It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Dirty Secret In Your Glass Of "Healthy" Orange Juice - Proof That Globalism = Nasty Feces

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
To be honest I'm probably still going to drink orange juice and not care.
Nothing has happened to me yet and I don't think anything will that's related to OJ.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
This Thread is quite timely. Here's what happened last week regarding a glass of OJ:

I was visiting a friend last week and we were sitting at her kitchen table. She was drinking a small glass of Orange Juice, specifically, TROPICANA ORANGE JUICE, and all of the sudden she jumped up from the table and was screaming as she was spitting the juice out into the kitchen sink. I was startled. I asked her what was wrong. I couldn't figure out why she was so crazed and I couldn't imagine what was wrong. After she spit out the OJ and composed herself, she said she was positive she tasted manure. I said, "What, how could that be". I don't drink commercial OJ and I didn't know this was possible.

We held the remainder of the orange juice in the glass up to the sunlight coming through the kitchen window and we didn't see anything brownish or discolored (disgusting). When we smelled the juice, although we didn't smell manure or poop (disgusting) it certainly did NOT have that sweet scent of OJ ... like it's supposed to have ... now we know why.

I saw Food, Inc and I also know the food supply is tainted and as effed-up as can be, and I'm aware of Monsanto's Frankenfoods and poison seeds ... however, manure in OJ? She said she was positive it was a teeny bit of manure b/c she said it tasted just like the stench and smell of manure when she visits the local farms to purchase her produce. She said that 'without a doubt', it was a teeny bit of manure in that particular gulp of OJ. Although, she didn't vomit, she had severe diarrhea for the rest of the day, and a few hours later a raging migraine. It was awful.

So, while she was washing her mouth and gargling with some anti-bacterial concoction she had, I went out right away and bought her a 6-pack of these really high-quality (refrigerated) ProBiotics that the local grocery chain sells, and she took a double-dose of these PB's every single day for over a week. So, she was sick for the first 8-hours until these PB's really took effect, but she has continued to take all of the PB's, just in case.

What if a pregnant woman or a toddler or young child or an individual with a compromised immune system had swallowed this? ... I'm thinking e.Coli. Disgustingly awful. Someone could die from this and never even trace it back to the OJ. They could also become so sickly that they become seriously dehydrated, which can carry life-long consequences, such as kidney disease, for one.

I rarely drink OJ (too acidic) but when I do drink it, I fresh-squeeze the oranges with the compact citrus-juicer I keep on my counter-top and I wash the oranges off first OR once in awhile I buy Odwalla brand or the local grocers OJ which is fresh-squeezed right in front of you. It costs a little more but it's well worth it and I just drink a little less since it is a bit more costly. You get what you pay for.

Thanks for the Thread. I'll pass this on to my friend who is still freaked out over this recent incident.

By the way, if this should ever happen (hope not) anyone can take Probiotics, even pregnant women and babies. If one is lactose-intolerant, then take dairy-free PB's. The PB's probably saved her life. If the PB's are 'live', high-quality they do work ... otherwise they're useless and ineffective.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by fusionhunter
To be honest I'm probably still going to drink orange juice and not care.
Nothing has happened to me yet and I don't think anything will that's related to OJ.

I would keep OJ in there. Yes, it does have man made vit C, which I worked with in a lab setting a score of years ago and learned that it appears to be one good substitute for the natural occurring variety. I have taken it before and learned that, pardon me, if your peeing green you have enough for today. Processed OJ with man made C, beats Corn chips anyday. I prefer Juicy Juice products for my processed juices. Now is someone saying lump that line in too? I hope not but it is true that depleting the Oxygen will keep various compounds preserved as the exposure to oxygen causes, drum rolllllllllllllllllllllllllll please,

oxidation (well of course it would).

Oxidation can be good or bad. Good when it is used to kill bacteria, bad when it causes rust in metals. And iron in the blood is the reason for our complex uptake of O2. We are saved by that form of oxidation. Worry more about fake food sold as real food in the box. Buy more raw and whole foods to help beat the system. Once enough consumers voting with our dollars kicks in, bad food will go away or at least take a back seat on the shelves at the local stores.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Simply disgusting, what does this mean?
It means globalism is always a disgusting path because the best fresh quality will always come from a decentralized free market economy

Please explain how a "decentralized free market economy" would help this situation....with NO regulations, wouldnt they be able to do EVEN MORE disgusting stuff to our foods? How would removing guidelines help?

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anoynymoose
And the moral of the story...

Don't drink orange juice, eat a orange!

Make sure you wash it first though after peeling. At least rinse with water.

edit on 30-7-2011 by Anoynymoose because: (no reason given)

Best reply to this whole thread. If at all possible eat fresh. Unfortunately, many cannot afford to eat in such a healthy manor. Even so, all produce and fruit has been altered in one way or another. Unless you grow it yourself? And there again?

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   

edit on 31-7-2011 by kykweer because: double post i blame lack of patience

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Hmmm I don't get it, does the natural nutrients like vitamin C also leave the orange?

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   

edit on 31-7-2011 by kykweer because: triple post i blame sunday night blackberry bandwidth

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I have news.

Not only is orange juice this chemically processed, but mostly everything you consume is entirely detrimental to your well being in more than on way. Stop eating processed foods!

Thank God I started that when I was 16.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by mileysubet

Thanks for the info. I have read around that a little extra oil helps thin it out but it never really gets storebought smooth.

I see sheepslayer's answer is bugs and mice. I don't think that is what is making storebought PB smooth either.

I was thinking the answer was polyglycol or maybe gelatine so that vegetarians eating PB instead of meat are being fooled. Well I guess in a way they are.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by OldCorp
Ethyl-butyrate... Yummmm.

This reminded me (for some strange reason) of local produce grown in South Carolina, specifically peaches.

During the summer months, the ONLY place that you can find South Carolina peaches are at roadside stands. None of the chain supermarkets carry them - NONE - not Walmart, not Bi-Lo, not Publix; you simply can not find local produce on their shelves. For some reason, the peaches sold in the stores come from South America. So where do OUR peaches go?

Fun Fact: Even though Georgia is known as "The Peach State," South Carolina actually produces TWICE as many peaches as our neighbor to the west. South Carolina Beats Neighbor In Peach Produce
edit on 7/30/2011 by OldCorp because: my "L" key sticks

I live in a fruit-growing area too - Niagara. I don't know about peaches yet (they aren't in season yet but this is a massive growing region for them) but it was the same thing with Strawberries! While in the midst of 'the season' the grocery stores had ones from California and the blueberries have all been from Mexico.

At least I could get local cherries this year, unlike the previous two years. Again it was a mystery to me as to why. I suppose that grocers have exclusive contracts with suppliers, and local growers send all theirs somewhere else but it's still frustrating.

I try to go to the fruit stalls as much as I can. The ONLY way to counter-act the big chains and companies is to spend your money locally, even if it is more expensive sometimes.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Don't buy juice in a carton. Just look at the ingredients, it's sugar water. That's why it's inexpensive. Beyond that, the "not from concentrate" type of juices cost more - but they're pasteurized ... definitely not as healthy as freshly squeezed... here's a 2 year old video on the same exact topic of this thread -

I drink water. Sometimes sparkling water if I want that burn in the back of my throat. And every once in awhile I will have a soda, as a treat. If I buy juice, I usually get pineapple juice in the big can, or V8 - hope that stuff isn't bad for ya!

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by aching_knuckles
Please explain how a "decentralized free market economy" would help this situation....with NO regulations, wouldnt they be able to do EVEN MORE disgusting stuff to our foods? How would removing guidelines help?

EVEN MORE what?
If regulations are so good how has this been happening for so long?
How come aspartame is still in the market?

I don't get such arguments like yours, you paint a silly picture as if what you have today, mass regulations, actually works.

Firstly a decentralized economy would not follow this process, the more decentralized the less assembly line work because of the decrease in customers.
decentralized means no assembly line and therefore a better product with way more jobs for the people because it's not one big corp. handling it it's many small businesses in many cities.

Regulations is the worst thing that can happen to the consumer, because regulations means cronyism!
Because they put cronies in regulatory positions after lobbying.

Time to wake up America!

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Well I have me a Jack Lalanne Power Juicer. It works great! So I guess I'll start buying oranges and making my own juice. I very rarely get orange juice anyway. I also have 2 peach tree's. I grow strawberries, mint, cantaloupe, tomato. Used to have a grape orchard. It's great to grow your own food!
edit on 31-7-2011 by soaringhawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I personally prefer to squeeze my own oranges rather than buy commercial stuff

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by BeyondPerception
Is there anything that isn't tainted in some form?

Nope, even my backyard garden with non gmo seeds which I try to grow organically are tainted by the non stop chemical spraying of my neighbors.

Thank you for the info ModernAcademia.

Harm None
Peace

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by benintheuk
I personally prefer to squeeze my own oranges

too much information

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by aching_knuckles

Simply disgusting, what does this mean?
It means globalism is always a disgusting path because the best fresh quality will always come from a decentralized free market economy

Heh. So how people managed to live, in times of free market at XVIII/XIX century? Let me answer.
Imagine that cleanse the world from big companies, regulations government. We would start over, a new deal
[a world after cataclysm], but with our technologies. There wouldn't be government, regulations, companies,corporations, social security, public service etc. So many people would start new business. People will be buying products. If company will be producing good products, people will be buying from them. If not, people will move to buy in another company. If somebody will try to produce OJ from manure and somebody who bought product will complain or even get sick, he will tell his story to other people. A few more people complains or sickness, and company owner will be harassed, beaten and his business ruined.
So free market will force company owners to make good products, because if not, then anytime they could be dragged outside their estate and confronted by people, or prosecuted by court.
I don't suppose there could be anyone such stupid to invest huge amount of money to build
OJ manufacture, to sell disgusting or harmful product, which will cause the rapid collapse of his company.
In free market, without government subsides or protectionism, there's a rule "customer is the most important"

edit on 31-7-2011 by piotrburz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThinkingCap
This sounds a lot more like the big juice corporations, such as Welchs or Sunny D.

It's all about getting your juice from the independant people. Not the corporations that can afford TV commercials.

Sunny D does not claim to be a juice - it's a juice drink. In the UK, Welches sell both. All of the juice suppliers in stores are big companies. Though when it says - not from concentrate or 100% pure juice, we expect it to be unadulterated. Not so it seems. Come to think of it, it's been a while since I saw 'pure fresh squeezed' on a label. That was always a sign of quality.

edit on 31-7-2011 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
What country did your juice come from? What kind of health standards does that country have?

Recently, I began to search the label for the country of origin. Many orange juice labels say "from concentrate from USA or Brazil." I will only buy Florida orange juice because the USA has generally higher cleanliness standards for food and I want to keep my dollars in the USA. I also love apple juice. A troubling name has begun to appear on our juice labels. A quart bottle of Hansen's Natural Apple Juice says "concentrate from USA and/or China." Yes, China, the home of poisoned dog food and adulterated baby formula the caused babies to die! I will not buy any food product that is made in China due to their history of adulteration. I even check tooth paste for country of origin since auto antifreeze was found in tooth paste from China. Juices are usually Pasteurized, so germs are killed, but an adulterant like melamine put in the tainted dog food, or antifreeze put in the tooth paste would still be there.

Read the labels. Try to buy USA made products because the are probably safer to eat, and helps American farmers, and keeps your dollars circulating in the USA. Unfortunately, much of our medicine and favorite headache pills are now made in China too, but not revealed on the label. Demand better labeling from congress.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join