It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I can't get a council house and its driving me mad!

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Firstly you should have been more careful. I've been with my girlfriend nearly 6 years, we dont want children and its never happened.

Tell them you'll be homeless when the child arrives, i have several friends who did this including family of the girlfriends side. They all had council houses by the time the child arrived. One even told the council she had been living at my house, i only found out when the council sent me a letter to ask if it was true, i went fooking mental!

One of my friends who recently had a second child managed to rent a house on less than that wage when they had only 1 child, it can be done if you work hard, dont just go for the easy route

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Times are hard and I understand that. However, life is life. I think in a way he has a right to expect something. He has a job, standing by his family and he needs a little help.

I would much rather my tax money going to someone like him than any of the banks, crims and immigrants (who are cheating or lying for more cash, not the people who have genuine reasons).

Depending on where you live you can go private for as little as £250 pm for a 2 bed. On the other hand you can pay £800pm for the same somewhere else.

Suppose the only advice I can give is to get to the Citizens Advice Bureau (If they still exist) and sit down with the council to get the income support/child benefits that you are entitled to.

Get a place with a garden and start to grow your own produce, (don’t even need a garden these days). Much better for the kid, cheaper for you and get to spend time with the fam while doing it.

Perceiver man, be thankful for what you have (or what is coming) rather than be upset by the things you don’t.

Peace and good luck

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by ChristianJihad

It's true many councils have sold their properties to Housing associations. My local council did, I live in one of those houses. They aren't all bad. Matter of fact since this one was handed over to one such association the area has gotten a hell of a lot better. Obviously the rents go up a little every year, a pound here or there but it's not crushing.

I also still have the right to buy..

We pay amongst other things £350 a month (4 bedroom house) and £40 a month council tax. Added benefit of a huge garden for the chilblains to play in and somewhere to grow my veggies.

edit on 2-9-2011 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

Yeah but land is expensive here and once you put a dwelling of any kind on it, I'm sure they'd make you liable for council tax. The UK isn't like America, it's less than half the size of France with the same population, it's way overcrowded. At least in America, it's vast, land is cheap, properties are cheap. Here it's getting out of hand. They will not close the boarders. Every council housing list is about a two year wait at best. There are not enough houses. There are people who say build more, build on the fields, build everywhere. What kind of country is that leaving for our children? A concrete mess where there is not an inch of green and the English language is 20th in order of common languages. A country swollowed up in its own debt. Where everyone is in state housing and constantly existing with the threat of eviction if you even make a noise above the regulated level and the line of wealth is divided in to two, very rich and very poor. This is the future of the UK, no matter how far fetched it sounds.

This country is a mess! Anyone who thinks that this country has any future and that people will eventually get out of this and all will be all well are living in a day dream. This is coming from a home owner in a nice area and with a good job. You people who are struggling now need to work hard no matter how many hours and no matter how long, get money and get out because it's only going to get worse, a lot worse. I honestly do wish you all the best of luck, as with any hard working Brit, but we really are losing ground.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
It does not matter whether you live in "Private" or "Council" you're still supposed to be getting the Housing Benefits. However from your thread I suspect that you have not realised that you only get such Housing Benefits if you take the trouble to make the application. You need to visit your local town hall to fill in the application forms. Those living in "Private" sector housing get their water rates paid by the Housing Benefits. However, those living in "Council" sector housing do not get their water rates paid by the housing benefits. Therefore, assuming that you apply for the housing benefits, you will actually be better off living in the "Private" sector housing. It will cost you nothing to make the application for Housing Benefits. It works out that the rent that your landlord is charging you gets paid in full by the local authority. Thus making your pay packet go further. The housing benefit money gets paid directly to your landlord. So that it is not your taxable income. Remember that money paid as rent to a landlord is no longer your taxable income. Moving into a "Council" sector tenancy might be your worst move you will ever make. Just stay where you live now and the housing benefits that you will get are superior to what I get as a Council Tenant. Councils are operating very strict rules about behaviour. Any Council Tenant being Anti Social Behaviour gets evicted. I have seen it happen. Council Housing is no longer the "secure tenancy" that it used to be. Very good reason to remain in the "Private" sector where you are in reality more secure than you might think. Best of luck.

AVE RAEGINA CAELINA LA DEUS NOSTRA CAELI LA VERA DEUS

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by RMFX1

But I have heard of it. I've worked hard all of my adult life. I live comfortably. If that ever changes though, and I feel that I need assistance, I won't be too proud or ashamed to ask for it. Ive already paid for it!

Me too, but last year I needed a medical procedure and our wonderful NHS wouldn't do it so I went to Ukraine and had it done privately (by the way their facilities are every bit as good if not better and cleaner than our hospitals and treatment is a fraction of the cost). I ought to bill the government for the cost.

To the OP
Would you really want to bring your kids up on a council estate ? I'd rather scrimp on everything else and pay private rent than live on one

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Suspiria

Tell me where that is I will move there lol.

Seriously, I'm aware there are one or two decent places and I would be wrong to tar everyone with the same brush. At the end of the day it is people that make up estates not properties but sadly the Uk is on a downward spiral to drink drug and chav utopia.

WARNING very strong language -

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   

My partner and I both put ourselves through school and did without all through our twenties, now we are reaping the benefits of think and planning through our lives. We came from nothing to live pretty comfortably..now why should we and people like us have to pay for other people's bad decisions through higher taxes?

See now this is what I do not get when I read threads like this, people like you on a conspiracy website perpetuating the governments myths and propoganda that tax goes to the welfare systems of western countries, have you not done any research into the monetary system? You are not giving your money to your government, you are paying the IMF for government debt (a bunch of numbers in a computer system) that goes straight back to the bankers. We coud all be living fairly and equally right now if it werent for the IMF... I thought the whole IMF fraud was common knowledge on conspiracy sites, infact I thought it was the only conspiracy we could all agree on??? So why are people still saying asinine things like "now why should we and people like us have to pay for other people's bad decisions through higher taxes?" your not paying for other peoples decisions (good or bad) through higher taxes, your lining the pockets of banksters and greedy politicians.... duh!
Go do some research on the monetary system, what those numbers in your bank account really mean and why your taxes dont feed the mouths of those who dont want to work.

“Should government refrain from regulation (taxation), the worthlessness of the money becomes
apparent and the fraud can no longer be concealed.” — John Maynard Keynes, “Consequences of
Peace.”

“The few who understand the system, will either be so interested from it’s profits or so dependant
on it’s favors, that there will be no opposition from that class.” — Rothschild Brothers of London, 1863

“Banks lend by creating credit. They create the means of payment out of nothing” — Ralph M.
Hawtrey, Secretary of the British Treasury

“Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The Bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create deposits, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take it away from them, and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of Bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create deposits”.- SIR JOSIAH STAMP, (President of the Bank of England in the 1920′s, the second richest man in Britain):

Heres a couple of sites to start you off;

www.worldtvpc.com...
merlintm.x10.bz...
www.apfn.org...

But theres plenty more info out there, you just need to let go of your prejudice

Anyway, sorry op for the long post, I just really needed to make it clear that you getting help from your government wont mean higher taxes for everyone else because tax is a fraud and yea.... Congratulations on becoming a dad soon, it sucks that you have to worry about money and housing at a time of such joy. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your little family, I hope you are able to find a solution
edit on 2-9-2011 by Rhebefree because: quote box issues

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by subby

Originally posted by Gravity215

Originally posted by Stovokor
IMHO, you should of thought about the financial cost of raising a child before you did the deed that results in baby making.

Although I agree with the sentiment of the thread regarding government covering ones costs, i feel that this statement is the pits and sounds like something you'd expect from a psychopath or a teenager.

Are you suggesting all teenagers are psychopathic? I actually agree that people should consider the consequences before reproducing offspring. Creating a new life is a big deal and not to be taken lightly.

Agree all you like, teenagers tend not to think about what they are saying, psychopaths simply don't care. Your talking about a human life that is already here, making comments about 'well too bad, you should have thought about this before it was born' is inhuman and disgusting.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
You only get water rates included in the rent if it's in the contract. I know not of any landlord who does this, certainly not any private landlord I have rented from in the past. It seem's to be the norm for places in Canada to include amenities though.

As for housing benefit, yes..When all is worked out by the taxman the OP may get a little help with that, as well as council tax but I doubt it will be a lot towards his rent in the end. He works don't forget, he's not sitting on his arse all day watching jeremy kyle.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by LestatG

The problem is the system was originally set up for people like him! This is what kills me!
The system was set up to help out workers who are struggling, might find yourself out of work, here is a helping hand or people who can't afford to own a place, here live in state housing. Then all of a sudden, it was long term unemployed, which is fair enough, but then it fell even further by allowing teenagers to have a places just because they were knocked up, fair enough, don't agree with it, but least their parents I'm sure have contributed. Then under Labour it took on a whole different meaning, foreigners swarming here and picking up the keys the same day. People who have contributed nothing ever in tax, at the top of the list. Criminals given housing, our own never worked given housing, kids getting knocked up to get housing over everyone and people wonder why the welfare state now costs Britain on average 170 billion a year! It was a great system and if it continued as it was, then it would've been great today. Then again had a lot not changed in this country, then this country would've been great still today!

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I appreciate that England and the UK are limited in space... one of the inherent problems of an island nation.

Further, England had some good ideas that went "sideways" so to speak. But what "would' a, could'a, should'a" have been will not cut it now.... only the present reality is addressable.

Yoiu have a family..a child is on the way...and you need a place to raise that child and make a home for you and your mate.

What are the realistic options for you?

Stay in the flat with the multitude of room mates.

Move into mother's house.

Work another job plus the one you have and get a place of your own...maybe make your mate work...maybe a 3rd shift and you two alternate child care... that sucks but I know people that are doing it.. and well, too.

Or, move to where there are other opportunities... the USA...I have even looked myself at Costa Rica or Brazil.

Government housing, based on the replies to your OP, is wishful thinking at best... the babe will be a toddler and then in school before you get the housing needed.

You must deal with the here and now.... sounds harsh, but I have been there and survived. You are smart...you can too.

So, what are your plans...real, concrete plans for today?

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   

IMHO, you should of thought about the financial cost of raising a child before you did the deed that results in baby making.

if everyone thought about the financial cost of having a child before they had one, there would be a billion less people in the world, get real

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by ALOSTSOUL

hey, i truly believe you will provide for your child, you are clearly doing the best you can, and you have every right to ask for a little assistance, especially the way assistance gets handed out to those that cheat the system, or are just lazy and don't want to work for anything... believe me, i understand, i struggle everyday to provide the best i can for my family, and every month i seem to be falling just a little more behind... also, i am a paralegal at a major bankruptcy firm in the south east of america, and where other local firms file maybe 20-30 new bankruptcies every month, between our 3 offices, my firm files approximately 200-250 new bankruptcies every month... so my point there is it's not just you and me, everyone everywhere is struggling... and i would definitely say out of those 200-250 new bankruptcy clients every month, MAYBE 2 or 3 are actually abusing the system and just slip through the cracks unnoticed, which would leave the rest in actual need of assistance financially... unfortunately, bankruptcy only helps you get rid of the debt already accumulated, it will not assist in the future debts, or the state of economy in this country... i mean how much could an individual's credit score matter when the country we live in has the worst credit in the world? anyways, i have gotten quite distant from the OP, but i hope you understand that i am just adding to help others understand how desperate times are becoming, and yes those that don't deserve it are the one's who get the help we really need...

and also, just to make clear, the end of my last post...

like another poster stated, you are exactly what the crooked government officials want in a servant, i mean citizen... don't ask questions, give give give, regret on your deathbed and get buried in a cardboard box... or a $20,000.00 casket, it doesn't matter... that's why we are all here! to question the authorit-eye!!!

...was aimed at death kron, not you!
i really hope you get some help that you need, and congrats!

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by SearchLightsInc

Originally posted by Death_Kron

Originally posted by SearchLightsInc
People should just stop having kids. Only the rich should be allowed to reproduce.

Anyone is allowed to reproduce, if they don't have the intelligence to support their future family then that's their problem

Unfortunately it's our problem. We work hard and pay taxes and don't think we DESERVE everything handed to us on a silver platter.

We the middle class pay the majority of the taxes in both countries and receive no entitlements that the ultra rich and e ultra poor get..

Lololol, i LOVE the middleclasses, you dont know nothing about being rich and you dont know nothing about being poor

Wrong again...grew up poor..worked for the ultra rich in college...my partner and I are very comfortable now..I didn't want to sound uppity but we are upper middle class..so I do know a bit about both side..

Keep trying tho..even a stopped clock is right twice a day

All well and good but in the UK there is no such thing as "upper" or "lower" middle class. In the UK you can be upper or lower working class (ie skilled or unskilled worker) whilst middle class is reserved for the very very top earners. Top surgeons, Solicitors or top business men/women who earn millions from the big companies they have started. In the UK you probably wouldn't even be considered as middle class at all, not by socio-economic academics anyway (the only people whose opinions count on this matter). The irony is, that a lot of people in the UK like to think of themselves as Middle class when in fact that are nothing of the sort.Pretty sad really.

OP, does your partner not work or have a job/career? If she claimed she was a single mother perhaps she would stand more chance of getting a council property. Its a shame that you would be forced to "play the system" like that but I know a lot of people who have done and there is no shame in it, especially when you work as hard as you do. I hope you find a solution to your problems soon mate, and congrats on the child you have on the way.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by jed001

That's exactly it, agree 100%.

People saying those comments should point them at the unemployable parents with half a dozen kids that never want to contribute a penny but feel its their children's right that the rest of us pay for them. Saying that to a working guy is rubbish, sure he could've thought about it more, but he's not sitting there saying "send me the forms to fill out for the ponse money coz I'm scum", he is stating how difficult it is for him at the moment and really looking for advice and help, something this country gives little to a working parent. Comments about he should've thought about that before having a kid, aren't constructive. If people want to say that, say it to those who continue to wrecklessly breed without any thought of responsibility, not the working guy asking for help!

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by ALOSTSOUL

You work at the Mclaren Technology Center and you only make 1100 a month?
edit on 2-9-2011 by MBUK3D because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by asturel13

That's a bit off target there. The Middle Class is slowly being eroded but it exists. It's typically home owners with household income of typically of 40k-100K are considered Middle Class. The Middle Class is the backbone to the proseprity of a nation, which is why China wants to build a Middle Class. The people you refer to as millionaires are the Upper Class or High Class. Working Class is a bit of a redundant term now, as it got sucked up by the lower class and many moved in to the Middle Class, but I guess it tends to be people earning but in rented property, mostly private, but could also be state. Lower Class are the people who are better off more so than everyone else from simply existing in a state funded property sitting on their backsides pushing out babies every year and getting the ponse money for it! I refuse to call them working class, these people are not working class!

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Suspiria
reply to post by ChristianJihad

It's true many councils have sold their properties to Housing associations. My local council did, I live in one of those houses. They aren't all bad. Matter of fact since this one was handed over to one such association the area has gotten a hell of a lot better. Obviously the rents go up a little every year, a pound here or there but it's not crushing.

I also still have the right to buy..

We pay amongst other things £350 a month (4 bedroom house) and £40 a month council tax. Added benefit of a huge garden for the chilblains to play in and somewhere to grow my veggies.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Cripes Suspira how come i pay £114 a month council tax for a 2 bed
????

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join