It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calling Cthulhu

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Anyone out there ever performed the Ceremony of Nine Angels? This is a thread designed to draw out the Lovecraftians on this site, if there are any. The lovers of great literature. The believers in something dreamt. All who appreciate the dark writings that H.P. Lovecraft left behind, as well as his spiritual projections. So with that said let us chit chat about the great diatribes this enigmatic man left to us. I'de like to hear about your favorite dark literature and what you think of it also. You may be able to bring me something new I have not yet read, I can only hope.

Thank you

Mod Edit: All Caps – Please Review This Link.
edit on 8/28/2011 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   
All i think of when i hear thart name is Metallica \m/

dont know much of the writtings but as a side note what i have heard is that saying the name Cthulu will bring him closer and that is why Metallica called their song The Call of Ktulu out of fear of him.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   
I have not, but i do love me some Lovecraft! I like to think that "The Bloop" was actually Cthulhu making a noise.

Favorite Lovecraft stories...ALL OF THEM!!
But I really like The Festival, The Mound, Dagon, Call of Cthulhu, Medusa's Coil, At the Mountains of Madness and The Horror in the Museum.

I will probably write in Cthulhu as my Presidential vote because well....Why Vote for the Lesser Evil??

I'm praying to Shub-Niggurath that Guillermo Del Toro gets to make his vision of At the Mountains of Madness! I've even sacrificed small animals in hope that it will help (ok...not really).

I sometimes think that HP Lovecraft was actually seeing visions and was a mathematical savant. His, seeming, knowledge of multiple dimensions and non-euclidean geometry is way ahead of its time. Considering that the idea of multiple dimensions is a platform of String Theory.

Anyway...there's my rant!

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   
i've read a few of his stories, and i found them interesting, others i thought weren't the best. i particularly liked the line "that is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange eons even death may die", but they're just stories.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by iNkGeEk
I have not, but i do love me some Lovecraft! I like to think that "The Bloop" was actually Cthulhu making a noise.

But I really like The Festival, The Mound, Dagon, Call of Cthulhu, Medusa's Coil, At the Mountains of Madness and The Horror in the Museum.

I will probably write in Cthulhu as my Presidential vote because well....Why Vote for the Lesser Evil??

I'm praying to Shub-Niggurath that Guillermo Del Toro gets to make his vision of At the Mountains of Madness! I've even sacrificed small animals in hope that it will help (ok...not really).

I sometimes think that HP Lovecraft was actually seeing visions and was a mathematical savant. His, seeming, knowledge of multiple dimensions and non-euclidean geometry is way ahead of its time. Considering that the idea of multiple dimensions is a platform of String Theory.

Funnily enough if you take a comparison of the depth and location of where the Bloop occured it's almost point for point the given location of R'lyeh. Although to be fair it would be far more likely to be Yog-Sothoth or Dagon than Cthulhu.

edit on 28-8-2011 by Awolscout because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Sounds like you have been watching too much Supernatural

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   

In truth, multiple dimensions was known of, and written about way back in 60 - 65 AD. it is in the Holy Bible.

Ephesians 3:18 .......you may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth...............

A clear understanding of FOUR known dimensions at least.

Also, as another example of multi-dimensional theories - Salvadore Dahli painted a image of the crucified CHRIST in a painting named 'Corpus Hypercubus' in 1954 which demonstrated indepth knowledge of the 'tesseract' - which is a FOUR dimensional cube. Yes it was later than Lovecrafts writings, but still demonstrates that the mathematical understanding of hyper - dimensionality was well known and demonstrated in that era.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I used to love reading hes stories. My older brother is a great fan of Lovecraft and so I read most of hes writings at some point of my life.
Especially I loved hes shortstories. The one where some guy was talking with a strange old man, and in the end of the story it turned out that the older man was dead since a long time ago.. heh, it gave me chills

We even played role-playing game named Call of Cthulhu(not sure if the name is correct), but anyway, good memories. And Mountains of madness was a great story as most of them were

Nice thread mate!

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Ia Ia Dagon. Ia Ia Shubniggurath..

Erm.. sorry forgot for a moment. not suppose to summon them. That is bad for the world. I must say Dunwich Horror was my personal favorite.

I have a collection of Cthulhu stuffed plushies. I have the Gothulu, the ChibiGoththulu, Santathulu and also the game Munchkinthulu. I own the RPG by chaosium of Call of Cthulhu.. I guess you could say I am a bit of a Lovecraftian addict. I have read everything I can put my hands on by him. Even the current horror authors often give credit to Lovecraft for being an inspiration to them.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Cormac McCarthy and Chuck Palahniuk both write some very dark stuff. Maybe less fantastical than Lovecraft yet I find them both an even starker mirror for the lack of fancy wrappings.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
That's one of the cool things about Lovecraft...no one cares if someone writes/publishes a story based upon Lovecraft's works (mainly the Cthulhu Mythos), as long as you are not deviating from the main source and are adding something to it. This practice allows the mythos to continue to live and evolve.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Awolscout

Funnily enough if you take a comparison of the depth and location of where the Bloop occured it's almost point for point the given location of R'lyeh. Although to be fair it would be far more likely to be Yog-Sothoth or Dagon than Cthulhu.

edit on 28-8-2011 by Awolscout because: (no reason given)

the bloop was the call of thy sleeping lord. dagon lies in the north alantic off the coast of southeren RI/mass and the one is is all and nothing is in all of us for he is the gate and the key. i have alot of donald tyson books. if your not keen on him check him out. he applies lovecraft lore and myth to ritual majick. i think the riitual of the 9 angles is layed out in detail in the book. i have not tried any of the ritaulas save for a few that are more in my means to play out. some of the items like metals, spices, etc are not accessible to me. and id rather do it right than to piss those grumpy couch surfers.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
His work is cosmically brilliant, a glimpse into the mind of the feverish visionaries and the dreamers who become aware that the universe is fragile and that only by some great fate their human senses allow them only to see so far.

The colour out of space is genuinely eerie, although the mountains of madness really caught my imagination - basing the mirages and hallucinations of the explorers of old and shaping something out of them.

Indeed, the fact that a lot of his characters and protagonists remain nameless, instead recounting their last hours and lost days to doctors and authority, recounting the in-human events of such stories,all add to the sombre backdrop of Lovercraft's universe.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   

That's one of the cool things about Lovecraft...no one cares if someone writes/publishes a story based upon Lovecraft's works (mainly the Cthulhu Mythos), as long as you are not deviating from the main source and are adding something to it. This practice allows the mythos to continue to live and evolve.

I am actually writing a story with a bit of H.P lovecraft in it. Tho the level used would be similar to how World of warcraft used their mythology. But it has me worried because I know I am going into uncharted territory.

This is World of Warcrafts introduction of Yogg sothoth though they changed the name to yog saron.

I would like to know what lovecraftian fans think of a story with the following elements:

Listen to the words "a thousand deaths etc..thats the voice of the yog saron

edit on 28-8-2011 by RisenAngel77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I don't know if it's been posted yet, but here is a free documentary you can watch about HP Lovecraft. I watched it and enjoyed it immensely.

Lovecraft: Fear of the Unknown

Snagfilms is a great documentary site.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
At the Mountains of Madness, The Case of Charles Dexter Ward, The Doom that Came to Sarnath, Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath, Facts Concerning the Late Arthur Jermyn and His Family, The Shadow over Innsmouth and a couple of short stories dealing with dreamers and visions whose names i cannot remember have colored my world for many years now.

A website with much of his collected work: www.hplovecraft.com...

I'm praying to Shub-Niggurath that Guillermo Del Toro gets to make his vision of At the Mountains of Madness!

A thousand times this; though I pray to Azathoth.
edit on 8/28/2011 by eNumbra because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath is one of my all time favs. Followed close by Pickmans model, the Quest of Irnon [?], the Lurking Fear, Shadow over Innsmouth and of course the Call of Cthulhu! After reading the Lurking Fear I could never look at a thunderstorm the same. Some of Lovecrafts stories work in the modern era as well as in the 1920's. His whole mankind will some day unleash forces it cannot understand theme always caught my attention. A man way ahead of his time.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I go to bed every night with Lovecraft...
There's a few highly prized 1st editions going on Ebay right now for stupid money (The shunned House being one)...I'm gutted I've not got the money to buy any. For now I'll just have to console myself with the odd copies I can find elsewhere.

Celephais is beautifully melancholy. The picture in the house, The haunter of the Dark & The colour out of space my favourites for snuggling in bed with all the windows open / curtains a blowing during a nights storm.
edit on 28-8-2011 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by tcmkenny
All i think of when i hear thart name is Metallica \m/

dont know much of the writtings but as a side note what i have heard is that saying the name Cthulu will bring him closer and that is why Metallica called their song The Call of Ktulu out of fear of him.

Not really, James just mispelt it.

Made up for it though with other awesome Lovecraftian songs ("The Thing That Should Not Be" on the Master of Puppets album, "All Nightmare Long" on the Death Magnetic album)

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

Funnily enough, every time I think "that book would make an awesome movie" and then picture how I'd do it, I find out that there are movie versions in the works (happened with the Narnia books years ago and then last year when I found out Del Toro was trying to get At The Mountains Of Madness made)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join