It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I came to ATS to find open minds. Instead I found a majority of..

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

For me it is a bit of both...I do come here to indulge in my favourite things, especially if I have had a rubbish day...its a bit of escapism. I like to believe and to be open minded but I don't class myself as a fool, I'll leave the debates to others and move onwards and upwards...if I were more versed in certain subjects then I might make for a good argument or agreement, but for now Im kinda happy to join in or move along to another subject of interest

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Three

It is near impossible to convince the majority of the members here on ATS, but than again, the truth is so unbelievable that no one believes it.
Personally I think that 90% of the theories are "male cow manure" and 10% contains a part of the truth which gets largely ignored.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Three

being open minded doesn't mean that you believe in everything that comes along. think outside the box, but keep the box in sight.

i for one see no evidence that the government is made up of shape-shifting reptiles. am i a skeptic because i don't believe everything that everyone claims?

why do so many people on here seem to deny great things- new positive possibilities that could change this world for the much better very soon?

many new energy sources have been claimed on here, but i've only seen one or two that have promise. you can't get more energy out than you put in. the very best you can do is break even, and we can't even do that.

if you came here looking for a community that accepts everything as true, you would have found a community of fools.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by operation mindcrime
reply to post by Three

You say you came to ATS to find open minds. I think you mean you came to ATS to find like-minded people.....

A group of like-minded people make for poor discussion.

Peace

You just hit the nail on the head.If I were still a mod here, I would applaud you.

You are right, if we were all like minded,this would be a very boring website.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
if i just believe as soon as i see then i am a fool

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Sounds like this should be in the "Rant" section of ATS.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Three

Been an ATS'r for a at least 5 years. When I first stumbled upon this site I recall people getting excited about things- even though it was just speculation. Thats what actually made me enjoy this site. Was the fact that we could come here and have fun speculating and each person could bring a different position to the table.

However I have noticed within the last 2 years, things have gone down hill.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for skepticism- but nowadays it seems like some people get paid to sift through threads and shoot people's ideas down. Its one thing to say, "hey you guys might wanna see what this document says, maybe we have it wrong."

But all too often I see.

"are you guys serious? What a joke. You guys are dumb, this link proves it."

Even in threads where the OP just has an idea, there is still the dried up prune who has nothing better todo, but tell someone they are wrong, and on top of that, come up with a creative way to indirectly call them stupid.

I swear there is a league of people who pretty much reflect, those kids who thought they knew everything and told other kids they were dumb and constantly spoke down to their mates.

ATS, use to be fun and interesting. Now I come on and just see alot of hate and super skeptics.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Three

You are the ATS you are seeing limits in.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Forevever

Originally posted by vermonster
what, somethings wrong with ATS?

whaaaaa whaaaaa whaaaaa

leave or stfu

See, this is my problem.
This particular type of attitude is so pervasive - I can't even tell if you're kidding or not....
Trying to figure it out, post after post after post, is exhausting.

Well the smiley with the wink is a hint.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

I got more too!

"are you an idiot?"

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Forevever

I got more too!

"are you an idiot?"

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   

I totally agree with "maybe we're too sensitive"

I should keep stressing that this isn't an ATS phenomenon - it permeates all forms of my reality
so yeah the problem could very well be me.

maybe people are a little more psychotic today, or maybe my tolerance is down

by no means do my "generalizations" include everyone though ♥

its just what I keep seeing as normal human behavior, over and over and over

I'm so tired.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Why, because I do not wish to belong to the cult of Christianity? Or the cult of Islam? That makes me closed minded? I just happen to know a great deal about the Bibles and religion in general, that's all.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I think I know what you're saying, Three. I think you might be a little off on the percentages, but that's irrelevant.
There are quite a few people on this board who will deny everything. They skip the whole process of thinking things through, and instead automatically 'debunk.' Often times, their debunking involves them saying any statement that would debunk the theory. The problem is the statement is many times just their opinion. It's impossible to disprove that shape shifting reptilians exist, yet they always think because they say it's false, it is false. For these people, their proof is that they thought of it. Instead of actually reading David Icke, they automatically assume he's full of $#!7. I read some of David Icke. To me, it seemed as if he was talking metaphorically, not literally. But closed minded people here would never even think of reading what he has to say.
Then there's the people who get off on trolling, or just being an ass.
The slogan of this site is "Deny Ignorance." It isn't "Deny Everything You Disagree With."
Many people actually get offended that other people have different beliefs than they do.

edit on 7-8-2011 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Three

What do you consider open? If you told me you saw Bigfoot riding sidesaddle on Nessie while roping a Chupacabra...I'm going to be pretty closed-minded about that. Who were you hoping to find common ground with? What areas of ATS most interest you? Every subject has its devoted followers and just as devoted debunkers. They all congregate here. If you believe something, try to bring reason to the nay-sayers. If you don't, bring facts to shut them down. But don't complain that there's too much closed-mindedness on ATS just because there are many here that don't believe the same things you do.

/TOA

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Defining open minded is up to each person and their version of the truth that they convey to others . Accepted or rejected is for them to choose when you put it to a public forum . For better or worse , all things being equal . The negative or the positive that can shift the topic in different directions . Good cannot survive without the bad because both of them alone would not move forward if that is where they are supposed to be heading .

When giving a specific definition to someone or something is said to be that and only that . Forget that because it might be this . Heady topic when you delve into the possibilities and how far you want to go looking for the end of it all if there is an end .

The End

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
First of all, let us look at what is commonly known as "The Mind." Can anyone define the mind? It is not our brains, is it? That is a biological machine, much like the rest of our human bodies. I think the real mind is a form of energy, lets us say an energy matrix, and it is everywhere, all around us. Everyone is born with a connection to it, some enhance this connection, some make new connections. We live in the mind.

That being said, some think in a linear fashion, point A to point B thinking.
Linear thought. Some think is a multi dimensional way. Let me explain. When person "A" is presented with a problem that must be solved, person "A" will just look at the part of the problem he "sees" before him. When Person "B" is presented with a problem, person "B" sees the problem from all angles, up, down, sideways, inner, outer. This is multi dimensional thought.

Some people have a mind that is filled with "Beliefs." Beliefs are formed, usually at at early age, and a belief is set into stone, it rarely if ever changes. My own mind is filled with Ideas. Ideas can, and do change. New ideas come into the mix, are examined and compared with other ideas, and are either incorporated into the idea mix, or discarded. Sometimes a new idea will completely replace an old idea.

I would say that at least 50% of the members practice linear thought, while the other 50% practice multi dimensional thought. Thoughts?

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Three

Some of us aren't comfortable simply believing everything we see on these boards. Skepticism is a healthy defence against gullibility.

What some people consider to be "evidence" around here is often laughable. There are so many alternatte perspectives that a youtube video, or a persons testimony, completely fail to address.

Coming to this forum and assuming that everyone will believe the things you have to say is a rather ignorant approach. There is no place on the internet where things work that way.

I have heard the argument in your OP used by other posters, whose threads are eventually ridiculed to extinction. Not for lack of the readers open-mindedness, but out of his common sense.

Some refuse to be pulled along through another persons fantasy.
edit on 9-8-2011 by SPACEYstranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Well, honestly, most people here aren't as "different" as they'd like to think. There are some intelligent people here, but there are also some who are just as biased as anyone else.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Well, Ill contribute to this old thread. LOL! ATS is like that last old lonely donut in the box when you walk in the office. You have no idea who put it there, how long its been there, or even whats in it... but you gotta eat it anyway.. because its the LAST donut and it is calling to you. You try to ignore it, but it just niggles at your brain and your mouth starts to water. You chew through the tough stale exterior with the left overs of other old donuts stuck to the sides, but in the middle.., that jelly.. fresh like the day it was made.

Thus Spake Advantage 4/11

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join