It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I can't get a council house and its driving me mad!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I am about to become the proud father of my first child and as such I have been battling to get a council house. I need a council house because I just cannot afford to go private. I work for a reputable formula one company but evnn still, after paying rent (private) I would be left with around £250. No where near enough to raise a child.

So my only opition is to rent a (much cheeper) council house but alas I am being told I earn to much money. I am being told that my £1100 a month is plenty enough to cover; rising food and fuel price, baby stuff, rent, etc. After many arguments with the grunts I decied to write my MP. That was four weeks ago and big suprise, no reply.

When did this country decide to punish the hard working and reward the lazy?
When did it decide that immigrants have more rights than the natural born?
When did MP's decide my voice doesn't count?

I guess I will have to stay at my already overcrowd mothers house. I hate not being able to put a roof over my soulmates heads.

Damn I hate this #ry.

ALS

+32 more 
posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
IMHO, you should of thought about the financial cost of raising a child before you did the deed that results in baby making.

link   
reply to post by ALOSTSOUL

I know this will rub salt into the wound but......i have 2 at present lol

One Housing association and one Council.

link   
perhaps I should quit my job and sign on. Apparently this is the best way to get public housing.

ALS

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Nope....it doesnt work like that.

The waiting lists are long...because they give all the houses to immigrants.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Stovokor

Seriously, who does think about this things but that is neither here nor there. The fact of the matter is, I was under the notion that I work and pay my taxes so that I could recieve help from the state if needed.

ALS

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by loves a conspiricy

I know this will rub salt into the wound but......i have 2 at present lol

One Housing association and one Council.

Why do you have two?

ALS

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   

I was stabbed in march....in my HA property, i was put on the council register thing for a priority move...Aug 22nd i was given a council house.

Im having to pay 2 rents...1 for the council and 1 for the HA. I wrote to the HA and requested to end my tenancy, this takes 1 month. So my tenancy is due to end on 9th september.

I could keep the HA property if i could pay the rent. They were happy to receive 7 months of rent even whilst i wasnt there. (stayed with my parents after i was stabbed....PTSD)

I did think about sub letting, as this was allowed under my tenancy, but decided against it as i know there are MANY people in need of housing. This could be part the problem...people having multiple dwellings?

How many people would give a property back knowing they could make £500 a month above the rent the HA charge? Not many is my guess.

I sat on the housing list for 7 years before i was offered a property. I was paying £700 a month back in 1998 to rent privately.

There are bugger all properties now...people bought up a lot of the council houses...60% discount on the price. So a £100,000 property only cost them £40,000. (right to buy)
edit on 1-9-2011 by loves a conspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Bummer. When I got out of the Navy, jobs were piss poor, and I had a child due to be born. I worked 2 jobs to pay the rent. Sounds to me like you should do the same. I guess it's easier to just let someone else pay your way.

+6 more 
posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ALOSTSOUL

Seriously, who does think about this things but that is neither here nor there. The fact of the matter is, I was under the notion that I work and pay my taxes so that I could recieve help from the state if needed.

ALS

Why is it the responsibility of your neighbors and fellow tax payers to take care of you when you make bad decisions? That is not the governments job. This is partly the reason western governments are in the financial trouble they are in.

When businesses make bad choices, governments (i.e. Taxpayers have to bail them out), when governments make bad decisions like stupid wars..tax payers have to suffer, and when people start families they can't afford they want tax payers to support them...there's a huge flaw in this logic.

You made the decision to have sex, you are making the decision to have the baby and now you want tax payers to float the bill?? That's a problem. At what point do individuals become responsible for their decisions?

link   
You will not get a council house with 1 baby. Also you are put amongst whomever and your choice of where you live is limited. I know it seems that other groups of ethnics do seem to get council houses and flats but think about it. Where would you prefer to live? On a run down council estate or a private flat in an area you chose?
My advice is, find a nice private apartment/ flat or house, keep working, economize as much as you can, give your child a better start in life by the area you chose and if you loose your job you will get your rent paid for. You will be broke but you will survive. A lot of people starting out with a baby find costs really hard. Get a nice roof over your head within reason then work at the rest. Good luck

link   

So my only opition is to rent a (much cheeper) council house but alas I am being told I earn to much money. I am being told that my £1100 a month is plenty enough to cover; rising food and fuel price, baby stuff, rent, etc. After many arguments with the grunts I decied to write my MP. That was four weeks ago and big suprise, no reply.

I had no idea your wage disqualifies you from being able to acquire a council house???? Would there be a link on the Direct Gov website confirming this?? Part of the country you in?
Grtz on the baby btw

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

ALS

Oh dear......

+5 more 
posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stovokor

ALS

Why is it the responsibility of your neighbors and fellow tax payers to take care of you when you make bad decisions? That is not the governments job. This is partly the reason western governments are in the financial trouble they are in.

When businesses make bad choices, governments (i.e. Taxpayers have to bail them out), when governments make bad decisions like stupid wars..tax payers have to suffer, and when people start families they can't afford they want tax payers to support them...there's a huge flaw in this logic.

You made the decision to have sex, you are making the decision to have the baby and now you want tax payers to float the bill?? That's a problem. At what point do individuals become responsible for their decisions?

The guy only wants a house so his child can have its own room and you sound like your ready to make him dig his own grave and shoot him. Jesus christ, tighter then a ducks backside some people.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   

The fact of the matter is, I was under the notion that I work and pay my taxes so that I could recieve help from the state if needed.

posted on a conspiracy site, where the vast majority decry any sort of desire for or expectation of such 'Nanny State' type situations and scenarios

'help' is one thing, subsidies and the like, but to expect free room and board for simply having a job and paying taxes seems a bit of a stretch to me.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Unfortunately most of our taxes go to paying for wars and developing other nations.

There seems to be no money to build properties for people who need them. There was a new Redrow estate built near my mums last year....they have to give some to social housing....guess who got all these brand new houses and flats?? You got it....Somalians, Afghans and Iraqis.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by SearchLightsInc

ALS

The guy only wants a house so his child can have its own room and you sound like your ready to make him dig his own grave and shoot him. Jesus christ, tighter then a ducks backside some people.

Millions of them sucking the taxpayers teet dry.

He needs to get a second or third job, use family to supplement childcare, and live cheap..not put both hands out demanding people that make wise family planning decisions to help support the unwise choice he has made.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by sussy
You will not get a council house with 1 baby. Also you are put amongst whomever and your choice of where you live is limited. I know it seems that other groups of ethnics do seem to get council houses and flats but think about it. Where would you prefer to live? On a run down council estate or a private flat in an area you chose?
My advice is, find a nice private apartment/ flat or house, keep working, economize as much as you can, give your child a better start in life by the area you chose and if you loose your job you will get your rent paid for. You will be broke but you will survive. A lot of people starting out with a baby find costs really hard. Get a nice roof over your head within reason then work at the rest. Good luck

While this is a "short-term fix" idea, financially it is horrendous.
If you decide to continue with private housing the landlord may sky-rocket the rent after one of your lease's is up - The likelihood of this happening over the next few years - With no other council house's being built - is very high.

Council house's are not only cheaper on rent but you can buy after 2 years, therefore your paying dead money to a property you will never own. Not all council estates are bad, some of them are tolerable when you get used to the area. Im not saying you should allow your family to live in an area where people get stabbed and mugged in the street, but obviously council estates arent pretty.

Perhaps you should consider what the foreigners do and "Work the system" Split with your wife/gf, get her to get on council list, cant hurt to try.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   

ALS

NO he would be working and actually paying the rent unlike the majority of the people in council houses who are jobless and the government pays it for them as well as giving them free money for not even looking for work - the whole system is a joke - and if you ever find yourself to be unfortunate enough to be unemployed you are made to feel like complete scum when you go to look for work...

You really do have to be foreign to get a council property in England

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   

If you have lived in the borough for a set period of time and are a british citizen, you have the right to a council house. There are huge lists, but you should still be able to get on it, your priority may be low though, you may get further if your partner is not working and you are not together. I know this is how some people buck the system, and before you ask no i did not, i got mine fair and square.

I am classed as disabled and had to fight them tooth and nail for my property, eventually when i learned enough about hoqw they were allowed to treat me, i played them at their own game and beat them. If you are quiet and accept what they tell you, you will get nowhere, find out your rights, and give your housing officer plenty, if you are a pain you will get further.

My housing worker hated me because i would not accept her word for things, i bought her a bottle of shampers when i got my nice place to show there were no hard feelings lol.

edit on 1-9-2011 by brommas because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join