It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$1 Billion Bet In July Of US Downgrade Brings Questions Of Insider Information

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by canselmi

I assume that the "bettor" actually purchased something, that as a result of the downgrade, will end up being worth more. If this is the case, how does it end up being worth more?

In the stock market, they are called "trades".

and this trade was placed in the futures market.

The trade was for block trades of 5,370 10-year Treasury futures executed at
124-03 and 3,100 Treasury bond futures executed at 125-01.

Seeing that this was a futuresthey had to have margin capacity behind the trade.
That means $1 billion of real capital to back up the trade.

Thats a 10 to 1 return ratio.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

*Yawn*,

You know what I find interesting, is you did not attack the original thread.

This one is more concerned with the insider angle, and if you want to debunk the original
story, go ahead. That thread is still open.

edit on 8-8-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships

This one is more concerned with the insider angle, and if you want to debunk the original

You give permission to debunk the original story? lol Why is your story off limits to investigation and critical thinking?

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   

You know what I find interesting, is you did not attack the original thread.

Apparently getting an answer out of you is going to be impossible... As you pointed out, I didnt attack the thread, nor did I attack you, nor did I attack any info. I simply pointed out the credability of the Examiner and respectfully asked if any other outlets were covering the story.

You are the one who took offense and jumped to conclusion, not me.

Also, dont yawn at my questions, as it does nthing but reinforce that you have absolutely no class when it comes to having people ask questions that you cant answer.

By the way, still waiting on that answer.

While waiting for that I also pointed out that the entire basis of the article is based on the assumption of insider trading. As I pointd out the S and P is not the only crediting agency for nations, so the perosn would have to know for sure which agency would lower the rating, and that is not addressed in the articles.

If it were a "bet" do you think they would leave a trail of bread crumbs back to their front door?

But hey since you gave me permission to debunk the origional article ive already sent in the request to have this thread moved into the Hoax category since there is nothing in this that is verifiable in the least, unless we include your behavior towards others.
edit on 8-8-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I fail to see anything conspiratorial about this. Anyone paying attention for the past 6 months KNEW that this was coming. The people acting surprised are either dishonest or white house lap dogs.

Hell, if I had a billion dollars I would have done the same thing. This country is finished. Bring on the North American Union

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by illuminatislave

Lol white house lap dogs? Followed up by the comment of the US being done and the NAU....

I wont even bother pointing outyour screen name and just how funny the post linked with the name is....

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   

SHTF Time. When it costs ten dollars to get a gallon of gas we'll see what's so funny

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
This thread, as well as the other you mention if it is based off the same article, should as well be skunked, or hoaxed, if and unless someone can come up with an actual source that the information purported in the source article can be verified as true.

I find it interesting that you are more concerned at having your thread debunked than in denying ignorance.

Perhaps the real news is that why would such a thing be planted in the media in the first place? How does it benefit the money movers and shakers to plant this false information?

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by NoAngel2u

Jack Barnes is a contributing writer to MoneyMorning.com,
they have at least 8 regular contributors, of which he is one.

MoneyMorning ran the story, and in Jacks article on this bond trade, he embedded a chart from
Bloomberg Money with the details of the trade.

That chart is here

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/df507ef1a6b2.jpg[/atsimg]

Jack Barnes
Jack H. Barnes Jr. is a columnist for Money Morning and will soon be running a new trading service that's to be added to the Money Map Press LLC stable of services. Barnes' specialty is "global-macro" trading, a "top-down" investing discipline that requires him to spot, analyze and project emerging trends - and to then convert those observations into actionable investing strategies.

Barnes started his career at Franklin Templeton in 1997. He started out in the company's fund-information department - just as the Asian contagion infected the Asian tiger countries.

Barnes launched his own shop, RIA, in 2003, just as the second Gulf War was breaking out. In early 2006, after logging a one-year return of nearly 83%, Forbes named Barnes the top stock picker in its "Armchair Investors Who Beat the Pros" competition. His two audited hedge funds generated double-digit returns in 2008.

moneymorning.com...

Google Cache of the actual write up here:

moneymorning.com... hursday+-+a+%241+billion+Armageddon+trade+betting+the+United+States+will+lose+its+AAA+credit+rating.&ct=clnk" target="_blank" class="postlink">Google Cache

Snapshot here

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b515ce5821ac.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

What intrests me is who pays up when this trader wins the bet? Who is now in Debt and must pay the Billions?

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   

No offense taken, however I dont take you seriously, as I have observed
your behavior in other threads.... your continual off topic comments...

This is ATS discuss the topic, not the poster. You know the drill.

If you think its a hoax, call a moderator.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoAngel2u
This thread, as well as the other you mention if it is based off the same article, should as well be skunked, or hoaxed, if and unless someone can come up with an actual source that the information purported in the source article can be verified as true.

I find it interesting that you are more concerned at having your thread debunked than in denying ignorance.

Perhaps the real news is that why would such a thing be planted in the media in the first place? How does it benefit the money movers and shakers to plant this false information?

Deny Ignorance indeed.

The Market Oracle also ran Barnes story...

www.marketoracle.co.uk...

Are you going to call them out as an invalid source also?

How about New Media Journal, they ran Barnes Story also.

newmediajournal.us...

Here is the EFT daily news link which I think I put in the OP.
etfdailynews.com...

Do you really think that EFT news would run a hoax story?
Maybe your not familiar yourselft with credible news sources in the finance industry?

I see that your new to ATS, and hope that as you stay and learn
you wont be misled by certain folks with an agenda.

I am not here to do your homework for you.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Lol Soros. Soros.Soros.Soros.Soros.Soros.Soros.Soros.Soros.Soros.Soros.Soros.Soros.Soros.Soros.Soros.Soros.

Anyone else have a better answer?

Soros.Soros.Soros.Soros.Soros.Soros.Soros.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fett Pinkus

What intrests me is who pays up when this trader wins the bet? Who is now in Debt and must pay the Billions?

The folks who bet futures holding long positions that interest rates would stay low.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   

The homework is your responsibility, as you were the op and questioned for source. I have searched bloomberg and am unable to find the image you and money morning provided. How about do your homework and see if you can find it or any mention of that trade taking place there.

Your posting pictures of your searches does not prove truth.

The ETF Daily posted the earlirst known article on the subject, that I've been able to find, so it looks as if the Examiner republished it. So we come back to Barnes, who as I said before DID NOT publish that article on Money Morning, nor his own blog.

As far as Market Oracle,,, well looks like they were hoaxed right along with you, but I'm still open to proof, if you are still doing your homework and investigating the truth of this.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
And how much so you want to bet McGraw-Hill publishing the owners of S & P had a hand in it? If you had any doubt that our economy is manipulated by a very few elite individuals, your doubt has now been shattered. S & P = Continued U.S. Corporate Treason!

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   

I have already provided more than enough sources for you.
If you dont like Jack Barnes article I suggest you take it up with him.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by mudbeed
Lol Soros. Soros.Soros.Soros.Soros.Soros.Soros.Soros.Soros.Soros.Soros.Soros.Soros.Soros.Soros.Soros.Soros.

Anyone else have a better answer?

Soros.Soros.Soros.Soros.Soros.Soros.Soros.

Ah, it looks like the story is picking up some momentum.

In late July, a mystery investor or hedge fund made a nearly $1 Billion bet that the US would lose their AAA credit rating, and on August 5th when S&P issued its downrade to AA+, that investor now stands to make a return of 1000%, and leads to serious questions of who the mystery trader is, and did they have insider information well before hand.

In 1992, George Soros nearly destroyed the British Pound, and made a profit of $1 Billion by betting agains the currency. The British government had been propping up the Sterling for some time, and this led to a weakness that Soros was able to exploit when rejection of the Maastricht Treaty led to a massive devaulation of the Pound, and a huge profit for his bet.

That belief, or perhaps knowledge of events is very similar to the bet placed against the American credit rating just two weeks ago.
www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   

I have already provided more than enough sources for you.
If you dont like Jack Barnes article I suggest you take it up with him.

You have merely repeated words that are not proven to be true by you or Barnes. Perhaps you should consider your source before investing so much belief in them.

Deny your ignorance and email him yourself. You are the one who wants to use his information and share it as true.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Well when you finally realize that your wrong, I want to know,
will you apologize?

www.dailymail.co.uk...

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join