It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Planet found made of diamond!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
www.reuters.com...

Wow! That would be one heck of a race to get to that planet. I wonder if NASA may decide to start up shuttle missions again after this news. (Reuters) - Astronomers have spotted an exotic planet that seems to be made of diamond racing around a tiny star in our galactic backyard.

The new planet is far denser than any other known so far and consists largely of carbon. Because it is so dense, scientists calculate the carbon must be crystalline, so a large part of this strange world will effectively be diamond

edit on 25-8-2011 by AllUrChips because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by AllUrChips

I love it
the universe keeps surprising me

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
It's only 4000 light years away. Now if we can somehow go faster than the speed of light, we can get there in less than 4000 light years...

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
WOW a diamond planet and last year a diamond star. Interesting. good catch

diamond star link

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The cosmic diamond is a chunk of crystallised carbon, 4,000 km across, some 50 light-years from the Earth in the constellation Centaurus.

Link

news.bbc.co.uk...

edit on 8/25/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

+9 more 
posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Well, I guess this means De Beers is going to be entering into the space industry so they can keep their artificially created scarcity going.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Never heard of diamond planet being found, definitely different. Although I have heard of stars burning out and leaving diamonds.

The largest diamond ever found is not on Earth, but faraway across the galaxy.

It's the burned out corpse of a star named BPM 37093 only about 50 lightyears away from Earth in the region of the sky we refer to as the constellation Centaurus.

The white dwarf star is a chunk of crystallized carbon that weighs 5 million trillion trillion pounds. That would equal a diamond of 10 billion trillion trillion carats.

SpaceToday.com--Lucy Diamond White Dwarf Star

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Don't laugh, but I read about this years ago. It is the coolest planet I have heard of yet (Besides Earth). The fact that the universe never stops surprising me is amazingly cool!!

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Damn got beat to it.

Cheers for great minds.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Imagine if crafts could be constructed and cut from these celestials, amazing... You could change the entire make up of the craft engine and fuels used.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I'm just waiting for them to discover a planet made of gold. They'll be trading 500 year futures contracts on the stock markets in no time!

Cool find though, the universe is sure full of surprises, the majority of which we don't even have a clue about yet!

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
how long do you think it will be until some sort of rapper will mention this planet of bling in one of their songs?

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by CommunistCapitalist
Don't laugh, but I read about this years ago. It is the coolest planet I have heard of yet (Besides Earth). The fact that the universe never stops surprising me is amazingly cool!!

Ever read 2061: Odyssey three by Aurthur C Clarke?
They found out Jupiter had a diamond core after it imploded.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllUrChips
www.reuters.com...

Wow! That would be one heck of a race to get to that planet. I wonder if NASA may decide to start up shuttle missions again after this news. (Reuters) - Astronomers have spotted an exotic planet that seems to be made of diamond racing around a tiny star in our galactic backyard.

The new planet is far denser than any other known so far and consists largely of carbon. Because it is so dense, scientists calculate the carbon must be crystalline, so a large part of this strange world will effectively be diamond

edit on 25-8-2011 by AllUrChips because: (no reason given)
PROOF OR IT NEVER HAPPEN... i dont really believe theres a diamond planet till its actually shown

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
It makes me laugh that there is people out there who say that a hostile alien invasion force would be here for our resources.

There are vast amounts of resources out there so why would they bother with us?

Unless

They want to eat our souls mmhhhwwaahh

Good find

S n F

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13
WOW a diamond planet and last year a diamond star. Interesting. good catch

diamond star link

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The cosmic diamond is a chunk of crystallised carbon, 4,000 km across, some 50 light-years from the Earth in the constellation Centaurus.

Link

news.bbc.co.uk...

Also on the same general theme is that it has now been discovered that nano-diamond particles are created and immediately destroyed (consumed) in the flame of a common wax candle.

Yep, a lit candle creates diamonds...albeit very, very tiny ones.

It could turn out to be that the planet isn't entirely composed of diamond (or similar carbon lattice) at all. It might be a diamond planetary shield instead.

Strange that this should come up, as i was just posting a reply to Beamish about Dyson Sphere's in another thread...maybe this is a mini Dyson sphere type of thing, shielding a planet.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
This is cool. The universe is amazing and keeps me amazed.

But just remember, as soon as something like this is attainable to us then the price goes way down. If we had as many diamonds on this planet as grains of dirt, then it would be worth, well dirt.

Same with anything else that we call "bling", or actually anything, imagine if we found a planet of all oil that was attainable to us. Once we have an abundance of it, the AWE factor goes down.

Harm None
Peace

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by spikey

Interesting pov. shield sorta like the other with a supposed gold atmosphere/ shield. Now that is thinking outta box I likes..

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13
reply to post by spikey

Interesting pov. shield sorta like the other with a supposed gold atmosphere/ shield. Now that is thinking outta box I likes..

Thanks mate, i like that you like!

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Fascinating - Great catch OP!

I find it especially intriguing that within a couple weeks of each other, we hear about the discovery of "diamond-like" planet - and one that is blacker, and less reflective than "black acrylic paint." Quite a contrast!! And to think that when I was a kid, it was considered nonsense to state that there were planets in other parts of the universe. It always makes me laugh when people think our current scientific understanding is the ultimate authority.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Everyone who wanted to know what ELENIN was (physically anyway) at the core, now you know: High carbon Iron alloy with a hard diamond shell. My two cents worth.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join