It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Galileo got it wrong: Catholics

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Everything is possible,

But not everything is probable.

And If all else fails:-

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/86f484471b09.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by NeverForget

Hehe poofy.

“Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.” ~~Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

edit on 30/8/2011 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Here's something that might actually go to the topic of the original post. At the link I provide below, there are solar system models. One can choose between Copernican (heliocentric) and Tychonian (geocentric) models. I am not necessarily defending the geocentric model, but at least it gives one a visual reference for how such a system would look. The models are based on circular orbits, but I'm sure if one had the right software, elliptical orbits could be illustrated.

Solar System Models

side note: There are lots of other diagrams/graphics at the home page, not related to astronomy or any other particular topic.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

LOL, Arthur Conan Doyle believed in fairies.

He was fooled by a picture, whereby someone had cut out pictures of fairies from a book and taken a picture of them in a garden.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7875c38710fd.jpg[/atsimg]

Much prefer Occam's Razor

Can't knock the crazy dude though, Sherlock Holmes is the BOSS!!!

edit on 30/8/2011 by NeverForget because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
We are the center of our observable universe. The further we look into space, the younger everything gets. We're seeing old images of objects, where the light is just now getting to us from billions of years ago.

And, for all intents and purposes, we are the center of our actual universe. If we travel in any direction at the speed of light, it would take millions of years (or billions) to reach "the edge" or what we consider the edge of the universe. The universe is so huge (and no one really knows the definite shape of it) that the "center" is perspective and relative.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by jessejamesxx
We are the center of our observable universe. The further we look into space, the younger everything gets. We're seeing old images of objects, where the light is just now getting to us from billions of years ago.

And, for all intents and purposes, we are the center of our actual universe. If we travel in any direction at the speed of light, it would take millions of years (or billions) to reach "the edge" or what we consider the edge of the universe. The universe is so huge (and no one really knows the definite shape of it) that the "center" is perspective and relative.

Thanks, again, I can't believe people are even entertaining the possibility that planet Earth is the centre of the universe. This is secondary school stuff.

But i'm willing to concede that the "centre" is all about perspective. If we were to say that Earth is the true "centre", i'm sure the folks within "Alpha Centurai" (if there are any) would have something to say.
edit on 30/8/2011 by NeverForget because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

What I love about the Earth-centric cult theories is that it can't be disproved. We can prove that we orbit around the sun and we can prove that we are on the edge of our galaxy. However, that doesn't prove that somehow the Earth isn't in the center. Highly unconventional and a silly notion but, like the ridiculous Hollow Earth theory, it can't be disproved. Why do they care so much about it, anyway?

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Highly unconventional and a silly notion but, like the ridiculous Hollow Earth theory, it can't be disproved

Agreed, that's the cunning nature of unfalsifiable hypotheses.

I would add that the Hollow Earth theory cannot be proved..... YET.

I've got invisible gremlins in my shoes. Prove me wrong!

Peace to you.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Being the center of the Solar System and being in the center of the Universe are not the same thing.

Is Earth near the center of the Universe? I don't think science has an answer for that yet.

I don't understand why these two concepts are being melded together?

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I'd say "those crazy Catholics" but then my girlfriend is one so I better not.

Hang on, yes I can, she hates stupidity in her own religion anyway so yeah.........stupid Catholics....

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by curious7

Fair point, stupidity comes in all walks of life.

And nice triforce.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by NeverForget

Well, I'm always on the side of science when it comes to science vs religion, but there are a few "outside of the box" ways of thinking about the topic - that has nothing to do with religion.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties

Wow, I am flabbergasted! People who think like this still exist?

Robert Sungenis, the leader of a movement urging scientists to reconsider their opinion, said believing in heliocentrism was dangerous.

There's only so many times we can actually go out and see it for ourselves before one has to question the sanity in believing the Universe revolves around us.

"False information leads to false ideas, and false ideas lead to illicit and immoral actions - thus the state of the world today," Mr Sungenis told The Tribune.

"Prior to Galileo, the church was in full command of the world, and governments and academia were subservient to her."

Ahhh.....so we get to the crux of the issue - it's actually about the Catholic Church (**ehem** Roman Empire **cough cough**) losing it's tight-fisted grip on the world at large because of the 'heresy' of Science.

Yes people, they do exist! Hard to believe, but herein lies the proof.

And a final thought....
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5e46548b3bd6.jpg[/atsimg]

au.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
Actually it was a Roman Catholic Priest who came up with the Big Bang theory so...

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by NeverForget
reply to post by Cuervo

Those gremlin things in your shoes are called funghi! And they come from a poor hygiene...

May I suggest Dr. Scholl's instead of bright light??

P.S. Your avatar's one of the coolest ones I've seen in these lands! Star for that!

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Taking into account the physics of our universe, and considering that in an infinite and boundless universe, every point is center, there may be a wee bit of validity to that belief. But what does "every point is center" really mean? The paradox is that if everything is center, there is no center at all. It kinda makes things insignificant in way that is humbling.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I believe it was the Catholic Church that stated the Earth was Flat, and
anyone who refuted that was tossed into the dungeons or beheaded. It`s
about control, and power. Sorry but.... Religion is a story that was created
so that people had a reason for why they exist.

In reality ,The 3 dimensional plane is just an illusion of Electrons Protons
and Neutrons buzzing around at break neck speed creating
the illusion of MATTER TIME and SPACE

edit on 30-8-2011 by awareness10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by RadioKnecht

Originally posted by NeverForget
reply to post by Cuervo

Those gremlin things in your shoes are called funghi! And they come from a poor hygiene...

May I suggest Dr. Scholl's instead of bright light??

P.S. Your avatar's one of the coolest ones I've seen in these lands! Star for that!

LOL.

And thanks! I made it myself
Took me a while to cut out "V" from the "V for vendetta wallpaper". Magnetic tool = win!

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by loves a conspiricy

Wow, I am flabbergasted! People who think like this still exist?

Just look at the religious threads on here....its fairly evident they reside all over the world.

God did it......god made me do it........science is the work of the devil blah blah blah

Now I'm just as shocked as you guys are....
To me this is on par with people believing the world is still flat.

But I hope you aren't trying to throw every person who is Religious/Spiritual into this same category.
I myself keep the faith and am considered a spiritual person or man of God. But it doesn't mean that I can't think for myself or believe every thing I'm told.

This would be like saying every body born in the "South" is KKK, skin-head, racist, or a hill billy.
It's also akin to believing that every African American born into poverty is ghetto or a thug.
So is every person from the middle east is a Towel Head, or part of the Taliban/Al-queda?

You are correct that the main argument of the story is that the Church loses its control when people freely think for themselves and go against the word of the church.

Not every person of faith or religion agrees with the church 100%, especially now a days.

I and many people such as the Dali Lama, believe now, more than ever the bridge between Spirituality & Science need to try and work together. It's possible that a dialogue between religion and science will advance the wisdom of both disciplines and greatly benefit humankind.

I'm just trying to make sure that we don't throw all people of faith into the same basket as those who don't believe in Heliocentrism.
Just the same way that I don't hate or fight with every atheist I know or encounter. Some of my best friends are atheists, and I've had some of my deepest & peaceful enlightening conversations with atheists.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Before you call people nut jobs, please note that even real, respected physicists say that time travel is possible. As far as the hollow Earth is concerned, that idea doesn't fit current physics, so it is OK to reject it. As far as the reptilians are concerned, science regards such a thing as quite possible, so you have no proof to call such people nut jobs. As far as the topic of this topic is concerned, simple observations and measurements have proven, at least as far as common logic is concerned, that the Earth is a round ball, and the Sun travels around it. But still, I would not call these people nut jobs. And if you can't reason with them, look the other way.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
The mass of the Sun is about 330 thousand times that of Earth so I find the notion that the former would revolve around the latter just ludicrous.

The more susceptible you are to heavenly myths the more likely you are to believe in down to earth official nonsense. The 9/11 offical story is an important case in point.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join