It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moderate Quakes Striking Odd Places in USA...Coincidence Or Not? Let's Find Out.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by EdSurly

Some information I found on the Meers fault from a pdf; geology.ou.edu...

A snippet from the paper;

Finally, the Meers Fault needs to be mentioned.
Harlton identified and mapped this fault in
both the surface (Slick Hills and the Meers Valley
area) and the subsurface but didn’t emphasize one of
its most peculiar characteristics. That characteristic
is the offset of present topography along the fault
trace. From the length of the visible fault trace and
the offset, and using data from faults in the more
actively deforming western U.S. as a guide, one can
estimate the magnitude of the earthquake associated
with the formation of the fault scarp to be about 7.
That this earthquake occurred only about 1100 years
ago should give all of us pause here in the “stable”
Midcontinent.

An aerial picture of the fault;

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/173f61bc6346.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Headshot

Hah! Hello neighbor! I certainly felt the one we had.....what was it? Ten years ago or so? I thought an ammo dump on Ft. Sill blew up or something. Pretty wild for a western Okie

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Ummmm....Virginia. Must be DARPA cooking some experimentation up....

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
Where people usually go wrong is not only in not reviewing the many, many other threads on the same topic full of information, but also not understanding the word average or averages.

The average number of earthquakes of a certain size is the average since they have been taking records. Some years there will be more, some years less. To have any statistical meaning where it comes to earthquakes we don't even possess enough data yet and even if we did, no computer yet exists that could run the models. Same thing with the weather.

It's pure arrogance to think that anyone can predict much of anything on either topic.

For instance today's earthquake was epicentered at the exact same spot expected for one in that area. Same thing in regards to the ones at the New Madrid. The one in Colorado is also not in an unexpected location no matter how may spread that falsehood. I guess some just like to advertise their lack of study or knowledge or do it on purpose to scare people for fun.

Seismic Hazard Map for that area showing that this was were it would be expected to happen historically.

Some truthful information on the Virginia Quake as opposed to the fabricated stuff making the rounds on ATS.

The Virginia earthquake of 2011 August 23 occurred as reverse faulting on a north or northeast-striking plane within a previously recognized seismic zone, the "Central Virginia Seismic Zone." The Central Virginia Seismic Zone has produced small and moderate earthquakes since at least the 18th century. The previous largest historical shock from the Central Virginia Seismic Zone occurred in 1875. The 1875 shock occurred before the invention of effective seismographs, but the felt area of the shock suggests that it had a magnitude of about 4.8. The 1875 earthquake shook bricks from chimneys, broke plaster and windows, and overturned furniture at several locations. A magnitude 4.5 earthquake on 2003, December 9, also produced minor damage.

Link to the Seismic Hazard Map for the one in Colorado, once again showing it DID NOT OCCUR IN AN UNEXPECTED AREA!

NOTE: To see these maps you have to click on the link and look at them.

Folks, ignore the fear mongers who are spreading false information. People who fabricate stuff to scare people are not your freinds.

Thank you for your contribution and information. I think I've been pretty clear on this and other threads that much less is known than known. Early on, people found information about the fault you also posted.

Ofcourse, geologically speaking, 100 yrs is nothing. But we are talking about people and recent, recorded history. The last known recorded quake anywhere near this mag in Virginia was over 100 yrs ago, so I would think it safe to say that for those living in this area for over the past 100 yrs it is a rare occurance. As you pointed out, there simply wasn't anything in place to study these events back then so we really don't know what is and is not 'normal' for more than a couple of hundred years (which is nothing)

Same can be said for Colorado. That seismic map is not at all impressive. Most seismic maps on USGS are much more cluttered and you can see that most all on there have been of minor magnitude.

I don't think discussing it is fear mongering...and I really do thank you for the information. I think the more scientific studies and fault mapping, the better understanding we have. I think the most significant point here about the type of fault involved in Virginia is that they estimate it could produce a quake with upwards of a 7.0(ETA...trying to find where I read this as to back it up. Anyone else read that and remember where? until then...don't take my word on it). I don't think most people even knew this potential was there...so perhaps it will be a wake-up call to some to be prepared.

Is it such a bad thing to expose the potential for a natural disaster? There is a difference between edcuation and fear mongering.

edit on 23-8-2011 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Robin Marks

Hmm..intresting hypothesis. What if you take in consideration,lets say, Tiptonville,ridgley,Dyersburg or Union City in Tennessee.All are pretty close to the Missippi river and are across from your proposed site and all are in the NMZ. Dyersburg, Tiptonville and Ridgley would be at the worst part..nothing but sand under the ground and water under/somewhat above that. Tiptonville is home of reelfoot lake which was created bythe New Madrid big quake. Ridgley is called such because supposedly the ground lifted and made that area a basin with ridges around it..thats local talk,so i dont buy it much. I was at Reelfoot lake last saturday and noticed the sesimo was cut off for once..odd...I usually go every weekend.I live not too far away and our EMA pretty much summed it up that when the next quake hits say goodbye to our little chunk of tn.Memphis' main issue would be that it right on the river and everything from St.louis,Ridgley,union city,d-burg and every other city between will be sending there buildings and trash right at them.The city would be totally flooded and most likely be part of the river. I live on the new madrid couldnt be any closer less I lived under ground..lol..so I know when it comes...eeeeh whatcha gonna do,but i am prepared none the less.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Another tremble in Virginia just a few minutes ago. Looks to be around a 3.0 mag.

Here's the seismo station showing it: LINK
edit on 24-8-2011 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
The one in colorado is actually near a large caldera swath in Northern New Mexico. So to say there is no geological reason for an earthquake is kinda misleading, as there have been permeations through the crust into the mantle where liquid hot magma can reach the surface and belch forth lava.

Mt. Taylor

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
In St. Louis, around the 1800's there was a massive quake that rocked that area.
The quake was so massive, that the Missippi River flowed in the opposite direction. So Missouri is indeed vulnerable as well.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by saabster5

Thanks for the link....that's the kind of stuff I'm interested in.

Here's the recent virginia quake:

Magnitude 3.4
Date-Time Wednesday, August 24, 2011 at 04:45:26 UTC
Wednesday, August 24, 2011 at 12:45:26 AM at epicenter

Location 37.925°N, 77.994°W
Depth 4.9 km (3.0 miles)
Region VIRGINIA
Distances 44 km (27 miles) ESE of Charlottesville, Virginia
59 km (36 miles) SW of Fredericksburg, Virginia
63 km (39 miles) NW of RICHMOND, Virginia
78 km (48 miles) NNE of Farmville, Virginia

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 11.8 km (7.3 miles); depth +/- 3 km (1.9 miles)
Parameters NST= 59, Nph= 81, Dmin=62.3 km, Rmss=1.27 sec, Gp=119°,
M-type="Nuttli" surface wave magnitude (mbLg), Version=5
Source Magnitude: USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID usc0005ivl

source

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
And now the voice of reason:

To say these events are extra ordinary is simply a lie. First off, the earthquake in Colorado might have of been the biggest in 40 yrs, but it is still not proof that it is necessarily out of the ordinary. The fact that it was the biggest in 40 yrs, simply proves there have been past earthquakes in thr region. Pre 2012, Elenin, earth changes histeria. The same can be said about the quake in Virgina. The last quake recorded of that magnitude was recorded 80 yrs ago. That's a differential of 40 yrs between these "catastrophic" earth changes.

Although we have seen an increase in seismic activity in the past couple of years, it needs to noted that these areas have also become heavily populated over the decades which adds to the level of destruction and subsequent casualities.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Another, slightly larger quake again in Virginia. I am guessing around 3.8 to 4.0 this time. Will update with the listing when its posted on USGS.

ETA: OOPS. I am getting tired. This one was in Colorado. They are taking turns.

ETA: LINK to closest Colorado seismo

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by sdcigarpig
It is not the earthquakes in areas with faults or volcanoes that should be payed attention to, as there will always be earthquakes.

Rather it is the ones that are in what would be considered geologically stable areas that bear for us to pay attention to, as they are out of the ordinary and should be of concern. The 2 that the OP mentioned, the one in Colorado/New Mexico, and the one in Virgina, those are something that everyone should wake up and pay attention to, as there is no faults in that area, infact looking at the geological maps they do not make sense as to why they occured.

BBABABABABABINGO!!!!!!!!!

exactly right.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by darpa999

just a little clarification on that..the quake itself did not cause the water to flow backwards,it was the islands raised up in the missippi pluss debri of trees and such causeing a back lash much like water hitting the end of a bath tub.that water filled in the once native territory(which sank) creating reelfoot lake. Just little info for you there.good point bringing it up cause the same thing will happen again except now we have big ol st.louis and other towns with houses car silos,etc not to mention barges.What a mess!

Edit...sept 4 is less than two weeks..I hope whatever I was seeing dosent..its the begining.October is when the fun happens..well not so fun..Im hopeing to sum it up as bad sushi..lol
edit on 06/08/2011 by cyberboiraves because: pun

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Is it just me or does it look as the one in VA, CO, Japan, and Afghanistan all seem to be around the same latitude? I know one sentence entry but what can I say.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Seven different threads all with their own analogy.

Please read what I am telling you.

The Appalachian Mountains is due to the African continental plate and the American continental plate. You can also call these tectonic plates. The fact that the African plate is colliding with the American plate is known. What is not widely known is the fact that the African plate and the American plate is a Subduction Zone. This means the softer and most sponge like material is on top of all the bed rock, instead of like the West in LA and CA coast where it's rock but then clay. Not to mention the west coast is the lowest point on earth, it's - 350ft below sea level.

Anyway's. I doubt a 8.0 would effect anyone on the East coast unless the epi was in a city.. Back in the 1800's they did not have the technology to measure earthquakes adequately. So a 4.0 to them could have been a 10.0. Who knows??? We have new Category's for storms and natural disasters every five years. MSM is telling us 5.7 or 6.0. But then release images of total destruction.

BUT WAIT. EVERY HOUR I SEE NEW MSM STREAMS OF DAMAGE IN VA. AM I BLOWING THE WHISLE AND FEAR MONGERING LIKE EVERY OTHER THREAD? NO.

This is a natural occurrence.
edit on 24-8-2011 by SelfSustainedLoner because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Jeez - Colorado and Virginia both just had new aftershocks. I am monitoring this on Live earthquakes map - they were both about the same magnitutde and the same depth - this is some crazy stuff. Where does that leave us who live in the middle???? Any experts still awake?

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   
oops - here is the link showing the quakes - hope these are aftershocks and not forshocks... quakes.globalincidentmap.com...

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by karendva

Well, I am by no means an expert...but my advice would be what I always tell people.

Just pay attention, be aware of what the risks are for where you live and be as prepared as possible just as you would for any other natural disaster. There is nothing you can do about it except for educate yourself.

I live in one of the most dangerous places in the world, geologically speaking. I am not into fear mongering, but awareness. Just be prepared.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by EdSurly

YOU ARE MY CLOSEST ALLY FOR THIS THREAD

www.abovetopsecret.com...

BOOYa!

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Same latitude as New Madrid and nearly equidistant.

That being said, having no known faults does not render quakes impossible in an area. There is tension throughout the crust. Faultlines are areas of greater activity but not all shifting is done on faults.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join