It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Authorities considering social media restrictions and curfews, UK prime minister says, after days of

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Romekje

Curfews help cut back on riots and looting, but cutting off social media sites because you're scared of people organizing is stupid, they will still find ways to plan these riots. and I dont agreed with the curfews, but when stuff gets out of hand it's better than just shooting the people.

link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

And thats exactly what they want.

I think your solution to this is what we in the US call the Korean Shop Keeper.
They are rather handy to have around, make quick work of rioters and looters and they are not the government.

link   
reply to post by Romekje

they were pissed that a kid was shot by police. it turns out he didn't shoot at them. yes, criminal elements were brought out and looting ensued. cops were actual targets for a very short time. if we see curfews/martial law over there, or another case of police brutality, it will start all over again. where it goes is up to the government's response.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Perhaps I read the story wrong, are these suggested to be long-term or permanent responses? I thought it was until the rioting/looting ended or shortly after then. Because if it is suggested to be a long-term solution then I would have to disagree with my original post, this would not be productive in that way.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
If you are only worried about your privacy now ... it is a bit late.

You should have been worried 10 years ago but you did nothing.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by JennaDarling

No one spoke up in regards to 7/7

Peter Power should have been arrested. And those at M16 found guilty of treason.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bob Sholtz
reply to post by Romekje

they were pissed that a kid was shot by police. it turns out he didn't shoot at them. yes, criminal elements were brought out and looting ensued. cops were actual targets for a very short time. if we see curfews/martial law over there, or another case of police brutality, it will start all over again. where it goes is up to the government's response.

So far i must say i applaud the UK government for not going all out on the autoritarian emergency laws.

Yet this is only the beginning and i think if they indeed close down social media the brown stuff will seriously start flying because then all the parents of "little boy rioter" suddenly can't access boards anymore to brag about how their offspring is helping to "bring down the establishment" (of local shops and residences).

I'm no fan of the government but in my view the UK has all the right in the world to quell these fake protests with all means necessary, our country might be gullible and lazy, but im pretty sure our policeforce would deal with this swiftly. The Dutch don't like reading bad news, theyre not used to it and will go crying to big brother at the slightest hickup because it dusturbs the ivory bubble they live in.

I just hope you english folks are more down to earth (in the real sense, not as in not caring like most of our populace would)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Even if they do put in place restrictions of social networks, curfews etc, they wouldn't make it a permanent fixture.

I live 30 minutes from London, and I know at the moment it's only a 'very few' people causing all this trouble. Most with nothing better to do, from bad backgrounds / rough areas. I'm 20 and I don't know anyone who actually agree's with what's going on. I'm constantly seeing status updates saying how mindless and stupid it all is, and that's what the majority of people truly think.

But if they kept a curfew and media restrictions for everyone once this has all settled down. That's when they'd start to see the average person get out of their seat.

And do you think they want that? They can barely cope with a couple of hundred 16 year olds breaking into Poundland... you think they'll risk drawing a larger group of people into it?

Even if it does happen, trust me, it won't last.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Banning masks is one thing, making them take them off totally another.....
Think about the very essence of whats happening though......
These mobsters are getting used to the idea that the people en masse have potent power to back the goc boys down.
Its a lesson we are all learning through watching the tele about the riots.
The entire world has just been programmed to the fact the everywhere in the world the gov boys have been truely powerless to stop a concerted mass effort to destabilise the society.
The "cause Celeb" has been different, but the effect of bringing change to the social system through direct action in the streets, has worked through the rainbow of revolutions around the globe over the last decades.
What the CIA has perfected, the people are now copying for better or worse they have inadvertently illustrated to everyone hpow the people can make their voices heard in gov most effectively.
We still hold the ultimate power overthe gov regardless of what system or what is used against us....
eventually the people will win!

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
The only reason they allowed the riots to continue was so that they could impose these upon the people. The police watched until public outcry was bad enough that they knew they could chip away at the rights of people yet again. It's quite dastardly.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by RogerT

Talk about misrepresenting something to make a weak as piss point...

The talk of the Army was not to Police the streets, but assist with things away from the front line so they can free up man power for any rioting.

The social media restrictiosn would be very specific to a location, persons and events.

Same with the curfews and the "ban on face coverings" is only if people are suspected of being involevd in crime, they can be ordered to remove it.

This isn't martial law, or the NWO, or shape shifting lizards or whatever crazy crap you guys think is going on..

Besides, such laws would need to get through Parliament and would have to have very specific trigger points.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
HI all ,new member to ATS ,some good comments listed, makes good reading I believe the uk is at the forefront of NWO propaganda and believe we are observing another false flag attack using the people against the people, yes these are criminals, yes they need to be jailed and yes the local communities have all rights in protecting themselves against these scum bags . I hear minibuses where rallying thugs to trouble hot spots but by who ? (gladio units MI6 ?) www.dailymail.co.uk...
What we are witnessing is another case of Problem ,Reaction Solution . Here in the uk 99.9 % of population want our loving government to come down harder on them (us!) Be carefull what you wish for ! as they will happilly accomodate your restrictions.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by NeverForget

Remember remember the fifth of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot.
I know of no reason why gunpowder, treason
Should ever be forgot…
is it me or did alan moore hit the nail on the head with v for vendetta.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flyer
This will all calm down very soon.

I doubt they will get much more power but I hope the softly, softly approach is never used again, it only made it worse.

Wake up and smell the roses. It's just the beginning of them instigating violence to justify stripping the UK people of all their liberties. It's the next phase of establishing fascism.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
If they didn't want an us against them mentality, they should work on having a "US" mentality.

Yes, it ONLY makes sense that when riots break out due to police abuses, that you'd give the police more power.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Yeah, just like the global move and consequent laws passed to make people's bank accounts and financial activity transparent to the gov. is only going to apply to those actually engaged in money-laundering.

Keep defending the moves to remove all our freedoms disguised as protecting us against the bad guys if you like, in fact it's this attitude amongst the majority that is speeding us towards some sort of final showdown.

I am actually glad that the majority of people are falling for it most if not all of the time. If the big boys weren't getting away with it so often, they'd be a lot less extravagant and obvious about it, and we'd be another century before the mess got bad enough to warrant a real revolution. As things stand, I'll wager the end of the monetary system and the breakdown of current society within 18 months, if not by the end of 2011.

Keep tightening the screws David et al. It'll take extreme restriction to get people to trade their fear of loss of comfort for a fear of loss of freedom.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by proteus33

Definetly.

Orwell and Huxley's dystopias are too close to the truth.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I have the nasty feeling that some of the public may support this.

They're conveniently forgetting all the people that got together through social networks to organise clean-ups and resistance against the rioters.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   

No. No curfews and no banning of social media.

No bureaucracy ever willingly gives up a liberty you surrender to it.

The answer to this is to get properly physical with those doing it and arrest them all. Taking freedom away from the lawful as a substitute for tackling the lawless is absurd.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Empty Skies
I have the nasty feeling that some of the public may support this.

They're conveniently forgetting all the people that got together through social networks to organise clean-ups and resistance against the rioters.

Absolutely I will support it.

While Anon keep attacking my private data, I want a clamp down.

While rioters target ordinary people they want a clamp down.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join