It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dying Man’s Husband To Be Deported

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Seven years ago in Massachusetts, Bradford Wells married his long-time partner, Anthony John Makk. They have now been together for 19 years. Sometime this week — by Thursday at the latest — Anthony John Makk will be forcibly removed from the country. He is Australian, and the government has denied him permanent residency. Which it can do, because the federal government doesn't recognize same-sex marriage.

The Obama administration publicly announced Monday that it has denied immigration rights to Bradford Wells and Anthony John Makk -- a gay couple in San Francisco that has been married for seven years -- and ordered the deportation of Makk to his native Australia, according to SFGate. Makk applied for permanent residency as a spouse of a U.S. citizen when his visa expired, but he was denied, as his same-sex marriage is not federally recognized.

I'm pretty disgusted by this. The two have been in a relationship for 19 years. The man is terminally ill, and deporting him robs him of his care giver. The other thing that makes me see red is that Obama will not be deporting people in order to court the Hispanic vote.

Gay people should be afforded the same rights as the rest of us. I don't there would have been ANY issue if this had been a straight couple.

What do you guys think? Should he be deported?

Link 1

Link 2

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
This is horrible.

19 years says it all to me.

Thanks for posting this, i'll be calling their local congressmen to show my support.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by dannotz

Thanks I hope that you and others do. 19 years really does say it all. I think they may just be in a committed relationship at this point.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

The problem is at least for these two is that they're the wrong color and from the wrong country. Now if they were mexicans, then I could see obama getting all worked up over the ones deportation.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Chance321

Yeah its pretty embarrassing the admin is letting every Mexican stay in the country regardless of how long they've been here and then this guy, following all the rules and having been here so long can't manage to get citizenship. Maybe some nice ATS woman could marry him and help out.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Yet another example of obvious inequality towards people who are different.

Sadly, so many in our country will see this as ok. So many just don't care if people who aren't themselves don't get fair treatment. And that's why this manages to keep on happening.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I am against the recognition of gay marriage, but I would support same-sex unions having the same rights which would allow them to get the same immigration privileges.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

That is so sad. I just don’t get it... They are not criminals; they are a married couple and deserve the same rights as everyone else.

I am sure that this thread will either be ignored, by most, or turn into a gay bashing thread, it’s so sad, homophobia often seems to be the most widely excepted form of discrimination in my opinion.

I hope that common sense and decency shines through and that Bradford has a dignified end to his life with his husband by his side.

For those who wish to judge this couple and pour scorn on them... you have no right!! "Judge Not Lest Ye Be Judged"

Here we have a very ill man in his final days and he simply want to spend the remainder of his time with his loved ones. Is that so hard to except?

Peace

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
.... he should NOT be deported. hopefully someone steps in at the last minute and grants him citizenship based on compassionate means. (or however that is worded). the one thing I do want to say is; the one guy dealing with advanced HIV / AIDS does NOT need this stress. stress wreaks havoc on a persons immune system. sometimes as a country we act in the most absurd ways (hello Republican evangelicals). grant him citizenship and / or immunity for God's sake and let them live their life in peace. it's common sense for anyone with a heart and a brain.
edit on 21-8-2011 by LooksLikeWeMadeIt because: added

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

Well I certainly hope this thread doesn't turn to gay bashing. If you dislike gay people, that's fine. I just can't understand how anyone would feel like this is a gay issue. It's a human decency issue.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I don't see the issue. The man is not a legal citizen, because same-sex is not legally recognized, as per this country's laws. I think any issue one could possibly garnish from this, is the fact that Obama would be enforcing this upon an Australian man, rather than a Mexican, to garnish votes.

Let's think of it this way, if the man was allowed to stay, sure, that would be all peaches and cream, except it would be against the law, which, unless is changed, does not recognize same-sex marriage.

Do you people even know what Law is? or do you just like to complain?

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
He shouldn't be deported - but Obama's Aunt should have been.

IMHO, of course.

edit on 21-8-2011 by LadyS because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Lionhearte

Considering how long the man has been in the country I believe he should qualify for citizenship, though I agree not through marriage. Other people have become citizens without marrying. Why can't this guy.

Also, I am complaining because I think the law is unjust. That's kind of the whole point of the thread.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Law is the law, He's illegal, he needs to be deported, its sad but thats the law....why didnt in his 19 years here try to become legal?
edit on 8/21/2011 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   

A friendly reminder...

That intolerance towards any group will not be condoned. Further posts along this vein will result in both a post removal and temporary suspension of posting privileges. Consider this fair warning.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
This really got to me for some reason. I was thinking, what if they tried to do this to my wife? Well the only answer I have is fight this to the death, or go on the run together if you can't fight it. All I know is, there is no way someone could separate me from my wife EVER! This is where law is truly wrong, and matters of the heart are right. This should be protested, and if this guy gets deported, then Obama's aunt should be shipped right back to Kenya where Obama is from....

DEATH TO THOSE WHO WOULD STOP TRUE LOVE FROM SHOWING!

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

Here's the thing, this argument holds water only if it's applied evenly, to all. Since we know that it isn't applied evenly and without bias, the argument does not stand on its own. To do so, the US must deport all those legal and ILLEGAL living in the US when they are found, or when their documents expire. How's that working so far? Especially in SanFran? A safe-haven city, right?

edit on 21-8-2011 by LadyS because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join