It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Go to Walmart, Get Deported

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
"Wal-Mart Goes Nuclear Over Chicken Necks; Newlyweds Lose House; Husband Deported"

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (CN) - Newlywed shoppers claim Wal-Mart's false accusation that they tried to steal $2.90 worth of chicken neck bones caused the wife to be falsely arrested and lose her job, her husband to be deported, and both to lose their car, all their possessions and their house - though Wal-Mart's security video showed they had paid for the damn chicken bones.

Mary Hill Bonin was held on charges of Theft of Property in the Third Degree.
Adamsville Wal-Mart is believed to have called INS and had Mary Hill Bonin's husband deported. Mary Hill Bonin was denied bail and was not taken before a magistrate. Wal-Mart and Adamsville police failed to make a proper investigation causing Mary Hill Bonin to be arrested and to remain in jail without probable cause. On the date of the arrest, on July 1, 2007, the security officer for Adamsville Wal-Mart, called Wal-Mart in Alabaster accusing plaintiff of shoplifting or theft, a crime of moral turpitude and slanderous per se. This act of calling the Alabaster Wal-Mart by the Loss Prevention Officer of Adamsville Wal-Mart, was intentional, with malice, and made with the intention of causing the plaintiff to suffer with a bad reputation or to suffer consequences of being labeled a thief. ...
"As a result of being in jail and being accused of being a thief, plaintiff Mary Hill Bonin lost her home, her car, all of her personal belongings and her husband was deported. Mary Hill Bonin seeks punitive damages for loss of income, loss of personal property, lost profits, lost time and imprisonment, libel and slander, mental anguish, intentional infliction of emotional distress, false arrest, malicious prosecution, slander, negligence and conversion." And she wants Wal-Mart enjoined from searching and accusing customers without proof.

I realize that the source isn't all that neutral, but it seems like a pretty clear story of discrimination by Walmart security. It sounds like the security guard needs a good swiftkick to the face for his ignorance if you ask me.

Has anyone else heard of this case? I would like to know if this security guard still has a job or not.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I'd sue the PANTS off of Wal Mart.

This is so illegal and false accusations from an over zealous walmart rent a cop!

I have worked in retail and you are not allowed to accuse anyone of theft unless you see them take it. You can't approach people either unless you SEE them do it.

This rent a cop needs to be tossed on his can!

How in the world did this even make it to court with all the evidence! Also the cops who arrested her should be fired imo. If they knew the story of the incident when they arrived and that the customer HAS a receipt showing they paid how in the heck can they arrest her??!!

I'd OWN that Wal Mart and i am not about suing but this is a case where it is completely valid to sue...and I hope she sues for MILLIONS!

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
One just does not get deported just because their wife is accused of shoplifting.

The husband must have been in this country illegally.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
If he was here illegally then it shouldnt matter how it came to the authorities attention. they acted accordingly, dont see a big shocker here.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by brokedown
One just does not get deported just because their wife is accused of shoplifting.

Did you read the article?

Apparently not.

They had only been married a few months and he wasn't a citizen yet. If she was his provider or sponsor of sorts and lost everything yea he can be deported. He could have run out on his visa and this didn't help their situation.

The entire story is messed up period!

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Seems like there are missing parts to this story or it is some kind of troll attempt to sympathize with illegals. Hmmm.
edit on 2-8-2011 by BIGPoJo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by tyson45
If he was here illegally then it shouldnt matter how it came to the authorities attention. they acted accordingly, dont see a big shocker here.

Actually, they did not act accordingly. Did you even read the article?

My first question I have to ask is how does a security guard have the authority to tell the Assistant Manager what to do?

For those who have failed to read the article, and clearly there are some already, the "stolen" property was actually listed on the bottom of the receipt. The Assistant Manager DID watch the video and DID tell the guard that the video shows the customers scanning the property.

Bonin and her husband, "Ricky," say they offered 4 times to scan the chicken bones again, and asked the Wal-Mart guards to look at the security video "if they thought they did something wrong. Plaintiff told them the camera would show that they scanned the items purchased." The guard refused to look at the video, but an assistant manager did. The complaint continues: "The assistant manager said in presence of plaintiff and her husband: 'I see where she scanned it, I see where it's been rung up.' Plaintiff responded: 'I did scan it, I told you.' Ricky, plaintiff's husband said I'll pay for it again if you want me to. The assistant manager then said to the security guard: 'Well what do you want to do?' The security guard said he wanted to put plaintiff and her husband in jail."

I have to wonder if this security guard was a real security guard or was he actually a cop who was doing private security work on his off time?

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
The artcicle didn’t say if they showed the requested id.
How long was she in jail? Again, the article didn't say. You don’t loose your job home, car, all personal belongings Especialy with walmart for being innocent, it takes a Lot to loose all these things, it just does.
There is most definitely more to this story.
Husband was an illegal so got deported as it should be.
“Damn chicken bones” in Obviously biased article; too much pertinent info left out.
Bail denied even with evidence saying they were innocent barely possible but not likely, they must have been held for other reasons besides shoplifting; Shoplifting accusation just brought them to the front.
Police don’t usually arrest if there is a video saying people are innocent.
Illegal alien Husband Rickey’s last name Bonin; I doubt it.
Why did guard have to scream? I bet there was a reason that the article left out.
Alleged shoplifters knew hubby was an illegal alien so they suffer consequences of their own actions.
I would like to see the outcome of this trial if it even comes to that and for goodness sake give this woman her $2.90.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   

If you read the article, they just got married and he wasn’t a “Legal” citizen yet, That doesn’t mean he didn’t have a green card, or a temporary visa… (which would be revoked if he were to be arrested)… some people on here are so quick to jump on other peoples backs.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

Isn't Walmart in the spy business anyway. I wouldn't recommend frequenting that establishment:

Walmart Partners with U.S. Department of Homeland Security in "If You See Something, Say Something"
walmartstores.com...

Dirty Nazi bastards.
edit on 8/2/2011 by this_is_who_we_are because: typo

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Britx

The article was so vague on almost everything that I doubt 'Rickey' had any green card or visa.
I Wonder how long he had been in America illegaly as if that should make a difference.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

There are many many reasons to boycott devilmart - it didn't get that name for nothing.
Plus michell loves it so in my eyes that makes it very suspect as well.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Yeah....way more to this story. But, the op is ignorant enough to read such tripe and go off half cocked....which is the problem with this country. People don't understand reality, so half assed stories like this ways find an audience. Sad.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by MainLineThis
Yeah....way more to this story. But, the op is ignorant enough to read such tripe and go off half cocked....which is the problem with this country. People don't understand reality, so half assed stories like this ways find an audience. Sad.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

Thanks for the comment

Actually, for your information, I got this off of another website that posts alternative news and has a section for observers to comment (in the most uncensored fashion too).

The thing about the article is about discrimination, specifically a brand of person known as "sh!t disturbers". The security guard went out of his way to pick on these two people, ignored the fact that they did nothing wrong, overruled his assistant manager, told lies to the police, and then even went as far as to contact another Walmart where the wife worked to inform them that she was charged for theft (which was a lie) that resulted in her being fired.

The fact is that non of the resulting problems would have happened if it wasn't for the aggressive actions carried out by this security guard. Since the couple was obviously not domestic, what say could they have against some domestic, power hungry security guard?

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

So I say well done door guard if it got an illegal alien deported.
I also say this article is to vague to make out anything except the fact that an alien got deported and she didn't get h er $2.90 back.
I truely doubt the door guard just picked a random shopper becaues one of them looked mexican (that is what you're saying right?) because at walmart and everywhere else there are many many mexicans.
The security guard had just cause for checking the alleged shoplifters or even this article would have said so. All it said was this:
"The Bonins left and showed their receipt to the greeter and door guard, who accused them of stealing the neck bones. According to the complaint, things got out of hand pretty fast" Why did things get out of hand? Did guard get fired for false accusation; this article would surely have said so.
naww kudos for the guard for being alert and glad we're rid of one more criminal invader

edit on 2-8-2011 by AmericanDaughter because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by AmericanDaughter

You miss one big point. If he was married to a citizen, then he is not an "illegal". However, if the paperwork was not finished and he was to be arrested, he would be deported. That is procedure. The problem here is, he didnt actually do anything to be arrested. He paid for the product that he was accused of stealing. The video shows he was not stealing. That means he should not have been arrested to begin with. Get it?

ANd for what reason are you praising this security guard? Being alert? There is always a greeter or guard at the door who checks you receipt and then checks your bags. That is his job. He was not being "alert", he was doing what he was supposed to do. The problem here however is that this idiot guard couldnt read. The receipt clearly showed the product as being paid for. So what are we to praise this guy for? Being illiterate?

edit on 2-8-2011 by MrWendal because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-8-2011 by MrWendal because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Britx

If you read the article, they just got married and he wasn’t a “Legal” citizen yet, That doesn’t mean he didn’t have a green card, or a temporary visa… (which would be revoked if he were to be arrested)… some people on here are so quick to jump on other peoples backs.

A person can't become "legal" by marrying a Citizen. And if he is illegal the "wife" needs to be arrested for aiding and abetting a criminal(as he he was in the country illegally). I could imagine a job firing someone in that region for being married to an illegal.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   
If they were not married in this country, he is illegal 3 weeks 3 years doesn't matter. As far as Wally World they are pretty much dicks, but when you in their "house" you agree to abide by their rules no matter how retarded they are as long as they don't violate the law or you civil rights. That will be up to the court, I wouldn't hold my breath.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   
I’d wait on this one to hear the other side of the story, what’s written does not add up. However, security guards have been known to be act like cop-wanna-be’s and do all kinds of overzealous stuff, so who knows.

One thing I will say. Never voluntarily let a security guard detain you, or take your ID. Security guards are not police officers, and they do not have the right to make a “Terry Stop” as a law enforcement officer does (there are some exceptions, such as guards on government contractor sites, who may have limited police powers). If you do not voluntarily stop, and they hold you, they better have a rock solid case to back up their citizens arrest, because if they do not, in most states, you can civilly sue the pants off them and their employer for false imprisonment.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5
I’d wait on this one to hear the other side of the story, what’s written does not add up. However, security guards have been known to be act like cop-wanna-be’s and do all kinds of overzealous stuff, so who knows.

One thing I will say. Never voluntarily let a security guard detain you, or take your ID. Security guards are not police officers, and they do not have the right to make a “Terry Stop” as a law enforcement officer does (there are some exceptions, such as guards on government contractor sites, who may have limited police powers). If you do not voluntarily stop, and they hold you, they better have a rock solid case to back up their citizens arrest, because if they do not, in most states, you can civilly sue the pants off them and their employer for false imprisonment.

I'm not sure how different the rules are for US security guards from those in Canada. I have my security training and I have basically the same authority as any other civilian. The only time I can detain anyone is if I see a crime happening and I read them the rules (and they can just leave by choice if I am "detaining" them). I can arrest someone only as a citizen's arrest, which means there must be a serious crime taking place.

Even then, it is my duty as a BC licensed security professional to run in response to any violence or I become an insurance liability for whatever company I work for

top topics

<<   2 >>

join