It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fox News Viewers Threaten Atheists Over 9/11 Cross Lawsuit

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrChuck
What do you mean how are atheists a demographic group? They are the group of people in the US that do not believe in a God. Is that not a group of people that share the same beliefs? Can they not be set apart as a group in a population concerning religions? Do you know what demographics mean?

Atheism is not a belief or in any way related as a religion. It is a lack of belief.

They are not a group. In the sense of an organization gathering together or congregating for discussion of something that does not exist.

There is need to organize for political reasons - - - to keep this country secular.

Yes I know what demographic is. And I'm rejecting the implication that Atheists gather together in "tribes".

edit on 22-8-2011 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by drew1749
Ya got me. I'm just a hillbilly who believes in family values and respecting other people.

Respecting other people or just other people that agree with you?

I know it's horrible. All you intellectuals who don't believe in god and hate religion. I can't even understand some of the words you use. Hurrrr

So much for respecting those people. So atheists do not deserve the same respect Christians do. Who else?

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by fooks
reply to post by Annee

funny how the cross was there tho and not a walking fish.

an act of god maybe or a coincidence?

either way, no one made it. so they don't have a lawsuit.

Seeing as how the building was made up of crosses and not walking fish, it sure seems like this Christian faith was designed to think any two things intersecting was a blessing from their god on them. I am still trying to find the part in the bible where anyone mentions a cross should be used to symbolize Christianity. From what I am reading, Jesus is not exactly going to be thrilled to see them everywhere.

If he were executed today in the chair and then came back to visit a thousand years later to see the world littered with symbolic electric chairs I am sure this Jesus would just be oh so flattered.

It is two crossing lines. These are built in structures all the time. The fact that two crossed beams stayed crossed instead of mutating into a walking fish is no more a miracle or a sign from your god than my passing gas.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chance321
Okey, I'm puzzled by something. I get the atheists up set about the "cross" that happened when the towers came down, but my question is this. Will there be someone there with a gun forceing people to look at the cross? If not, I don't see the problem, if you don't want to look at it, don't. Simple.

Someone forced me to help pay for it with my tax dollars. That is enough. If it were helping the poor, most of you would agree that I should not be forced to pay for it. Now that it is something important like a cross, using my tax dollars on it is ok.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh

Originally posted by Annee

. . .

Again - - Atheist only means "lack of a belief in a god/deity".

. . .

I don't believe in the existence of Santa Clause =

I believe there is no Santa Clause in existence

or

I believe in the non-existence of Santa Clause

edit on 8/11/2011 by Lemon.Fresh because: (no reason given)

More like

Who is this Santa Claus you speak of?
Show him to me. Until then I really have no belief one way or the other. Sounds like something you made up.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh

I have the right not to pay for a religious symbol.

And I have a right not to pay for no religious symbol.

It is circular logic that could easily be avoided if everyone would just follow what the Constitution actually says, instead of snipping out sections to use for their agenda.

The cost of putting this cross in is being paid by government tax dollars. That violates separation of church and state.

So it violates a non-Constitutional writing, when removing it, violates the Constitution itself.

edit on 8/11/2011 by Lemon.Fresh because: (no reason given)

Give me one good reason that my tax dollars should go towards this.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Kitilani

then where is the problem?

put something together and go through the right channels and don't be idiots and force us to spend money just to please your belief of non-belief!

atheists are bringing the lawsuit, not christians or did you miss that little fact? why should we spend our money on that?

you people even have a symbol? a live tree would be nice, like a pine or something that doesn't change color.

maybe plant flowers around all the other 200 symbols, i could deal with that.

edit on 22-8-2011 by fooks because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow

I agree that what he said didn't make much sense.. but honestly they shouldn't care.

Who should not care?
Please give me an answer that cannot just be dismissed as your opinion over mine.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
but perhaps Atheists would do well to recall what nation they are living in and what majority faith controls it by such a wide margin, the whole discussion is almost moot.

Perhaps you can kiss both sides of my butt

Thanks

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
This thread is a great example of why the political Atheists need to keep doing what they are doing.

It is a continuous fight to keep this government secular.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   

then where is the problem?

Why are you asking me?

put something together and go through the right channels and don't be idiots and force us to spend money just to please your belief of non-belief!

Who am I trying to force to spend money on anything? I have been pretty clear that I do not want anyone paying for any of this.

atheists are bringing the lawsuit, not christians or did you miss that little fact? why should we spend our money on that?

I asked first why I should spend my money on someone else's religion? Neglecting to answer and turning it around is nothing but a sign that you cannot actually defend your stance on this.

you people even have a symbol?

So you are not even reading the thread or even the article then? Who you calling "you people?" If you mean people that actually read what is going on here before going off half cocked about it, then I am one of those. This question was answered for you in the OP as well as many pages since.

a live tree would be nice, like a pine or something that doesn't change color.

You reading the thread you are so opinionated about and not sounding so ignorant would be even nicer.

maybe plant flowers around all the other 200 symbols, i could deal with that.

edit on 22-8-2011 by fooks because: (no reason given)

Let me know when you actually read up on this and find out exactly what symbol they asked be used to represent them.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Janky Red

turn the other cheek so to speak, how deliciously biblical.

get your own country, wait.. they've all been destroyed! at least the atheists in charge were.

sorry bout that chief!

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   

What do you mean how are atheists a demographic group? They are the group of people in the US that do not believe in a God. Is that not a group of people that share the same beliefs? Can they not be set apart as a group in a population concerning religions? Do you know what demographics mean?

Atheism is not a belief or in any way related as a religion. It is a lack of belief.

They are not a group. In the sense of an organization gathering together or congregating for discussion of something that does not exist.

There is need to organize for political reasons - - - to keep this country secular.

Yes I know what demographic is. And I'm rejecting the implication that Atheists gather together in "tribes".

edit on 22-8-2011 by Annee because: (no reason given)

Yes, atheism is a lack of belief that requires faith. And yes, atheists are a demographic group in a population...if you were to assess religious statistics in a population what would you include? Christians, Muslims, Jews, Hindus, ATHEISTS, etc.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kitilani

I see a lot of people asking why Atheists should care.

I have a better question. Why do religious types like DrChuck here keep lying about what Atheism is in order to win an argument? Atheists do not need to lie to be Atheists but people who believe in a God keep lying about Atheism. Why is that? Doesn't your god teach you not to? Is your faith that weak that it can only be bolstered by lies?

A lie? Oh brother, what a pathetic attempt to twist and discredit. A religion is based on faith, pure and simple. Atheism requires faith to believe that there is no God. I don't know what you don't understand about that statement.
edit on 22-8-2011 by DrChuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   

reply to post by Janky Red

turn the other cheek so to speak, how deliciously biblical.

get your own country, wait.. they've all been destroyed! at least the atheists in charge were.

sorry bout that chief!

I got my own country

I especially love keeping my head up, eyes open when people pray

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   

A lie? Oh brother, what a pathetic attempt to twist.

No. Calling Atheism a religion and saying it requires faith is 100% wrong. So it is either a pathetic lie or pathetic ignorance. You pick.

A religion is based on faith, pure and simple. Atheism requires faith to believe that there is no God.

No it does not. You do not seem to understand what Atheism actually is if you are not purposely trying to distort it.

I don't know what you don't understand about that statement.

I understand it just fine. It is wrong.

You can make up a god, monster, imaginary friend right now.
I have no belief in that thing you have yet to make up.
What religion does that mean I am subscribing to?
Where does my faith come in?

Atheism is not THE BELIEF YOUR GOD DOES NOT EXIST. You are defining it in your own terms to make your own argument. Atheists do not ever seem to do that about religious types but here you are, a man of "god" completely distorting what something is in order to make a point.

It just seems odd that all you people with a god on your side cannot discuss honestly.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Yes, atheism is a lack of belief that requires faith.

This is really just a stupid argument.

I do not believe in unicorns or leprechauns.
Tell me where faith comes in.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Atheism requires faith to believe that there is no God.

No it doesn't.

I have my own beliefs. My beliefs lack belief in a deity.

It does not require faith for me to lack belief in a deity.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   

don't try to pull that bs on me.

your kind, lol! ya, i said it, is costing taxpayers more money with this lawsuit than what it will cost for the cross to be moved.

you ok wit dat, i guess.

it was an attack on the whole of the USA and not some accident, as i said before.

but then you ignore that or don't take your own advice about reading the thread!

the gov should pay for it and make sure everyone is basically happy with the end result.

the atheist symbol would remind me of a canadian epcot center opposed to disneyland.

but that's not my concern what "you people" come up with.

private money would move that cross there anyway. bet the rent on it.

too bad you guys will have to "put out" for yours.

probably someone will rape you on the commission to design and build, plus take about 5yrs to complete.

plant a tree or trees.

"be the ball" ooooooommmmmmmmm!

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Atheism requires faith to believe that there is no God. I don't know what you don't understand about that statement.
edit on 22-8-2011 by DrChuck because: (no reason given)

You clearly don't understand, Atheism is more akin to a state of being than a religion.
I CANNOT force my mind to accept the construct of god, my mind does not believe
because my mind is not constructed that way. It is not an active decision
any more than breathing is a decision...

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join