It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dutch PlantLab Revolutionizes Farming: No Sunlight, No Windows, Less Water, Better Food

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by HenryTwoTimes
I got some friends in California, I wonder if this would work on what they grow.

Not only that but they probably already have the right lights and hydroponics set up as well.

Who knew all this time your good friends were actually Scientists in their Plant Labs.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Just wanted to say thanks everyone for all the posts, and the questions on the past couple of pages can be found addressed earlier in the thread. I hope that this technology can benefit our food supply endeavors, and contribute to year round growing. I hope it may become practical for personal use as well one day.

Peace,
spec

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
its funny that this technology actually was created by people in there closets and basements so they could stay out of legal trouble if u know what i mean. its great to see it going mainstream. i wonder if they are able to grow all types of plants under these conditions cause i always found that certain plants actually need that heat and water loss to produce good tasting food. mainly strawberries and tomatoes. and for the people wondering how hot it would be in there you would be surprised to find that its probly quite cool. those leds produce almost no heat and im sure they are using the hvac system to help recycle the water aswell. overall i doubt it costs anymore to cool then a normal office building and i wouldnt be surprised if its actually less since they dont have so many heat producing elements inside, ie computers, inefficient lighting, lots of human bodies. i remember a post a while aback where they were producing fish, vegetables, and compost on 3 acres and it seems like they could combine there 2 methods to produce an even better solution.
edit on 15-8-2011 by TheScale because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by CarlitosAmsel

i get the toothpaste joke lol but i really dont know why these veggies wouldnt be healthy if the system that grows them works and the TPTB saw that im sure that the OSB (OHH $HAT Bunkers) would be full of healthy good fer ya low light veggies. to add on i was up really late when i made the first post but was in full Thinking capacity lol. plus on another note what if they have the turd burger technology involved too huh? Ew but still it could be happening

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Now that's Revolutionize great thread OP Star and Flag a little break from the gloom

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Love it. I was thinking about hydroponics indoors myself and knew it saved water but ten times more efficient is awesome. The lighting i have thought of but using sunlight with some sort of fibre optics to transfer sunlight into useable light for photsynthises but this could be way better if the power requirements are low enough. The most important things for the survival of our species is food and clean water production and i really am tired of this big business only intreasted in making big monies and not in creating a sustainable future. Leave it to the dutch to be able to see into the future and know there will be big profits in food production with one tenth the water. I hope someday we can build a world with food and shelter for all, with a reasonable environment & workday! There are so many people in the world that need so little to be happy but are sacrificed so some affluent person can have a big house, half a dozen vacation homes, yacht, stable, etc etc!

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by HenryTwoTimes
I got some friends in California, I wonder if this would work on what they grow.

Of course it will work

Nice find and SnF, however, this is nothing new...not one bit. I live in California and we grow "all" kinds of crops this way and have been doing so for decades. It's hydro farming on a very large scale. It may be humid depending on what's being grown. Mechanical humidity controllers or the new digital ones control humidity along with plenty of air flow.

I've been trying to get people into this for quite sometime now. It's actually very fun and you learn alot trying to re-create Mother Nature indoors. The only new thing the Dutch are doing is using those weird LED lights. They are efficient however, High Pressure Sodiums mixed with Metal Halide lights work better, they just use up a hell of a lot of power.....loads of power. I just went to a hydro convention down in Long Beach last year and they had these LED's there, personally, I don't care for them. I do understand that you can use more lights and pay less on electricity than with the HID's.

This is actually a very efficient way to urban farm or just plain ol' indoor/hydrofarm, especially if it's put together with aqua farming. Many different ways to grow your own food indoors.

Good Post

edit on 8/15/11 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by James1982

ok it would be sensible in the desert, everywhere else its very wasteful energy wise.

what would make alot more sense, and is something that has been in the pipes for a long time is agriculture subsidy reform, if food wasnt so expensive there, none of this would be necessary in the first place.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
What can I say? Leave it to the dutch.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
This definitely "is the future" of farming. It's even more important in light of the changing environment we live in -- it's going to be hard for "outdoor farms" to raise crops if Nighttime temperatures raise too much (most crops we eat actually NEED cool nights to convert carbohydrates).

I hope there are industries in the USA doing this -- and we don't trade Hydroponics farming for the practices of Monsanto, ADM and Cargill -- who have been trying to rule the world with their patented seed dependent farming, toxic fertilizer and other, chemical intensive practices.

Creating perfect plant environments, also means you don't need to put in "frog genes" or create franken-foods just to allow them to survive your pesticides -- which should be healthier for humans.

Soy, Corn, Wheat and many other "natural foods" we take for granted, are so gene manipulated now that they are almost indigestible. I know so many people who are Cylliacs now and cannot eat Wheat any longer.

>> So, this story bodes well -- at least on the surface. And hopefully, the Dutch government doesn't let corporations that cut corners succeed -- so maybe they aren't evil.

.... sometimes I can't believe how cynical I've gotten -- but it's a natural process of keeping your eyes open.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
"dutch" as...Holland?? you mean the same people that introduced us to a GM foods?
I just can't wait until mother earth will wipe out all of those who mess with the nature. CAN"T WAIT!!!

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

I have to apologize to you Speculative, I had ignored your OP twice while perusing the "recent posts" section lately simply because I thought the title was so outrageous that it would be in the hoax bin in no time. But then I saw (just now) all of your stars and flags and had to see what the fuss was about (kudos to the ATS system!).

EXCELLENT find!! I am blown away, and have just begun reading the OP.

S&F -- bump

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   

I know of a way they can start out and make money right away. They can start out by making their first cash crop - Mary Jane. If the Govt would legalize it, let them build these facilities to grow it and sell it, they would pay for themselves in 5 years instead of 50, then they could transistion to other crops down the road, or even as needed to support the yearly crops comprimised by weather or wildlife. Seriously, they could start out by building one in each state, and go from there. Each one would pay for itself. If this doesn't happen then it's obvious who may jump on this tech - the big tobacco companies. It could conceivably be profitable for them to grow tobacco this way. And with an already established market of 50 million smokers, whallah, instant moneymaker!!

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Great thread mate, thanks.

In a similar vein to what i was saying in a thread i made a while ago. You might be interested in it, as it has a similar theme to your thread here.

www.abovetopsecret.com...&addstar=1&on=11107906#pid11107906

Cheers for an interesting read.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by weknowall

MJ is already the US BIGGEST cash crop, more than corn, wheat, fruit...you name it...it's such a shame that the US people cannot benefit from some of the cash for the country that would be generated, as well as it's excellent therapeutic benefits.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   
u mean mexican mushrooms for 15 euro order over internet-yes dutch can do this-dutch a gerat-i live only 80km away from the dutch-but they have a monarchy that was not so good

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
From what I understand some plants have different lighting needs for their vegetative growth and the actual flowering, And I suspect that while these LEDs may be very good for the veg growth stage for Lettuces etc , I don't think they would cut it compared to a HPS in the flowering stage.

Although I would like to be proven wrong.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Very impressive, probably the future in solving famine in all countries. Cheers for the post!

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ken10

Ken10 I have addressed this issue here www.abovetopsecret.com...
2010 launched 37% efficient red leds which are are trouncing HPS for red spectrum and without the infrared radiation that causes stress. They sip power like an ant eater! They also are incredible low light/navigation light sources amongst many other applications.
edit on 17/8/11 by GhostR1der because: restructure

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

Each panel puts out around 12k or so

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join