It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fox News Viewers Threaten Atheists Over 9/11 Cross Lawsuit

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Reply to post by Annee

And a lack of symbols is unacceptable, is it gives prominence to a certain belief.

It goes both ways.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE GOVERNMENT IT'S A PRIVATE MEMORIAL ON PRIVATE PROPERTY!

The cross in question was attached to a CATHOLIC CHURCH .. it is being donated to the Museum at the 9/11 site because it was made from steel of the buildings and was on the church for over 10 years. (Part of NYC heritage now).

The lawsuit was filed because the Musuem (on private property) was "partly" financed by the Government (who gave a grant to get the program started).

Pure Atheist ignorance.
edit on 8/11/2011 by Rockpuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
By all means...... prove me wrong.

How about I just call you wrong since you failed to even try to show you were right. It is not my job to research YOUR CLAIMS.

If you imply religious symbolism to a non-religion you make it a ... religion. Like Buhdism without the moral guidance.

Not only is that not how religion works, the atom is not religious symbolism. Wrong twice.

I'm not Christian, and you're ignorant. Again, by all means... prove me wrong that at least 95% of all people who died believed in some form of religion.

Nope. You have to prove the crap you write, not me.

If you were not so ignorant you would have read: Atheism deserves to be "offended" because it's not a religion and represented the smallest number of people.

That is really your answer? There is not enough of them? How many do there need to be then? How many are there now?

I hope you all eventually get the irony. You are defending Christians who advocated rape and murder in the name of their religion. You go a step further and make things up to do it as well. Bravo!

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   

And ultimately why do Atheist care? Seriously..

Those that died are dead.

Ultimately why do Christians care?
Seriously. Why should any religion be worried about two beams crossing each other? Is it going to make that god happier? Are the people that did not get into heaven now going to?

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
Reply to post by Annee

And a lack of symbols is unacceptable, is it gives prominence to a certain belief.

It goes both ways.

Which belief does a lack of symbols give prominence to?

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Reply to post by Kitilani

I dunno.

Let's use our super-duper logic to figure out who wants to remove symbols.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   

The lawsuit was filed because the Musuem (on private property) was "partly" financed by the Government (who gave a grant to get the program started).

Pure Atheist ignorance.

You get government funding - - you fall under government law.

Simple.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Sadly, this represents why I am Fearful of Fanatic Christians, Jews, Muslims,, etc etc.

I was trying to explain myself to a co-worker regarding my beliefs about their religion and why it may seem I am hostile to it. I really am not,, just hostile to the Fanatics who seem to run the show over and over again.

These are the kind of people who would watch as a train departed with you on it,,, saying it is the Lord's Will.

Be very afraid people,,, they run this country and world.

it has nothing to do with spirituality,,, just control by religion.

Glad to be a Heretic,,, but guard myself.

again the problem is that more sane,,and tolerant people can be overcome by the Religion card,, to fall in line with the Crazies shown here,,, this is what is scary.
I believe I can see it when I talk religion to co-workers or others,,, you can see they would Hold their Bible high along with the Fanatics if push came to shove.

My boss asked me once,, "If it came to a battle between Muslims and Christians, which side would I be on given I am Pagan and Gay?"

I said,, I guess I would be fighting alone,,, couldn't join either of their armies.

They both scare the BeJezus out of me.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Good ol' hateful religion.

Nice to know some things never change.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
Reply to post by Kitilani

I dunno.

Let's use our super-duper logic to figure out who wants to remove symbols.

You are going to have to use yours.
The Atheists want to add one so who are you talking about?

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Kitilani

How about I just call you wrong since you failed to even try to show you were right. It is not my job to research YOUR CLAIMS.

Generally, common sense prevails.. anyways..
1% were Muslim.
15% were Jewish
Approx 80% Christian (most being Catholic)
majorityrights.com...
islam.about.com...
www.philaahzophy.com...
en.wikipedia.org...

Among items being put in the Museum are a Bible with a piece of steel embedded in it. A Jewish shawl. The Cross was the only thing being objected to. Because it's a "symbol", even if it is also history.

In short.. Progressive Political Correctness gone wild.

Ultimately why do Christians care?

For the exact opposite the reasons I just stated? Just as any real religion would care.. but Atheist believe in nothing, so it shouldn't matter. Removing religious symbolism is a violation of the 1st amendment. Atheism, not being a religion, should not be able to trump other religions just because an extreme minority are "offended".

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   

For the exact opposite the reasons I just stated? Just as any real religion would care.. but Atheist believe in nothing, so it shouldn't matter. Removing religious symbolism is a violation of the 1st amendment. Atheism, not being a religion, should not be able to trump other religions just because an extreme minority are "offended".

I really don't care what is on the inside. Only what is on outside public display.

Again - - Atheist only means "lack of a belief in a god/deity".

Beyond that an Atheist can believe anything else. There are Spiritual Atheists.

Of course there are what is called "hard Atheists" who want real proof.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Pure Atheist ignorance.

You get government funding - - you fall under government law.

Simple.

Cool beans.

Supreme Court (government) has ruled that Atheism is a religion.

So lack of symbology would be representing the lack of a belief.

Or we could go with what the 1st Amendment ACTUALLY says.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.

See there?

Congress did not make any laws, and by letting the people be, they are not prohibiting the free exercise thereof.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Kitilani

Actually, their suit says to represent all, or take them all down.

I can easily agree with representing all. No issue.

My issue is with taking them all down.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I have to chime in on this. This is stupid. For all the liberals out there thinking they're being intellectual for trying to take down a effing cross from the WTC you're stupid. I mean that in the best way I can. Seriously though a symbol of respect is a symbol of respect.

When I'm in a Muslim mosque I'm respectful. When I'm in any place of worship I'm respectful. These are places of worship and mean something to these people. They represent a basic higher power. Regardless of which one it is.

Another example is that I respect the flags of different countries. It's the same concept. This story isn't about putting up other religious symbols it's about a group of idiotic intellectuals (who aren't intellectual at all) who want to get rid of the Christian cross at the WTC.

My whole point is that it doesn't matter which religion is paying respects to the dead. They're still paying respects for the dead.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Perhaps this opinion gets me some hate, but perhaps Atheists would do well to recall what nation they are living in and what majority faith controls it by such a wide margin, the whole discussion is almost moot.

Sure. So be damned civil rights, you will accept religious fanatics exploiting our nation's worst tragedy to pimp out their god.

That is disgusting in every sense.

I don't want to see any harm come to Atheists, but they seem to treat the attacking of religion as a personal sport.

I don't want to see religious imagery at WTC, but the christians seem to impose their beliefs on everyone as a personal sport.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
let's see,

godless fanatics under the guise of civil rights, forcing THEIR beliefs on everyone else,

for their own selfish ends.

no laws are being broken, if the other faiths want a symbol, let them put one up.

the cross is a symbol that means many things.

if i see one along a highway, i can bet someone died there.

i don't think, "hey a christian died there"

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by fooks
lif the other faiths want a symbol, let them put one up.

Sure. Let's litter the area with religious tchotchkes until everyone recognizes how tacky and petty it looks to plant the flag of your god on every nationally revered site you can.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by drew1749
My whole point is that it doesn't matter which religion is paying respects to the dead. They're still paying respects for the dead.

No they are not, nor are their actions deserving of any respect.

Respect is not bowing to the whims of those propagandizing their religion at hot spots. Respect is NOT making everyone look at a cross when they visit the WTC.

Maybe preserving liberty is an "intellectual" thing to you but I'm sorry, it doesn't look like you recognize them let alone how to preserve them.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

Respect is not bowing to the whims of those propagandizing their religion at hot spots. Respect is NOT making everyone look at a cross when they visit the WTC.

......Why is the universal symbol on roads a roadside cross? I think it relates. Should we get rid of all the road side crosses as well? After all it isn't fair to the other religions is it.

Maybe preserving liberty is an "intellectual" thing to you but I'm sorry, it doesn't look like you recognize them let alone how to preserve them.

Ya got me. I'm just a hillbilly who believes in family values and respecting other people. I know it's horrible. All you intellectuals who don't believe in god and hate religion. I can't even understand some of the words you use. Hurrrr

/sarcasm
edit on 8/11/2011 by drew1749 because: (no reason given)

Edit to add: I expect a response Traditional Drummer. Don't leave me hangin'
edit on 8/11/2011 by drew1749 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join