It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rap music is an absolute joke

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by sir_slide

Originally posted by Dr Cosma
What a waste of server space.
Get a life.

Amazing rebuttal there! Sorry if I offended you by insulting a genre that you like, but it's true.

reply to post by spav5

I can kind of see what you mean, though John didnt really go around shooting at people and generally being offensive, he was a lout of course, but his actions were not that far from his message. It's interesting that you mention the thesis, I'm planning on writing one about everything that is wrong with the music industry, all genres included. I am singling out rap in this rant because I guess it pisses me off the most and I find it to be an absolute joke mostly, of course there are lots of good rappers and bands out there and I'm not looking hard enough, although I can tell you honestly that I used to be very into Hip hop and know all of the best stuff around in my opinion, I'm sure a few good rappers have popped up since then, but I've been listening and what I'm hearing makes me embarrassed for the 'artist'.

Err, no, see that's the problem, it's not true. It's just you ranting like an angry friar.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
rap is a joke. yeah F*cking right.

LOL XD NOOB

edit on 1-9-2011 by Gwampo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by MBUK3D

Appreciated totally. But BELIEVE ME and I don't know how much more I can say this but I am very well schooled in Hip Hop, especially the elements and I can't exactly go into that here. Mix master mike is one of the best DJ's in the world, of course he's good, he's banned from DMC, same with Qbert etc and I get what you're saying about that Robert Johnson sample, Come on in my kitchen i think it is, but I would argue the opposite, didn't advance it, he should have left it alone in my opinion. I know Roc Raida also, good DJ, very good at mixing other peoples music, juggling it, changing it.
Again Dj Premiere, great DJ, never said he wasn't, his beats are real funky and his stuff with guru has great beats behind it, all mpc though, so its sampled basically unless he plays all the instruments himself which is unlikely. Mad Lib and J dilla sound pretty awesome, I respect musianship in a major way.

So anyway I don't think I have it wrong at all, I just think you're pointing out the best DJ's and acting like that is what everyone is listening to, not the case.

reply to post by Dr Cosma

And what are you doing? Trolling/Flaming whatever you want to call it, I have offered a well thought out argument as to why rap music IS and ALWAYS WILL BE a joke, whereas you have offered nothing, squat. So offer something or leave the comments to yourself.

reply to post by Gwampo

Nice one buddy!
Very well thought out, loved the auto tune on the vocal.....
edit on 1-9-2011 by sir_slide because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Here is some positive rap, not your typical gangsta rap crap. this talks about god and wisdom and such. Let me know what yall think? www.reverbnation.com...
edit on 1-9-2011 by supermanning because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by sir_slide

You make some good points. But I gotta contend a couple here.

1)Rap is music. Sorry but people dont dance to things that aren't music. People dance to rap, its music. It might not be music you like but its music.

2) Sampling is not stealing. You mention Muddy Waters and all these blues musicians who play each other's songs. How is that not stealing? Eric Clapton is the biggest theif of all time then. He plays Cocaine (written by JJ Cale), I Shot The Sheriff, Knockin on Heavens Door and thats not stealing? Cmon. Bob Dylan stole TONS of songs then. He didnt write those traditional songs like Man of Constant Sorrow. All art steals from other art. Thats the nature of it. Its not stealing, its influence.

3) Rap vs Hip Hop. Most people are simply exposed to all those names you listed in the OP. Yes DMX is awful at what he does, but so is nearly everyone else on the radio. Rap is the same as all music...the stuff the corporations want you to listen to is complete trash. The real music is out there. There's great hip hop being made. Check out Immortal Technique, Del Tha Funky Homosapien, Macklemore, Sage Francis, Aesop Rock...I could go on forever. Dont paint all rap a bad name because the stuff ont he radio is crap. All radio music is crap...buy an iPod and make your own musical decisions.

4) Instruments vs rapping. Sorry but most people who live in complete ghettos cant afford a guitar, amp, lessons, etc. Consider yourself lucky that you have the money, time and culture around you to become an instrumentalist. But in the ghetto, all you have is your voice. So thats the instrument.

5) Musically, rap is about the beat and the percussive quality of the voice. The timbre of the voice is important. Yes, many beats sound the same...thats because many producers are uncreative....if they were creative they wouldnt be producers you see? There are DJ's who make seriously mindbending beats for rappers. Once again, you gotta search them out. Check out Dan the Automator and Ant who does beats for nearly all the Rhymesayers label (Atmosphere, Brother Ali, etc)

6) Commercial rap got dangerous. Tupac and Biggie were telling people to wake up to the horrors around them. They got killed for it (by who? who cares. They died because of their message). Now, because rich people really dont want poor people finding their power, they changed the game. The rich record execs only hire rappers rapping about money, cars and hoes. They're basically selling poor people (especially poor black people) the American Dream (see Obama for further illustration of this). But we all know the American Dream is a lie. We cant be president. We prolly wont even leave our economic class. But if you hear Ja-Rule rappin about how he's got $40,000 jewelry it makes you think you can do it too. The overall effect of most rap music on the radio is to make us more complacent in our run down ghetto apartments and crappy jobs (if we're lucky enough to even have a job)

So dont generalize when it comes to rap. Theres lots of good stuff out there, even for white boys.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by GmoS719

I don't agree with you. I don't like rap that much, but not because of the reasons you've stated.

You could say the same about any type of music.
Maybe you're a racist. jk

edit on 31-8-2011 by GmoS719 because: (no reason given)

10points for the first "race card!" thrown down.
You can't spell "c-r-a-p" without "r-a-p"!

C'mon; seriously? this garbage is what passes for "music" today???

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by doctornamtab

You make some really good points. Although when it comes to the blues what you must remember is that people like muddy waters, muddy especially sometimes would play other peoples songs, now in this case we are referring to Willie Dixon, and he was always credited and received his chunk even if it was small (they all got ripped off in those days). Another common thing is for people to perform blues traditionals and standards, some songs going way back and some not, but these are standards, anyone can play them. Big difference is that its usually the way in which the singer or player interprets the tune that makes it special, and this only applies blues standards and the odd cover. We are not talking about constructing an entire song made up of instruments that you didn't play.

I do not know how much longer I can say it, although here it goes again: I know all of the rappers that you listed and have listened to all of them in my time and my opinion doesnt change at all. I am very educated as far as hip hop goes, believe me. Only really listen to the radio when I drive as my cd player is busted, otherwise its something out of the library, fats waller at the moment. Atmospheres beats are amazing, nice mention.

A very valid point you make about people not being able to afford instruments in the ghetto, I appreciate that. Though I do wonder if people would actually go and buy a guitar instead of a turntable most of the time, or even be interested in the guitar, turntables outsold guitars by a scary figure last year.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply, appreciate the thought you put into it. Cheers

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   

And what are you doing? Trolling/Flaming whatever you want to call it, I have offered a well thought out argument as to why rap music IS and ALWAYS WILL BE a joke, whereas you have offered nothing, squat. So offer something or leave the comments to yourself.

1) No im not trolling.
2) No one will care what you say, only your little buddies, remember that.
3) You aint offered nada, if you used the search on Ats youd find out that this subject has already been debated, your loss not mine.

At the end of the day all you have done is picked what you dont like.
That can be done with anything, so no mate, rap is not a joke....

Now make me stop discussing it and i'll give you a cookie.

So, this thread should be called "I believe rap is a joke (because nobody wants to listen to my music, they make all the money and my girl fancies 50 cent...or something like that)"

Like I said I dont think rap is a joke I think it's great...now what?

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Only one rap song I really like.

January 1981, number one on the US Billboard Chart.

What a babe.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
You know, i used to hate rap too

I am a Metal Head, Love metal, love music in general come to think of it. But keep an open mind to music and you'll find little nuggets of entertainment in it. I do agree that rap is not what it used to be, but there are still non-mainstream rappers that you might enjoy.

Prime example of this? Tech N9ne. Love his music to death, its not this BS new crap, some of the best flow i've heard in awhile. Give it a listen, good songs

You can't say all rap is like this new bs

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Or how about some Immortal Technique?

THIS SONG HAS A GOOD MESSAGE! LISTEN TO IT!

Caps lock is cruise control for cool

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   

I bet me and you sir_slide, know and feel this about mainstream rap for years and years.
I get pissed seeing how theses fakes are getting the attention and how this attention is not to power peace love and freedom...

It's all about ego, only that.

There is so much more to life then ego, has we are connected in ways where ego just gets in the way of evolution.

I'm a musician myself and I write my own stuff and try to be original but still stay in something accessible.
Seriously, hear this stuff and you will like it, hell, everyone likes it if they listen to it.
I just wish I would have more attention heh
Not for my stupid ego, that part I don't need no one to boost it, it's right where it needs to be.

More attention to send out a message, make a change, make people WAKE UP!

Bitches, gunz and moneh < Love, freedom and justice

edit on 1-9-2011 by User8911 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by AzureSky

A good message put out by a guy named for a gun? Seems contradictory to me.

CJ

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by ColoradoJens
reply to post by AzureSky

A good message put out by a guy named for a gun? Seems contradictory to me.

CJ

Actually, he didnt use that name at first. Another fellow rapper (forget whom) gave him the name after comparing the way he spits in relation to a gun.

He is fast as hell, love it. lol

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Music, like it or not is an expression of the times to a particular subculture. I don't like the sound of it either but to call it a joke is ignorant. Anything that is created out of thin air like a song, a rap, a poem, etc is art...like it or not. Country music keeps it's people in a limited paradigm as well...think about it's overall message. Bottom line music is free speech delivered in a creative way...adding your negative spin to what you perceive as a negative piece of music just adds negativity to negativity. This seems like a poor idea.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Cosma
What a waste of server space.
Get a life.

Err, no, see that's the problem, it's not true. It's just you ranting like an angry friar.

Now make me stop discussing it and i'll give you a cookie.

IF that isnt trolling then I don't know what is. I don't really understand why you feel so slighted, if you like rap then that's fine, not a personal attack on you, stop making this about me and my supposed 'little buddies' that you seem to refer to. My music is doing absolutely fine actually, I am not going to really talk with you about it but I'm doing just fine, believe me.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   

I am very thankful you made this thread.

I have been saying it for years.
As a musician,I take pride in learning to actually play an instrument.
I absolutely hate rap and anything associated with it.

I know how to wear a hat,a pair of pants and to treat a woman right and can play a few musical instruments...stupid me.
Music is just not what it use to be and the culture of it is even stupider.
I use to listen to run dmc until i saw how dumb rap was getting.
I'll stick to musicianship over bubblegum.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Well if you come out with silly thing's then that's what happens.

I can say, "movies are crap because message in a bottle was crap, that's it!"

So this thread is a waste of server space and an epic fail and you know it.

I'll leave you with your ranting after all it's in the ranting section.

Before I leave, just wana say that your music must be crap if you think the way you do, if it was going really good you wouldnt be posting here, you wouldnt have the time.

bye bye kareoke sir.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Lmao, rappers/hip-hop artists today only need a catchy beat made from they're electronic keyboard and a person that can repeat the same thing over and over again for the duration of the song.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   

ahahah look mate I'll just leave you to it, peace.

reply to post by User8911

Damn straight! Cheers for the thoughtful response, nice tunes bro

edit on 1-9-2011 by sir_slide because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join