It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Through the eyes of Atheism

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

edit on 24-8-2011 by dusty1 because: que pasa?

edit on 24-8-2011 by dusty1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

I wouldnt really say man becomes less when he becomes an atheist. Its a sort of 'maturation' in a sense; Akin to growing up past santa clause. To realize many atheist views can be enlightening, relieving and liberating. Personally I am not an atheist, I suppose I would be agnostic but even then I dont like to label myself. All I can know is what I experience. I dont see an objective explanation for a lot of things I can experience, us humans are still in the infancy of understanding. How the hell can I know?

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Originally posted by 0zzymand0s
reply to post by randyvs

you said

[What if I told you that ALL of the various deities who have attracted followers or adherents on this planet, at one time or another were constructs designed to enrich and empower a controller-class of human beings who -- in one form or another -- have always ruled over the rest of the throng of "common humanity?" None of the gods are real. Rather -- they are reactive control mechanism's, designed to keep you locked inside a permanent state of ultra suggestibility].

I'd say you are 99% right. Where you miss it is that there is and always has been only one God. And these people you speak of ? Are in the Bible refered to as the wicked. Also they know God exists and are at war with him. I'd say also that you don't have the complete idea of just exactly what the hell is going on. Also the only reason I belive that I do ? Is because I believe what he tells me thru the Bible.

you said

[Consciousness (souls, ghosts, whatever) is a function of the higher math of the multiverse, folded through a fourth dimensional representation of time and space in a three dimensional, physical, carbon-based body. Other aspects of this same "consciousness" exist as lifeforms completely alien to your present sensory apparatus and level of awareness. There are aspects of this "higher dimensional mathematics" surfing the solar wind of the corona's of certain stars. Others work to slow their awareness until they become near solid. The entire span of human history is but a moment to their kind].

Blah blah W/E

When you "die," your body will return to the soil and become one with the life and water cycle of this planet. What you call your "soul" will fly unbound, and roam freely through five dimensional space, where the distance between things is less nebulous or absolute. You may fill yourself up with the love you experienced in this life, until your "body" becomes the stuff of new stars, and new galaxies, or you may fold your "sense of self" back down through lower matter, until you are "born again" as part of the lifecycle of another kind of being, on a distant planet, in another part of the galaxy (or even another galaxy altogether!).

You may suddenly realize you have been playing this game for so many Aeons that you have grown weary of it all, and focus all you have learned and experienced through a single point of space / time until you BANG another (new!) universe, bubbled off from the one we all share. From there you would sleep blissfully, and your dreams would determine the laws of that universe, and eventually -- all "consciousness" that dwelt within it.

You might believe any or all of that, but so long as you believed that the "gods" were constructs, designed by men to keep other men under control, you would still be an "atheist."

It's a great big multiverse, brother. Don't look down.
edit on 24-8-2011 by 0zzymand0s because: (no reason given)

more blah blah blah
edit on 24-8-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Damn Dusty nice post .

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by Wyn Hawks
reply to post by randyvs

...o'my gosh, randy...
...how many times are you going to beat this particular horse?... you've been told a thousand times (at least) that atheism is just a lack of belief in deities... anything else added to that is not atheism - its something else...

It is kind of shocking he had the audacity to start another thread like this.

All has been said/explained in previous threads. I miss Madness.

Well then this will be good news for you Annee. I can not continue in this thread. Computer trouble I apologise to everyone I've been trying to struggle thru but it's pretty much over. SLoooowwwww

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

I'm sorry if I seem short in this reply. Please give up sprouting such nonsense at somebody who finds it nonsense. What is between somebody else and I, be it a piece of creativity or a personal relationship, is personal and to claim it as an expression of some others will or design is to cheapen and belittle those feelings and to intrude upon intamacy with that crude being that sacrificed it's own child ( itself? ), perverse and unwarranted.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   

I’ve been following your posts. Where’s the evidence for your claims that Drummer asked you for?

Until you put up, you’re just blowing hot air, mate.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
I just think it's important to know, what we're looking at, if atheism is correct ? If I look at the world through the eyes of atheism ? Doesn't man suddenly become far less, than what he has over millennia, come to believe himself to be ? Atheism says, there is nothing spiritual about existence and that man does not have a soul.
That anything paranormal is all BS and this mundane existance, has come about for however long. So life is simply a space between two nothings.
Basically, it seems as though atheism, takes the rules of empirical science to far and applies them to life.
Science being the study of observable phenomena.
Atheism dosn't believe anything out of the ordinary ever does or ever has happened. But isn't it out of the ordinary, for mankind to have come into this existence, and make up
a whole part of himself that says the exact opposite? If mankind only evolved some how ? Why would he evolve
with a belief in deitys ?

Atheism limits this existance to things it finds rational. But is that even rational ?

Mods, it seeems I can never get in the right forum, so put this puppy somewhere ? Or leave it right here ?

lWrong....erm....wrong again....wrong.....wrong...

Id stick to religion if i were you

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by ErtaiNaGia

A random fluke devoid of consciousness eh? Do you really think that is the better explanation? Why then the seemingly endless drive towards ever-increasing complexification and consciousness, is all that just random happenstance, without purpose?

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

I think it's noteworthy that this post

post by NewAgeMan

was ignored...

edit on 25-8-2011 by NewAgeMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 03:53 AM
link   
mankind started to beleive in gods to explain the things they couldnt, now that we understand more about our universe through science, we can explain a lot more. just a couple hundred years ago, if you asked someone why the sun rose every morning and set every night they would say that god does it but today (because of science) we know that its because of the earths rotation on its own axis.

im not saying science has all the answers as there is still a lot to be discovered, but to say that athiests dont beleive in the paranormal is a load of bs. lots of athiests (and scientists) beleive in paralell universes, alternate dimensions and such, and they apply these theories to sightings of ghosts and cryptids.

yes i know i said 'theories' as they are not proven as fact, but if you think about it all religions are theories and cant be proven.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   

I think it's noteworthy that this post was ignored...

It was not ignored. The material quoted contains not one shred of evidence to support its claims. Neither is there any suggestion of a procedure by which the claim may be tested and verified or falsified. Nor is there a logical argument to support the claim.

I am coming to believe that you, and others like yourself, really do not understand what evidence means. An appeal to authority (‘Dr. Lazslo has a Ph.D and has written fifty scientific papers!’) is not evidence. A flood of impressive-sounding verbiage is not evidence, especially if it really means nothing when you parse it.

Evidence for a proposition is a substantive outcome – some thing, some effect, some logical result – that can only be caused by that which is being proposed. Can you come up with something like that?

edit on 25/8/11 by Astyanax because: it’s obvious, really.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Atheism is, in a broad sense, the rejection of belief in the existence of deities.[1] In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities.[2] Most inclusively, atheism is simply the absence of belief that any deities exist.[3] Atheism is contrasted with theism,[4][5] which in its most general form is the belief that at least one deity exists.[5][6] - from wikipedia

There seems to be much argument about what atheism even is? It is simple, atheist do not believe in a 'god'
I believe there is a high spectrum of atheists of different types and many of them have completely different beliefs other than the unifying belief that there is no god-being.

So, the post itself is a bit of a controversial post as the beliefs of an atheist can't be set in stone or in a guide book.

Personally, I think it pretty much means the denial of any theistic religion, but it doesn't rule out the idea of the soul or energy. It just means that there isn't a specific deity (a supreme being) controlling us, creating us or deciding what happens.

My own beliefs is that there is no god of that type, I think the world is the flow of a unifying energy in different shapes and forms. What people tend to forget is that there is a high likelihood of multiverses (many universes) that exists in different dimensions and energy frequencies. Our universe itself has billions of galaxies, and all that is need to have life is a sun-type energy form that releases energy and a planet that has water and is the right distance away from the energy matters rays.

That's the beauty of the universe. The thought of life existing elsewhere seems so potent, and to believe there is someone controlling all of this breaks the marvel of it. Everything has its flow, as do we humans. The beauty is in the nature, the world, the universe and it doesn't need any words or deities to signify its importance. Nature alone does that. If you behave in accordance to nature, you will be rewarded and gifted. And currently society is far from that and look at what is happening to it..

On the other hand, I think a type of feeling of being connected to it all is very much existence because we are as much each other, as we are this planet and the sun that gives us energy. We are everything. I just think this beautiful thing should be confused with a intellectual being who created all of this and controls us. Rather an understanding of the energy, its flow and its laws makes you more complete.

As an end note, those people who meditate/pray/believe in something larger than themselves have been proven to live longer. I believe it is everyone's choice to give that bigger something an explanation and live by it. I just don't like that people with undefined beliefs by a book, are targeted as somehow less moral or connected to this energy.

edit on 25/8/11 by TeroK because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Atheism says, there is nothing spiritual about existence and that man does not have a soul.

Here he goes again

It doesnt matter how many times people tell you Randy, you continue to come up with your own interpretation of Atheism.

Its really very SIMPLE. Wiki it and stop already with the mundane, I hate Atheist threads.

edit to add this quote, just for you Randy.

When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.

edit on 25-8-2011 by lifecitizen because: addition

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

If it could be proven by modern science that our reality is an intrinsic manifestation of a higher domain of intelligent light, would you be compelled by reason to accept the God-hypothesis?

edit on 25-8-2011 by NewAgeMan because: typo

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Yes, of the Theravada branch

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
I just think it's important to know, what we're looking at, if atheism is correct ? If I look at the world through the eyes of atheism ? Doesn't man suddenly become far less, than what he has over millennia, come to believe himself to be ? Atheism says, there is nothing spiritual about existence and that man does not have a soul.
That anything paranormal is all BS and this mundane existance, has come about for however long. So life is simply a space between two nothings.
Basically, it seems as though atheism, takes the rules of empirical science to far and applies them to life.
Science being the study of observable phenomena.
Atheism dosn't believe anything out of the ordinary ever does or ever has happened. But isn't it out of the ordinary, for mankind to have come into this existence, and make up
a whole part of himself that says the exact opposite? If mankind only evolved some how ? Why would he evolve
with a belief in deitys ?

Atheism limits this existance to things it finds rational. But is that even rational ?

Mods, it seeems I can never get in the right forum, so put this puppy somewhere ? Or leave it right here ?

I am sort and atheist, but more so agnostic. Atheism implies there is no god or grand creator. However saying that an atheist does not believe in spirituality is complete rubbish. YOU CANNOT generalize about atheists.

Atheism is not a dogma, there are no rules, regulations, guidelines, nothing. It is not a system of belief. An atheist is a person who does not believe in 'God'.

Now, i do not believe in God. I personally believe it's a slap in the face to humanity and everything in existence.
However i have a very strong views on spirituality, life/death, morals, how the universe works.

That being said - unless you are a troll, it really really frustrates me when people try to say what atheists believe and what they think, its just absolute rubbish.

When you say atheists limits things. That is also incorrect, the main difference between atheism and religious peoples is that atheists admit we don't have all the answers, where it is the opposite for that later.

Logically rational plausibility. - think about it.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I will do my best to lend you my eyes.

I feel like this an "introduce yourself" thread. Hi, I'm called an atheist. I'm really just a human. However, since I reject the God concept, I get called a name.

I experience optimism, although I know it is I who is initiating my progress. I get that feeling that things are happening for a reason, although I know it is my ability to learn and adapt.

Like any primate, I enjoy sexual stimulation, eating, excreting, and playing. My hobbies include, but are not limited to, playing board games, making art, designing and constructing papercraft, writing playing and recording music, juggling, performing magic tricks, writing scripts, scratch building, reading, and playing N64.

I have fun making people laugh and helping them out of mental funks. I interact with many people easily, yet I do feel lonely. I haven't found anyone to collaborate with. I'd like to initiate and be involved in some big projects, but people seem to not share my desires.

I think it's odd that humanity is not living in harmony all over the planet. We should be living with free energy and highly efficient production techniques. A work week should be at most 20 hours. Necessities should be a given, and leisure activities should be easily initiated. This all seems possible according to my calculations, but there seems to be a heavy propaganda against this utopia. I'm not sure why the people would parrot this propaganda. However, I have a hunch it may be that the masses think this life is just an inconvenience compared to the eternal bliss of an afterlife. I don't know if this really is a factor, or if there are other religious factors preventing humanity from reaching its full potential. I don't see through the eyes of the religious.
edit on 25-8-2011 by gentledissident because: gerund

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Why do we have to rehash this all of the time?

Just let things be and allow people to believe (or disbelieve if we're playing the semantics game) in whatever they want.

This isn't a mission field. I don't care what you believe your task is.

Randy and his kin aren't interested in different perspectives from what I've seen. Move on.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan
Therefore, BOTH positions are correct, but the atheist for the most part is approaching the issue from a contemptuous bias prior to investigation, which is disingenuous. If he was honest, he would be forced to admit that he's an agnostic.

So I asked you if you could prove any of your assertions as true. You responded back with even more assertions, then straw-manned atheists for your finale.

I'd like to know why anyone should believe your claims.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join