It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$490G Stimulus Grant Creates ... 1.72 Jobs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Federal Stimulus Funds for Nevada's Green-Industry Grows Trees, But Few Jobs

A federal stimulus grant of nearly $500,000 to grow trees and stimulate the economy in Nevada yielded a whopping 1.72 jobs, according to government statistics. In 2009, the U.S. Forest Service awarded $490,000 of stimulus money to Nevada's Clark County Urban Forestry Revitalization Project, aimed at revitalizing urban neighborhoods in the county with trees, plants, and green-industry training. According to Recovery.gov, the U.S. government's official website related to Recovery Act spending, the project created 1.72 permanent jobs. In addition, the Nevada state Division of Forestry reported the federal grant generated one full-time temporary job and 11 short-term project-oriented jobs.

Way to go!! I guess when they were talking about "Shovel Ready" projects, they meant it literally. They grabbed half a million dollars, handed a guy a shovel and said "Start Digging!"

"The goal obviously was to make trees available to local government entities, parks, schools, things like that, at our state nursery," said Conrad. "We basically grew and provided about 2,000 trees to these local entities." The grant also funds Spanish-language training for Hispanics in the landscaping and tree care industry to "develop employability skills and increase job retention." Conrad could not say how many, if any, jobs were created by that training.

Actually, I thought the whole goal of the stimulus we all forked over was to create jobs.

Nevada has the highest unemployment rate in the nation, which, according to latest U.S. Department of Labor statistics, stood at 12.9 percent in July.

While trees are great, and any time a school, park, or neighborhood can be made nicer, that's a good thing, but are moves like this really the best thing they could come up with when the economy is in a tailspin? 1.72 jobs? Really?

"The president may well propose new stimulus efforts when Congress returns from recess,” said Kellogg, “and those who learn from past stimulus debacles will not be fooled again.”

When is this kind of madness going to end?

Again, don't get me wrong, I love trees... in fact, a buddy of mine got into a tree planting kick and we used to go out on the weekends to plant a couple just for the heck of it. I even lined my own street with Chinese Maples, twice, because some scumbag came through and stole every single one the first time.

The point is, less than 2 jobs got created out of this and it looks like round two appears to be sooner, than later.

Good Job Harry, I hope somebody gets yours.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
what do you expect its 500,000 the best it could do would be create 30 jobs for a year, its not like what they are doing wouldnt be a service that would constantly need funding, and the 30 jobs doesnt include materials

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by lernmore

nevada's governor, who used those funds, is a republican.

from his own .gov website:

"Brian Sandoval was elected Governor of Nevada on November 2, 2010. He took the oath of office before Chief Justice Michael Douglas shortly after Noon on January 3, 2011. Governor Sandoval comes to his office after a long career in public service. He was appointed United States District Judge for the District of Nevada by President George W. Bush in October 2005"

So, yes, the funds were very likely misused. By a republican. end of story.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by sgreco

Nice try, but maybe you missed the part where the money was awarded in 2009?

In 2009, the U.S. Forest Service awarded $490,000 of stimulus money to Nevada's Clark County Urban Forestry Revitalization Project, aimed at revitalizing urban neighborhoods in the county with trees, plants, and green-industry training.

Not only that, but what makes you think the current, or previous, governor had anything to do with writing the pork-filled stimulus package that congress wouldn't let anybody read?

Your partisan mindset seems to have completely clouded rational thinking.

edit on 22-8-2011 by lernmore because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Gotta hit and run sorry.
There's a point your missing and that's what if it prevented a -5 figure instead. It might of only registered a small % increase but what level would the figures have slumped into the negative without it.
You're talking an increase in jobs so we can presume there's an industry employing people to begin with so jobs are there already. In pure tems a stimulus economy is also to maintain levels of employment.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by sgreco
So, yes, the funds were very likely misused. By a republican. end of story.

I feel like that comment should have been appended with this:

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Yeah...not a good turnaround.

Sadly, it still doesn't compare to record corporate profits while continuing to outsource American jobs.

Have a ratio for that one?

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Completely unbelievable.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176

Sadly, it still doesn't compare to record corporate profits while continuing to outsource American jobs.

Is "less" considered a number?

I swear I'd look it up for you, but I've never tried valium.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176

You're right, it doesn't. These were wasted tax payer dollars, not corporate money. I can quickly and easily stop contributing to, say, Walmart by not purchasing at Walmart and not buying "Sam's Choice" branded items. All Americans can do the same, thus making a difference. Taxes... we're boned my friend. No a whole heck of a lot we can do to comparison shop in that realm unless we stop bringing in an income entirely or think of a Ruby Ridge style confrontation with the feds is a winnable proposition.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

These were wasted tax payer dollars, not corporate money.

Depends how you look at it burdmann.

When a corporation outsources a job, it also is wasting what would have been taxpayer money....as those people who would have been employed would have been paying taxes instead of standing in the unemployment line collecting taxpayer money instead of paying in.

I can quickly and easily stop contributing to, say, Walmart by not purchasing at Walmart and not buying "Sam's Choice" branded items. All Americans can do the same, thus making a difference

I wish it would happen, but it's not. That's why i am for raising tariffs on imports (except for food)....or as I would really like to call it....a national sales tax on non american made products. We need MADE IN THE USA again.

You want to buy an imported item? Consider it a luxury and pay the tax for not supporting American jobs and workers/wages.

Yes, it's a tax...we all hate taxes. In fact, this will increase the costs of most everything....THAT WE DON'T REALLY NEED.

But as a result, it would create instant job demand. Revenue would come pouring for the government, and at the same we would be promoting American made products.....people wouldn't be wasting so much of their money on S they don't need. Eventually, businesses will pop up here, knowing it's cheaper to produce products here than import it and pay the tariffs.

Really, we fix our trade policies, other things will start to fix themselves.

We need to be PRO AMERICA...right now we are not.... we are in destruction mode.

...and now I will stop my rambling...

edit on 22-8-2011 by David9176 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join