It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I came to ATS to find open minds. Instead I found a majority of..

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Either only partially open minds and spirits, prejudiced ones, or outright skeptics- that's around 75% or so of what I've run into since I've come here. Either they believe some things and refuse to believe in others despite all the hard evidence or just deny everything. "Wer all mah open peoplez at?"

Trust me when I say this.. I know what denial is like. It happens when I don't want to believe something because it's awful. But, why do so many people on here seem to deny great things- new positive possibilities that could change this world for the much better very soon? Are they all or even half really just paid skeptics to keep the awesome possibilities down? You can say "Oh, well there hasn't been any proof" all you want. Of COURSE there hasn't because it is OBVIOUSLY being confiscated, hidden, or paid of by the people who don't want us to KNOW. Is that so hard to accept/understand, or am I really talking to a bunch of paid people who come here to spread unfaithfulness, untruth and hypocrisy? Therefore, is this thread really just pointless? You can tell me "There are going to be skeptics. That's just how it is." or "ATS is a place for all community to come talk about these topics." all you want, but that won't explain what I'm seeing here. Are so many people really this under control? There's no way in hell they're going to make me lose faith in the things I see coming, but really.. they do hinder progress, if you know what I mean. "If you're so knowledged, show us some proof!" You know, I would, if I could.. but one of two things are going to happen. Either I'll be arrested because it was too good, or it will be so outrageous in some way like 99% of people will just say "HAH! That's such crap leik no way that's happening!" simply because it's so amazing I 'MUST' be a hoaxer. Should there be an 'Above Secrets within Top Secrets' site. That's secreception, you know. Yes. I went there.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Don't let a few bad apples spoil the bunch! I've posted in lots of different forums....car forums, video game forums, dating forums, this is atypical of what you can find on any other message board, IMO. I do appreciate the skeptics that are out there to debunk some of the extraordinary claims that some members put forth. Logic isn't the bad guy here..

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Three

the simple answer is because the majority if people here are still part of the "majority"

they don't want to admit that

technically we can't really call them sheeple

I'm calling them no-bots

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
You'll find what you are looking for here, but you will also find some of just about everything you're not looking for here.

That is, in fact, what makes ATS fascinating, interesting, informative and entertaining.

If everyone here was of the mind you are looking for, this place would be dead and boring, and soon you'd be here all alone talking to yourself.

Is that what you really want?

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Three

Should there be an 'Above Secrets within Top Secrets' site. That's secreception, you know. Yes. I went there.

You can always try the Really Above Top Secret forum. But the posts are generally the same.

And nothing wrong with skepticism, it keeps the fraudsters/cult leaders on their toes.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Did you find ANY open minds? If you have found even one, I would say, you found what you are looking for.

Now, that said, remember this saying of mine. Always keep an open mind. But not to open. Your brain may fall out....

In other words, keep an open mind, but also keep common sense and logic. You will never find your answers to the questions you may have, with out all three.
edit on 7-8-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Having an open mind is one thing. Having an open mind to the point of weakness that allows for swaying of fact based convictions is another.

I believe that although many may come off as having a closed mind, it is also possible that these people are simply denying ignorance with solid facts and even instincts to keep them on their path.

There are many issues that I will not be swayed on. Does this make me close minded? No.

If an argument is presented in a well thought out and researched manner, I'll take the time to listen but I am close minded to opinions with no solid backing. That's when I close my mind.

I believe that if 75% of the members had a closed mind, there would be no use for ATS.

Just my 2 pennies.

edit on 7-8-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I'm certainly quite sceptical myself, but I'm open to ALL possibilities provided there's sufficient evidence to support them. I would never write something off just for the sake of it. The only thing I'm dogmatic about is not being dogmatic. But if something is blatantly cobblers, then I'll call it as such or simply ignore it. I know what you mean though, the line between scepticism and pseudoscepticism can be a rather thin one.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
A mod summed it up perfectly the other day -

Since ATS belongs to no major demographic, you will rightly or wrongly find skeptics, believers, conservatives, liberals, pro-movements, anti-movements, believers, deniers, religious folk, atheists, agnostics, people who believe in the supernatural , people who don't....

Mixed bunch = mixed opinions...

Personally I love it here. Plenty of people to debate with, plenty of people to share ideas and beliefs.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
cult leaders

I'm starting the boncho cult
if you join though, expect to be arrested for stalking
I'm not sure he's a willing participant

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
The majority of ATSer's are critical thinkers.

To be completely open-minded is to be a fool.

Trust me.

ALS

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
went down hill since ats went on assbook

still alright though..

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
You'll never find the truth with others that simply agree with you. The truth is found through debate. I'm glad that ATS is a melting pot of hearts, minds, and souls.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Three

You say you came to ATS to find open minds. I think you mean you came to ATS to find like-minded people.....

A group of like-minded people make for poor discussion.

Peace

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Liejunkie01 is a lone wolf......

Also known as a troll, I suppose

I believe in approaching something with common sense first....The problem there is, that many lack common sense.........on a level that just blows me away.(my own opinion there)

Oh, well
edit on 7-8-2011 by liejunkie01 because: grammar., I hope I got it

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Why have you concluded it is 75% of ATS? It may be 75% of who you have encountered but There is no way it is 75% of the entire board. It is actually just a small percentage There are a few vocal naysayers that jump on just about every thread to try and derail it but they are not the majority. Most of us just try to ignore them as much as possible.

Healthy scepticism is a good thing and there have been many many great threads here about what the future holds and good things to come. I'd say you are jumping the gun here in the short time you have been here and jumping to wrong conclusions with not enough information. The Science and Technology board and Philosophy and Metaphysics board have many great and positive threads on them along with several of the other boards.

link   
Don't. Worry about awakened sheep. They still follow a leader, only this time hiding behind another fence.

How to stop the awakening of peepz, just tell them they allready are awake and let them enforce the system by their attacks to it.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

link   
reply to post by Three

What specific topic are you talking about?

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Skepticism is the basic shovel to unearth Truth.
And not always the first rocks we find are part of it, maybe just debris.

reply to post by The Endtime Warrior

Man Im wearing a DEATH t-shirt right now!! with that logo printed in red at the back - what a great band !!!!

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Three

The Attack on Skeptics..

Ok, let me get this straight, you want people to blindly accept something without any proof now? Because that's what it sounds like in some parts of your opening post to me and let me be the first to say that's not going to happen anytime soon, not for me personally anyway, and I'm sure for a lot of others also. And rightly so might I add. After all, what's so wrong with questioning and requesting proof to back up our claims? You're talking like It's a bad thing. But, IMO, It's the only true way to actually know for sure whether we're closer to the truth with anything we're discussing here. I came to ATS because I wanted to learn, not accept something because it sounds real or because It's something everyone else here believed in and so on. I would hope It's the same for others..

Quite frankly this thread seems like yet another attack on those who are skeptical and I have to ask, why? Skepticism is a good thing and if anything, It's the reason why any real progress is going to be made in achieving our ultimate goal - finding truth. It forces us to question things and to decipher between fact and fiction. It doesn't hinder progress like you claim, It does the opposite in fact.

There's nothing wrong with being open-minded of course, unless It's total open mindedness like some have said so far, I'm open minded about a lot of things in fact. But I'm also skeptical at the same time simply because I feel It's the best way to learn about the type of topics we discuss on a daily basis.

Oh, and in regards to disinfo agents, or "paid skeptics": Personally I don't see why any would be here at all. Sorry, but we're really not that important to be targets in my opinion. It's not a popular idea, I know, but there you go..

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join