It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fox News Viewers Threaten Atheists Over 9/11 Cross Lawsuit

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wyn Hawks

...you, annee, cant "get" that because you were raised christian and, even though now you claim to be an atheist, your christian programming is very dominate... no crime in that but it does blur your vision...

I am 65 and spent most of my life "looking for god". It is only the last few years I realize I am Atheist.

My gramma was Catholic. My mom was disabled - we went to many faith churches with neighbors. My mom was actually one of the original members of Norma Vincent Peale's first church.

I've experienced many beliefs - - from Buddhist - to Pagan - to Mormon - to Holy Roller - to metaphysical/spiritual - Greek Orthodox - - etc etc.

I've also been in discussion forums for about 20 years - - starting with ICQ.

Don't assume.

There is no question - - even though some want to claim there is - - what that cross is meant to represent - - the Christian faith. None.

The open end atom symbol - - designed and trademarked by the American Atheist group - - does not represent anything else.

edit on 11-8-2011 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I am 65 and spent most of my life "looking for god". It is only the last few years I realize I am Atheist.

Fine. Keep your spiritual failings to yourself and leave the rest of us alone. Just because you failed, doesn't mean you need to hate on other peoples beliefs, or expect that other people should sit in silence while you expect them to bend over backwards so you can walk where you please and not see a cross. I can't even begin to comprehend the mindset it takes for people like you to completely bash other peoples religions just because you're an "Atheist".

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I hope the Christians who so vehemently posted here won't mind a Jewish funeral, with a Star and Crescent grave marker.

If you mark a 'grave' with the symbol of a religion, it should represent the entirety of those who perished.
If you mark only with a cross, you are immediately forgetting the other faiths (or those with no faith).
All markers. Or none.

If you believe that only Christians should be remembered you are doing a disservice to all who died there. Majority has nothing to do with it. We all seem to remember the Jews killed in Nazi concentration camps, but few remember the gypsies, the homosexuals etc. You'd be surprised at the numbers.

Put up a cross if you must (by the way, had they hanged Jesus would you put up a noose?), but also pay some respect to the other beliefs.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Badgered1

When a Family Member of an Atheist comes out and says they are offended then I'm all for creating a special marker "for people of no faith". Other wise keep it to what we know.. Christian Muslim and Jews. The Cross is not being put there for a religious sense, it's being put there for the historical value it has.. Atheist just can't stand the sight of it, though no one else has raised an objection. Like screaming children, it's embarassing.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by Wyn Hawks
...a cross is only a symbol of christianity if YOU see it that way - and - if you see it that way, you dont have a right to dictate how others see it... simple...

Total denial.

It is not a symbol for any other religion. And it is not a symbol for anything else in this case. To claim it is - - is lying to yourself.

Let's stick a big old Buddha there instead of the cross.

edit on 11-8-2011 by Annee because: (no reason given)

stick a buddah in there?

lol, you are showing a side of yourself that is not pretty.

which buddah would be appropriate?

sitting

reclining

happy

standing

serene

smiling

there are lots of buddah's.

who will pay for that? you??

who is paying for the lawsuit? you!

i always thought atheists were like switzerland, neutral.

but they are as rad as anyone, causing heartbreak and money and really bad feelings as much as anyone they supposedly hate.

a disruption on society if you will with a lack of respect.

these are not good atheists, they don't believe in god because they hate god.

which is something i went through many years ago until my eyes were opened again.

i will not bow to any man unless it is an accepted protocol. render unto caesar and all that.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
But my invisible magic sky fairy is better than your invisible magic sky fairy.
History? Oh, come on. Did you ever read any?

Discuss.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   

ya and probably lived more of it than you. lol.

that's the problem wit chu peoples, "invisible sky fairies"

ok, it's that simple, eh?

shallow is a word that comes to mind, one of many, btw.

amusing yes you are.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

Atheist just can't stand the sight of it, though no one else has raised an objection.

...some atheists - not all...

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
What has happened to our great ideals which inspired our forefathers to create a nation where there is freedom of religion and speech.

Why do Christians feel that they own this country? I am not proud to be an American lately, not because I disagree with America, but because too many people are saying Christian = American and American = Cristian... FALSE!!!!

Plenty of Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindu, Shinto, Atheists, and any other religion you can think of have fought and died for our freedom in one of the armed services. Why should only Christian deaths matter.

In fact, I'm getting sick and tired of religion all together. it does nothing but divide us.

But to stay on topic..... SCREW ANYONE who says raping and killing someone who doesn't believe what you believe is right.... SCREW ANYONE again who says that there should be only one religion's monument raised in a place where Americans of all different belief systems died. ESPECIALLY if its with tax dollars from all types of Americans.

and lastly SCREW ANYONE a third time who says you shouldn't believe whatever you want to in AMERICA.

How dare someone say if you don't like Christianity go live in another country. Our diversity is our strength, but it seems one group is hell bent on perverting what it means to be an American.

i think i'm done venting now.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Whatsreal

shintos died for the other side.

but i get your meaning.

don't shove it down your throat, turn around is fair play, right?

let the others put up their whatevers.

make it out of the wreckage like the cross, to be fair!

pay for it yourselves who have the vested interest.

make it all on the same scale for all i care.

stop suppressing what you don't like.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Can't the Christians just forgive the Atheists?

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by fooks
stop suppressing what you don't like.

I think that's funny

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

The cross for its historical value?? Do you have any historical education??

The cross has been the reason for more death and destruction than all the terrorist acts over the last 100 years combined.

Crusades ring a bell....
First Crusade 1095–1099
Crusade of 1101
Norwegian Crusade 1107–1110
Second Crusade 1147–1149
Third Crusade 1187–1192
Fourth Crusade 1202–1204
Albigensian Crusade
Children's Crusade
Fifth Crusade 1217–1221
Sixth Crusade 1228–1229
Seventh Crusade 1248–1254
Eighth Crusade 1270
Ninth Crusade 1271–1272

lets not forget the spanish inquisition ( and no not the musical mel brooks version)

oh, how about the conquistadors

what happened to all the gnostics in the early half of the first millennium of our common era (didn't the pope have them.... erased? )

I believe the French had problems with Roman Catholics and Protestants fighting each other.

The holy roman empire did some conquering

So the historical context behind the cross to people of other religions, or even people who view Christ differently from each other is DEATH and FEAR....

Now before all you bible thumpers attack me with saying the the cross represents faith and love... it doesn't. It was a torture device used to display people who were found "guilty" of one thing or another by the Romans in charge at the time. And the most famous person to die on a cross was a Jew ( i love reminding our christian zealots of that fact ).

And if you really believe Christianity is all about faith and love, then love your brother, love your neighbor and have faith in their inherent goodness. Love them even if they aren't Christians, even if they think the idea of god is a silly fairy tale. THAT WOULD BE ACTING LIKE A REAL PERSON OF FAITH AND LOVE.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   

And now do a one minute google research on the cross prior to Jesus. Christmas that is silly.

CJ

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   
I have a good friend in NYC.

If that cross comes down, another one is going up.

Count on it!

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by ColoradoJens

And now do a one minute google research on the cross prior to Jesus. Christmas that is silly.

CJ

Well the cross originated as a Pagan symbol. I do know that.

And Christ (if there was one) would have been tied to a stake of some sort - - not a cross.

But - - those on here trying to claim this cross doesn't represent Christianity - - are just being ridiculous.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Partygirl
I have a good friend in NYC.

If that cross comes down, another one is going up.

Count on it!

No biggie.

The jails are full of idiots. What's one more.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   
So what if a cross is there? Why the tantrums?

One of the foundations of this country is freedom of speech and religion. Anyone can practice any religion anywhere they damn well please, including Christians. Pouting about a cross in public is ridiculous and forthright childish. Whats next, throwing a fit that a church has a cross on their steeple for the entire town to see?

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

All respect lost in one post- count on it!

CJ

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

they should allow other religions to put their sybols down there to.

So all the fools can be represented.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join