It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Authorities considering social media restrictions and curfews, UK prime minister says, after days of

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Authorities considering social media restrictions and curfews, UK prime minister says, after days of rioting.

english.aljazeera.net

David Cameron, the British prime minister, says curfew measures and restrictions on social media websites will be considered following days of rioting in London and other English towns and cities.

Cameron said authorities were looking at ways of stopping people communicating via social media websites if they were suspected of plotting "criminality and violence".

He said face coverings could also be banned if criminality was suspected and said authorities were considering whether wider powers of curfew for police were necessary. Current levels of policing will remain in place until the weekend, Cameron said.

A possible role for the army in preventing and tackling further rioting was also being discussed.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 11/8/11 by RogerT because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Here we go.

Curfews, social media restriction, ban on face coverings and use of the army. A lot of ATS'ers will be saying "I told you so!"

Glad I left the UK a long long time ago.

Sad for my family, but I guess it's not long now before this happens in most countries around the western world.

"Paper's please!" says the rather fierce looking policeman in a brown shirt, lol

english.aljazeera.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
And so it begins..

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Here's a few more of the recommendations:-

To look at whether it would be right to stop people communicating via social media when "we know they are plotting violence, disorder and criminality"
Plans to look at whether wider powers of curfew and dispersal orders were needed
New powers for police to order people to remove facemasks where criminality is suspected
Courts could be given tougher sentencing powers
Landlords could be given more power to evict criminals from social housing
Plans to extend the system of gang injunctions across the country and build on anti-gang programmes, similar to those in the US
He said the government would meet the cost of "legitimate" compensation claims and the time limit for applying would increase from 14 to 42 days
A £10m Recovery Scheme to provide additional support to councils in making areas "safe, clean and clear"
A new £20m high street support scheme to help affected businesses get back up and running quickly
Plans for the government to meet the immediate costs of emergency accommodation for families made homeless

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by RogerT

The protests that began in London were peaceful, people protesting about the corrupt cops shooting dead another innocent person. But in come the agent provocateurs creating mayhem like they did at the G20 in Toronto

So what they want?

They now want to shut down social network sites in time of protests,

They have given the police the right to shoot protestors in future with rubber bullets,

They can now use water cannons on protestors

And much talk about bringing in the army to control protests.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
1984, here we come!

link   
double post
edit on 11-8-2011 by NeverForget because: delete if possible.

link   
I doubt this will every happen (restrictions on social media)
It would be impossible to enforce. There's to many ways around it
And to enforce a curfew would require a 'lot' of ankle tags

link   
reply to post by RogerT

Isn't this the definition of martial law?

"No facial covering, no social media contact"

Get the army in place and ur done.

link   
the young people have realized that they have power, and all it will take is someone being shot or beaten because of a curfew, and they'll be a repeat. next time it will spread farther and cops will be targeted.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
It took him long enough to finally realize what needs to be done in his country. The violent youth should not have the control they do, it is not their right to vandalize, loot, and arson. If it takes a harsh government crackdown on social media, face coverings, and implementation of curfews I say go for it, I applaud David Cameron for standing up to the thugs, because someone has to.

I know this opinion will be hated by the ATS crowd who has nothing but utter contempt for every action of government authority but I do not, to me this is the enforcement of law and order. If it must come at the barrel of a gun to subdue these criminals then so be it.

^^ I stand by this post only if the suggested new laws are short-term, ending when the rioting/looting does. If not, disregard this post.
edit on 8/11/2011 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Isolation

Goodbye internet privacy in Canada

canadianawareness.org...

Trying to enforce in Canada, why not UK and elsewhere?

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bob Sholtz
the young people have realized that they have power, and all it will take is someone being shot or beaten because of a curfew, and they'll be a repeat. next time it will spread farther and cops will be targeted.

Cops WERE the target but it spread to anyone/anything with some monetary value.

Don't get caught in the false reasons for these "protests" because in my opinion theyre nothing more but rampaging kids who have nothing better to do and no authority at home. ("where are you going in the middle of the night while the city is in flames?") dont think alot of this is happening in the UK atm.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by RogerT

If I was a protester this would just fuel my anger even more, Curfews are one thing, but social media restrictions??

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
2nd and 3rd sources to confirm this:

www.rawstory.com...

www.bbc.co.uk...

Between this, and the suggestion by work colleagues to use live ammunition of the looters, I'm seriously considering moving elsewhere. Where a good place for a physicist to get a job that has a more tolerant government?

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nobama
reply to post by RogerT

If I was a protester this would just fuel my anger even more, Curfews are one thing, but social media restrictions??

How are they any different?

They both impose freedom restrictions.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
This will all calm down very soon.

I doubt they will get much more power but I hope the softly, softly approach is never used again, it only made it worse.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

No one has a problem with standing up to the thugs, but the talk of increased government security over social networks and even calls for more cctv by one member of the house. These are knee jerk reactions to the problem and risk the civil liberties of the majority of good British citizens.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Well yes I think its perfectly reasonable to expect the ban on head coverings and curfews to work after all the rioters were clearly stopped dead in their tracks with fear by the ban on burning cars and smashing windows.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
reply to post by Misoir

No one has a problem with standing up to the thugs, but the talk of increased government security over social networks and even calls for more cctv by one member of the house. These are knee jerk reactions to the problem and risk the civil liberties of the majority of good British citizens.

Working as intended....

the more i hear about this the more im starting to doubt the real reasons.

Catalyst is still a black guy shot by police without evidence of him ever firing a single shot or even owning a gun.

"Provocation" seems to get more and more into the back of my head.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join