It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moderate Quakes Striking Odd Places in USA...Coincidence Or Not? Let's Find Out.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by 200457

where is the connection between HAARP and the quakes in question?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
reply to post by Robin Marks

I immediately thought of this thread: Map of the strange sound phenomenon heard around the world

But none on that map seem to implicate the location of the recent quakes.
edit on 23-8-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

Actually, based on this thread, I'm rethinking that.

Investigating the Weird hums, booms and tremors

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Another moderate quake hit Virginia. This time (so far) a 4.2. I think though, based on the seismo that it may be upgraded to a 4.4 or 4.5

Magnitude 4.2
Date-Time Wednesday, August 24, 2011 at 00:04:36 UTC
Tuesday, August 23, 2011 at 08:04:36 PM at epicenter

Location 37.917°N, 77.891°W
Depth 7.8 km (4.8 miles) (poorly constrained)
Region VIRGINIA
Distances 52 km (32 miles) ESE of Charlottesville, Virginia
54 km (33 miles) SW of Fredericksburg, Virginia
55 km (34 miles) NW of RICHMOND, Virginia
81 km (50 miles) NNE of Farmville, Virginia

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 10.1 km (6.3 miles); depth +/- 9.4 km (5.8 miles)
Parameters NST= 82, Nph= 96, Dmin=55.7 km, Rmss=1.24 sec, Gp=126°,
M-type="Nuttli" surface wave magnitude (mbLg), Version=4
Source Magnitude: USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID usc0005iu6

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
And here you go. This is what I am talking about:

(Quake on the bottom recent 4.2 in Virginia, three graphs on top a new moderate quake around 3.0 in colorado)

What's with that dip after the Colorado quake? (scroll pic to right) I have been noticing this occuring more and more....ground movement?
edit on 23-8-2011 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
This is a side note I know. I am in central TN and the other day I got a giggle because they evacuated and closed a library because of a suspicious looking box. After the bomb squad was called out and they investigated the "white box with wires coming out of it" they found it to be a seismograph. I remember laughing at the time but, this was just a few days ago. Why would someone randomly leave a seismograph outside the wall of a public library? Are they not expensive? Weird timing anyhow.

Westcoast, you are awesome keep up the good work. I look forward to following this thread over the next couple of days.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Maybe this is going to come out of left field, and be considered a stupid question, but here goes...if it was already addressed and answered I missed it - sorry...

Why was this quake felt in SOOO many different states? I am in VA, 220 miles from the quake today. I felt the quake, but nothing major. My parents are up in MA this week, not to give too much info but...my dad was on the toilet upstairs..my mom felt the house shake and thought my dad had fallen down...she went to check on him and he said "I'm on the toilet-AND ITS SHAKING!" they are 530 miles from the quake. I realize it was not deep at all, is that why so many states felt it? It seems that some further away from me (family members in PA and CT) said that the walls were shaking and the pictures moving....does any one else find this strange? Some, further away, had more obvious signs of a quake than I did...how is that?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by jtma508
The CO quake --- although not huge by fault-area standards --- was unique becuase it was so large based on history. Biggest in 40yrs. How about the VA quake? How does that one stack-up historically?

The news has said it's Virginia's largest quake since 1897

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by summer5

Good questions to ask. Normally, the answers are yes and yes. Meaning that it was a moderate sized quake so it will be felt widespread and that because it was shallow it was felt even more. Another big factor is the type of soil or ground formation involved. (rock vs shale vs sand, etc)

HOWEVER....there are many of us questioning the size of this quake. On the IRIS seismo it comes across as massive:

SEISMO

So we'll see what falls from the tree here in the next day or so. I think there are still more questions than answers right now and I personally don't think it's over yet. I don't think that last quake (still listed as a 4.2) is an aftershock.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Reply to post by jtma508

The Washington area has had small, infrequent earthquakes over the years, including a 2.5-magnitude quake in 1997 that was within 25 to 30 miles of Friday's quake and a 2.3-magnitude quake in 1996 that was within 15 miles

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I am in Asheville NC. I did not feel anything here, although alot of people on this area and down into SC felt it.

Thanks for all the great info on this thread. I just got home and am catching up (hell of a day at work and no time for reading). As one who is tuned I to the earthquakes and my interest in them, the locations of these quakes is a bit concerning.

If any of these larger quakes had happened in an area such as Greenbrier a few months ago, we could attribute it to the fact that they had been having swarms. These two quakes are disconcerting as they are not in quake prone areas. Will be keeping my eyes on this thread...and thanks for all the work and info pht into it.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Reply to post by westcoast

Neither do I. Going to have to keep a close watch on these.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
LOLOLOL. Some people thought it was another 9/11. I wouldnt be surprised if al'Qaeda claimed the earthquake ROFL, it would be just like them to say they did it.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by sdcigarpig
It is not the earthquakes in areas with faults or volcanoes that should be payed attention to, as there will always be earthquakes.

Rather it is the ones that are in what would be considered geologically stable areas that bear for us to pay attention to, as they are out of the ordinary and should be of concern. The 2 that the OP mentioned, the one in Colorado/New Mexico, and the one in Virgina, those are something that everyone should wake up and pay attention to, as there is no faults in that area, infact looking at the geological maps they do not make sense as to why they occured.

Once upon a time New Mexico was very geologically unstable. There are numerous extinct volcanoes and lava floes here, and who knows what still lurks underneath this area. There are many mountain ranges here as well, and those mountains didn't get to their present form without a little rumbling. So the quake here - I am not too surprised about. The one in Virginia, much more so.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Does anyone think all these underground bases the gov has been building in preparation for 2012. may be hitting unstable area while tunneling from Colorado towards DC & Pentagon. Just a wild guess . Odd how shallow these quakes are and happening in otherwise stable areas. Looking at the US map, you could draw a straight line from Colorado (Cheyenne Mountain) to Va. and see various size quakes that have recently happened along that line with the worst happening at the beginning and finish. Crazy thought I know but we live in crazy times.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I prescribe to the Oscillating systems theory wherein the earth entrained to the Sun and other astral body oscillations responds with resonant effect whenever there is say a large flare.

Lag is experienced as pressure along plates needs to build before a shift event occurs .

LAst week we had a substantial X class flare this week some reasonable sized quakes. The orthodox criticism about this theory is fast becoming redundant.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
So just a question...what is anyones opinion or fact based answer that this could affect the New Madrid? Could West Tn be seeing a quake within the next day or two?I am just confused about all this..This is going on my calander as quake day.Still holding to my sept 4th d-day opinion.just got that feeling.Ignore that last rant. What bout the new madrid?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Nice, but it didn't stop at your northern border. I was at my work when it hit, and the Computer Room became all 'watery'. I thought to myself, what are they doing on the roof? It must be one heavy A/C unit they're swapping! But no, it wasn't. The other Operator got a text message from someone telling him there was just an earthquake. Well then I knew what that was. I'm in Markham, ON. Just north north east of Toronto, ON.
edit on 23-8-2011 by bugstomper because: Typos!

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I'm from Colorado - while they are uncommon, we do get earthquakes in that area. There is fault activity there. So it's not unheard of by any means. They are usually smaller however.

The bigger oddity (or concern), is it happening in multiple locations. Make you wonder if one event triggered both locations.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Hi ats have been watching in now for many years today's eq compelled me to sign up in response to westcoasts post with the 4.2 eq data why is it dated Wednesday aug 24 sorry join and start with question( no doubts of course ) just didn't understand why nobody caught this looking forward to talking with you all

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

I feel as though this could be related to HAARP. The planes where I live spray often and I am very use to seeing it. However, today in the earlier portion before the quake, they seemed to be going overboard with the spraying. They were spraying at least 3 to 4 times more than I have ever seen. Now I know that they (TPTB) can use the HAARP system for weather control / manufacturing. Do you think this could have been a test? This kind of stuff just doesn't really happen where I live. So my brow has been raised. I live in Virginia between DC and Richmond. Did anyone between NY, PA, DC, MD, VA see any other over spraying today before the quake hit?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join