It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solar Flare Activity Prompting NASA to Convene a News Briefing Thursday in Washington

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Solar Flare Activity Prompting NASA to Convene a News Briefing Thursday in Washington

Increasing solar activity and the threat that coronal mass ejections (CME) pose to Earth has prompted NASA to convene a news briefing at its Headquarter building in Washington on Thursday afternoon.

Thursday’s briefing has been arranged, space agency officials say, in light of new information coming from NASA’s Solar Terrestrial Relations Observatory (STEREO), spacecraft and other NASA probes. The briefing will feature new details about the structure of solar storms and the impact they have on Earth.

This shall be interesting... or will it all be like all NASA conferences... a disappointment? Probably.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
If it was something that they were REALLY concerned with, they wouldn't be scheduling a meeting a day or so away.

They wouldn't "schedule" it. They'd just do it!

My opinion
. Still nice find!

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Thanks for the heads-up!

The Sun is gonna get us this time! Get your B.O.B's ready! The grids are going to get fried and we'll be living in ruthless times. It will take 10 years to restore electricity. The Great Purification (fire from the sun)!

The atmosphere will look as if it's on fire and then... the only light we'll see will come from the
sun, moon, stars, and aurora.

Nah. I'm just fearmongering.
That stuff couldn't reallly happen... could it?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Holy crap, I might have just predicted this

Disclaimer: Not to be taken 110% seriously.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Or, it could be a meeting pertaining to another matter altogether that they are claiming to be about solar flares.

*goes back to trying to remove this face-sucking tinfoil hat*

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
They are trying to pinpoint when this will occur:

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Doing some research and was looking for some pointers. As far as I can tell there is no acurate way of measuring magnetic fields of an object except externally. All our solar models are created by extrapolatioon of the constants we know of in our solar system. This would sugest we can calcuulate Elenin's magnetic field by supposition only.

What happens if this field is greater than expected.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Say goodbye to your cellphone signal for the next few days or more. Solar flare activity. www.myweathertech.com... call now and warn others.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I thought everything was just fine

Lies, lies and right in disguise thank you NASA. Just another cesspool of lies I need to wade through

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
So if the worlds power grids get fried by the Sun....Wouldnt that send most of the Nuclear power plants into meltdown mode? How can we keep all of them cooled? and who would even stick around to maintain the power plants if shtf? If Fukushima is 20x worse than Chernobyl (40% of Europe is still Radioactive because of the Chernobyl accident ) I'd hate to think what would happen to the entire world if we had multiple meltdowns going off at the same time

I think we shot ourselves in the foot.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Ed Dames is wacko. He didn't mention that when he first sold his CD package proclaiming the Kill Shot he predicted by "remote viewing" that the Kill Shot would occur immediately after a Space Shuttle mission was cut short. I guess that can't happen now. We know CMEs happen, and that a big one might cause some serious damage sometime in the future. But, don't get sucked into idiots like Dames.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by ruderalis1
So if the worlds power grids get fried by the Sun....Wouldnt that send most of the Nuclear power plants into meltdown mode? How can we keep all of them cooled? and who would even stick around to maintain the power plants if shtf? If Fukushima is 20x worse than Chernobyl (40% of Europe is still Radioactive because of the Chernobyl accident ) I'd hate to think what would happen to the entire world if we had multiple meltdowns going off at the same time

I think we shot ourselves in the foot.

Hush little boy/girl, you don't know anything. Well that is what they'll tell you. We know nothing, we're the sheeple

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mentorman
Ed Dames is wacko. He didn't mention that when he first sold his CD package proclaiming the Kill Shot he predicted by "remote viewing" that the Kill Shot would occur immediately after a Space Shuttle mission was cut short. I guess that can't happen now. We know CMEs happen, and that a big one might cause some serious damage sometime in the future. But, don't get sucked into idiots like Dames.

The shuttle need not be American.

In fact, Dames does not see any Americans in space after 2013. It is something that disturbs him.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
WTF, my cellphone is acting up NOW. I cannot get any signal and neither can anyone else in the house here and we have different phone companies, WTF. I wonder when the computer internet is NEXT.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightAssassin

Holy crap, I might have just predicted this

Disclaimer: Not to be taken 110% seriously.

Well Cowboys and Aliens came out July 29th here in California. So your date doesn't work for us this thursday.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by cloaked4u

That article was submitted on the 8th of August which coincides with the three solar storms that have already passed us by. I believe the largest was a X6.9 class flare. I am just speculating but I think this meeting is to review data to see how far off they were with their prediction of the sun going into hybernation as far as sun spots go.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   

I don't buy the solar death storm scenarios being played out on the public. The sun has been wobbling in a minimalistic state for a while now and most indications is that these latest flares are no more than hiccups.

Of course, now that so many of us have smart meters and we are kept in a near-state of panic, all someone would have to do is to pull the plug on us, blame the sun and declare a state of emergency.

With no power, we couldn't talk about it on the web, watch news on TV or even use texting once the cell tower batteries are drained. We would be at the mercy of whatever information we were fed and whatever authority that was hung over us.

If there was ever a time when we were ripe for this kind of thing... now might be it.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Stereo has allowed them to predict the CMEs impact and effects more precisely I would guess they want to talk about how with the proper funding NASA can be very useful

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Zippidee

I am just speculating but I think this meeting is to review data to see how far off they were with their prediction of the sun going into hybernation as far as sun spots go.

It depends on who you talk to. I have heard the panic and fear scenarios and the one that says these latest flares are no more than passing aberrations on the docile trend.

If the nation or world is tossed into the dark, was it the sun or a reason to cut our connections from the web and the world? Martial law?

Don't buy the first pound of fish you see in the market. That's the one they want to sell the quickest.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by AstroBuzz

Well a powerful enough solar flare would fry most electronics, which in this day and age could be very destructive. Let's just hope none of these flares will be shot at us.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join