him? They would have got housing.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ALOSTSOUL

Originally posted by MBUK3D

You work at the Mclaren Technology Center and you only make 1100 a month?
edit on 2-9-2011 by MBUK3D because: (no reason given)

Yes I do. Is that hard to believe?

ALS

Not that I'm the type who would mate, but it would be fairly easy to check if someone wanted to, and fairly easy for that centre to work out who you are. I'd be careful about naming such things unless you want your employees to know. None of my business and I wouldn't look, but I would be careful as if this went further they may think they are being accused of paying people sub minimum wage (given the hours you say you work and your typical monthly pay).

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by something wickeda

Most of the boys know my situation. Infact I have mentioned ATS to more than a few, so if any of you are here. Please back the cookie up. 1100 is an average pre-season wage.

Also I am no where near important enough (within McLaren) to find.

ALS

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by loves a conspiricy

Nope....it doesnt work like that.

The waiting lists are long...because they give all the houses to immigrants.
'

Lol, over here in good old America, our public, council housing are called "Ghettos". They're over run with gangsters, drug dealers, crack heads and THIEVES. People get robbed and shot all the time around there so they built a giant wall thing around it so police can have something to hide behind when the shots start.

And this is the reason why there are a bunch of people who just live around town under bridges, in the woods and some just walk around all day then sleep on the sidewalk at night.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ALOSTSOUL
reply to post by Stovokor

Seriously, who does think about this things but that is neither here nor there. The fact of the matter is, I was under the notion that I work and pay my taxes so that I could recieve help from the state if needed.

ALS

Ha...that's the joke of the year my friend. I am Thirty eight years old, and have worked since I was sixteen. Back in the Spring of 09', I was laid off from my job of Fifteen years. When I needed help the most, I was turned down every avenue I pursued. So you work all your life, pay taxes, support those that don't work and populate the world, and when you are down in the dumps, we will say that even though you are laid off right now, you made too much money last year to receive any kind of aid. The only company that helped us was my mortgage company. They told me not to pay my mortgage for three months, until I get back on my feet, other than that, we were on our own

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

You keep saying he should have thought about unplanned pregnancy? Oxymoron!? Your budget is unrealistic to say the least, I have young children and I can vouch for that.
My wife works as a nurse, her hours have been cut and pay froze, luckily I earn enough for us to get by each month. Would you take the same view towards me if I needed support in the form of benefits? Or will you complain that it was my poor decision making banking on our combined income staying as it is?
He sounds like a honest hard worker who will put way more back into the system than he'll take out.

As others have said, get off your high horse and find another thread, your comments are neither constructive or warranted.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Council housing = social housing now....this is happening all over England and it is so annoying that 'some' people are having so many kids just to get a bigger council house.

In all honesty, you will be better off buying a property, and it wont end up being dead money. I would never rent private..I did that before and it cost an absolute fortune and truly is dead money. Thing is, how are you sposed to get a mortgage in the current economic climate? Can I ask why you need a house though? Would a flat not do you until you are in a better position, maybe in the meantime a house will come up somewhere at the right price for you. I know a house might be an ideal abode, but theres nowt wrong with a nice little 2 bedroomed flat surely...just look on it as temporary

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Just to be clear. The country is letting in the immigrants because it joined the EU, AND also because the reproduction rate among the local population in lower than the 2.1 needed to sustain a civilization. Could this be due to poor economics and the significantly rising cost of having a child and the condom/pill?

People in the UK, many European countries, the US, and Australia, have a birthrate lower than than the 2.1 needed to sustain it, thus IMMIGRATION!

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by loves a conspiricy

Nope....it doesnt work like that.

The waiting lists are long...because they give all the houses to immigrants.

And the elderly and disabled.
I have one knee and suffer from agonising Chronic Pain Syndrome.
I got a lovely council house for me, my wife and 4 kids.
I do volentry work, 6/10 hours a week coaching kids football. I do it in pain, but it allows me to look in the mirror.
Because of the medication I am forced to take, I am unemployable. If I am having an "ok" day, I help the kids, if I have to take medication, I dont/cant/wouldnt.

I am lucky I guess..

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaRAGE

Just to be clear. The country is letting in the immigrants because it joined the EU, AND also because the reproduction rate among the local population in lower than the 2.1 needed to sustain a civilization. Could this be due to poor economics and the significantly rising cost of having a child and the condom/pill?

People in the UK, many European countries, the US, and Australia, have a birthrate lower than than the 2.1 needed to sustain it, thus IMMIGRATION!

You know people defend immigration in the same way you have stated but please explain to me, if this country was in such a desperate need for workers, then why are the youth who were born here, unable to get a job? Im currently looking for a FT job myself and guess what? There arent any. And still they let them in.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaRAGE

Wrong - you've got it the wrong way round! Immigration, thus people in the UK have a below replacement average birthrate.

Or more accurately: immigration + Cultural Marxism + banker tyranny = the hopelessness that encourages low birthrates. See my post on page 10 of this thread.

edit on 3/9/2011 by Cythraul because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

I'd say the difference being they would have worked hard for it. Not expect a free ticket to the top of the list. Everyone expects something for nothing these days.

"I pay my taxes!"

"So does everyone else mate!"

reply to post by Suspiria

Blast my generalisation of his situation. Oh how foolish of me indeed! At least post something worth while.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join