It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You'll live just as long if you drink and smoke

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by guessing

Even organic tobacco will damage you unfortunately, when you burn tobacco you produce carcinogenic chemicals. Benzene, benzopyrene and several nitrosamines to name a few.

Edit:There was research done by two groups on a brand of organic cigarettes called American Spirit, and both of the studies concluded the fact that they still contained toxic chemicals.

Preformed tobacco-specific nitrosamines in tobacco—role of nitrate and influence of tobacco type
edit on 5/8/2011 by Griffo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I know that this study... which I have yet to find... strains our understanding of healthy living....

There are at least a few things we can say from the article.

The study group appears to be a select narrowly-defined type of person, namely, Ashkenazi Jews, which really only tells us about the regionality of their heritage. It appears however, that we could at least theorize that this groups heritage also implies cultural differences between the "modern industrialized" human types, which are generally induced by society in the west to be type "A" (for the sake of pursuing success) and subject to social stresses that were generally distinct from less complex villager dwelling types who generally don't worship social ladder-climbing and material wealth.... although that is an assumption.

Also, that these people generally live longer is not 'news' per se, their diets are simpler, more natural, and certainly less haphazard than what we would consider "normal."

For some reason this study has rubbed people the wrong way. I can't say that I share the sensitivity. I am among those whose ancestors didn't suffer ill health from what we would consider 'bad habits' involving tobacco and alcohol consumption. This makes me inclined to subscribe to the "all-things-in-moderation" school of thought, which might be naive to a certain degree.

But I wanted to thank all of you who gave serious thought and reflection to the OP so far.... I've learned from you.

MM

edit on 5-8-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by guessing

Fear and stress is the guarantee to a short life

Also velocity impacts.

Clean tobacco and good quality booze is not a problem. It is the preservatives and chemicals that kill.

Bull.

In 2007 (the most recent year numbers are available)— * 203,536 people in the United States were diagnosed with lung cancer, including 109,643 men and 93,893 women.*† * 158,683 people in the United States died from lung cancer, including 88,329 men and 70,354 women.*†

Cirrhosis and chronic liver disease were the 10th leading cause of death for men and the 12th for women in the United States in 2001, killing about 27,000 people each year.[23] Also, the cost of cirrhosis in terms of human suffering, hospital costs, and lost productivity is high. Established cirrhosis has a 10-year mortality of 34-66%, largely dependent on the cause of the cirrhosis; alcoholic cirrhosis has a worse prognosis than primary biliary cirrhosis and cirrhosis due to hepatitis. The risk of death due to all causes is increased twelvefold; if one excludes the direct consequences of the liver disease, there is still a fivefold increased risk of death in all disease categories.[24]

And that's not even including other deaths caused by smoking and drinking, like emphysema or involuntary manslaughter while under the influence.

It may be true that you would live just as long as a life if you don't develop these deadly conditions.

Not to mention the social effects of smoking and drinking. Drinking might be okay in moderation, but smoking is just stupid. It doesn't do anything for you except make you cough and deplete your finances. It also has a repulsive odor to non-smokers. It's actually pretty selfish.

<< 2  3  4   >>

join