It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Through the eyes of Atheism

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Thundersmurf

Atheism is a faith friend!
edit on 25-8-2011 by Donkey_Dean because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

every religion is man made, prove me otherwise? just because some atheists say one thing doesn't mean it covers everyone? and just because no one worships a god doesn't mean they have an empty life. if it takes worshipping something to make your life seem more full i think it's kinda depressing

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Both atheists and spiritualists agree that there are things beyond knowledge, maybe perhaps even beyond understanding. The main difference between them is that while one group thinks this void of knowledge can be filled with wishful thinking, the other group says that there are no easy answers, "reality" isn't what is most comforting, strong faith doesn't equal strong fact.

Belief is not something to be selected and then set in stone, to be fortified against possible change. You must continuously reassess your confidence in each belief. After all, belief is only a model of the truth, it is not the truth itself.
edit on 25-8-2011 by Tearman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Someone here mentioned that the main difference between atheists and religous people who believe in God is that atheists can admit they don't have all the answers like religous people do.

If that's the case, that atheists do not want to say conclusively that God does exist, how can they say conclusively that God does not?

I for one believe that something "planted" us here, maybe not all of us, but certainlysome of us, but because of mankinds' lack of understanding way back when, we called whatever or whomever "planted" us here "God" for lack of a better term. As the centuries unfolded we took it more and more out of context, thanks to your "friendly and helpful" Catholic church, until what we have now is a belief system based on a tome that is so convoluted and contradictory that it's laughable that people actually take stock in it.

On a side note, if there is a mod on board here, why are most of the posts on page 7 larger than the rest of the thread? or is it my computer?

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Taupin Desciple
If that's the case, that atheists do not want to say conclusively that God does exist, how can they say conclusively that God does not?
We don't say it doesn't exist, we say we don't believe that it does. Belief is separate from truth. Some kind of God could exist, although with the vague definition of 'gods' that we use, its hard to say what that would mean. Anyway, our point is that we don't see reason to believe that God exists, therefor we do not believe that it does.

[When I say 'we', though, I'm really talking for myself. Although many atheists I've known appear to have similar to my own about such things, it's not right for me to speak in generalized fashion about all atheists.]

On a side note, if there is a mod on board here, why are most of the posts on page 7 larger than the rest of the thread? or is it my computer?
I don't see anything like that on my computer.
edit on 25-8-2011 by Tearman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

I honestly believe that Atheism stems from different things. The top Five.

1. Anger at an unanswered prayer or prayers.

2. Resistance to accountability and responsibility.

3. Fear of being targeted by Satan because of a belief in God. "If I close my eyes (deny Gods existence) , it's not there. (the devil wont target me)"

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by skepticconwatcher

if you honestly believe them things then your an idiot. most people dont need a divine being for them to live with purpose. i dont believe in god and im doing fine im perfectly happy in life. why dont i believe in a god? no reason i just dont i dont see any reason too and either way it doesnt affect my way of life.

your statement is like saying people only believe in religion because

1. they were taught to by their family

2. they have no sense of free will and prefer a life based around a schedule involving worshipping

3. afraid to live this life as they think life will be better when their dead? really depressing outlook

4. they took a mean dick by a priest and loved it

5. who doesnt like magic?

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Another difference between some of us is that I like to work within definitions because I don't think there's much point in talking about something unless we know what it is we're talking about, while others like to hugely expand definitions until they are meaningless and no one can be sure what is being discussed anymore. It is difficult to scrutinize a belief when it is based on terms that have no definition. Some people define god this way: God=infinite. Well that is basically the most meaningless concept possible. What is even the point in talking about it? And how could anybody justify a belief in nothing?

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLookingGlass

Why so hostile ?

There's no need to be. I did note (The TOP FIVE)

Not ALL of the reasons.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by skepticconwatcher
reply to post by randyvs

3. Fear of being targeted by Satan because of a belief in God. "If I close my eyes (deny Gods existence) , it's not there. (the devil wont target me)"

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

You're making the assumption that all atheists are the same and believe the same things. That would be incorrect.

Because someone doesn't believe in a God, doesn't mean that there's not magic and wonder and surprise in the universe.

I look at religion as a veil that gets pulled over your eyes to explain away the things that you don't know about. Atheism removes that veil and allows you to find the answers for yourself. Some people NEED that veil. They need to have a reason why things happen and make events have a purpose. Atheism removes that need.

I'm filled with child-like wonder at the intricacies of life and nature and everything around us and I'm an atheist. I'm a good person and I try to do good. My lack of a belief in a God or the afterlife hasn't affected my morality or the way I live my life, but it has enhanced my view of the world around me and fills me with a great sadness that people who believe in God judge me and condemn me because of my beliefs. I don't feel sad for me though, I feel sad for them because they need that crutch to continue living their lives "morally", even while looking down on others around them. It seems like such a waste that this person who might be a good person, has religion dragging them down.

Not all religious people are like that. I call those people the bible thumpers. The people who use their bible as a guidebook on how to tell people how to live their lives and how others should live theirs. If Christ really existed, I doubt he'd be happy as from what I've read, that's not very Christ-like. He'd be disappointed what the religions that uses his name have turned into. Or so I think from what I've read.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

You're not looking through the eyes of athiest at all. Well not all. I don't believe in God as you abviously do but it doesn't mean I dont believe in a soul. Perhaps we are each a god in our own right.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   

reply to post by randyvs

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   

reply to post by randyvs

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles

Originally posted by fenceSitter

Atheism is a personal belief.

False.

Correct term = Disbelief

Disbelief is nothing more than negative belief. In both cases, it is a belief, whether a negative one or not. It cannot be proven nor disproven. A deity can not be repeatably experimented on nor falsified, and so does not fall under the purview of science.

It falls under the heading of "faith", a belief in that which cannot be proven nor disproven. Either way, believe that it is there, or believe that it is not, it is still a belief.

Therefore, atheism IS a religion.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Athehism is just where they dont believe in a God, they can believe in ghosts and the loch ness monster and still be an atheists.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Donkey_Dean

Just want to say I'm really enjoying this thread. there seems to be an influx of posters I havn't seen before and their replys arn't the same ole " Randy, how many times do we have to go over this hyouuuu ! "

Some great replys so a thank you peeps for that. This one has exceeded my expectations by a stretch..

The Looking Glass

Please, please, please, theres no reason to say anytrhing even close to hurtful or offensive. I respectfully ask that you refrain from using such terms as idiot. Really makes you look like something that needs flushing any way.
edit on 25-8-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
I just think it's important to know, what we're looking at, if atheism is correct ? If I look at the world through the eyes of atheism ? Doesn't man suddenly become far less, than what he has over millennia, come to believe himself to be ? Atheism says, there is nothing spiritual about existence and that man does not have a soul.
That anything paranormal is all BS and this mundane existance, has come about for however long. So life is simply a space between two nothings.
Basically, it seems as though atheism, takes the rules of empirical science to far and applies them to life.
Science being the study of observable phenomena.
Atheism dosn't believe anything out of the ordinary ever does or ever has happened. But isn't it out of the ordinary, for mankind to have come into this existence, and make up
a whole part of himself that says the exact opposite? If mankind only evolved some how ? Why would he evolve
with a belief in deitys ?

Atheism limits this existance to things it finds rational. But is that even rational ?

Mods, it seeems I can never get in the right forum, so put this puppy somewhere ? Or leave it right here ?

edit on 24-8-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

Firstly, Atheism is simply the absence of a belief, not a set of beliefs. Many Atheists may not take the whole 'rational scientific' approach.

Atheism dosn't believe anything out of the ordinary ever does or ever has happened. But isn't it out of the ordinary, for mankind to have come into this existence, and make up a whole part of himself that says the exact opposite? If mankind only evolved some how ? Why would he evolve with a belief in deitys ?

Again, Atheism is simply the absence of a belief- many people think things 'out of the ordinary' happen- that doesn't mean Yahweh exists.

Why would he evolve with a belief in deitys ?

Did humans evolve with a belief in deitys? It is a social and cultural matter- are children born with the memories of their parents?

You biggest point seems to be that if there is no absolute objectivity then life drastically drops in importance. Yet all we ever really know and experience is our subjectivity- regardless of anything else existing this is what we experience.

But isn't it out of the ordinary, for mankind to have come into this existence, and make up a whole part of himself that says the exact opposite?

The "ordinary"? This is such a peculiar way of seeing everything. It still presumes there is an absolute of which to measure things. Are you in control of your conciousness? E.g. Are you directly in pre-emptive control of what thoughts come into your head? Similiarly, does the thought of something make it more likely to exist in reality? Obviously not, Santa proves this. A "no smoke without fire" attitude to this is ridiculous as it implies that anything thought of is an actuality and that we have a sub-conscious awareness of eternity and existence.

Please don't subscribe to this new view of the 'cold- hearted, super- rational atheist' defines Atheism- again, it is not a set of beliefs!! It is merely the lack of them. Also, you cannot choose what to believe- you can lie to yourself and others but you cannot choose.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by grahag
This one quote sums it up quite nicely:

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?” - Epicurus

What an absolutely disgraceful assumption.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by grahag
reply to post by randyvs

You're making the assumption that all atheists are the same and believe the same things. That would be incorrect.

Because someone doesn't believe in a God, doesn't mean that there's not magic and wonder and surprise in the universe.

I look at religion as a veil that gets pulled over your eyes to explain away the things that you don't know about. Atheism removes that veil and allows you to find the answers for yourself. Some people NEED that veil. They need to have a reason why things happen and make events have a purpose. Atheism removes that need.

I'm filled with child-like wonder at the intricacies of life and nature and everything around us and I'm an atheist. I'm a good person and I try to do good. My lack of a belief in a God or the afterlife hasn't affected my morality or the way I live my life, but it has enhanced my view of the world around me and fills me with a great sadness that people who believe in God judge me and condemn me because of my beliefs. I don't feel sad for me though, I feel sad for them because they need that crutch to continue living their lives "morally", even while looking down on others around them. It seems like such a waste that this person who might be a good person, has religion dragging them down.

Not all religious people are like that. I call those people the bible thumpers. The people who use their bible as a guidebook on how to tell people how to live their lives and how others should live theirs. If Christ really existed, I doubt he'd be happy as from what I've read, that's not very Christ-like. He'd be disappointed what the religions that uses his name have turned into. Or so I think from what I've read.

I just have to get this out first.

Christ did most definetly exist !

There that's feels better.

I, for the most part, concur with just about everything you've written here. I even realised a lot of the things that are wrong with my post as I was writting it. I guess I went ahead, so I could get a few things on record. For all I knew every atheist that's been thru here so far ? Might have said something like, " Damn right! now what are you gonna do about it ? ". That being an extreme of course.

New age man

You have taken a lot of hits thru this thread. A special nod to you my friend. Thank you very much for your demeanor here in.
You are aappreciated and I should have said this before now.

Epicurius
I believe it is.
My ancient history of this Roman escapes me now. I think he's Roman. Searching.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join