I can't stand rap. Since we're ranting, here's a quick list of reasons why:
1. The bass. I don't know if I'll ever get people fixation with bass. There is an entire spectrum of sound to enjoy. To basically worship the bass and
ignore the treble doesn't make any sense to me.
2. Emphasis of lyrics over music. I prefer it the other way around; music is more important to me than words.
3. The poor quality of lyrics. Considering the afore-mentioned emphasis on the lyrics, it's ironic that they would be so bad. I mean this both
grammatically and poetically.
4. Besides the poor quality of the lyrics, the actual subject matter is... not something that I want to listen to. People bragging about qualities
that I don't respect in the first place? No thanks.
5. The "sampling" of songs that I grew up with. I know it's just my nostalgia talking, but it's beyond irritating to hear a song that I loved get
mutilated...the horror of witnessing a 5-second snippet of a childhood song get ripped out, chopped up, and looped over and over, all while some
narcissist goes on about a party or some girl shaking her ass or something... it's almost heart-breaking, honestly. You kids think I'm being a drama
queen? Give it another 20 years and you'll see exactly what I mean.
Also, it's really NOT that difficult to come up with original music, especially the simple loops that rap songs use. Ask any musician.
6. Emphasis of a beat at the expense of a good melody. Between this and number 1, the actual MUSIC of a rap song often seems like an afterthought.
Sometimes it even seems like they even forget to put music in most of the song, like with Black-Eyed Peas "boom boom pow".
7. The sound of the rapping itself is annoying to me; I'd much rather hear singing.
8. It's everywhere. Every other song has to "feature" some rapper nowadays. To give you an idea of how obnoxious this is, imagine every other song
featuring some death metal vocalist. Would you like to hear cookie monster death growls on the radio all the time? That's how it feels for someone who
So as you can see, it's really not likable to me on ANY level.
HOWEVER, that said... rap doesn't suck. I used to say that in high school, along with my "rocker" and "stoner" friends. But I don't anymore, because
it's not true. The truth is that I just don't like it, and the reasons why are my personal preferences. To say otherwise is to state my opinion as
fact, and that is something that I'm trying to grow out of..
edit on 15-9-2011 by thepixelgarden because: (no reason given)
edit on 15-9-2011 by thepixelgarden because: (no reason