It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Authorities considering social media restrictions and curfews, UK prime minister says, after days of

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Who are they kidding? They will not do this at all. By their own admission they have been using these sites in order to track down the criminals. They even arrested a 16 year old in Scotland for promoting a riot through the the Facebook Social Network site.

Can you remember the outcry when Egypt closed the ineternet down during their uprising.

This has just been a test I think. A test to check out the resolve of the U.K Citizens. There was a massive outcry from Joe Public and to some extent, I agreed. Looting and burning communities is definately not the way forward. We have to live in our communities and I for one do not want to live in somethng resembling a war zone.

I did draw the line when people were crying out for the army. I couldn't believe how quickly that call came through, a lot quicker than I thought it would.

The thing that has bugged me through all of this was the fact that all top Government with the exception of Hague (I think) was on holiday. The Police were slow to react, we're told tonight. But surely the Police were leaderless, or was it a chance for the Police to restrict the cuts coming their way?

Either way, social network sites are the best form of I.D as possible. Even if you haven't been in trouble with the Police, they can find out an awful lot about you through these networks.
edit on 11/8/11 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cobaltic1978
Who are they kidding? They will not do this at all. By their own admission they have been using these sites in order to track down the criminals. They even arrested a 16 year old in Scotland for promoting a riot through the the Facebook Social Network site.

Can you remember the outcry when Egypt closed the ineternet down during their uprising.

This has just been a test I think. A test to check out the resolve of the U.K Citizens. Unfortunately there was a massive outcry from Joe Public and to some extent, I agreed. Looting and burning communities is definately not the way forward. We have to live in our communities and I for one do not want to live in somethng resembling a war zone.

I did draw the line when people were crying out for the army. I couldn't believe how quickly that call came through, a lot quicker than I thought it would.

The thing that has bugged me through all of this was the fact that all top Government with the exception of Hague (I think) was on holiday. The Police were slow to react, we're told tonight. But surely the Police were leaderless, or was it a chance for the Police to restrict the cuts coming their way?

Either way, social network sites are the best form of I.D as possible. Even if you haven't been in trouble with the Police, they can find out an awful lot about you through these networks.

Yeah I heard the outcry as London did worse to Northern Ireland... the silence was deafening..

Now the shoe is on the other foot.. The outcry is deafening.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by JennaDarling

I'm not interested in the past as I cant do anything about it. We could compare historical injustices and folly all day long but its pointless.

I am interested in the future we create. A future with the rule of law balanced by personal liberty.

I dont agree with the things you list and I don't want them in my children's future. I don't think we will ever agree so we may as well stop the discussion.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by justwokeup

I'm not interested in the past as I cant do anything about it. We could compare historical injustices and folly all day long but its pointless.

I am interested in the future we create. A future with the rule of law balanced by personal liberty.

I dont agree with the things you list and I don't want them in my children's future. I don't think we will ever agree so we may as well stop the discussion.

Historical? This is happening the world over now today... what are you going to do to stop it?

Cry more on an interenet forum anonymously?

Seriously, what are you going to do about it and what is the prognosis?

Face it, we knew from since the internet became a world for businesses to make money, this was comming, bit by bit. what did we do? We empowered ourselves with technology, encryption, tunnels and so on.

Now those are at risk, now what are you going to do?

Switch off? That is probably your best option, but also your worst, as it divides you all.

edit on 11-8-2011 by JennaDarling because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
The army will not help because they are
skinter than most people and they cant find social housing nevermind afford a mortgage,
This is turning into a civil war between the rich and the poor. the rich use tatics like media blackouts and the curtailing off civil liberties and the poor will just burn the place down. Its about the rich britains seeing sense and supporting their fellow countrymen instead of thinking they are worth more than a labourer who outworks them 5 to 1. Come on people wake up? in britain the poor give more to charity than the rich misers. says it all doesnt it?

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by The Empty Skies

i am for it all apart from social media restrictions, i agree with your comment there.

to everyone:
but everything else is needed, the u.k. has a problem that is out of control with these youth gangs, and things need to be put in place to stop this happening again or if it does happen again so that it can be dealt with swiftly.

of course we are only talking about during riots here, i have not heard any member of governemnt suggest they should be used in protests, infact the government does not reconise them as protests neither do the people. however with all the people in this thread that keep insisting the london riots were a protest i am sure the government can use that confusion to their advantage.

we are talking about during riots not peacefull protests, if i see these measures used during peaceful protests then i would be one of the first to speak out against it as would many british people.

we don't want thugs, we are SICK of them. we need to put a stop to it, by being tough, and by helping them to change and diverting them at a younger age from that path.

there is anger at them, but hopefully there is a crackdown on them coming, but also help if they work with the british people instead of fighting them.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by allintoaccount
The army will not help because they are
skinter than most people and they cant find social housing nevermind afford a mortgage,
This is turning into a civil war between the rich and the poor. the rich use tatics like media blackouts and the curtailing off civil liberties and the poor will just burn the place down. Its about the rich britains seeing sense and supporting their fellow countrymen instead of thinking they are worth more than a labourer who outworks them 5 to 1. Come on people wake up? in britain the poor give more to charity than the rich misers. says it all doesnt it?

Yeah it does, and there was a study recently that concluded the Rich are have less empathy than the poor.

That study is right.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   

These acts of criminaility can never be compared to what took place in Northern Ireland, but I appreciate what you are saying.

The reason the majority of us use this site is because of some injustice that we have witnessed and Northern Ireland was one of them for me.

I don't blame any of the other countries in the union for not feeling sorry for what's happening. No more than I do for countries like Iraq, Afghanistan or Libya.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Stop being silly, they let them riot and loot for so many days explicitly for the purpose of passing new laws. The laws in which I speak will strip people of their rights and can and will be used against the public at a later date.

You seem to fail to grasp the concept that governments around the world are currently chipping away at the peoples rights and is imposing laws which when used in combination essentially create a police state. I am sure some will argue it is for protection or what have you, fine.

My question is what happens if a group or party or the banks and corporations decide to take power and strip all rights from the people? I argue if these systems are already in place it would make it that much more easy to round up undesirables (ANYONE WHO OBJECTS) and ship them off to camps. It has potential that it could be all played out in sequence where a takeover could be in process and people would be oblivious. Do you remember the old quote: First they came for the _____ and I didn't say anything, then they came for the... I hope you get the point and this is all part of the dangers of social networking to begin with anyways, look at Canada wanting to take away to right to post in forums under alias and have the computers an open book for feds.

Point being oppressive laws like this are part of the tippy-toe to fascist dictatorships.
edit on 11-8-2011 by TheRemedial because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by rigel4

may be they should all earn you heaps of cash and bring back the workhouses.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
What needs to be done is implement national service unless your in University.
No community service. 2 years in the army instead. (Penal Battalion)
Leave Europe immediately and it's pussy laws.
End Political correctness.
Physical deterrent punishment in schools.
Send parents to jail for bringing up yob children.

It needs to happen , this country is a joke.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by JennaDarling

Originally posted by justwokeup

Historical? This is happening the world over now today... what are you going to do to stop it?

Cry more on an interenet forum anonymously?

Seriously, what are you going to do about it and what is the prognosis?

edit on 11-8-2011 by JennaDarling because: (no reason given)

I'll use the legal means available to me if I get upset enough about something. Blanket social media bans would probably do it.

Your essentially advocating moving towards a fascist state. I disagree thats the way to go.

Do you have anything constructive to say at all?

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
People seem to forget..

Governments and police only have power, if we grant it to them, by accepting that power.

The last count of population on the planet what are we passing 5 BILLION soon if not now?

Last I checked that was more than the combined police forces armies and politicans of the world nevermind a small country.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Feel free to abandon Facebook and sign up to the Anon social network..

.. yeah I wouldn't trust them either, infact I would trust facebook more than Anon's social network, because Anon has a track record of attacking the common peoples data and publishing it or abusing it.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Again, do you not understand that with the direction of technology they are heading in a direction where they will be able to use NEW TECHNOLOGY to control simple people. An unarmed people or armed with bats is no match for chemicals and sound canons that drop people like a stone. They have the means to control mass amounts of people, they only need to implement it slowly and cleverly so that it catches the everyday citizen off guard.

Do not kid yourself with the myth of strength in numbers... A single comet can kill a civilization.

::::I add this in an edit to your response below because it is pointless to carry on conversation with you. I am not talking about HAARP. It is lost on you and so this will be my final contribution to the thread, thank you all::::
edit on 11-8-2011 by TheRemedial because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRemedial

Again, do you not understand that with the direction of technology they are heading in a direction where they will be able to use NEW TECHNOLOGY to control simple people. An unarmed people or armed with bats is no match for chemicals and sound canons that drop people like a stone. They have the means to control mass amounts of people, they only need to implement it slowly and cleverly so that it catches the everyday citizen off guard.

Do not kid yourself with the myth of strength in numbers... A single comet can kill a civilization.

HAARP does not do things like that, at least that is the respones I get told

With every repression there will always be an underground, history has proven that, WW2, Conflicts around the world, and nearby.

One day we will all become the terrorists, as we suddenly wake up and fight back. Yet we call other people terrorists today for doing the same thing. that is what annoys me when people cry we attack them because they are terrorists, only in your eyes, when you get to wear their shoes, you suddenely think of yourself as the freedom fighter.

Hyprocacy is all around us. We are all hypocrits.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by lifeform11

they shut our youthclubs down in the 90's,the poor can no longer afford to go swimming, they cant afford to join a sports team, they do not have holidays, a 3 mile busride for a family of 4 is 9 pounds... the rich Has priced the poor out of society,privatise this ,privatise that, fat bastard shareholders who could afford to by shares now get my money for my bins being emptied. why should some fat bastard shareholder profit out of my bins,buses,health, schools? all this while the tax burden on the poor rose and fell for the rich. WELL I HOPE YOU RICH PEOPLE OF THE UK FEEL ALL NICE AND SAFE. BECAUSE THE MOB IS COMING AND ITS ALL YOUR FAULT YOU GREEDY BASTARDS.
edit on 11-8-2011 by allintoaccount because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by allintoaccount

You make some good points... but sound very angry and full of hate . Passion for a cause doesnt have to mean hate for the enemy.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by JennaDarling
Absolutely I will support it.
While Anon keep attacking my private data, I want a clamp down.
While rioters target ordinary people they want a clamp down.

Your not the only one. Lets not kid ourselves that this was a politically motivated 'protest' this was a load of kids who wanted some free stuff because 'they deserved it' . This is a symptom of the way society has been going since the late 1980's.

Yes take away availability to social media to people who are hell bent on making society decend into anarchy..

Yes ban them from covering their faces if suspected of being a nasty theiving little git.

Yes jail them for as long as is possible and impose massive fines so it is not vaible to do this again as costs would far outweigh the 'free stuff'.

So my message to the idiots who are rioting due to feeling the need for some new trainers they dont want to pay for them is simple:

No one owes you anything, life isn't fair and good s**t happens to bad people and bad s**t happens to good people...deal with it.

You are not a special little snowflake, but a cog in a machine. a machine you are trying to break. That may sound cool but once you've been around a bit more you realise what total effing idiots you are being. The machine is there so society 'works'.

Also its worth bearing in mind that those paying to rectify 'the machine' will be you and your families for years to come. The rich wont suddenly pay for this damage, it will come out of the poor and those areas least able to afford it. 'The machine' will always exist in way shape or form. You want to break 'the machine' you have to play their game and play by their rules.

Without some semblance of order society would fall apart, who would you call if your family is being murdered? The Police? no.... there wouldn't be any as you didn't want a system remember. You may then have a gun ...but so would everyone else including every damn psycho who you woudn't want within 100 miles of your family.

Minimum wage would disapear....no welfare / the dole.... hospitals would cease to exist....etc etc....

The system may not be perfect, often far from it in many of our opinions. It may sound cool to 'smash the system' but its the only one we have that keeps things even remotely ticking over. This childish 'I want' mentality must stop if we are to move forward as a species....and yes I include hacktivists such as anon in this. It is not teenagers who are able to change the world, but rather those in middle age, the 'oldies' many of who were fighting for human rights before these kids were even born. who stood against the things that we considered wrong so that kids today have the ability to protest or even have ethe choice to be able to choice which path in life to take . be that good or bad.

This is a conspiracy...but not so much by goverments (although what the hell did these kids think was going to happen? that they'd get off scott free? thats not how goverments behave, regardless of politics.) But rather a conspiracy by kids with no sense of values, no sense of right or wrong, obsessed with a manufactured 'cult of celebrity' and 'reality tv' that conspired amongst the london gangs who as a rule despise each other, in order to go out cause mayhem and 'bag me some free s**t'.

You can wrap it up as much as you like, but life isn't a computer game. There's no respawn, this is it. You may not like it, its not perfect I agree but damn it tearing down your own communities isn't the way forward. you want to really protest? Try the houses of parliment next time. But my bet is if someone was ever stupid enough to try that the hand of the establishment would come down long, fast and hard.

Protesting isn't picking 'easy targets', its not picking your fights that you know you can win. its going into fight that you know you can never win in the hope you can change things in the long term.

If you want to change things, do it in a way that you are not giving ammunition to the very people you claim to be demonstrating about.

Wayne...

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by allintoaccount

get help, we are all in the same situation. i am not rich and i certainly was not rich in the 90's, guess what, i was a youth then, and i never commited mindless crime and violence. i was greatful for what i did have.
i use to hang out with a gang, but guess what instead robbing people and causing crime, we listened to music had a laugh and left people alone, we set up our OWN football team and puts lots of time into it, it gave use something to do, we enjoyed it, no youth centre helped us we did it OURSELVES.

causing criminal damage looting and rioting is only achieving more tax to fix damage and compensate businesses, less jobs in the community, more homeless people etc etc. people who do this stuff are destroying their own futures, destroying any prospects they might of had. they smash stuff up then complain there are no jobs and nothing to do.
stop smashing up community buildings then, stop destroying the parks and alienating people, stop wrecking youth centres..... do something yourselves about it, but do something positive, NOT negative.

you can do anything with the right attitude, but that is the problem, the attitude.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join