It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Planet found made of diamond!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   
”Helm officer.

Sir?

Set course for DeBiers 452 mark 8.

Course laid in, Captain.

Engage.”

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by underspace

Originally posted by 2012king
The reason diamonds are expensive is because they are rare (on earth anyway)

There has already been some talk about that in this thread.

Diamonds are not that rare on Earth.... certain colored diamonds are.

Also we can create diamonds in the lab.

I am not disputing that, however to find a full planet made of diamond and have the ability to harvest it, would completely crush the market for them, making them worthless.
Even if there was a mixture of different coloured diamonds on that planet, whatever colour you like, the sheer amount would make them worth as much as stone and mud is on this planet.

Maybe we could take a load of rocks with us when we go, just in case there is life there because they would probably be classed as rare gems there

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by blackrain17
It's only 4000 light years away. Now if we can somehow go faster than the speed of light, we can get there in less than 4000 light years...

If we go at the speed of light we'd get there in 4000 years. Light year is a measure of distance not time.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by AllUrChips

Why would they start the shuttle missions up becauseof this? Lol was that meant as a joke? It would only take onea few hundred thousand/millions years for a shuttle to get there...

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   
i guess we all know were earths first interstellar mining ships are going lol

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   

I already posted that they would find a planet found made out of DIAMOND. I am psychic and if you want to know anything else that is going to happen ask me.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by AllUrChips
www.reuters.com...

Wow! That would be one heck of a race to get to that planet. I wonder if NASA may decide to start up shuttle missions again after this news. (Reuters) - Astronomers have spotted an exotic planet that seems to be made of diamond racing around a tiny star in our galactic backyard.

The new planet is far denser than any other known so far and consists largely of carbon. Because it is so dense, scientists calculate the carbon must be crystalline, so a large part of this strange world will effectively be diamond

edit on 25-8-2011 by AllUrChips because: (no reason given)

Here is proof that I am psychic and knew that there was a diamond planet. www.abovetopsecret.com... Link to this and you will see my comment on the first page.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by light2012

I already posted that they would find a planet found made out of DIAMOND. I am psychic and if you want to know anything else that is going to happen ask me.

ok, what will this weeks lottery numbers be

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaveNorris

Originally posted by light2012

ok, what will this weeks lottery numbers be

ok i will have the numbers for the week after, dont want to have to share it

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
You know how NASA did those recordings of the planets? "Symphonies of the Planets"

They should do a Volume 2, "Symphonies of the Y-Dwarf Stars and Diamond Planets"

I'd buy it

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
impossible. this is a hoax. this does not fit in too our scientific understanding of the universe so there is no way for us to explain it or prove it. debunked.

mods please move thread to hoax bin. it is debunked. this house is clean

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by letscit

what? how is this a hoax? or impossible? you're telling me that stars over 11 AU across are possible, stars that are so dense that they collapse inward on themselves forever are possible, collisions between galaxies are possible, stars less than 90^F are possible! but not a planet made of diamond! that makes no sense! you know, minerals aren't excluded to just earth, they are found on every celestial body. large stars go through processes of hydrogen, helium, iron, carbon, etc.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
what carat would a diamond planet be then?

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by RoguePhilosopher

10 billion trillion trillion carats.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a bit more information about this planet : It's name is PSR J1719 1438b.
It is 1.2 times the size at Jupiter, but it has 20 times it's mass!!!!, and it rotates around its star in 1.2 hours. This indicates that it is actually a white dwarf.

Unfortunately I can only link to the abstract here, as you have to be a member of AAS to get the full article.

www.sciencemag.org...
exoplanet.hanno-rein.de...
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by letscit
impossible. this is a hoax. this does not fit in too our scientific understanding of the universe so there is no way for us to explain it or prove it. debunked.

Sorry, you are wrong. It seems to be a white dwarf, i.e. at one stage, it was a binary system with 2 stars, and the one star collapsed on itself.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by RoguePhilosopher

PSR J1719-1438 b would roughly be 189861000000000000000000000000000 carats, give or take a couple of billion!!!!

edit on 26/8/2011 by Hellhound604 because: (no reason given)

edit on 26/8/2011 by Hellhound604 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hellhound604

Originally posted by letscit

Sorry, you are wrong. It seems to be a white dwarf, i.e. at one stage, it was a binary system with 2 stars, and the one star collapsed on itself.

Er..methinks he's joking. Notice the "this house is clean" comment

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Celestica

Thats probably just a tad higher than I was thinking.

You could do a lot of damage with rogue planet like that!!

Some loon would try and stake a claim! Just like the old US gold rush days!.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Funny thing is, some kind of organic creature may wear a tiny chunk of it in some far away future. All while pondering questions about life and where everything came from...
edit on 26-8-2011 by Frostmore because: missplaced enter

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join