It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survey Results: Origins and Evolution

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
ATSers are not religious loonies who believe in made up stories created by organized religion so they could make a buck and get power.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

It's a shame that loudest ones are and that the "majority" don't speak up against these "loonies" when they're spouting their hatred all over the boards.
edit on 30/8/11 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 05:13 AM
link   
I was hoping that one of the most important questions should have been asked...

"The origins of human life on planet earth are the result of a combination of terrestrial dna and extraterrestrial dna, defined by the science of genetics, engineered thousands of years ago."

OP, you must run a separate poll on this question. I think it is very important to understand how people feel how we may have arrived here in our current state.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Lets hope some of those Goverment type bams, alphabet agencies pay some attention to those stats, realise we are ready and we get the long awaited disclosure! The time is right eh?

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

Originally posted by GmoS719
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

I figured more people would lean towards creation.
hmmm.
I'll pray for the world today.

ATSers are not religious loonies who believe in made up stories created by organized religion so they could make a buck and get power.

Sorry to burst your bubble.
edit on 29-8-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

Yeah they simply believe in made up stories by a seminary drop out who simply stole the beliefs of ancient Greeks in that life created itself (Darwin)

And by the way, ATS is full of its own type of loonies who believe: lights in the sky prove aliens exist, the hidden planet of Niburu is going to kill us, NASA is covering up the truth about the comet Elenin because it is going to kill us, New Zealand is in a different location relative to Australia, HAARP is responsible for all natural disasters, the Anunuki were alien hybrids responsible for all ancinet technology... So is the pot still calling the kettle black?

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wookiep

Originally posted by RevelationGeneration
reply to post by Wookiep

Most Christians say 6000 years ago. Why?? Because some guy used a metaphor in the new testament??

Hi, although I agree almost totally with the points you have made, I take issue with the one above. This whole 6,000 year thing dates to an assertion made by an Archbishop in the 17th Century I believe, who even narrowed the day the Earth was created. To say 'most Christians' believe this is very misleading - I'd suggest it is only really supported by Creationist fundamentalists and is not a fair reflection of everyone.

Link for reference -

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   
The part with creators could be true only explained in Ancient Astronaut theory. There is some evidence that we did not evolve from those primitive animals at least not directly, without help. The link that I posted isn't talking about aliens at all, it adds errors in the DNA - mutations and viruses as a reason to become what we are. Still Darwin's theory can shut up.

And that is the only case 'creators' could be true, some other civilization, human or non-human that decided to call themselves Gods or creators and played God.

Religion fails here, as they take all literally ignoring the event of misinterpretation.

Anyway my opinion is, mixture of evolution, genetic engineering and mutations. Why not? All taken together?

And why I think there is some other civilization similar to us to make us what we are today - do you think that from UGLY ASTRALOPHITECUS or UGLY APES our fur would fall, we would become beatiful? Because through mutation or evolution turning into somethign beatiful HELLO?

We are beatiful that's right, compared to Greys, reptilians, animals we look beatiful? We look perfect. Can mutation and evolution perfect us so well? I think NOT. Thus the idea that we may be a separate species, partially, coming from someone else.

Give me a reason HOW evolution can make us so perfect in look, so clean and beatiful, so thinking compared to animals? I don't think so. Thus Ancient Aliens theory where ALIENS could be wrong and be simply another civilization - is the most plausible answer.
edit on 30-8-2011 by Imtor because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by RevelationGeneration
reply to post by Gorman91

That's because your not a true Christian my friend. Do you not recognize the authority of the bible of being the inspired word of God? Without genesis The Bible is worthless and the whole Christian faith should be scraped.
edit on 29-8-2011 by RevelationGeneration because: (no reason given)

This really is just becoming your personal opinion. The whole concept of Christianity is based on the new Testament and the life of Christ. Kind of helps if you accept its prequel though.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   
This poll gives me hope for our education system...even if 10-20% are demonstrably still delusional.

The scary thing is, we now have some of those crazy 10-20% run for office...Bachmann comes to mind. We can't have delusional people in power!!

edit on 30-8-2011 by MrXYZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   

And there I was thinking ATS'ers' were slowly devolving into ignorance......maybe the enlightened ones were just being quiet waiting for this survey

Thank god (ha ha) scientific enlightenment wins out over religious dogma.

I would be interested in a geographical split on some of the questions.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

I too found it odd that he would say that, given the nature of the interchange at hand. I found it even odder that directly below the part you quoted, he quoted Titus 1:10-13, saying:

Titus 1:10-13, “For there are many unruly and vain talkers and deceivers, specially they of the circumcision: Whose mouths must be stopped, who subvert whole houses, teaching things which they ought not, for filthy lucre's sake. One of themselves, even a prophet of their own, said, The Cretians are alway liars, evil beasts, slow bellies. This witness is true. Wherefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith.

Now, for anyone versed in things biblical, it would be shocking to quote that particular passage directly after having been called out for doing that very thing, which is why I bolded a particularly ironic portion of the quote from his post. I was calling him on the carpet, and he didn't make an especially good showing of realizing what had been done.

False prophets? Consider what a prophet is, false or not, then replay that whole interchange.

Prophets claim to be God's mouthpieces, and the false ones will claim there are things in the Bible which simply aren't there, claiming that God said things that he in no way said. 'Nuff said.

edit on 2011/8/30 by nenothtu because: italics didn't work in the quoted part. Duh! so I changed it to bold.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by CryHavoc

Originally posted by Centurionx
I drink the true spiritual milk that flows from the Father.

Pssst... I hate to tell you this, but milk comes from Mothers.

If you're drinking from a Father and you're a guy - I got some bad news for you, you wacky Fisher of Men, you...

But that would explain why all of those Catholic Priests are molesting little boys.
edit on 30-8-2011 by CryHavoc because: (no reason given)

Cute. Really.

Your mockery is flattering to say the least, matter of fact I am glad these things remain hidden to blind people such as yourself. Oh yea, did you know everything you believe to be 'real' is false? That you are programmed to become an Atheist through mass hypnosis? So that you and the religions mutually destroy each other. I did'nt think so.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   
And like a broken record, the good old Science vs Religion "debate" will continue on and on, round and round until everyone has earache.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
yay i'm a religious wacko! I believe even crazier stuff than most of the people on
ATS, so quit picking on each other! pick on me instead. i'm an attention starved theorist!
come get ya some wacky!
edit on 30-8-2011 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by RevelationGeneration

God's word is enough. But truth can be fantasy sometimes. When he gives me a mission through my dreams, it is fantasy, but I believe it to be true, and things usually go according to the plan.

Science = fantasy. We give it our best guess based off available evidence, but until a time machine is invented, that's all we can do. I believe evolution is true because the data shows it, and I see nothing in the bible that says it doesn't exist.

Furthermore, your inability to answer my statements on North America and others, coupled with the constant rain of emails I get from other people telling me I shouldn't deal with you and that they all got foe'd, leads me to believe that the only false prophet here is you, causing division and hatred. Well I'm not going to stand for such ignorance. Either admit your fault, or go away.
edit on 30-8-2011 by Gorman91 because: le spelling

edit on 30-8-2011 by Gorman91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Excellent post mate.

(and thank you)

Cheers.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Survey results came out just as predicted. It's no wonder any thread started with a religious context is jumped on by 5000 posters completely derailing the thread and turning it into a flame war.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

Hello, Wookie. I think you and I may be on the same side this time, more or less.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   

These are the exact results I was expecting for a few reasons. Firstly, ATS is a pretty intelligent community and that requires at least a little faith in science, something that can be tested and proven or dis proven.

Secondly, and most importantly, the vocal minority of creationists here are, as to be expected, extremely vocal. Taken as a snapshot it would lead some to believe that we would expect more balanced results. The problem is, the vocal minority is just that, the minority, as the numbers show. Yes they are loud and sometimes obnoxious, but they are in no way even close to the majority.

Lastly, I think part of the results show that, while the creationists are willing to spew their opinions and insults in each and every thread they encounter, those of us more inclined to lean towards science are fed up with it and refuse to "feed the trolls" so instead of debating them (which is impossible) we just smile, keep our mouths shut, and wait for the poll.

Well done again ATS

---Edit to Add---

Just in case you didn't know, one of the main facets of science is to produce a theory, test it, apply it, and see if it's correct. Science doesn't say it's "right" science says "this fits" until something better comes along. All scientific theories are not only testable, they are FALSIFIABLE.

A basic tenet of science is the willingness to be proven wrong.

This simply does not exist in religion and no argument can be made that it does, gods word, infallible, yada yada.

I see people here parroting that douche Mike Rivero "the big bang is religion disguised as science" "the LHC is science attempting to talk to "god" (higgs boson, "god particle")

Not only does saying these things show your utter lack of knowledge on the subject, it's completely wrong. Science doesn't have to tell you why, it tries to tell you HOW. Science is willing to be wrong, and when it is, new theories are developed and tested.

Think about it.

"the earth is millions of years old because we tested with carbon dating"
"carbon dating is a fraud because the bible says 6000 or 4000 years not millions"

"We have scientifically proven that micro-evolution is indeed taking place and anyone with the equipment can see this"
"Evolution doesn't exist because god created man and woman just like the bible says"

We are never going to agree on any of this but possibly 1 single fact. Nothing in science, in our current physics models, and quantum physics theories, rules out a creator. Nothing can even attempt to say what came before this universe as it's impossible for our human brains to comprehend. Just as something living in 2 dimensions could simply not comprehend a 3rd dimension, we can't begin to understand what came before.

And this is the thing I've never understood, why are some so hell bent on denying proven science when they merely need to adapt their bible to our reality. No, god didn't fart and create the heavens and earth, and no, the human race did not evolve from a man and a woman (create from the mans rib making all of us inbred and incestuous). But god surely could have started it all.

See, there is no reason we can't both be right, science has shown how our world, and parts of our universe, were formed and how we evolved, but god still can play a part in that and most honest scientists will say as much.

the problem is, we can prove or disprove our scientific theories, we can never prove or disprove god. As such, it's completely unscientific to attribute anything to a deity. Instead, we look at what we can prove or disprove.

edit on 30-8-2011 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-8-2011 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
aww, come on. no need to get weirded out about it. we wacky "religious" people already knew the poll would say that. it's obvous that our brain-washing progr....err i mean schools and churches, are working as intended!

hey, anybody wanna help me pray the aliens into rescuing us from this place before it goes kablooey and normally thinking, feeling, considerate human beings, explode into racist homicidal maniacs?

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Sippy Cup

All science did was remove God and replaced it with “Big Bang” something the size of a pea or larger…just exploded with all the known matter we see today out of “NOTHING”….sounds familiar ,don’t it?

Although i respect your opinion Sippy Cup, i don't agree with it.

I don't think 'the Big Bang' or even science in general has 'replaced' a belief in a god or deity.

Science isn't a belief system at all...one doesn't 'believe' in science, we use science and scientific processes as a means to an end, largely that end is progression of one form or another, be it practical everyday progression or comprehension of the cosmos that envelops our world and many other things.

One doesn't have to 'believe' the planets of our system revolve around our star, we only have to look at the proof of this aided by the tools science and scientists have provided us, to know this absolute truth of solar system mechanics.

The same is true or will become true of everything else, at some point through a greater understanding of ourselves and our environments.

Science does NOT have all the answers however, obviously it is a linear process of hypothesis, theory, discovery, refinement and building upon all of these things. But simply because we do not yet have every answer to every question ever posited in mankind's wildest imaginations, does not nullify or diminish scientific principle, it merely opens up the opportunity for the promise that at some point science and mankind's own ingenuity will achieve comprehension of and answers to those questions.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join