It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is this extreme phenomenon?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I'm desperately trying to find a word that means the EXACT opposite of "Sheeple".

Suggestions are requested and welcome.

We already know what a sheeple is right?
Lets look at the wiki definition.

The term is often used to denote persons who voluntarily acquiesce to a perceived authority figure's suggestion without critical analysis or sufficient research to understand the ramifications of that decision. By doing so, Sheeple undermine their own individuality and may willingly give up their rights. The implication of the term is that people fallaciously appeal to authority and believe or do what they are told by perceived authority figures who they view as trustworthy. The term is generally used in a political, social, and sometimes religious sense

There is also an an extreme opposite phenomenon. People who automatically deny everything any authoritative source says, simply because they are considered by the "sheeple" as an "authority".

If its in the MSM it must be a lie.
If NASA said it, it must be a lie.
If it was on TV, it must be a lie.
If its on youtube, it must be a lie.
If its in the Bible, it must be a lie.
If its related to politics, it must be a lie.
Etc. Etc. Etc.

My personal opinion (before you ask) is that there is a lot of truth mixed in with a lot of lies. My goal would be to try to sort it out.

I know this is not a new phenomenon either, which is why I'm surprised that I can't find an opposite term.

Any suggestions?

I would label people who fall in the middle, "independent" or "neutral", if that helps you come up with something.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Forevever

I think there already is a term.

PCT aka Paranoid Conspiracy Theorist

Edit to say: Or you could just call them crazies....I like that one.
edit on 5-8-2011 by Openeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   

uhhh.... how 'bout "wolfer" lol

Peace,

-AS-

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Free thinker

yut...

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by AeonStorm

LOL why wolfer?
PCT is pretty good
crazies is too mean I think, but it would fit - since people who think in extremes would be labeled by "psychologists" as "borderline personalities" and be given medication

ETA: Free thinker doesn't work - because the people I'm describing make blanket denials with zero evidence to back it up.

its like.... there's 3 sides to every story - yours, mine, and the truth

there are 3 types of people - Free Thinkers, Sheeple, and _________ (trying to fill in the blank here, crazies? PCT? whats a wolfer?
)
edit on 5-8-2011 by Forevever because: free thinking

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
It's called ICT
Insane conspiracy theorist.

link   
It's called ICT
Insane conspiracy theorist.
I have it too, I believe no one but GLP and ATS

edit on 5-8-2011 by Heartisblack because: (no reason given)

link   
They are still "sheeple"...as are we all.

We all just follow different shepherds.

link   
the wolf. the ‘lone wolf’, to be precise, is the opposite of a sheeple.

but then again, the term lone wolf is unfortunately and erroneously taken by some military type of killer and fighter behaving more like a pack wolf. a lone wolf is after survival only, is not a killer for ideological purposes, and always wants to be left alone.

also the term ‘anarchist’ comes to mind. the pure form of an anarchist. then again, this term also has been taken by some idea, that anarchy could be a political movement and that it could be implemented.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
crackpot?

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I think "truth seeker" would be a word most people would feel comfortable with.
They get called all kinds of things like "conspiracy theorists", and "Ufologists", but "truth seeker" is more generic.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   

the opposite of sheep would be a wolf

-AS-

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Try searching the term, 'paranoid'.

A lot of conspiracy theorists like to think that they are in on some massive secret that makes them feel a part of a special club. As someone put it:

They tend to enjoy the ego-boost that comes with thinking of oneself as the only intelligent objector in a world of sheeple

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Lot of great ideas - thanks for the explanations on "wolfer"

I think some of you aren't thinking in the "extreme" side though

I'm not talking about the "open minded"
I'm talking about the ones who follow the self proclaimed open minded (if that makes more sense)

I'm inclined to agree they are still "sheeple" just following a different shepherd

I really do like "wolfer" now - I might have to use it a couple times - see if it grows on me

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Griffo

I agree they might be paranoid - but I was hoping we could come up with a word that doesn't already have a perceived definition.

If you tell someone who is a conspiracy theorist that they're paranoid - they'd probably say "duh" or "that doesn't mean they're not watching me"

It doesn't have quite the same impact as calling a "follower" a "sheeple".

There's just no confusing what a sheeple is.
As you can see in my signature, I'm leaning towards wolfer

wiki says a wolfer is someone who hunts wolves though.... hmm....
edit on 5-8-2011 by Forevever because: better wording

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Well that would be the "black sheeple", or a "wolf in sheeple's clothing"

I have nothing against "black sheeple", so please don't acuse me of being racist

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by sean_uk

if you're racist, then the wolf is a cross dresser
"black sheeple" is a thought.... would we then have to denote regular sheeple as white ones?

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I would call them the living, breathing example of reverse psychology. But it amounts to the same thing. If one person believes everything, and one believes nothing, both are controlled. Mining for the truth that is there, and being open to the truth that is not, is a balance. And not much about our world right now is balanced.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
[more ]
some wolves are cross-dressers, but most of them are more like female impersonators or drag artists, and you get trans-species trannies or T-Wolves.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Forevever
reply to post by AeonStorm

ETA: Free thinker doesn't work - because the people I'm describing make blanket denials with zero evidence to back it up.

there are 3 types of people - Free Thinkers, Sheeple, and _________ (trying to fill in the blank here, crazies? PCT? whats a wolfer?
)
edit on 5-8-2011 by Forevever because: free thinking

I think I would have to go with "NoBots"

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join