It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calling Cthulhu

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   
ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

Cthulu fhtagn!

Cthulu fhtagn!

And for those who like a little musak to relax by at the end of a long day of Cthulu worship....

p.s.- I love HP Lovecraft since I discovered his wonderful horrors as a teen. I recently dl'd all of his stories through Amazon's Kindle app for like 4 or 5 bucks! So now I have my Cthulu on the go!

p.s. 2.0- One of my favorite stories is Medusa's Coil, love the ending on that one!
edit on 11-9-2011 by Springheel Jack because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Springheel Jack

Yes. Medusa's Coil was fantastic!!

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Just wanted to add that most of the movies based on Lovecraft and/or Cthulu mythos are really cheeseball. But there are some that are decent. Dagon was decent and alot better than Re-animator,

In the Mouth of Madness wasn't exactly Cthulu Mythos, but I could definitely tell that there was some Lovecraftian influence, as was Event Horizon.

The Ninth Gate, even though it centers around a mysterious satanic book, the story is familiar to Lovecraft fans, with Johnny Depp playing the 'normal' guy who gets pulled down deeper and deeper into the strange happenings surrounding the book.

And I just read that Guillermo Del Toro and James Cameron are going to make their version of 'At The Mountains of Madness'..

And just to remind you, watch those corners up there at the ceiling, you don't want any Hounds of Tindalos to get your scent...

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by WhiteDevil013
reply to post by Phantom traveller

I agree, I have yet to see any cinematic adaptation of HPL that hasn't made me extremely disappointed.

I do recommend the film "In The Mouth Of Madness." Although some what cheesy by todays standards, and not exactly an exact adaptation of any single story, its the only movie I've seen that I'd consider a decent tribute to Lovecraft

I have never heard of this game you speak of, unfortunately I don't own an xbox but who knows? In stranger aeons even death may die.

I second that recommendation. I was going to mention it but you beat me to it. One of John Carpenters good efforts and very underrated. It really gets the feel of it correct even if its not a lovecraft story.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by toxicblud

i enjoy lovecraft's work. some of the stories that stand out for me; shadow out of time, call of cthulu, at the mountains of madness, the dunnwich horror, in the walls of eryx, the picture in the house, and pickman's model.

there are more that i like but these stand out for me.

subfab

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Charles Stross is probably writing some of the best current SF that touches on the Cthulhu mythos. A good point of entry would be his novelette A Colder War, which he made freely available. This story is pretty much guaranteed to strike a chord with those of us that were in grade school at the height of the Cold War.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by iterationzero

Really? I just discovered Stross and am finishing up Accelerando which is really good. He reminds me of William Gibson and Ian Banks. Hi-tech cyberpunk...I did not know he delved into Mythos too! Cool, thanks for the heads up.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   

a million internets to you! that song is a perfect parody, i've been listening to it on repeat. lots of people know "cthulhu" but not as many have actually read some of lovecraft's work.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   

No prob! The bulk of his stuff that deals with the Mythos is part of a series of novels called The Laundry. Picture James Bond meets Cthulhu, but the protagonist is a math/IT geek and not what one would call "dashing" or "suave". They're spooky at times, but it's written with a great dry wit.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by iterationzero

Thanks for posting the link to the Charles Stross short story.

Good stuff.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Bob Sholtz

Hey thanks, but I have to give credit to someone here on ATS whom I can't recall at the moment that posted that video in some thread awhile back, kudos to whomever you are! I thought it was a gem.

Iterationzero,

Thanks for the info! I think I have seen that series bumming around on Amazon so I will have to pick one up, sounds kinda like Harry Dresden meets the X files...I can do that! Thanks again. I have read some contemporary compilations of Mythos but most of the stories are hit and miss, of course.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   

not to get off topic but, harry dresden is awesome! haven't read any of the books yet, but i really liked the tv show and wished it would have gotten more seasons.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by iNkGeEk

Just a little off topic,

I swear to you if you read just one of the Harry Dresden books you will be addicted. Just a warning, they are that good. Oh, and if you do, start at the beginning because there is alot of character threads that carry from one book to the other. I Love Harry D. and I had to get the latest one on my phone so I could read it where ever I went, now I have to wait another year for the next one, sigh.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by iNkGeEk

Caveat -- you may find yourself looking at the TV show differently if you start reading the books. I went in the other direction -- read the first 10 or so books, then tried to watch the show on Netflix -- and I couldn't make it past the second episode.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   

They are next on my reading list actually. lol Storm Front is the first in the series isn't it?

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by iNkGeEk

Yep, Storm Front is the first in the series.Oh I feel bad that I just caused you to lose hours and hours of sleep reading those books...lol. Have fun!

Hehe, I just noticed your avatar, just now, I want a tshirt or bumper sticker with that on it!
edit on 13-9-2011 by Springheel Jack because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join