It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Famine in East Africa: Why Does Nobody Care?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousFem
I think you will find I am a female, and not a male so yes your quite wrong on all your comments.

I think you misunderstood. I was saying the phrase "think of the children" is the brother to the race card. They are both lame attempts at making the other person look like an asshole.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Adyta

I actually don't care sounds racist to me, as much as your other comment does, the rude one also. Just shows the vulgarity in your nature.....

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousFem

I'm not trying to be rude, and I don't mean to sound rude with my next sentence, but....

Sense. Please start making some.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Wirral Bagpuss

Good for you for donating to UNICEF. Did you request a thorough look at their expenditures for the past 5 financial years and ow much of it really goes to the Africans? Only 10c in the dollar ever makes it there!

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kram09
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

Ah...you're American.

Now it makes sense.

The country where more people have Facebook profiles than passports.

Yeah, Its beacause we dont want to visit other countries that are crappier than our own.
edit on 31-7-2011 by Frankenchrist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   

I have always been curious as to what organization is the most legit. I have read and heard that many keep the majority of the money and very little goes to the cause they are actually supporting. It is so hard to know nowadays. If anyone can shed some light, please share.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by CrankyPantsUK

Slavery and segregation are two entirely different concepts. Being segregated didn't force you to work for nothing and live in a shack on a plantation. You had control over your own body and actions. It has nothing to do with perception at all.

Discrimination and slavery are two vastly different states of being.
edit on 8/1/2011 by mnmcandiez because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   

I agree in the early 90s i was in the Army i volentiered to go to Somalia to help distribute Water and food for the U.N.,But sadly my commander informed me that because i was married with kids i could not go ? it was only long after that i had found out that the situation there was critical and violent. i also found out that the U.N. was stopping troops from interviening. The U.N. dropped food and the people it was supposed to feed never got it,and militia would shoot unarmed civilians trying to get it ? VerySAD ,i watch on the news time and time again the U.N. stops troops from helping.Not always of course ! But i must admit with regaurd to Africa its a total Heartwrenching shame

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Adyta
I look at the famine in Africa, and honestly, I'm done giving a damn. Why? I think we need to stop helping Africa because they REFUSE to help themselves. They sit in their mud huts all day and bang out a kid every nine months, and don't make any effort to learn anything that would help them. They just walk over to the Peace Corps tent 3 times a day and get their free food.

We've been sending them assistance constantly for decades. We send Peace Corps volunteers to teach them how to grow crops, build structures more advanced than dirt and water, dig wells, domesticate animals, etc. and they STILL cannot take care of themselves. The only conclusion is a complete unwillingness to learn.

We send UN troops to defend them against gangs and death squads, and they kill the UN troop for his iPod or his watch.

And you want ME to continue to care? You want me to feel bad for them? Look at every other nation on Earth, and you'll see it's only the African ones that have not advanced beyond the stone age... actually, they havn't yet even advanced into the stone age.

Africa had their chance. We tried to help, yet they refuse to put forth any effort to help themselves. Instead, they would rather starve to death on some of the most fertile farm land on the planet.

I say we just sit back and let natural selection run it's course.
edit on 7/31/2011 by Adyta because: (no reason given)

Actually you and your people as a collective are the reason Africa is primarily still in the state that it's in. But I guess it's easier to pretend you've been generously helping them for the last century than face up to the reality of your capitalist exploitation.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Egyptia

I have always been curious as to what organization is the most legit. I have read and heard that many keep the majority of the money and very little goes to the cause they are actually supporting. It is so hard to know nowadays. If anyone can shed some light, please share.

Most Charities do keep the money, but that's required to raise as much as they do.

So lets say Oxfam raises 700 million a year, and only 200 million gets through their 'system' (these figures are just hypotheticals), that's 500 million that hasn't gone to charity! but still 200 million that has...

Contrast that with charities that don't pay staff and don't have global operations - despite the fact they might be giving 90-100% of what they raise, what they raise never comes close to what's needed.

If someone knocks on your door trying to get you to sign up to a charity they'll more often than not be on a fixed-wage or commission, maybe $30 for every person they sign-up or something like that.

People hate that, and charities should be more than open about this so they don't come across as deceptive. Because when the Sun sets, despite a sizeable % of money gone to the running of the charity, a huge amount still gets through. An amount that wouldn't be achievable without having paid staff members, giant marketing budgets, high quality operations managers etc

Some individuals are on stupid wages though and really need to have a hard look at themselves. There's people making half a mil a year working for charities

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:45 AM
link   
reply to post by NadaCambia

Don't just attack capitalism as the Communist Chinese are in Africa rapping the land and resources in exactly the same manner.

Your liberal bias is showing that it doesn't know what its talking about.

Maybe you should throw more money at the problem because that fixes everything. Like their education systems.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Its not that people don't care. Many americans truly do care about the rampant starvation that takes place in some of these third world countries.

And just so you know, we as a country have made great efforts in providing aid, only to generally fail to have the food ever reach the people who need it most.

Look up the Battle Of Mogadishu, and you'll see this first hand. I lost a friend in Somalia, an Army Ranger, who was there only to fight the rich and pwerful Somalian warlords who were seizing the shipments of food, and keeping for themselves, while hundreds of thousand of men women and children all suffered and starved to death in the streets.

When you lose a close friend to barbarian minded people who cannot see that our troops were there only to help them, it leaves a bad taste in your mouth. Its not as simple as just saying 'hey let's go drop some food to these people'

I strongly suggest watching or rewatching 'black hawk down'

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Im going to tug the cynical line here and say that "people just don't care about black and brown people dying". While this isn't entirely true, most people just don't care about dark skinned people dying of hunger. This is not my belief however and I have been closely monitoring the situation in the horn of Africa specifically Somalia.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by MasterGemini
reply to post by NadaCambia

Don't just attack capitalism as the Communist Chinese are in Africa rapping the land and resources in exactly the same manner.

Your liberal bias is showing that it doesn't know what its talking about.

Maybe you should throw more money at the problem because that fixes everything. Like their education systems.

The "Communist Chinese" are Capitalists. It's about time some of you people actually got beyond the front cover of a book and educated yourself some.

Just because they call themselves a Communist party doesn't make them so. In no way, shape or form is China a Communist naiton. China is Capitalism on steroids, they're a neo-mercantilist State.

Please explain to me how a) China's economy is Communist, b) China's government is Communist. And please, try and do so without mentioning the bloody CPC

And what would fix Africa is if invading forces such as America and China actually left them alone and stopped meddling with their markets and controlling their governments by proxy. But it's easier to blame Communism. Next you'll be pulling out the Radical Islam card

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   
when i saw the bush clinton haiti fund commercial i had an awakening!! these organizations dont give money to these people.haiti is worst off than it was before the big earthquake. theres is a war on the black race and i know people dont really believe this. this is why i think barack obama is even in office. this is bigger than welfare or any sort of aid. it also explains katrina in our great country. it has been said that when the dna of the black race activates everything on earth will be affected in an instant for their 12 strands are so powerful it will make the earth tremble. tptb are afraid of that!!

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   
You do recall the movie “Blackhawk Down?” that is a true story. The US and many nations do indeed send aid to Africa. However the current warlord in charge takes this aid for himself, and his army, leaving the populace to starve. So the UN decided to do something about it, and a UN force went to Somalia to stop the warlord from hijacking the aid shipments. Well all that happened was a bunch of US military troops got shot, quite a few civilians got killed in the crossfire, and the world had one more reason to hate the warmongering US. Every time there is some civil liberty issue in a country the world cries for the UN and thus by default the US to step in and fix it. However, when this leads to a conflict with the locals those very same people cry about how the US is oppressing the world and they should mind their own business. Unfortunately it can’t be both ways. If you expect the US to somehow force a corrupt regime to give the aid that IS going to the country to the citizens, there will most likely be violence and then the very citizens the US is trying to protect get caught up in yet another armed conflict. This is nothing new to most African countries mind you. This is a constant state of affairs there. The only hope for that continent is for the people living there to want to be saved, as it is it is far easier to live the life of corruption and greed. Until they can contain the greed and vice in the countries, no amount of aid will ever work.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Quite simply, the greater part of Africa is run by totalitarian dictators, even the AU is headed by a tyrant. these leaders simply don't care for the less educated and desperate the people at ground level are the easier it is to play them like puppets and canon fodder.

The rest of the world simply can't afford to help them because for every dollar that goes to aid, 2 dollars go into the pockets of those governments. So its a losing battle.

Only way to save Africa is with a one world government whereby the "world police" can go and arrest those people, but yeah its sad to say that no one can do anything its pointless.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Yeah you evil Yanks! Its your fault.
Would be even funnier though if the Ethiopians had money to spend on their own starving people yet spent it on something that their government thought was more valuable........You know, like 200 tanks worth 100 million dollars.

www.ethiosomali.com...:ethiopian-premier-confirms-government-buying-200-tanks&catid=1:latest-news &Itemid=50

Funny isnt it how the Yanks are going broke yet everybody still turns to them and expects more from them.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by 12 stranded dna
when i saw the bush clinton haiti fund commercial i had an awakening!! these organizations dont give money to these people.haiti is worst off than it was before the big earthquake. theres is a war on the black race and i know people dont really believe this. this is why i think barack obama is even in office. this is bigger than welfare or any sort of aid. it also explains katrina in our great country. it has been said that when the dna of the black race activates everything on earth will be affected in an instant for their 12 strands are so powerful it will make the earth tremble. tptb are afraid of that!!

Hahahahaha

Second line

Hahahahaha

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Not really. It is not my concern. I am more concerned about our problems here. Since I support ending ALL foreign aid, you should realize that I do not want the government to do anything about other countries issues. We need to fix our problems now.

I totally agree with this and I am not American. For over 40 years large parts of Africa have received AID yet nothing has changed. Africa is a welfare continent and until they start providing for themselves nothing will change.

Personally I would like to see all AID to every country stopped. I am sure someone will pipe up about how we kept them down used them as cheap labour and so on but I don't care it should not mean that we need to keep feeding, clothing and medicating large parts of Africa for the rest of time.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join