It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moderate Quakes Striking Odd Places in USA...Coincidence Or Not? Let's Find Out.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
No,,,its because of Elenin

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by 1PLA1

I know you asked Westcoast, but I thought maybe I could answer your question. I gotta think Westcoast has got alot of work going on. The reason they evacuated the "Capital buildings" is because of stuctural concerns. The reason they evacuated area's I would guess is because of safety reasons. There are some who would consider this a great time to make mahem if they could. And with all the goofy things going on like these "Flash mobs and such....

I also wanted to add that after I realized what was going on I started watching T.V. and all the "talking heads" were saying "This is not a big deal, No one should be panicking." And they all went back to what was going on in Tripoli. It was very apparant what they were doing. They even mentioned 9-11 and said rite out that they were afraid some people would freak out. So they really tried to down play it.

I personally think that the 5.8 as it is now, was closer to 6.0 or higher. Thats why we are all concerned that something isn't rite with this info.
edit on 23-8-2011 by crappiekat because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by nikiano

The solar flares could be a cover so be careful of assumptions, the best way to prove/disprove would be to check back through history when the sun was so active and see what sort of earthquakes occured then. you also need to factor in the locations as TPTB like to use their numbers because they have to tell us whats coming.

I would of thought if it was a solar flare then virtually everytime one hit us we would of had an event of some sort.

But whats the point in worrying, what can anyone do?

Lets assume we can work out its haarp would any of us do anything to another I doubt it.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I think personally that we have a lot to learn yet about the world we live on. I don't think that scientists have the foggiest clue where each and every single fault line is, in the USA, much less the world.

The reason I say this, is that I work in the gravel crushing (surface mining) industry, and in many pits we dig down into old riverbeds, etc...and in some of these are some interesting fault lines that are quite visible to even an untrained eye. This is an area not known for big quakes, but I'd have to say there were some in years past here, judging from what I've seen myself. However, this is now an area where they are using "frakking" to get into the Bakken oil reserve, and we could possibly see renewed activity here.

My point? Earthquakes and other natural phenomenon can occur anytime, anyplace. We live on a living, breathing, ever changing planet, and we best get used to it. Those who don't, or cannot adapt to the changing conditions around them, die.

Are the Colorado and Virginia quakes some sort of conspiracy? I actually rather doubt it. Colorado has the Rocky Mountains-- with mountainous areas being naturally active areas. Virginia has the Appalacians. While a much older range, I can see that seismic activity would be a pretty normal thing. Maybe not as common as is in the Sierra Nevadas, a much newer range of mountains, but it should still be expected.

Thanks for letting me put my 2 cents worth in. Have a great day, and hopefully we have seen the last of these quakes for now.

SK

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by crappiekat

Thanks!

When it comes to structural damage, it really doesn't matter so much on the size of the quake, as the type of architecture involved.

For example....in China somewhat recently a moderate quake (5.3 I think?) killed many people because their houses simply were not made to stand up to any kind of movement and collapsed, burying people.

The East coast is not built to withstand bigger quakes the way that the West coast is suposed to be. (we are greatly lacking in most areas too). Building codes are different, especially when you get into the historical buildings that are very old and made of stone.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I beleive I may have stumbled upon a correlation between these felt earthquakes and some magnetic anomalies reported on ATS a few months back
Could magnetic Anomalies Five months ago predicted the East Coast Earthquake?,

Hope there's not any aftershocks.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I wonder when people will acknowledge this as Earth's sovereign ability to realign herself and warn others of her doing so... Understanding the extent to which she is planning to go would destroy these little ATS egos...

edit on 23-8-2011 by ImplodeThisExistence because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Here you go westcoast, here's my complet hypothesis.

Okay, I figured it out. It's a long story, so hold on.

I won't detail too much of the events in Arkansas for the past year. It should be obvious to all that regularly read this thread. But they are intregal to the plot. They are the reason for the stress loads on the Colorado and Virginia zones. Notice Arkansas is quiet. Not a fluke.

First we must think about microsiesms. They are small signatures that come from oceans waves and tides. Recently a tropical waves created very enegetic microsiesms on many siesmos. It's hurricane season and these strong waves preceeded the weather setup that will bring the enegetic hurricanes. But the Atlantic was not the only place that was experiencing hurricanes. There was coincidentally a hurricane of Mexico at the same time producing large waves. And the moon was creating high tides.

So that's our opening for the second chapter. The first rare inland quake was Chihauhau Mexico. I would have forgetten it by now, but when looking back it makes perfect sense. Actually, it was at that time I developed the first part of my hypotesis. I made the claim that the ocean waves triggered the quake. It wasn't a strong case. But I made it nonetheless.

We know what happened starting with Colorado. Let me explain how it happened. Remember these zones were ready to fault because of the addition loads from Arkansas/Oklahoma/Texas. You can see them in isolation. They are connected. In many ways.

First, to explain properly, I need you to imagine a tuning fork. Instead of it held upright with the two arms pointing upward, turn it upside so the arms point to the ground. Now imagine Florida, or look at a map if you must. Now look at Mexico where is narrows as it stretches into Central America. There. You have a tuning fork. The Florida Pennisula acts as it's one of the arms on the tuning fork. And South Mexico acts as the other arm. Imagine the handle extending up through the middle of the USA.

The waves where hammering the arms of this geological fork just as you would hit a tuning fork with it's hammer. You get a resonance. And the waves sent small waves toward the middle of the continent.

First Chihauhau went off. And then Colorado started it's swarm. Virgina then released it's energy. But what was the exact trigger? Wait, let me stop there. The resonse of the waves from the ocean would have passed through the ground water. These vibrations would shake loose soils and created erosion. This erosion would weaken faults. It's almost like liquifecation.

But there's something else. The resonance itself, and what cyrstal do when resonsated at the right frequency. They shake. In Windsor Ontario, they've been hearing strange humming coming from the ground. I thought this was simply as a result of the mining industry in the salt mines. But no. They ruled out industrial activity. But it was the mines, and the salt. The salt, which is a cyrstal can resonsate. And the mines act as a loud speaker. Notice that Windsor would be near the top of your tuning fork.

So, we have ocean tropical waves creating microsiesms which resonate through the crust. They encounter salt and cyrstal formation and the mine shafts amplify the waves. Hence you get the ground moaning. Must have been spooky.

So, how does that relate to Colorado and Virginia. Easy. The both have coalmines near by. To the southwest of Colorado there's a coal mine. And waster water injection. But I won't go there for the time being. But water is in the mix, but not as the main catalyst. West Viginia is famous for it's mines. The waves from the ocean resonated, Hell maybe the coal, isn't it a cyrstal, just black, maybe I'm wrong, watching Breaking Bad in order to improve my chemistry skills. Or there could be quartz mix in and when this quartz vibrated, the waves were amplified. This shaking pushed an already over stress fault system beyond it's threshold.

So, that's how it went down. I really don't care if you don't believe it. I complety believe my hypothesis. My story. I've been watching the siesmos constantly over the last few weeks. That's why I can follow the sequence of events and add them all together. I simple observed the patterns and noted the activity, then looked around to observe other phenomenon and studying the links. It's a chain of events. It's a chain reaction and it all started one year ago in Arkansas. It started with a tiny quake.

And you wonder why I obsess on the tiny ones. I'll let Muzzy and Puterman give me an education on the big ones. But those teeny tiny ones, they're mine. I'm only interested in the big ones in relation to the small ones because that's how the whole thing begins. Earthquakes are the ground moving. And that movement at first is usually small. Imperceptable almost.

That's why Sherlock had a magnifying glass. So he could see the small stuff. Ironic. Sherlock's fater gave his brother Mycroft his magnifying glass in his will.

That's my conclusion. That's my story. And I'm sticking to it.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Robin Marks

Well Robin....THAT is an interesting theory,and it makes sense.

It also goes a long ways to explain some of the wierd stuff (signatures) going on with the Arkansas swarm. (I know what you were referring to)

Obviously, the more water in the ground, the greater the liquifaction. This would perhaps lend credence as to why the quake was so widely felt? There is WHOLE lotta mining going on over there in Virginia.

So then the question would lead to: what next? Ofcourse, still we wouldn't really know the answer to that. I am starting to form a picture in my mind now of what it must look like just below the surface in the states. Including the shale, gas, water (natural and injected) all coming together with known and unknown faults, minerals, vibrations and liquifaction. Hmmmmmmm.....

ETA: For whatever reason, I feel like we need to be watching Oklahoma.
edit on 23-8-2011 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Mimir

All you need to do is follow the richest people on the east coast, if they all bail the area then something bigger is coming.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I have a question... On the USGS site, they show a EQ in the Youngstown, OH area that happened Monday, could that have been a foreshock or is it too far away? I don't have alot on knowledge on this subject and was just wondering...

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by sdcigarpig
The 2 that the OP mentioned, the one in Colorado/New Mexico, and the one in Virgina, those are something that everyone should wake up and pay attention to, as there is no faults in that area

Not true. I suggest you use some of the links around here so you don't continue to fear monger and spread false information.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Your welcome. I'm work alot so I don't have alot of time on the computer. The time I do spend is mostly reading and learning. So I don't post much. But i'm always aware

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   

I was browsing through the weather and came across this pic.Notice the pressure system and how it is over the affected area.Downward pressure from the Noth moving North East and the pressure pushing in from the coast from Irene.Could this be a contributing factor?Does anyone know if the water levels have increased on the east coast?

edit on 23-8-2011 by Daedal because: Added text

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Actually my new hypothesis changes my main concern. I was thinking Memphis. But no. If there is a connection and if there is a bigger on. I will be in Moussori. But much farther than NMZ. It will be near St Louis. Peoria. Between those two. Mid Moussori. Isn't Joplin mid Moussori? That would be unfair. No. I hope I'm wrong about that one.

Well, no. There is no happy. But when I think of the destruction it will cause Memphis, I just say anwhere but there. I'm not trying to push it into anyone's backyard. But it will come. No idea how long. I'd say a month.

But probably longer. It may depend on the hurricane season and whether the tropical waves pick up again.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Where people usually go wrong is not only in not reviewing the many, many other threads on the same topic full of information, but also not understanding the word average or averages.

The average number of earthquakes of a certain size is the average since they have been taking records. Some years there will be more, some years less. To have any statistical meaning where it comes to earthquakes we don't even possess enough data yet and even if we did, no computer yet exists that could run the models. Same thing with the weather.

It's pure arrogance to think that anyone can predict much of anything on either topic.

For instance today's earthquake was epicentered at the exact same spot expected for one in that area. Same thing in regards to the ones at the New Madrid. The one in Colorado is also not in an unexpected location no matter how may spread that falsehood. I guess some just like to advertise their lack of study or knowledge or do it on purpose to scare people for fun.

Seismic Hazard Map for that area showing that this was were it would be expected to happen historically.

Some truthful information on the Virginia Quake as opposed to the fabricated stuff making the rounds on ATS.

The Virginia earthquake of 2011 August 23 occurred as reverse faulting on a north or northeast-striking plane within a previously recognized seismic zone, the "Central Virginia Seismic Zone." The Central Virginia Seismic Zone has produced small and moderate earthquakes since at least the 18th century. The previous largest historical shock from the Central Virginia Seismic Zone occurred in 1875. The 1875 shock occurred before the invention of effective seismographs, but the felt area of the shock suggests that it had a magnitude of about 4.8. The 1875 earthquake shook bricks from chimneys, broke plaster and windows, and overturned furniture at several locations. A magnitude 4.5 earthquake on 2003, December 9, also produced minor damage.

Link to the Seismic Hazard Map for the one in Colorado, once again showing it DID NOT OCCUR IN AN UNEXPECTED AREA!

NOTE: To see these maps you have to click on the link and look at them.

Folks, ignore the fear mongers who are spreading false information. People who fabricate stuff to scare people are not your freinds.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by wutz4tom

According to my two sons who were home at the time our house heaved upward then down again, then shook from side to side. I am in Hampton Va about 120 miles from the epicenter to the south east.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM

Originally posted by sdcigarpig
It is not the earthquakes in areas with faults or volcanoes that should be payed attention to, as there will always be earthquakes.

Rather it is the ones that are in what would be considered geologically stable areas that bear for us to pay attention to, as they are out of the ordinary and should be of concern. The 2 that the OP mentioned, the one in Colorado/New Mexico, and the one in Virgina, those are something that everyone should wake up and pay attention to, as there is no faults in that area, infact looking at the geological maps they do not make sense as to why they occured.

Once upon a time New Mexico was very geologically unstable. There are numerous extinct volcanoes and lava floes here, and who knows what still lurks underneath this area. There are many mountain ranges here as well, and those mountains didn't get to their present form without a little rumbling. So the quake here - I am not too surprised about. The one in Virginia, much more so.

The one in Virginia not so much if you look at the mountains to the west. The quake was in the piedmont of these mountains and they are evidence of seismic activity for sure.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast

Well that makes ME feel better! lol I live approximately 6 miles from the Meers fault here in SW Oklahoma. iirc it's the only exposed fault outside of CA.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast

I literally live on top of the Meers fault line in Oklahoma. Haven't even felt a grumble from it since I was like ten. We've had a couple minor tremors over the years though.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join