It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Authorities considering social media restrictions and curfews, UK prime minister says, after days of

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by JennaDarling

Originally posted by The Empty Skies
I have the nasty feeling that some of the public may support this.

They're conveniently forgetting all the people that got together through social networks to organise clean-ups and resistance against the rioters.

Absolutely I will support it.

While Anon keep attacking my private data, I want a clamp down.

While rioters target ordinary people they want a clamp down.

Then I hope you enjoy the feel of the clamp. Best raise your kids to enjoy it too.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by justwokeup

They're conveniently forgetting all the people that got together through social networks to organise clean-ups and resistance against the rioters.

Then I hope you enjoy the feel of the clamp. Best raise your kids to enjoy it too.

I have had worse.

It is simple, tell anon to focus on government and companies, and leave the common people out of it and their personal info out of it and then we willl not object.

Same for the rioters.

If you attack the common people, you lose the support.

This is what is happening now.

They only got themselves to blame.

If you think the government do not already know about your facebook or your bank accounts, wise up and pull your head out.

Curfews, Britian has done them in the past, it is not something new. Restrictions to media has been done in the past, again not something new. As for armed police, again Britain has them, as for Army on the streets, yup, they have done that before.

Why are you crying over something that has been done before and was acceptable then too?
edit on 11-8-2011 by JennaDarling because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   

People are quick to blame the symptoms and too often ignore the causes.

Where were all the people who are condemning these riots? Why arn't they on the streets helping out their community?

There was only a few stands against the thugs. What the U.K needs is a greater sense of community (remember the Blitz?) which will prove to be rather difficult after the separation and division caused by media hype, slack immigration pollicies, tension within the international community and because we're bending over for the U.N and the globalist bankers.
edit on 11/8/2011 by NeverForget because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by JennaDarling

Spectacularly missing the point.

I know the government can access my data if it so chooses. Just like it could intercept letters or phones in the past. The point is that is targeted and you wont be targeted unless you are a lawbreaker (or suspected of it).

Blanket bans on social media prevent people from communicating on a mass scale guilty or not. Thats not acceptable in a free society. Thats no different to smashing the printing press in an earlier age "damn those pamphlet printers, they agitate the peasants, ban the printing press I say".

Social media makes it harder to perpetuate falsehood and is one of the most useful developments for democracy in a long time. Strangling it due to the actions of a bunch of idiots is not acceptable.

Anonymous is irrelevant here. Hacking is already illegal and nothing proposed here would help that.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by NeverForget

People are quick to blame the symptoms and not look at the causes. And where were all the people who are condemning these riots; why arn't they on the streets helping out their community?

There was only a few stands against the thugs. What the U.K needs is a greater sense of commnunity (remember the Blitz?) which will prove to be rather difficult after the separation and division caused by media hype, slack immigration pollicies, tension within the international community and because we're bending over for the U.N and the globalist bankers.

The Blitz? That generation is dying.. Now all the UK has is thugs and football hooligans.

The generation in the Blitz never had hand outs from the governemnt, they got by with what they had. Today, they expect XBoxs and $1000 jeans.

Funny how other countries in Northern Europe are not crying bankrupcy, or crying about high taxes (they are higher than the UK's) and crying about a failing healthcare system, or transport system or paying for education fees. Infact they are far better off and prouder.

The causes is a social one, parenting and so on.

British people expect hands outs yet they do not want to pay taxes (just like Americans - they dont want to pay taxes either).

The community you speak off is long gone. Britain is failing, it is rotten to the core, the people as we can see clearly on TV.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Hm, well, that's fine I guess, though I see you ignored the main point of my post.

When tyranny threatens people the best thing they can do is to communicate with others, otherwise they're boxed-in and full of fear. Social networking helped the people sickened by the rioter's behavior organise resistances and clean-ups.

Why should people be expected to sit back and not take on any sort of responsibility instead of aiding the authorities and helping bring criminals to justice?

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   

I know the government can access my data if it so chooses. Just like it could intercept letters or phones in the past. The point is that is targeted and you wont be targeted unless you are a lawbreaker (or suspected of it).

Blanket bans on social media prevent people from communicating on a mass scale guilty or not. Thats not acceptable in a free society. Thats no different to smashing the printing press in an earlier age "damn those pamphlet printers, they agitate the peasants, ban the printing press I say".

Social media makes it harder to perpetuate falsehood and is one of the most useful developments for democracy in a long time. Strangling it due to the actions of a bunch of idiots is not acceptable.

Anonymous is irrelevant here. Hacking is already illegal and nothing proposed here would help that.

Anon and Lulzsec are just like rioters. Attacking the communities, the people. They just riot in a different way, yet they still destroy people's stuff by stealing it.

No different.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
We all know the problem , reaction solution equation..

SO STOP BLOODY GIVING PROBLEMS that cause people to react and then the governments to give out a final solution!

Rioters / Anon / Lulzsec are all USEFUL IDIOTS, politicans are sitting back LAUGHING at you all, walking into them their spiders web.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Anon and Lulzsec are just like rioters. Attacking the communities, the people. They just riot in a different way, yet they still destroy people's stuff by stealing it.

No different.

Thats already adequately covered by law.

Social media crackdowns will not prevent hackers from stealing your data.

Therefore its irrelevant to a discussion of social media crackdowns and curfews.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   

No different.

Thats already adequately covered by law.

Social media crackdowns will not prevent hackers from stealing your data.

Therefore its irrelevant to a discussion of social media crackdowns and curfews.

Curfews will solve problems of people on the street.

Social media crack downs will solve flash mobs and organisation of riots.

If they cannot communicate, they are less likely to be as big a problem.

If they shouldnt be on the street at night, less likely of a problem, only those with legitimate business are on the street.

No? Just arguing the OTHER side now for a change.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Your trolling now? Yes?

"What are you doing on the street at this time miss, show me your papers, oh dear, your papers are not in order, come into the back of the van for inspection"

If you dont see whats wrong with your postings I cant help you. Should it ever come to pass I'll be off somewhere in the world where they still remember what lies at the end of that road.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Your trolling now? Yes?

"What are you doing on the street at this time miss, show me your papers, oh dear, your papers are not in order, come into the back of the van for inspection"

If you dont see whats wrong with your postings I cant help you. Should it ever come to pass I'll be off somewhere in the world where they still remember what lies at the end of that road.

Afraid to break it to you, Britain has already done that in the past, and does today.

Curfews, Northern Ireland, Army on streets, Northern ireland, Media blackouts, Northern Ireland, Random searches without cause, Northern Ireland. Detention without trial.. Northern Ireland.

And if you say that doesnt count...

Random Searches on street, Mainland UK - stopping kids for going equipped or carrying knives, screwdrivers, even those comming from work (Electricians).

It has been done before, has been done recently, and was acceptible then and it will be acceptable now.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   

We've done concentration camps too, lets have that back again as well if historical precedent is what counts. That'll teach the blighters.

If you want that kind of future and if you are right that the public is dumb enough (you may be) then the future is lost in this country.

Have fun in the back of the van.

link   
The top and the bottom of it all is that the rich has become too greedy. And they want more and more. Local councillors on 250 k , doctors on 125 k, school principles on 150 k,solicitors and lawyers off the charts 20 years ago poor kids could go swimming for 20p ,now its five pounds. A days bus travel is 5 pounds, social housing sold off to private companies. minimum wage 175 a week and rents 90, council tax 20 pound a week. Both parents working with latch key kids and still having to claim benefits. Both parents needing to work 60 hours each just to clear the poverty line. And then we see the greed and bad behavior of these middle and upperclass twits . Calling us chavs and lowlifes. tThey think they divided the people with mass immigration but its backfired. The majority will win. The right message should be put OUT> WE WILL NOT STOP UNTIL THE HIGHEST WAGE IS NO MORE THAN DOUBLE THE LOWEST WAGE.OR THE RIOTS WILL CONTINUE. YOU GREEDY BASTARDS.,aLL THESE RIOTS HAPPENING AFTER CAMERON SAID HUG A HOODY. taking the #ing piss

link   
reply to post by justwokeup

I posted this in another thread but I think it is relevent here.
"My own thoughts would be to use social networking against them. What I mean is to use Facebook/Twitter eg; not to cause violence or rioting but to find out what businesses these politicians/criminals are involved in, and then use Facebook/Twitter to get people to boycott the said businesses. Therein lies our power, they are hit in the pocket. They will start listening. I may be a million miles offtrack here, its a just a thought."

Peace

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   

We've done concentration camps too, lets have that back again as well if historical precedent is what counts. That'll teach the blighters.

If you want that kind of future and if you are right that the public is dumb enough (you may be) then the future is lost in this country.

Have fun in the back of the van.

Kind of future? It is already there today... They can stop you on the street anytime they want and ask who you are and even search you if they feel you are "going equipped" to a crime.

They can block you today from social media, using restraining orders today.

You seem to forget the future that is comming to the mainland UK is what was dished out to Northern Ireland in the past but now you all seem to cry foul now when it affects you in your own back yard?

All this crying about your privacy and rights now? Bit late isnt it? If you want to be treated like civilised people, stop rioting and act civilised.

Remember Northern Ireland there was a peace march, we all know what happened there.
Remember Northern Ireland there was rioting, we all know what happened there.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by JustMeLiverpool

"My own thoughts would be to use social networking against them. What I mean is to use Facebook/Twitter eg; not to cause violence or rioting but to find out what businesses these politicians/criminals are involved in, and then use Facebook/Twitter to get people to boycott the said businesses. Therein lies our power, they are hit in the pocket. They will start listening. I may be a million miles offtrack here, its a just a thought."

Peace

Social media is being used against them.

Here www.facebook.com...

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Peace

I'm sure there are many ways the police could harness the same social media. In a just society the lawful will always be the majority and social media is only an efficient means of communication.

The trick is to figure out a way to use the technology for lawful means without getting out the 'ban' stick or creating cyber vigilantes. Thats a knee-jerk reaction that wont help.

The trick is to assist the rule of law to adapt to the technology.

How about a crowd-sourcing neighbourhood watch system. If the lawful are in the majority the truth should win out. Smarter people than me out there.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Peace

I'm sure there are many ways the police could harness the same social media. In a just society the lawful will always be the majority and social media is only an efficient means of communication.

The trick is to figure out a way to use the technology for lawful means without getting out the 'ban' stick or creating cyber vigilantes. Thats a knee-jerk reaction that wont help.

The trick is to assist the rule of law to adapt to the technology.

How about a crowd-sourcing neighbourhood watch system. If the lawful are in the majority the truth should win out. Smarter people than me out there.

Ahh buzzwords
"Crowdsourcing" DING!
"Cyber".. DING!

RIM (makers of the Blackberry mobile phone and its network) is cooperating with the Police using existing laws today, Facebook will do the same, as will Twitter. They don't need a warrent because the businsesses (RIM etc) are "cooperating" with them, the Police are not doing the searching

Infact there is rumours of them having full access to the databases via an API anyway that we don't get to see.

You talk of a "kneejerk" reaction is not needed? That is exactly what we are seeing on TV, KNEE JERK reactions, theyre called RIOTS.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Meh! who cares about it.

What needs to be done is implement national service unless your in University.
No community service. 2 years in the army instead. (Penal Battalion)
Leave Europe immediately and it's pussy laws.
End Political correctness.
Physical deterrent punishment in schools.
Send parents to jail for bringing up yob children.

It needs to happen , this country is a joke.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join