It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Galileo got it wrong: Catholics

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Galileo got it wrong: Catholics

au.news.yahoo.com

Scientists have got it wrong - Earth really is the centre of the universe, according to a group of staunch Catholics who refuse to believe otherwise.

"A few conservative Roman Catholics are pointing to a dozen Bible verses and the church's original teachings as proof that Earth is the centre of the universe, the view that was at the heart of the church's clash with Galileo Galilei four centuries ago," The Chicago Tribune has reported.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Wow, I am flabbergasted! People who think like this still exist?

Robert Sungenis, the leader of a movement urging scientists to reconsider their opinion, said believing in heliocentrism was dangerous.

There's only so many times we can actually go out and see it for ourselves before one has to question the sanity in believing the Universe revolves around us.

"False information leads to false ideas, and false ideas lead to illicit and immoral actions - thus the state of the world today," Mr Sungenis told The Tribune.

"Prior to Galileo, the church was in full command of the world, and governments and academia were subservient to her."

Ahhh.....so we get to the crux of the issue - it's actually about the Catholic Church (**ehem** Roman Empire **cough cough**) losing it's tight-fisted grip on the world at large because of the 'heresy' of Science.

Yes people, they do exist! Hard to believe, but herein lies the proof.

And a final thought....
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5e46548b3bd6.jpg[/atsimg]

au.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Wow, I am flabbergasted! People who think like this still exist?

Just look at the religious threads on here....its fairly evident they reside all over the world.

God did it......god made me do it........science is the work of the devil blah blah blah

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Have you studied why the earth orbits the sun for yourself, or have you taken it on faith what the universities and scientists say? Unless you have, it is double facepalm time.

+10 more 
posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

Actually I have, yes, thankyou, please come again.....

I believe it's called Astronomy 101.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   
With matters like this, nobody on ATS could ever say it better than the late, great, George Carlin.

www.youtube.com...

RIP

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Lots of people believe in geocentrism:

In three polls conducted in 1996 and 1999, 19% of Britons, 18% of Americans, and 16% of Germans said that they believed the Sun orbits the Earth.

en.wikipedia.org...

Anyway, I think most of these peoples answers can be attributed to general ignorance. Actively advocating geocentric model because of some religious ideology is another matter, and highlights the brainwashing power of religions well. Some paralels with denial of evolution could also be drawn here..

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Some adults still believe in Santa too.

Geo-Centric Narcissism, with a touch of blind religious ignorance.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Look at ATS... People here believe in hollow Earth, Reptilian shapeshifters, time travelers etc... There will always be a small contingent of nutjobs in any group. I'm sure this will turn into a religious hate thread, spurred on by the ridiculous fundies and religiously atheist but there's no need. It doesn't matter what a small group of Catholics think. We know they're wrong, no need to gloat.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
Look at ATS... People here believe in hollow Earth, Reptilian shapeshifters, time travelers etc... There will always be a small contingent of nutjobs in any group. I'm sure this will turn into a religious hate thread, spurred on by the ridiculous fundies and religiously atheist but there's no need. It doesn't matter what a small group of Catholics think. We know they're wrong, no need to gloat.

I don't look at it as gloating, more as trying to save people from a set of mental handcuffs that restrict the ability to enjoy life in all it's beauty.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Ahhh.....so we get to the crux of the issue - it's actually about the Catholic Church (**ehem** Roman Empire **cough cough**) losing it's tight-fisted grip on the world at large because of the 'heresy' of Science. Yes people, they do exist! Hard to believe, but herein lies the proof.

One of the first things I think about when reading people like Shermer and other skeps, is that they probably wouldn't have much of a life if it weren't for the UFO community. You know, these people have devoted substantial portions of their lives... not to improve themselves or make discoveries, but in the effort to shoot down and destroy the works and beliefs of others.

One is left to wonder what they might do if there was no UFO community.

That is a real problem with our species... the habit of sticking our noses into the beliefs of other people, most of the time complete strangers. UFO buffs cause no harm to anyone else... and because the subject has been so purposefully ignored by government, science and the media, any belief at all is more closely related to faith than logic.

The same thing happens on more official levels too. Our nanny state governments are more than willing to pry open your kitchen cupboard to tell you what to eat, what kind of light bulbs to use, how much water you may apply in the flushing of your toilet. They want to instill in you their beliefs in things like the globalist agenda where we are all one big happy family under one big benevolent brother-keeper.

Where did this innate focus on the lives and beliefs of others originate? Is there some dormant, nosy neighbor gene laying in wait in all of us?

*sigh*

Oh, yeah... those Catholics and their beliefs. Almost forgot.

Well, that's different. You can't believe that God created the universe and that our little world is at the center of it without expecting that same world to take offense.

There should be a law!

edit on 29-8-2011 by redoubt because: typos

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Swanfilters

Catholics say the same thing when they see you walking around. Let it be, it doesn't hurt you, and it doesn't hurt them. Who are you to say if they walk in beauty?

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Catholics say the same thing when they see you walking around. Let it be, it doesn't hurt you, and it doesn't hurt them. Who are you to say if they walk in beauty?

It does hurt me:
-When they preach on public streets with no respect for those who may not want to hear what they have got to say
-When they come knocking on my door every Sunday at 7 AM
-When I heard about how the "Sisters of Mercy" abused both my grandmother and great aunt at a home where they should have been looked after
-When they judge me for my ills, but absolutely refuse to accept their own
-When they try to force their own morality onto everyone else.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
You never heard of the Flat Earth Society?

This news doesn't really shock me since there are still people claiming the world is flat.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
well, in these staunch Catholics defense... i do have to point out that if you took the worlds most powerful telescope and looked in all directions, wouldn't the edge be essentially the same distance all the way around?

How is that not the center?

i'm sorry, this just reminds me of the giggle I get each time they invent a more powerful telescope and then decided the universe is even older than they thoughts it was.... how do they know? they can see it with their telescope now.

at least i think that's funny, perhaps not. Perhaps I'm just reading poorly written science articles.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackSatinDancer
well, in these staunch Catholics defense... i do have to point out that if you took the worlds most powerful telescope and looked in all directions, wouldn't the edge be essentially the same distance all the way around?

Actually it just means we haven't seen the edge yet, primarily because the light hasn't reached us. We could be NEAR to the edge even but can't quite see it.

i'm sorry, this just reminds me of the giggle I get each time they invent a more powerful telescope and then decided the universe is even older than they thoughts it was.... how do they know? they can see it with their telescope now.

That's what science is all about, creating theories and revising them when new information comes to light.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties

Originally posted by BlackSatinDancer

Actually it just means we haven't seen the edge yet, primarily because the light hasn't reached us. We could be NEAR to the edge even but can't quite see it.

That's what science is all about, creating theories and revising them when new information comes to light.

oh yeah... I know. I won't believe their calculations for the age of the entire universe until they make a telescope that allows me to see the back of my own head.

no, I know that there are a lot of smart scientists in the world that do math problems a hell of a lot bigger than I'd ever even want to look at, but some things just tickle me.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Swanfilters

It does hurt me:
-When they preach on public streets with no respect for those who may not want to hear what they have got to say
-When I heard about how the "Sisters of Mercy" abused both my grandmother and great aunt at a home where they should have been looked after

I must have missed something because... I thought that all of us had the right to speak freely in public spaces.

I do understand the thing about those who knock on the door but... I generally invite them in for a beer and some football. That usually sends them on their way, lol.

There are bad people in every sector, every belief system, every corner... the challenge is for us to place blame on the individual and avoid stereotyping a large group for what a few do.

Basically, I believe in the live and let live thing because none of us are ever all going to agree on any one thing. If we can't allow for the beliefs of others, then we should be ready to have our own under the same attack... and learn to accept it.

We live by example... most often reaping what we sow.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Scientists have got it wrong - Earth really is the centre of the universe, according to a group of staunch Catholics who refuse to believe otherwise.

This is the greatest religious breakthrough ever.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Oh spare me. Just ignore them.

Surprised they're not in church but get a no soliciting sign.

That's too bad. Why did you let both of them go there? Same time or something? One bad experience in an isolated place does not give you insight into every Catholic. I've had wonderful experiences with many yet don't think all are good.

Must not have thick skin. Sounds like a personal problem. Look at you judging them right now. Delicious hypocrisy.

I stated that a group of people believing that the universe revolves around Earth does not hurt you. You gave me back a sob story that is irrelevant to the topic at hand and irrelevant to what I was saying. Your motives are obvious.
edit on 29-8-2011 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-8-2011 by Domo1 because: Couldnt find the any key

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join