It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook want me to upload a government ID with photograph to them !!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   
I use Facebook due to my business (Photographer) and have done for a couple of years now. Yesterday FB changed some of their design to include drop down menu`s etc to aid privacy.

Today I try to log on to be met with the notice my profile has been disabled while offering various reasons for this.

Each reason leads to the following page...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9646fbb79680.jpg[/atsimg]

Why on earth would FB need an id that must include a photograph... I guess the need to know everything about us has just gone into overdrive.

edit on 31-8-2011 by captiva because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by captiva

This is because someone, somewhere, reported your facebook account. This could be for several reasons but it's usually because you actually are required to use your real name, they don't catch them all, but if someone complained you get this.

google+ is infinitely more strict when it comes to this.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

But I am using my real name and how would a photograph verify this if they dont know what I look like?

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
i hope Anon or someone brings their crap down in November

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by captiva

Facebook needs to know all, as another poster stated someone probably reported you or maybe one of the ABC agencies has requested them to find out your true identity.

I have just finished deleting my profile, It took 4 weeks in total to erase myself from social media no more facebook no myspace no anything not even a result from google.

I have thrown the monkey from my back and let me tell you it feels wonderful.

tlasalt

ps:Facebook is a distraction from reality but i love the real world,

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by thedarktower
Why do you hope anon brings down their Crap in November? Why not just protest by not utilizing the resource?

Make a new page. I would not send them anything.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   
A quick google search turned this up: Mysterious Bug Disables Facebook Accounts

It doesn't look like there is any way around it. Even came across a few reports of accounts being permanently disabled even AFTER the affected users uploaded a copy of their driver's license...they were met with a notification that "Unfortunately, we will not be able to reactivate this account for any reason. This decision is final."

I had never heard of Facebook asking for government ID until you brought this up. It sounded fishy at first, like perhaps your browser was being redirected to an identity theft malicious website. Sorry to hear of your trouble. One of the many reasons I dislike Facebook is because of issues like this.

All i can say is good luck to you - you may need to open a new account using a different email address.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
If you are going to use Facebook to do your business then you have to comply with whatever silly rules they have. If you don't agree don't use their service. It isn't a free right that you deserve or are entitled to have... and you don't have a say in how they run their website.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by captiva

Don't do it. I know it sucks because I use facebook for my photos as well and I know how ticked off I would be if this happened, but asking for a photo ID is too much. Honestly, who do they think they are?

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by tlasalt
reply to post by captiva

I have just finished deleting my profile, It took 4 weeks in total to erase myself from social media no more facebook no myspace no anything not even a result from google.

tlasalt

Please tell me how you erased your google search results, please, or direct to me a link, would be great.

The thing with fb is - I never ever thought I would like it, but I have met some incredible people through it, all because our pm shut down our parliament for awhile. I have learned some life changing stuff through info distributed by people I have never met personally, but have enriched my life and intellect amazingly. And, just to note, I had a full and enriched life before fb...

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by brent81

Interesting that the article says females, because the last time I looked I was still a guy !..Also how does a photograph ensure they are turning over controll to the right and not wrong people !! crazy stuff indeed.

respects

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by tlasalt
reply to post by captiva

tlasalt

Yes! Please tell how you did this! There are other ladies who share my name but how do I just get rid of me?

Also, I am on the PTO at my kids school, when I tried to make a page for it, facebook asked for an ID as well. I deccided against it. There is no reason they need all that info for a page.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater

Why do you hope anon brings down their Crap in November? Why not just protest by not utilizing the resource?

Make a new page. I would not send them anything.

i wouldnt make a new page that makes no sense. Only reason i ever use it is to talk to the 2 or 3 people that live far from me and thats it. If its brought down i guess i can do it the old fashioned way and either phone, write or meet them

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I don't use my real name, and they won't let me change it to my real name

Lines sorry

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by captiva

But I am using my real name and how would a photograph verify this if they dont know what I look like?

Because your photo Id would show your name and address. They aren't asking for a photo, they are asking for a scanned government issued Photo ID that shows your picture, name, DOB, etc.

People setting up fake facebook accounts under other peoples names (the reason you are going through this now) rarely provide photo id.
edit on 31-8-2011 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

I understand that, but they are not looking for address only name and DOB. That is info they will already have so why need a photograph to further enhance it. Whatever they are up to, I refuse to send a photograph. They could have asked for a driving license without photograph to prove I am that name with that birthday.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   

I hope Anon brings you down.

What do you care what people use FB for? If you don't like it, don't use it. Let everyone else be.

Anon are bullies. I do NOT agree with what they do. I get their point but it is only hurting those they say they are "fighting" for or whatever term you want to use.

Bringing down FB only hurts the users not the owners. You think they care? No, they still get paid.

Anon are bullies.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Bringing down FB only hurts the users not the owners

I don't agree with that, they would lose a lot of advertising revenue if the site was taken down

I do however agree with your second line

edit on 31-8-2011 by Pockets because: To add Con-tent!

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I also ran into a similar problem. They expected me to provide them with a scan of my passport. They have no rights whatsoever to the information they are asking for, so I simply refused and make do without their services. I managed all of my life without facebook, I dont need it now.
edit on 31-8-2011 by Firefly_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
lol...i mean if you really want to play the game, download a template of your states ID card...

open up PS CS5...Add the most hilarious picture from facebook you can find, put the address as something hilarious such as google headquarters, take a pic of it on your screen and crop and send it to them....

Facebook....4deLULZ.

*awaits.my.fb.to.be.deactivated*

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join