It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solar Flare Activity Prompting NASA to Convene a News Briefing Thursday in Washington

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zippidee
reply to post by cloaked4u

That article was submitted on the 8th of August which coincides with the three solar storms that have already passed us by. I believe the largest was a X6.9 class flare. I am just speculating but I think this meeting is to review data to see how far off they were with their prediction of the sun going into hybernation as far as sun spots go.

The article on aug. 8 the first of the three already passed, yes. RE-read the article ,it says, sencond passing this weekend which would be the 12,13 and 14 of aug. 2011. OK, passed. It ALSO talks about the third, which is NOW, or perhaps a day or two from now. RE- read the article, check dates.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nobama
reply to post by AstroBuzz

Well a powerful enough solar flare would fry most electronics, which in this day and age could be very destructive. Let's just hope none of these flares will be shot at us.

How would you know the difference between a solar flare and having your plug pulled on purpose?

How would you go about finding the truth when the web and TV and phone lines are all gone? You would believe what you were told to believe and do what you were told to do... or that soldier might cap your butt for violating martial law...

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
It is about time! If they do not make contingencies for a possible grid interruption, people are going to have to blame them "IF" this happens in the next Sun phase, they are just covering their perverbial fannies.

Humanity has such possibilities and potentials, any step closer to taking responsibility for our solar system is a positive one imo.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by cloaked4u
Say goodbye to your cellphone signal for the next few days or more. Solar flare activity. www.myweathertech.com... call now and warn others.

read the article carefully and note dates, please.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by SunnyDee

Well dang it.

All the adverts here in Aussieland say Aug 18th. Out the window then.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

well if electronics were indeed fried by a solar flare, it wouldn't be suppressed....people would know why it happened, and the government surely wouldn't hustle civilians into camps over it.

EDIT: misread your statement, and agree that if indeed solar flares were a coverup for pulling the plug on us, we wouldn't have no way of knowing, but wouldn't they just round us up and keep the power on?
edit on 17-8-2011 by Nobama because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by cloaked4u
Say goodbye to your cellphone signal for the next few days or more. Solar flare activity. www.myweathertech.com... call now and warn others.

Perfect . . . I hope the whole damn grid goes with it . . . I've got my BOB (bottles of beer) and the boat's gassed up . . .

WOOOOT WOOOOOT.

there's a silver lining to everything!!!!!

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nobama
reply to post by redoubt

well if electronics were indeed fried by a solar flare, it wouldn't be suppressed....people would know why it happened, and the government surely wouldn't hustle civilians into camps over it.

Oh... I see. Right. Just a little matter of trust. My government would never suppress information or mislead or obfuscate...

My bad, for sure.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   

From what I read from news agency at the time of the three flares was; That a series of flares had taken place on two different days and that the the third flare (X6.9) would overtake the first two because of its size and speed. If the article was submitted on the 8th of August wouldn't they be referring to the 12th thru the 14th as "the weekend?
I'm not trying to slam your post, can you help me with where the article refers to the 20th thru the 22nd of August. I read it but don't see it. Also, I have heard of no earth directed solar flares erupting in the past couple of days but I could be wrong. Am I missing something?
edit on 17-8-2011 by Zippidee because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Zippidee

WASHINGTON -- NASA will host a news briefing at 2 p.m. EDT, Thursday, Aug. 18, to discuss new details about the structure of solar storms and the impact they have on Earth. The new information comes from NASA's Solar Terrestrial Relations Observatory, or STEREO, spacecraft and other NASA probes.

The briefing will take place in NASA Headquarters' James E. Webb Auditorium, located at 300 E St. SW in Washington, and will air live on NASA Television and the agency's website.

The briefing panelists are:

-- Madhulika Guhathakurta, STEREO program scientist, NASA Headquarters
-- Craig DeForest, staff scientist, Southwest Research Institute, Boulder, Colo.
-- David Webb, research physicist, Institute for Scientific Research, Boston College
-- Alysha Reinard, research scientist, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and the University of Colorado, Boulder

Reporters unable to attend may ask questions from participating NASA centers or by telephone. To participate by phone, reporters must contact Steve Cole at 202-358-0918 or [email protected] by 11 a.m. on Thursday.

STEREO is part of NASA's Solar Terrestrial Probes Program in the agency's Science Mission Directorate in Washington. The program seeks to understand the fundamental physical processes of the space environment from the sun to Earth and other planets.

Link

I believe you sir may have misread.
edit on 17-8-2011 by LightAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   

From what I read from news agency at the time of the three flares was; That a series of flares had taken place on two different days and that the the third flare (X6.9) would overtake the first two because of its size and speed. If the article was submitted on the 8th of August wouldn't they be referring to the 12th thru the 14th as "the weekend?
I'm not trying to slam your post, can you help me with where the article refers to the 20th thru the 22nd of August. I read it but don't see it. Also, I have heard of no earth directed solar flares erupting in the past couple of days but I could be wrong. Am I missing something?
edit on 17-8-2011 by Zippidee because: (no reason given)

I heard nothing of the third overtaking the second, thus i made a conclusion of the third would hit us about now this wed. 17 aug. 2011. Where did you get the info that the third overtook the second?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by LightAssassin

Not the post I was referring to
2nd

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   

That was what made the first so strong. On its own, the first was mild...it was the combination of the third that made the first significant.

SpaceWeather.com reports it will “sweep up” the two prior CMEs and reach Earth around 9:55 a.m. EDT plus or minus seven hours.

Link< br />
edit on 17-8-2011 by CLPrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   

reply to post by LightAssassin

Not the post I was referring to
2nd

I second that motion. He/she was referring to what i posted as a link.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

I don't understand why the article i posted did not say that info in the first place.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Hard to say. Unless the third slowed down suddenly and I didn't hear about it.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Has there been any other activities lately from the sun, because my cellphone and others here are not working right now. Can this effects of the sun cause certain people in a certain area to be affected only and how does that work anyways? Lets say, for example effecting only peoples in this city.
Is that possible?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by ctdannyd

Keep in mind you have to reserve a meeting room, notify all the participants, allow for travel time as the NASA officials are likely located all across the country, dont forget outsiders who need to be privy to the information.

You cant just snap your fingers and have things magically happen, things take time. I grant you, if it were a truly serious situation or something posed a serious threat to earth, the meeting would definately be held immediately via tele- and video- confrences, etc.

Almost definately just another mundane meeting covering typical topics and updating, you know...

ETA: Why are we all talking about the 3 solar flares from 2 weeks ago? They have come and are long gone. We havent seen any solar flares for the past week or so...

edit on 17-8-2011 by IntegratedInstigator because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   

It looks as if the first passed earth on its own and the two others converged as they glanced the earth. Here is a link that states that the earth was being hit by the last two. I am still looking for the original site that brought to my attention of the 3rd and biggest overtaking the 2nd. I thought it was going to overtake the other two but I was wrong. It was just fast enough to merge with the 2nd as it glanced the earth.
www.popsci.com...

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

Thank you, my leg work was proving fruitless
2nd

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join