It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Galileo got it wrong: Catholics

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I won't turn this into a critique of the catholic faith, but in a nutshell, TrueBrit has summed up my feelings on the catholic church.

Also, it is unfair to label all Christians as sub-intelligent persons who buy into a big fairy-tale. The "evidence" is there, you simply have to weigh the evidence, weigh the evidence's credibility, and come to a personal conclusion. I don't get how some of the posters can criticize the personal conclusion believers have come to after weighing the evidence themselves.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

"Wow, I am flabbergasted! People who think like this still exist? "

Not a day goes by I don't wonder the EXACT SAME THING about people who vote GOP or DNC... lol

On a serious note.. perspective being reality (IMO).. there are billions of people on this planet with a billion different realities... even people considered nuttier than squirrel crap can live peaceful respectful lives, their "crazy" beliefs wont hurt. As "they say": to each his own, variety is the spice of life, live and let live

What's "silly" to us, is sanity to "them".. divide & conquer much?.. laugh to yourself at the silly ones, wish them the best of luck, and get on with life.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by jburg6
I don't get how some of the posters can criticize the personal conclusion believers have come to after weighing the evidence themselves.

Because they are just wrong?

Don't matter how much believers weighing the evidence for themsleves. Like the case of people that think Earth is flat, Sorry, Earth is not flat, period.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties

Wow, I am flabbergasted! People who think like this still exist?

you are on ATS and you don't realise that people believe screwy things on the flimsiest non-evidence??

Really??

People like YOU exist??

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swanfilters
-When they judge me for my ills, but absolutely refuse to accept their own
-When they try to force their own morality onto everyone else.

Republicans and Conservatives do this too.

People believe what they want to believe. Who cares? I have more of a problem with the people that ridicule the people with odd beliefs. Usually conservative thinking, far right, nanny-state types who want to dictate what society should be according to their morals. These types may be religious or may not be. Either way, these people are far more dangerous than the handful of people who think the Earth is the centre of the universe.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

LOL!! Too funny!

2nd.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Don't be too shocked. There is a small fundamentalist church in my hometown that believes the Earth is still flat, that everything revolves around it and that we never went to space, let alone the moon because God would have struck us down as he did the Babylonian king that built the tower. They preach it as dogma.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
this is the centre of it all.
where I stand is MY centre.
Man made God in His image.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Haha, I think too many people nowadays just dont understand, that Earth is the center of the universe according to Scripture. Science can only prove so much with its limited time its been around, and slowly it will catch up, to what was taught thousands of years ago.

Lets just look at the verses that show Earth was made before anything else in the universe.

Day 1 = Light and darkness created

Day 2 = Firmament was created to separate the waters from underneath and above the heaven (the Sky), water above the sky

Day 3 = Dry Land created and Oceans and Plants

Notice so far everything is about Earth first before anything else in the universe is made.

Day 4 = The Greater light (Sun) and the lesser light (moon) and the stars

Day 5 = Water creatures and birds

Day 6 = Land beasts and creatures and Man and woman.

So in 6 days all things were created. 7th day was rest.

So if you can think critically, and imagine there is nothing in the universe and all there is Earth a ball of water (Genesis 1:2) then the light was made, separation between waters above and below firmament(Sky), and then dry land and oceans, where would the Earth be at the moment? If there was nothing else around but only the earth , wouldnt you conclude it would be in the center of all that exists at Day 3? Then when the Sun, moon and stars were made after Day 3, they would be around the Earth, making the Earth the Center of the universe.

And If you believe the scientists, how can you say you know any known distance to any star at any other moment if the Earth is moving, the solar system is moving, and the Milky way galaxy is moving. Every second after the measurement made of distance to a known star, galaxy or planet, it would change over time. There is NO POINT OF REFERENCE since everything is moving. BUT, if Earth was stationary, and didnt move, and was the center of the universe, that is why the North Star Polaris doesnt move, then you could measure to other locations in the universe with minimal error and better accuracy consistently. And the earth sits on one spot not able to move (1 Chronicles 16:30, Psalms 93:1,96:10, 104:5) and it is the footstool of Yahuwah our Heavenly Father (Isaiah 66:1, Matthew 5:35). And a footstool doesnt move unless an action is put upon it, so it is stationary. So the rest of the universe moves around Earth, not Earth moving around the universe.

So it comes down to what you believe, will you believe The Scriptures, or will you believe man and Scientists?

Think about it...

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties

Galileo got it wrong: Catholics

au.news.yahoo.com

Scientists have got it wrong - Earth really is the centre of the universe, according to a group of staunch Catholics who refuse to believe otherwise.

"A few conservative Roman Catholics are pointing to a dozen Bible verses and the church's original teachings as proof that Earth is the centre of the universe, the view that was at the heart of the church's clash with Galileo Galilei four centuries ago," The Chicago Tribune has reported.
(visit the link for the full news article)

The Catholic Church does not refer to the original writings to create their "original teachings", and there lies their problem. Actually there are priests with science degrees, who when pushed into a theological corner, will revert to the philosophy that the Scriptures are just stories to base personal conduct on. The original Scriptures which were written before Constantine tampered with them tell a different story.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Happy day Kryties!!!!!

You and I finally agree on something

You hit the nail on the head with this one.
A note to the flat earth people......go back to school or look at a map dumbass.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Interesting thread lol... geez, with all that is happening in the world today, we have a bunch of catholics up in arms about whether we rotate the sun or the sun rotates around us!

Without having actually been out there and studied either, I would have to agree with science a little here myself.

The fact that people insist on control of some sorts is perhaps the moral issues that generally come into play, have they not studied the brutal and bloody history of their church that aspires to be so true and pure?

As soon as a one way mission to Mars is open, I will getting to the front of the queue, off this crazy planet! Altho I dont know if it will be going past the rotation of the Earth or the Sun... lol

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Well everybody and everything is the center of there universe. That is the nature of consciousness and therefore of the universe, because all the universe is really nothing but just consciousness, and degrees of consciousness.

So yes there earth is the center of there universe.

But as long as they don't have to test that theory against the scope of things, they will be fine. Because the moment they do it will be swept into oblivion like so much sand on the beach when the tide comes in. For there are higher realities then there little pathetic bubble reality that they so covet.

I mean do these people live in a fish bowl or something, have they looked up or around once in there lives. Because if they did they will see that in the scope of things even in the things around them, they and there theories are about as significant as an ant crawling around on the ground in its daily existence.

But I suppose its just another group of humans wanting to go back to a simpler time, and simpler way, that they read somewhere in some book. As if that world and time ever existed in the first place, other then in there heads.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Swanfilters

I don't look at it as gloating, more as trying to save people from a set of mental handcuffs that restrict the ability to enjoy life in all it's beauty.

So, am I assuming wrong you are a complete Atheist? and if you are does the fact that groups of Atheists have caused, and continue to cause genocide and suffering around the world must mean that all atheists are the same?

Perhaps you, and some other people should think things through very well first before making such generalizations of religious people. Most Catholics do not think like this, and just because a small group thinks like this doesn't mean they are all shackled by their beliefs.

In a way atheists have their own beliefs, so are they shackled as well and not enjoying life at it's fullest?...

edit on 30-8-2011 by ElectricUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   
The Universe is so vast and as for now without end so if you are standing on earth and look out into the universe in all directions you could easily understand how it is the center of the universe nor could you provide proof otherwise.... Of course the same could be said of any point in the universe...

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by 5StarOracle
The Universe is so vast and as for now without end so if you are standing on earth and look out into the universe in all directions you could easily understand how it is the center of the universe nor could you provide proof otherwise.... Of course the same could be said of any point in the universe...

and that is the nature of most of our designs and sciences... from the relative point of view.

that's why even though we know it's bull, it fits right into science which is a funny, ironic little joke and I have no idea why people are getting damn mad about it. I mean i'd hate to see this be taught in schools, but if we want to get damn technical... these goofballs have a point.

edit on 30-8-2011 by BlackSatinDancer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 03:23 AM
link   
prove it wrong.

everything is expanding out from our perspective and from anywhere else in the universe.

ask how did they know that?

i gots problems wit the catholics but not that.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by fooks
prove it wrong.

everything is expanding out from our perspective and from anywhere else in the universe.

ask how did they know that?

i gots problems wit the catholics but not that.

and there you go. How could we ever prove it wrong if we can't get too far from this dirtball to find out.

I shouldn't call earth a dirtball even though that's what it is. it's a quite nice dirtball, but anyway... Maybe they just know no one can prove it wrong, so they are beings dicks.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Seektruthalways1

Speaking from a religious perspective everything boils down to faith and choice as we all decide who (or what) to believe. Personally I'm not dogmatic when it comes to the controversy over geocentrism vs. heliocentrism. If you believe the sun goes around the earth that's fine by me. If you believe the earth goes around the sun that's fine by me too. I've read some material from both sides of the argument and am inclined to agree with the geocentric model. But, it's not a salvation issue in my view. I do, however, think it's dangerous for various administrations to adopt an official position in such matters, and in this way, curtail one's liberty of conscience, even though the individual Christian isn't in breach of God's Word in any respect whatsoever (e.g. advocating murder, theft, etc.), as they run the risk of repeating the bloody history of the Catholic religion and those who disagree with the majority view might come under attack just like dissenters were labeled "heretics" and marked for execution.
edit on 30-8-2011 by cameraobscura because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 05:23 AM
link   
According to present knowledge the center of the universe is everywhere. Every single point of the universe is its center so Earth is in center too. Other words there is no such thing like center of the universe.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join