It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rap music is an absolute joke

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   

edit on 1-9-2011 by User8911 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by User8911

Damn straight! Cheers for the thoughtful response, nice tunes bro

edit on 1-9-2011 by sir_slide because: (no reason given)

Thanks ^^

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by User8911

Oh I edited my post, nice beats man, super funk tech, reminds me of Infected mushroom. Nice one

reply to post by DrumsRfun

Same with me, I absolutely take pride in my musicianship. This is what gets me the most. I guess we could start making hip hop beats and blow some dudes out of the water....

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Cosma

Personal attacks and strawman arguments only make you have less credibility.
Is this a topic that hits too close to home??

I see you have a quote by that idiot too short in your sig.
Get personal much??

Isn't he the guy who did the tune...A b***h is a b***h??
www.youtube.com...
Very classy.

edit on 1-9-2011 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   

You cannot say that ALL recent rap sucks, its impossible and makes you look like a fool. That is if that's what you were implying as i have clearly shown here not all of it is this new generation of rap and hip hop. The times change, and people like that kind of music.

I personally dont, most of it is crap. Some of its alright. But there are still a few rappers out there that are not like that.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I was caught in heavy traffic the other day, and a guy next to me had his windows down, and I could hear a steady stream of filth coming from his car, which was vibrating, by the way. It was filled with obscenities, and death wishes for law enforcement, girlfriends, advocating domestic violence.

I couldn't wait until the light changed to get away from it. I did try to catch his eye so I could roll my eyes at him, but never did. lol.

On the fair side, I told some friends about it, and they said it's not all like that.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Haha. That is EXACTLY the type of music that is being discussed here. Lame o B this B that F her F that I gots my gun and $...that was BAD.

CJ

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting
I was caught in heavy traffic the other day, and a guy next to me had his windows down, and I could hear a steady stream of filth coming from his car, which was vibrating, by the way. It was filled with obscenities, and death wishes for law enforcement, girlfriends, advocating domestic violence.

I couldn't wait until the light changed to get away from it. I did try to catch his eye so I could roll my eyes at him, but never did. lol.

On the fair side, I told some friends about it, and they said it's not all like that.

Sure isnt all like that!
But that guy was a douche, when i pull up to the lights i turn my stereo down as to not annoy anyone, its just common courtesy.
That guy had no manners,

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by AzureSky

Man I appreciate your input, truly, but you're missing what I have written. Even in the OP I listed rappers I like, throughout the thread I have bought up people who I think are talented and make good tunes and have said this, you need to read what I'm saying. For the record I rather like Mr Lif (seen him live), Public Enemy (them too), Rakim, early Nas, EPMD, J5, De La Soul, Pharoe Monch and a few others. I deem the rest mostly crap. Nowhere did I say that ALL rap music is offensively awful, just the majority of it, including the attitude it brings with it.

reply to post by ColoradoJens

Amen! Too short is terrible, I guess he is a pimp.....couldn't expect much else could you.

reply to post by ladyinwaiting

Oh that is just the worst, and part of what I mean about it becoming a problem. How is it cool to blast obscenities from your car while sitting in traffic? If you did it yourself you'd be tasered and arrested, especially if you were repeating what was actually said in the rap, you'd definitely get tasered.

I just really find it obnoxious that people think its cool to do this, I guess its because its acceptable in the mainstream, again part of the problem that I was referring to.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by GmoS719
reply to post by sir_slide

I did read it. I'm just asking you why are you singling out Rap / Hip Hop?
Why don't you criticize Death Metal, or Country?
Both of these seem to have more crap in them than Rap in my opinion.

thats fine have your opinion, but the op is trying to get his opinion across about rap, (just rap) I'm sure he could go into other types of music, but really just let the guy have his opinion, just like you have yours about death metal or country, or maybe you could start a reply thread about country, or death metal with your opinion. As much as you disagree with the op opinion, he does state some valid arguments, and lets not forget, its just an opinion.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Heartisblack
I really can't stand it either, I prefer acoustics, a little screamo at times, welsh and french folk music. Things like that and I am black, I can't understand what is the point of that music and it's usually demeaning lyrics.

I honestly beleive it is to generally dumb down the american youth. Think of how many kids want to look and act like these guys only to end up looking like a fat kid who losat a bunch of weight but could not get new clothes. Then when "yo" ends every sentence you (impressed youth) also sound like a scholar (sarcasm).

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by sir_slide
reply to post by AzureSky

Man I appreciate your input, truly, but you're missing what I have written. Even in the OP I listed rappers I like, throughout the thread I have bought up people who I think are talented and make good tunes and have said this, you need to read what I'm saying. For the record I rather like Mr Lif (seen him live), Public Enemy (them too), Rakim, early Nas, EPMD, J5, De La Soul, Pharoe Monch and a few others. I deem the rest mostly crap. Nowhere did I say that ALL rap music is offensively awful, just the majority of it, including the attitude it brings with it.

Ah sorry, i must have missed that part. Sorry about that

And i can agree, most of it is crap, F this F that, all that garbage. Because thats what our children need to listen to right?
Like The Game..haha, thought 50 cent has some songs i like, most of them are thumbs down.
I only listen to rap like that sometimes in the car, because a lot of it has really hard basslines, Which i like more than the lyrics themselves in most respects, cept for the previously mentioned awesome rappers

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   

I actually made some electronic music just for the purpose of showing people how easy it was with a computer.
Rap doesn't impress me.....musicianship does.
Mozart would laugh at rap.
Learn to play an instrument and quit using cheap gimmicks like b**** and n****s and women and money and profanity.(as much as I like cussing)
THAT will impress me more then some idiots who care about what others think and have to wear their pants around their ankles so they can fit in while wearing a hat that makes them look like special ed kids who have never worn a hat before.
The culture and society today really makes me cringe when thinking about the future.
It kind of reminds me of the movie Idiocracy.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Can't we at least all agree that Kanye sucks?

Every time he "raps" it sounds like he's trying to chew each word before it gets out of his mouth.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Hip-Hop and Rap are two different things in my opinion. Hip-Hop is a movement a way of life.
The Five elements of Hip-Hop are MCing, Djaying, Graffiti Artistry and BBoying/Break dancing and Knowledge.

Hip Hop music takes something that exists and twists it to make it their own. It is spawned from a culture that could not afford their own instruments so they reused existing samples, beats and made it their own. they expressed themselves in a totally unique way and it has spoken to more people globally than any other cultural movement.

Unfortunately these days there is so much absolute rubbish out there and it makes me sick that real hip hop is thrown into it all. I blame the money it corrupts anything and everything. When hip hop came outta the bronx it was never about the money it was about urban youths having a good time and doing something for themselves by themselves. Some rappers now are like circus clowns with all their bling and boasting its a disgrace.

I also don’t like the disrespecting of women and the glorification of violence or drug dealing but dammm there have been some banging Hip-Hop tunes out there that have just done that. I'm listening to snoops debut album doggy style right now, it is sooo disrespectful to women but my good god its a great sounding album.

I think you can still like that type of music and not have to agree with what their saying, just like I can watch Goodfellas or any other violent movie and appreciate it for being cool.

If you want to find good hip hop that is still being created, turn off your radio turn off your TV sets. As the Godfather of Rap said, the revolution will not be televised.

Peace and Love

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   

I cannot begin to thank you for that post enough! Sheer brilliance my friend. I was just thinking idiocracy when you were talking about the future and then boom. Sheer brilliance man!

reply to post by deadmessiah

Oh definitely, he can't even sing in tune, on top of that he's personally an absolute atrocity. Anyone with that kind of money can produce songs that sound good, but when the thing is that then he comes in, ruins it, his voice is rubbish. Plus he's a total gimp.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Yep, mainstream rap music is complete garbage, I completely agree. You should change the thread title to "Mainstream Rap music is an ABSOLUTE JOKE"

Here are some of the artists that I listen to, I'll post a song from each one. Listen to those songs if you guys have the time and tell me if they sound like an "absolute joke". If you don't want to listen to all of them, just listen to the Immortal Technique song and hear what real rap music is.

Immortal Technique:

Tupac:

Biggie Smalls:

Non Phixion:

Eminem (Early Eminem, he's a sell-out now and his new music sucks):

edit on 1-9-2011 by TupacShakur because: To edit my post

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Rap music died in 95. now it is all Hip POP. most of them wear there wealth, it is a Jamaican thing i think. not to mention that 90% or more have never been to African.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Don't blame the rappers, blame the record labels!

There was a time when "artists" were signed, and not these "acts".
I blame TPTB for the type of rap being promoted.
I learned about metaphysics from KRS 1, intricate rhyme schemes from Rakim, black pride from Public Enemy,,,,and that's when the problem started.It was too powerful (still is, but with a different message)
Rappers have a lot of influence on the youth. Hell if Pac wanted to, he could have started a revolution all by himself!

TPTB know this, so they shifted the content, via who gets a record deal and who doesn't. It's a way to keep black youth ignorant and immature vs conscientious and proud.

It's modern day Shuckin and Jivin

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by TupacShakur

I think it's a bit late to change it, although I get your point man. A lot of people here seem to be very into Immortal technique, he never really did much for me, although I do understand that his stuff is pretty deep. I really like Biggie, it's funny that you mention Non Phixion as I've actually seen them live, although I would have to say that they are just kinda crack and coke heads who are pretty hardcore and write mean raps. Cheers for the response Tupac

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join