It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solar Flare Activity Prompting NASA to Convene a News Briefing Thursday in Washington

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Actually, the third flare we got was much larger and thus, much faster than the first two and overtook them both. That is why there was a bit more concern about the proton levels. Now, although there is always the risk of strong solar flares, a truly BIG one would have to be much larger than the one we just experienced. Since 1978, we have been witness to at least 17 solar flares that were X12 to X28+. This last one was small in comparison. No, they were not all "direct hits", but even a glancing blow from an X28 could cause problems. I think NASA may be concerned about getting prepared for our near future when the current solar cycle peaks in 2013. Could we be in for a "super flare" like the one we had in 1859?? Perhaps.

Here are the Top Solar Flares since 1978.

www.solarham.com...

The Solar Storm of 1859 or The Carrington Event

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 17-8-2011 by Tasty Canadian because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by cloaked4u

Your cell phone has nothing to do with satellites. It uses line of sight transmissions of microwaves between cell towers (that's why they're called cell phones).

Solar flares affect only the outer reaches of the atmosphere (the ionosphere). Because long range radio communications are affected by the conditions in the ionosphere they, and satellites communications, can be affected. Your cell phone is not affected by solar activity. Blame your carrier, not the Sun.

CMEs (not solar flares) cause disruptions of the Earth's magnetic field. This type of activity doesn't affect cell phones either. It does not have any effect on electronic devices though very powerful geomagnetic storms can affect powerlines, pipelines, any long conductors.

edit on 8/17/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Hmmm.. this subject seems to come up alot these days. I wonder is the postulated false flag alien attack will be scaled back to a fake CME. Not psychic or anything that I know, but a few weeks back I had a vivid dream that's had me thinking a bit. In the dream, my mom and I witnesses two starlike lights move accross the sky late dusk, which stopped near center, and all of a sudden there were bright orange and purple auroras with fragments of faint gridlike patterns here and there. (oh wait, just before that there was real bad financial news on the tv) We thought we were getting alien attacked, and hugged and cried. The power came back overnight, and only some cars and equipment were rendered inoperable. The news said it was a "Solar flare." We knew it was mandmade, because we had seen it. In my dream, the interwebs speculated it was really a covered-up alien attack. But when the news started saying that various gov'ts etc were coming to an unprecedented agreement to scale the clock back on all trading to closing the day before the event, it was obviously a related false flag event.

Then recently, I'm watching this show w/Michio Kaku about how an alien invasion would go, and he says one of the first things they would do would be to use electromagnetic pulse weapons to kill our tech, and I got the heebie jeebies.

Not predicting anything here, just sayin'.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by cloaked4u
WTF, my cellphone is acting up NOW. I cannot get any signal and neither can anyone else in the house here and we have different phone companies, WTF. I wonder when the computer internet is NEXT.

My home internet has been out since Sunday afternoon. (which is thru my cell phone provider) But my phones work fine...
edit on 17-8-2011 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ruderalis1

I'd hate to think what would happen to the entire world if we had multiple meltdowns going off at the same time I think we shot ourselves in the foot.

You are 100% correct sir! It really is only a matter of time until a catastrophic event happens and then it will go downhill from there. EVERY reactor WORLDWIDE would need continuous power during the ENTIRE duration of the catastrophic event.
We all know the odds of achieving this would be highly, if not completely, impossible. Now with this dilemma staring you straight in the face, how could you, in good conscious, think it would be a good idea to generate power this way? These guys were nuclear physicists and engineers right? How come the average citizen can see this literally fatal flaw in this technology, but a physicist and or engineer cannot? WTF This very issue is why I chose my username.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Nibiru! The sun will shortly be in it's magnetic field. Elenin could pass closer than predicted and short out stuff. My phone went out, my cable modem does not work. I'm at the friggin' library! For Christ's sake. Most of my stuff is pretty outdated tho', so it could be a coincidence.

Still maintain that Elenin could knock out parts of the power grid, or the sun could do it when affected by Nibiru's magnetic field.

Have to go back and talk to the nice people (a-holes) about my cable modem and service. Take care and have a nice day.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by murch

This thread is about solar flares.
There are many threads about the dreaded killer comet. Maybe you want to be reading and posting there huh?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

How will they get any information to us. Information they want to feed to us? Will they have to resort to writing letters and mailing them? No electricity means no TV or radio, no internet. How do they get their messages to us? Banners streaming behind cessnas in the sky?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by karen61057

Mobilize troops and police forces with loudspeakers locally, drop pamphlets from the air, block major traffic arteries, and other ways focused on population centers where forces have the largest numbers disadvantage. Different tactics would be employed in vast rural areas. You would be most insulated in mountainous out of the way places like norther Idaho, and the desert south west, but I imagine the vast Appalachia could be a place to hide with more flora and fauna to scratch a living from, plus plenty of water.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by karen61057
reply to post by murch

There are many threads about the dreaded killer comet. Maybe you want to be reading and posting there huh?

I'll field that. The increased solar activity was predicted on the Elenin timeline from earlier this year. Still, the solar activity is not extreme. Not yet. Elenin doesn't have a gravitational "lensing" effect, but may have a lensing effect in relation to magnetic waves. Anywhoo, Nibiru, may make the sun "boil over". Solar flares, CMEs, neutrino action. Now that Elenin has entered the inner solar system it does not line up so well with Nibiru, because it's starting to swing around the sun. Not to worry, Nibiru, is getting closer. May be close to 8au from the sun.

(finally bought a cell phone yesterday. When I was activating it at the pay booth at the bodega, with a guy from India, some Hispanic lady came outside and pointed to my truck and started yelling,"My truck! Mi trucka!"
The police showed up, I thought it was like.... Well, I kept on the phone as my truck was pawed over and activated my phone.)

Take care. Have a nice day.

edit on 17-8-2011 by yourmamaknows because: forgot smiley

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Nibiru, is getting closer. May be close to 8au from the sun.

Impossible to be undetected inside the orbit of Saturn. That's just ridiculous.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
This solar flare BULL *SNIP*

Is fear mongering garbage..

Some of the doom and gloomers
are worse then TPTB war drum beaters..

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illustronic

Nibiru, is getting closer. May be close to 8au from the sun.

Impossible to be undetected inside the orbit of Saturn. That's just ridiculous.

The world is ridiculous. Or haven't you noticed. Don't blame me. Take care.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by chericher

Why would aliens invade us? Couln't anything we have be obtained from any number of planets without life on them ? Why would they invade this tiny little rock when there are much larger water and rock planets throughout the universe?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Nucleardoom

Don't the reactors have back up power systems? The only reason for Fukashima disaster is because the tsunami took out the back up power too. Would this affect generators too? I'm clueless on this.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illustronic
reply to post by karen61057

Mobilize troops and police forces with loudspeakers locally, drop pamphlets from the air, block major traffic arteries, and other ways focused on population centers where forces have the largest numbers disadvantage. Different tactics would be employed in vast rural areas. You would be most insulated in mountainous out of the way places like norther Idaho, and the desert south west, but I imagine the vast Appalachia could be a place to hide with more flora and fauna to scratch a living from, plus plenty of water.

Oh good I live about two hundred miles from the Appalachian mountains so I can go there. Unfortunatly I live in Hamton Roads and so am surrounded by military at every quarter so my chances of escape are slim.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmamaknows

Originally posted by karen61057
reply to post by murch

I'll field that. The increased solar activity was predicted on the Elenin timeline from earlier this year. Still, the solar activity is not extreme. Not yet. Elenin doesn't have a gravitational "lensing" effect, but may have a lensing effect in relation to magnetic waves. Anywhoo, Nibiru, may make the sun "boil over". Solar flares, CMEs, neutrino action. Now that Elenin has entered the inner solar system it does not line up so well with Nibiru, because it's starting to swing around the sun. Not to worry, Nibiru, is getting closer. May be close to 8au from the sun.

(finally bought a cell phone yesterday. When I was activating it at the pay booth at the bodega, with a guy from India, some Hispanic lady came outside and pointed to my truck and started yelling,"My truck! Mi trucka!"
The police showed up, I thought it was like.... Well, I kept on the phone as my truck was pawed over and activated my phone.)

Take care. Have a nice day.

edit on 17-8-2011 by yourmamaknows because: forgot smiley
Like I said there are threads about this already. Go there and spread your nonsense. Nibiru in fiction honey. Please take it somewhere else.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Is there any way to be sure that it isn't just propaganda. An excuse to turn the kill switch and blame it on the rain in this instance solar flares? There has been a planned invasion of Libya, and rumors of other countries sometime in Sept. There is a planned Day of Rage Sept 17, no telling what else is in the works.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I'm kind of looking forward to this briefing. I hope the reporters ask relevant questions.

NASA Hosts News Briefing About Tracking Space Weather Events

WASHINGTON -- NASA will host a news briefing at 2 p.m. EDT, Thursday, Aug. 18, to discuss new details about the structure of solar storms and the impact they have on Earth. The new information comes from NASA's Solar Terrestrial Relations Observatory, or STEREO, spacecraft and other NASA probes.

The briefing will take place in NASA Headquarters' James E. Webb Auditorium, located at 300 E St. SW in Washington, and will air live on NASA Television and the agency's website.

The briefing panelists are:
-- Madhulika Guhathakurta, STEREO program scientist, NASA Headquarters
-- Craig DeForest, staff scientist, Southwest Research Institute, Boulder, Colo.
-- David Webb, research physicist, Institute for Scientific Research, Boston College
-- Alysha Reinard, research scientist, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and the University of Colorado, Boulder

Media Advisory: M11-170

Here is a video from the Goddard Space Flight Center explaining Extreme Solar Flares. They mention global transmission problems and WORLDWIDE blackouts as possible extreme scenerios as a result of a direct hit from an X-Class flare.

Here's an update of current solar activity from Skyywatcher88 (funky music included)

edit on 8/17/11 by AstroBuzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by XplanetX

Very interesting Video man.. Obviously no ones sure if this will happen or not but it is certainly interesting.. One thing i like what this guy said was that it will change everybody's priorities, and our priorities will become the same.. I think that we need a big fat smack in the face because everyone is caught up in there own world. It will take a huge type of event to bring humanity together again, because right now we couldn't be any farther from the source.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join