It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fox News Viewers Threaten Atheists Over 9/11 Cross Lawsuit

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by fooks
it fell out of the tower, standing upright.

i'm sure you've seen many pics of it.

And then this cross bar was moved to St. Peters Catholic church.

In October 2006 the cross was moved to St. Peter’s, New York’s oldest Catholic Church, just a block from ground zero. There it has stood, as a symbol of hope and an icon of a nation of people willing to stand up to the face of evil – until this past Saturday. stpeter9-11cross.blogspot.com...

To those saying it doesn't represent Christianity - - Uh - yes it does.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

funny how the cross was there tho and not a walking fish.

an act of god maybe or a coincidence?

either way, no one made it. so they don't have a lawsuit.

An "act of god"? This you say to Atheists?

It matters a great deal on how it is displayed. If it is displayed standing straight up as a Christian cross - - yes there could be grounds for a lawsuit.

Perhaps it should be displayed at an angle in a pile of debris - - with only part of it sticking out - - - just as it looked when it was found. That would be a natural setting.

Christians are trying to give relevance to it. That makes it a Christian symbol.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010
The atom This one made people think of nukes so it didn't go over too good.

The open atom is the symbol used on the site of American Atheists. They hold the trademark - which is why it is not more widely used. It represents science.

It is also the official symbol of the US Government for Atheist.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh

Originally posted by Annee

. . .

Again - - Atheist only means "lack of a belief in a god/deity".

. . .

I don't believe in the existence of Santa Clause =

I believe there is no Santa Clause in existence

or

I believe in the non-existence of Santa Clause

What does lack of belief in Santa Clause have to do with you believing in an invisible omnipotent being?

I lack belief in both.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

and my post is still ignored. Either I'm an idiot and made a horrible post or nobody cares enough to take on the argument.

If I'm wrong in what I think tell me. It seems you believe I am (or views similar to mine) so let's go. Come on.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   

it fell out of the tower, standing upright.

i'm sure you've seen many pics of it.

And then this cross bar was moved to St. Peters Catholic church.

In October 2006 the cross was moved to St. Peter’s, New York’s oldest Catholic Church, just a block from ground zero. There it has stood, as a symbol of hope and an icon of a nation of people willing to stand up to the face of evil – until this past Saturday. stpeter9-11cross.blogspot.com...

To those saying it doesn't represent Christianity - - Uh - yes it does.

and? so what, it's only a cross bar, right?

i think you guys are a day late and a dollar short on this.

it is a symbol of respect for all the dead.

you people want to pave it over and forget about it, right or put up a giant atom, a fish with feet?

in some high priced material, designed by the most expensive atheist sculptor? there ya go!

what would be fitting? covering it in feces and standing it in urine?

it's only a cross bar to atheists and it means NOTHING to them. it means something to a lot of other people.

maybe you guys can brainstorm some cool symbol for yourselves someday and be more united under an icon

others can insult.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by drew1749
reply to post by Annee

and my post is still ignored. Either I'm an idiot and made a horrible post or nobody cares enough to take on the argument.

If I'm wrong in what I think tell me. It seems you believe I am (or views similar to mine) so let's go. Come on.

I am not ignoring you - - and others have responded to you. I'm sorry if you are not getting the answers you want.

You have stated you are Christian. What I see in your posts is trying to twist it to make it fit.

I was raised Christian - - and only recently understood - - I do not believe any of it.

You talk about Respect. Respect would be recognizing all faiths and non-believers that died that day. It should be a co-op memorial. But it isn't.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   

you people want to pave it over and forget about it, right or put up a giant atom, a fish with feet?

in some high priced material, designed by the most expensive atheist sculptor? there ya go!

what would be fitting? covering it in feces and standing it in urine?

it's only a cross bar to atheists and it means NOTHING to them. it means something to a lot of other people.

maybe you guys can brainstorm some cool symbol for yourselves someday and be more united under an icon

others can insult.

Where in my posts did I stoop to your level of childish insults. Nice way to represent Christians.

Did I use emotion or drama?

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Respect is putting symbols of the other faiths at the site so people can pay respect themselves. It isn't the governments job to do things for us. I think we ourselves can put a star of david or a moon (whats the musslim symbol actually called?) or the budda. You understand?

Also yes I am a Christian, however unlike some of the less polite Christians online I actively try to respect other beliefs. I'm not very good about it. (See some of my threads
) but I try.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Jazzyguy

Ah, the nuts always spill out of the can now and then...fox viewers says it all. It'll blow over.

CJ

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

where are the insults?

the cross is the cheapest thing about the whole project.

made out of the wreckage by the hand of god, not the hand of man like other symbols will be.

no really, very humble in it's simplicity.

i got an anthem song for you guys too.

deteriorata by national lampoon

www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by drew1749
reply to post by Annee

Respect is putting symbols of the other faiths at the site so people can pay respect themselves. It isn't the governments job to do things for us. I think we ourselves can put a star of david or a moon (whats the musslim symbol actually called?) or the budda. You understand?

Also yes I am a Christian, however unlike some of the less polite Christians online I actively try to respect other beliefs. I'm not very good about it. (See some of my threads
) but I try.

Yes - - I do appreciate your approach and polite manner. My style is directness and logic in as few words as possible to make a point. I do my best to avoid drama/emotions and personal attacks (I am human though
)

It is a symbol of Christianity. It was moved to a Catholic church and put on display. There is no dismissing it is meant to represent Christianity. None.

No way am I accepting a cross is a universal symbol for non-Christian faiths. No more then you would accept me telling you - - you had to accept the Atheist open atom symbol to represent Christians.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer

lif the other faiths want a symbol, let them put one up.

Sure. Let's litter the area with religious tchotchkes until everyone recognizes how tacky and petty it looks to plant the flag of your god on every nationally revered site you can.

I truly pitty you. I can understand not believing in a God, or not being religious, I can understand not liking religion in general.

I cannot understand the deepseeded hatred you represent. I'll take religious fanaticism over your brand of hatred anyday.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Sorry... that's not a religious symbol, or a symbol representing anyone except one group of Atheist. There is no universal, internationally accepted sign of Atheism. Putting that symbol at the WTC would be putting a trademarked symbol there with religious symbols.

It's like saying Pepsi should be allowed to have there as well.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

No way am I accepting a cross is a universal symbol for non-Christian faiths. No more then you would accept me telling you - - you had to accept the Atheist open atom symbol to represent Christians.

we could readily accept that if it was done in good faith for the departed.

oh wait...

the problem some of you people have is blatant suppression of religion, not a disinterest or civil liberties

and philosophically, atheists can't have any symbol to rally around because that will put them in the same category as what they are trying to fight against,

organized religions.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh

. . .

Again - - Atheist only means "lack of a belief in a god/deity".

. . .

I believe there is no Santa Clause in existence

or

I believe in the non-existence of Santa Clause

What does lack of belief in Santa Clause have to do with you believing in an invisible omnipotent being?

I lack belief in both.

I am taking all deities out of the equation to take the emotionally charged arguments away, in an effort to understand what you are trying to say.

So . . . does

--I believe there is no Santa Clause in existence

or

--I believe in the non-existence of Santa Clause

??

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   

It is a symbol of Christianity. It was moved to a Catholic church and put on display. There is no dismissing it is meant to represent Christianity. None.

...a cross is only a symbol of christianity if YOU see it that way - and - if you see it that way, you dont have a right to dictate how others see it... simple...

...i dont see crosses that way... they do not offend me... christians didnt create crosses... they were in use long before christians came along...

...you, annee, cant "get" that because you were raised christian and, even though now you claim to be an atheist, your christian programming is very dominate... no crime in that but it does blur your vision...

...as for the atom symbol denoting atheists - the same applies... personally, i think a symbol for atheist is about as anti-atheist as you can get but thats just me...

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wyn Hawks

...a cross is only a symbol of christianity if YOU see it that way - and - if you see it that way, you dont have a right to dictate how others see it... simple...

...i dont see crosses that way... they do not offend me... christians didnt create crosses... they were in use long before christians came along...

...you, annee, cant "get" that because you were raised christian and, even though now you claim to be an atheist, your christian programming is very dominate... no crime in that but it does blur your vision...

...as for the atom symbol denoting atheists - the same applies... personally, i think a symbol for atheist is about as anti-atheist as you can get but thats just me...

Sweetness Incorporated, you took the words out of my mouth. *(Sweetness Inc. was a local "christian band" that played at my church when growing up - St. Thomas Moore in Centennial CO - St. Thomas Moore was famous btw, for his inquisition skills, if you know what I mean - there was also a bar attached to the church - I swear to God - called The Padre where you could get bombed on a Tues. night while watching local christian entertainment - I miss the late 70's early 80's.

CJ
edit on 11-8-2011 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wyn Hawks

Total denial.

It is not a symbol for any other religion. And it is not a symbol for anything else in this case. To claim it is - - is lying to yourself.

Let's stick a big old Buddha there instead of the cross.

edit on 11-8-2011 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

When you can show me anywhere but some of Jefferson's personal writings and journals where the Separation of Church and State is mentioned or even implied I'd appreciate it. It certainly isn't mentioned or implied in the Constitution. What is covered is the absolute prohibition of the United States Government (Congress to be specific to their thinking) from creating a state religion. That would have been like the Church of England to people like the Founding Fathers, given who the Constitution was written with in mind.

Now how would something like a Cross at ground zero have any connection to the idea of the USG establishing their own version of the Church or England or any other state sponsored faith? Or..the Crosses in the California Desert...or..the crosses placed on the side of the road at accident scenes and police fatalities...or.. Well, you get where I'm coming from.

Freedom OF Religion includes the freedom to PRACTICE or BELIEVE in no religion at all. It does NOT mean freedom FROM religion in ever seeing signs of it, hearing words about it, or someone planting a cross related to it.

Of course, this is all my humble opinion, but I have this hunch I'm not unique in my feelings on this one.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join