It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I came to ATS to find open minds. Instead I found a majority of..

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ALOSTSOUL

There are a lot of critical thinkers here, yes, but I disagree that they make up the "majority".

But then I have this annoying habit of reading every post... I'm working on my "one liner" mental filter - so far its been counter productive - the more I try to ignore them - the more they get to me

Personal problem, I know....

at this point I'm just hoping its a temporary influx of glp refugees that will let up after a while (but it probably won't, its been the same people no matter where I go...)

in the meantime, the trolls accuse me of being a troll - which will probably turn me into a troll if it persists, I've felt real close to that edge, more than I like to admit - and if it doesn't subside, I'll be forced to go hide under a bridge

if you can't beat'm, join'm

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

LOL! Like this guy.
This place is like a hobby instead of collecting stamps you collect ideas. There are some cranky skeptics on here but its fun to see what people think about unusal ideas. Just smile, be polite, hold your own then move on. If all fails throw religion, Bob Lazar and John Lear in the mix and let chaos reign. Have a good day.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by operation mindcrime
reply to post by Three

You say you came to ATS to find open minds. I think you mean you came to ATS to find like-minded people.....

A group of like-minded people make for poor discussion.

Peace

could not have said it better myself

and as to the thread
open the mind up to much
and you have a very gullible person

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
You have to be a skeptic sometimes or life is just boring.

Without skeptics: "Was that a ghost!".. I guess so, move on.
With skeptics:"That place is haunted!".. Maybe we should explore it and assume its a plumbing problem before jumping to conclusions.

Without skeptics there is no "What if?".

edit on 7-8-2011 by Fishticon84 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
ATS is a hard sell sometimes, and of course not all people are the same. However, to balance it all out, there are good people here, who even through they may come across sounding rash, they are just expressing their own viewpoint. I simply agree to disagree with them.....

Keep your chin up kiddo.

edit on 8/7/11 by Druid42 because: misspelled a word...

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
My mind is open to anything,but I'm not a fool.
The few months I have been here has really opened my eyes to the truth.
Besides,isn't the ATS motto,
DENY IGNORANCE?

This place pushes you to educate yourself in so many different ways.
That is if you are willing to educate yourself .

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Three

I joined because I love a conspiracy theory, I also believe in spirits/ghosts/ufo's and many other strangely wierd and wonderful oddities. However, I used to belong to a forum where nothing was questioned, and everything was accepted as the truth, and trust me, after people have posted that they have had alien encounters/reptilian encounters, their mother was bred with an alien, there are vampires living next door and downtown is a secret porthole to the 'unknown' you do become slightly disheartened. I have had lots of various experiences, some very scary and others amazing...it is sad when people shoot you down and ask for photos, then go onto say that photo is a fake...but I think I prefer that, to 100% acceptance of every episode.

That being said, I dont have time for trolls or hoaxes, if someone says something happened i am willing to believe that 100% (even without photos) until something doesnt ring true, then I lose interest, and move onto another topic. Some topics I have been following for weeks, and will continue to if they draw me in enough...the ones that dont interest me I walk away from. I guess, there are those who have to question everything and everything...Im not one of those....although if I knew something was 100% the opposite of what was written, I 'might' say words to that effect. But...probably not...I'd rather find something else than spend hours disproving it.

I dont go for all the doom and gloom threads though...what I am talking about in particular are UFO/Ghost threads. The Elenin is going to frazzle us in october threads I just ignore

BTW Three, that is a gorgy BJD as your avvie, do you own it?

edit on 7-8-2011 by CherryV because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I couldnt have said it better, i've been visiting since the beginning here and its overly negative new ideas and the supportive evidence are almost completly criticised and removed before any feedback can be given.
There seems to be only certain versions of things that can be discussed, new threads of mine alone have not made it online for asking the wrong questions.
Unfortunatly there is a shortage of manners curtesy respect open minds.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Sometimes you just have to dig through a lot of dirt to find those diamonds.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
My mind is completely open, to what I can comprehend. You got any questions? I think I have a pretty good idea about whatsup.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Three

Explanation: Hmmm?

What are you here for?

Are you here for the lulz?

Are you here because you want to be part of a like minded community?

Or Are you here to deny ignorance?

Personal Disclosure: Denying Ignorance needs no company! It's an attitude that should pervade every aspect of ones life regardless of whether even 'God' approves!

If you want like minded company ... get your 200 posts done and get your ass...ets into chat!

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
what, somethings wrong with ATS?

whaaaaa whaaaaa whaaaaa

leave or stfu

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Three

That's 'cause we all want to believe but are smart enough to require proof.

Keep the faith, little sister.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by vermonster
what, somethings wrong with ATS?

whaaaaa whaaaaa whaaaaa

leave or stfu

See, this is my problem.
This particular type of attitude is so pervasive - I can't even tell if you're kidding or not....
Trying to figure it out, post after post after post, is exhausting.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
i have found a lot of great minds on this site in my time searching here
some have led me to research things in a new way and changed my thoughts on some subjects
some have led me to places and ideas that i have changed several times
all in all the people here are better than the corner cafe

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Forevever

Dont worry about people like that ignore him.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I believe when you announce that you have a "conspiracy site" it will immediately attract the skeptics that want to deny anything that could not outrightly be proven and that would alter the status quo. They are the most adamant and vocal and attracted to such places as this so that they would have some group they can attempt to bully.

There are other true skeptics who will not be taken in by smoke and mirrors and they are invaluable to have in the discussion. These folk will suspend disbelief temporarily if there is a shred of plausibility so that a theory could be developed and not immediately attempt to derail constructive theorizing.

There is another extreme that is entirely too gullible but generally their interest in such matters is a positive and on this site can develop the ability to take a more realistic approach. I like to believe we are all in a state of development and looking to find the best balance for a larger view of reality.

ATS has a variety of forums suitable for the most speculative and unprovable theories all the way to those requiring a much larger degree of proof. One can literally "grow" here in terms of their critical development. Even in these highly speculative forums there will be visits by "developing" bullies who require the easiest of targets. This is discouraged in those forums - read the forum headers and introductory statements to determine what is appropriate where - and if those attackers are not keeping within the spirit of that particular forum an alert to the moderators would be in order.

Overall, though, this site does little to develop speculative theories as those topics typically run into an impasse or run out of steam, get discussed, then put aside. Once a sufficient number of people arrive at an agreement that is about as far as most will care to take their theory so it remains there and not taken further. Hot topics work in a similar manner and this site serves as a convenient burial grounds when the topic cools off. When there is renewed interest someone usually points to a 5 year-old thread, claims it's already been done to death, the newcomer reads it and lets the bones lie, and is hopefully more fully informed on the matter.

Ultimately we will arrive to a point where there is nothing new under the sun, at least nothing of interest. In the case of nefarious conspiracies they will come to the conclusion that there will always be greedy and sinister factions plotting behind the scenes and there is little that can be done about it.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
The idea is to discover the truth, not indulge in your favorite fantasy. If wide-eyed belief in anything weird is what floats your boat, perhaps this is not the forum for you.
edit on 8/7/2011 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Three

I came to ATS to find open minds.

I am an open minded person. There are a lot of closed minds in here, especially the religious crowd. But, there are a of of open minds here. Have fun!

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Seems like you are pretty close-minded to me

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join