It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You'll live just as long if you drink and smoke

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

More people should be concerned with the QUALITY of life that they would have if they were healthy, not the quantity that they would get. The last several decades of life are crap for most people. Why make your younger years crappy too by damaging your body? I know that my quality of life has improved significantly in just a year of not smoking and drinking heavily.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Julie Washington
I firmly believe it's all in the genes.

I firmly believe in moderation.

Too much alchohol kills
Too much drugs kills
Too much tobacco kills.

It's all about how YOUR body's genes react to these.

My family has been a huge group of smokers and drinkers and the elders live into their 90's.

I also believe that the SUN does NOT cause skin cancer. You either have the cancer gene or not.

It's all about the DNA.

Outside the "normal" exposure to just about everything is cause for the body (and mind) to begin to destroy itself. (too little or too much) Choosing to not partake of known hazards, and choosing to engage in known good diet and exercise is all about the day-to-day quality of life. No one should live an illusion that just because you do everything right that you'll live longer and if you did the occasional spin-out partying that it'll mean the end for you.

Crossin' the road hit and killed by the beer truck. You never know.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Q:1984A:1776
reply to post by Maxmars

More people should be concerned with the QUALITY of life that they would have if they were healthy, not the quantity that they would get. The last several decades of life are crap for most people. Why make your younger years crappy too by damaging your body? I know that my quality of life has improved significantly in just a year of not smoking and drinking heavily.

Year 6 for me not a single drink and no more cigars. Workin' out maniac way past all the weights available of nearly every machine. Quality of life, day to day. I have a 6" hard steel pin I use to add 25 and 45 pound plates to the machines. (I'd probably get in trouble if caught overloading the machines) Endorphines are my only drug of choice.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
This thread could have went a whole different direction if the title was different by one word to say, "You'll live just as long as you drink and smoke."

haha. That would be an interesting thread.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Hmmm, many of you state that it is up to genetics..
I always find this interesting,..
I have recently (within the last year) researched information about the body PH
and when you look at it,. it can make great sense..
everybody has a weak link, something in their body that will fail if it abused..
I personally dont believe it has to be up to genetics, if you at least attempt to balance
your body..
Living an acidic life will cause the breakdown of tissue that brings on illnesses.
and moderation IS the key to everything,., you are at least giving your body a chance to recover..
Although ,.to me .. smoking is just plain stupid.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I never equated the good diet & exercise lifestyle promotion to equal longevity, as we have no control over our final day. The difference is in the quality of life one has according to the lifestyle which they lead.

A person that eats well, abstains from alcohol & tobacco use and enjoys regular exercise probably feels much better every morning than the person who eats poorly, smokes, drinks and uses exercise machines to hang clothes from.

Starting in grade school I was very turned off and away from athletics, sports and exercise by the predominant attitudes and traits exhibited by many students inclined toward those activities. High school held a much grander scale of obnoxious behavior displayed by many athletes. As in most public schools I also saw large doses of preferential treatment and favoritism by teachers and administrators to those who participated in extracurricular athletic programs. It even affected where school funds were spent and withheld.

There are personal, familial, social, economic and class issues which come into play which influence whether or not a person will adopt a supposedly healthy lifestyle. A muscular baboon may have a wonderful long life but I'd rather be the wise old owl.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
If you don't drink and smoke it just FEELS like you are living twice as long.

I know which I would prefer! LOL

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Praise the LORD!!!!

As a rather heavy drinker this is very welcome news for me. Thank you for bringing this up.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
One word: Lemmy. That is all.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by edgecrusher2199

"If they drop a nuclear bomb, all that will survive is lemmy and cockroaches"-motorhead fan

Brilliant call, I've been trashing Damaged case all morning, certainly seems to cure my ailments.....

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   
It's all about quality of life - if you smoke and drink, your quality of life won't be too good and depending on how much you do it - quality of life could be very bad.

Quantity of life is another matter entirely - You are given X amount of heart beats and when they're used up - that's it - so don't stress or do too much exercise - You'll use them up.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   
The fact of the matter is, if just one person lives a full life while drinking and smoking, there is a reason. Bottom line.
What else can it be other than genetics?

Deebo
edit on 5-8-2011 by Deebo because: add

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

the ghost of amy whinehouse says you are mistaken , george best seconds the motion
edit on 5-8-2011 by ignorant_ape because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   
In other news,

We have centenarians enough to study nowadays.
Imagine saying that a hundred years ago.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Welshextremist
reply to post by Maxmars

the problem with most of these studies is

whos funding them

I am going to guess Altria and Skyy.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Drinking!!!!!

and a

Smoking!!!!!

Dawg!!!!

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by sir_slide
reply to post by Maxmars

Praise the LORD!!!!

As a rather heavy drinker this is very welcome news for me. Thank you for bringing this up.

As a recovered alcoholic that had to quit because of the physical damage done to my pancreas by alcohol consumption, something tells me to wait a little bit on breaking out the celebratory champagne.
edit on 5-8-2011 by Kitilani because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Fear and stress is the guarantee to a short life

Also velocity impacts.

Clean tobacco and good quality booze is not a problem. It is the preservatives and chemicals that kill.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   
All those on my father's side lived beyond 95 and were all big drinkers & smokers; those on my mother's side barely made it to 70 and none were drinkers & smokers.

It's all about good genes, eating plenty of fresh produce, staying reasonably active and drinking/smoking within moderation.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by edgecrusher2199
One word: Lemmy. That is all.

for every Lemmy or Ozzy, theres 100 dead musicians.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join