It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Planet found made of diamond!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I already claimed it.

I plan to guide it into its nearby star by 2145. Humans don't need to fighting over such a place, I'm taking care of its disposal myself.
edit on 25-8-2011 by TheOneElectric because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I could send my wife there when she asks me for a diamond ring! Then I'll never have to worry about her complaining about me playing xbox, not cooking, cuddling, etc. and I'll never lose an argument ever again!

Husbands and boyfriends will rate this as best discovery ever. Now I just gotta figure out howto get her there. Hmm...

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Holy crap, they found Kripton!

Man, now we know what Donald Trumpet next mistress is getting for a ring lol!

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

how long do you think it will be until some sort of rapper will mention this planet of bling in one of their songs?
Never, because most mainstream rappers are too unintelligent to understand even the most basic concepts of Astronomy.

A planet made of diamond? It would be so awesome to get up close and actually see that thing.

It sucks that the thing that could give American space exploration a chance of being revived is profits made from mining this planet. Maybe Project Bluebeam is the real deal, and the governments of the world actually plan to stage a false-flag alien attack on our planet, and we'll have to invade their planet which just happens to be made of diamonds.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ecl1ps3
I could send my wife there when she asks me for a diamond ring! Then I'll never have to worry about her complaining about me playing xbox, not cooking, cuddling, etc. and I'll never lose an argument ever again!

Husbands and boyfriends will rate this as best discovery ever. Now I just gotta figure out howto get her there. Hmm...

FIRST!
Ill pop ur proverbial "cherry" and star ya good one lol

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by AllUrChips

The bad part is people will take this to be true and factual.

The excessive use of the terms “seems to be”, “must be”, “will effectively be”. “suggest” * 3, “is probably” * 2, “likely to” and finally “may be” tells me that they have no clue what they are talking about.

All of it is pure speculation based on known factors here on earth and then compared to data gathered from light reflections and various emissions from that region of space. We could go one step further and with a nonchalant naive attitude assume that since life as we know it is carbon based and this planet is primarily carbon that it in fact could be a living planet.

Please do some heavy research and fact finding before putting out an article that is based on 1/16 reality and starting the next PBS hit show of the month. If it’s true then great but make sure it is before publishing.

This was a comment on the site not my words but he makes a good point, they have no cule what they are talking about.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by amazed
This is cool. The universe is amazing and keeps me amazed.

But just remember, as soon as something like this is attainable to us then the price goes way down. If we had as many diamonds on this planet as grains of dirt, then it would be worth, well dirt.

Same with anything else that we call "bling", or actually anything, imagine if we found a planet of all oil that was attainable to us. Once we have an abundance of it, the AWE factor goes down.

Harm None
Peace

You are aware naturally occurring diamond is not as uncommon as YOU think, only as uncommon as De Beers WANTS you to think
If you take all the diamonds mined thus far there is potentially enough for every man woman and child in the US to have a cupful...

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by ThirdI

This was a comment on the site not my words but he makes a good point, they have no cule what they are talking about.

Such a compelling counter argument to the find.

Why dont you just call up Professor Bailes himself (he's the lead researcher of the team that made the discovery) and tell him personally he doesn't know what he's talking about?

Professor Matthew Bailes
Director of the Swinburne Centre for Astrophysics and Supercomputing.

Http: astronomy.swin.edu.au...
Email: [email protected]
Phone: +61 -3 9214 8782
Fax: +61 -3 9214 8797
Mobile: 0414 324 677

Source
edit on 25-8-2011 by ZombieJesus because: add link

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Earth is a carbon planet. Does that make earth a diamond planet too? We have loads of crystals!

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by blackrain17
It's only 4000 light years away. Now if we can somehow go faster than the speed of light, we can get there in less than 4000 light years...

www.theregister.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Yeah this is not going to make anyone rich. Diamonds are only rare, and thus expensive, because they are kept artificially scarce, due to leaving most of them in the ground.

This is the most obvious example there is of capitalists keeping resources artificially scarce in order to maintain their high profits. The whole capitalists system works on artificial scarcity. For example, food is only a scarce resource due to the machinery, and land, required being privately owned. There is no scarcity of labour. Give starving people access to the means of production, and they will produce. They can and will feed themselves.
But that doesn't make the capitalist any money.

If they found a food planet they would destroy it, rather than lose profit. The diamond industry would do all they could to stop it if someone decided to go mine that diamond planet, much like the oil industry does all it can to suppress alternative energy. Capitalism is keeping us in the dark ages.

Hey a diamond planet cool! God loves bling.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
"We figured out that the carbon interior of this white dwarf has solidified to form the galaxy's largest diamond," says Metcalfe.

How very singular!

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
What's more impressive is the fact that we can find out what a planet is made of from 4,000 light years away.

Amazing.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by DerbyCityLights
Holy crap, they found Kripton!

Man, now we know what Donald Trumpet next mistress is getting for a ring lol!

Best comment of the thread !!
If theres carbon and oxygen as the article suggests there may be life.
If anyone else wants one I'll talk to my brother hes such a tight a$$ he probably makes one a day.
edit on 25-8-2011 by Shirak because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamhobo
What's more impressive is the fact that we can find out what a planet is made of from 4,000 light years away.

Amazing.

I know and only minimal info on elenin.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I give it 5 months before some 'space mission' is started to send manual labour to that planet! You know I am not surprised we haven't started charging planet Mars tax for Universe space!

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Kim Kardashian can suck it...I want (fill in the blank planet) for my engagement ring!

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Kostas

You would give it 5 months!

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

I spit out my Snapple on my keyboard reading that-lol. I'd say a song will be made in about a week or two.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I hereby pronounce that I am claiming this planet in the name of ME.
I hosied it. That's it. It's mine.
NO TAKSEYS BACKZIES.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join