It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheists: You believe in UFO's but not God?

page: 15
<< 12  13  14   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I kind of get tired of all of the grouping, teams as I like to call it........There are too many teams on the ballfield....the ballfield is earth....

What if I do not wish to be with anybody else and their label? I do not think there is a higher power and i do not wish to be clumped together with someone and what their belief is.

Can that happen, or is there a label for that?

Seriously?

ETA: darn, it looks like I missed you by a few minutes. sorry

edit on 13-8-2011 by liejunkie01 because: ETA

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by liejunkie01
What if I do not wish to be with anybody else and their label? I do not think there is a higher power and i do not wish to be clumped together with someone and what their belief is.

Atheist is not a label.

It is a noun in the dictionary of English language.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Qemyst
reply to post by Annee

Ahh, thank you for clarifying.

Technically - - everyone is Agnostic - - even believers - - even if they refuse to admit it.

No one really knows anything for sure.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I know I am me, and that I exist.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Greekoo

Following the same reasoning since life(single celled orgaisims capable of duplicating themselves) on earth did start at some point surely that would insinuate that they were created since cells(that can duplicate themselves) have only been known to come from pro-creation or creation.
You are so wrong dude.

Cells don't need a magical wizard man in order for them to form, the chemicals that were present on early earth were sufficient to create RNA, yet for a long time scientists were unaware of how to mix them to create it. Rather than changing the amounts of the ingredients, like baking a cake and using different amounts of ingredients, some scientists decided to change the order of mixing the ingredients, such as mixing an egg with flour first, and then combining that with the other ingredients.

A hybrid containing a sugar and half of a base was made in the lab. This came together in the lab through the process of evaporation. So it would have made it's way into the atmosphere on the early earth, and fallen from the sky in the form of either rain or snow. Then, it would have landed back in a warm little pond, mixing with the remaining ingredients, the rest of the base and the phosphate, and there you have a building block of RNA as was replicated in the lab.

You can learn all about this in the PBS film: Where Did We Come From?

Science cannot even make a real cell in a controlled lab
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/96f17f23d06c.jpg[/atsimg]

Scientists create cell based on man-made genetic instructions

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by RSF77
reply to post by Annee

Are you sure? Really sure?

You could be a character in a very sophisticated holographic video game.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by RSF77
reply to post by Annee

Are you sure? Really sure?

You could be a character in a very sophisticated holographic video game.

Could be true, but then even if I am, I am capable of thinking and existing within this realm.

It's just one of my favorite philosophical quotes, representing the most basic of knowledge and possibly the only thing we can ever completely accept as truth. I guess you could call it the grassroots of skepticism, even though I don't really like to identify myself as a skeptic (largely due to this forum), I do like this quote.

Cogito ergo sum
edit on 14-8-2011 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Hi tupacshaker "You are so wrong dude"
It is true that scientist can make man made dna in a CONTROLLED LAB. However they have not succeded making a cell in its entirety Without making a cell(cell that can make other cells) in its entirety they have no basis for a non creator hypotheis. Even if they did managing to make a cell in its entirety they then have a BIGGER task in proving how a cell can come about in a uncontrolled enviroment.
So Scientist have managed to get hold of the plans of motorbikes inside motorbike factory so to speak and change the plans to produce different kinds of motorbikes now they just have to figure out how they factory came about by itself.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by NeverApologize
Hello everyone! I have been doing some thinking lately. Also, a little bit of discussion among co-workers. The topic is as the post title suggests: If you don't believe in God because you can't see him, or believe him to be a tangible object, how come you believe in Aliens and UFO's?

Has science proven that Extra Terrestrials exist beyond a reasonable doubt? Have you met an alien or seen a UFO, that can be proven?

Doesn't an atheist basically believe that there is no higher power because there is no proof, in short?

My questions are simple. How come you have no issue in believing that there are aliens visiting us, yet, you cannot believe there is a God that watches over us and creates everything?

Neither have solid proof, correct? So, you are essentially going against your core beliefs right? "No proof, no existence", right?

For information about myself and my spin on the subject, I am a Christian by faith but also a believer in UFO's. Neither have I felt, or touched, but I believe in them. What is your reasoning on the subject at hand?

The whole definition of God is already ridiculed and twisted to fit one's own purpose. So it takes a while to clear up the misconception. There is a difference between a creator who could be a scientist and a creator who isn't and wasn't. I believe the former is plausible

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 03:03 AM
link   
UFO's are real, "GOD" is just a gimmick and a fairytale for weak minded people to have something to believe in.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   
There is far more evidence of aliens and UFO's then there are of God....

As far as I can recall God has never once left behind any physical trace evidence,that he existed.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Greekoo

However they have not succeded making a cell in its entirety

Scientists succeeded in making the first artificial cell last year

'Artificial life' breakthrough announced by scientists

Scientists create artificial cell

Scientists Say First Artificial Living Cell Developed

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

That is not true.

All Atheist are Agnostic. They just ask for proof of a god.

That's incorrect.

I don't 'believe in' Harry Potter. I'm not agnostic about it. I wouldn't ask anyone for proof that he exists because he's fictional.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I don't have a belief about god because I have no idea what people are talking about when they use that word.

Supposedly it was some kind of thing that spoke through burning bushes, had the power to turn people into salt, and claimed to have created the world in a small number of days. What if something like that actually did visit our ancestors? Couldn't it just have been pretending to be a god as long as humans aren't in a position to tell the difference? Even if "God Himself" came to visit me, how could I possibly know that it actually was god, and not just something that had the capacity to convince me that it was god. Neither scenario is seems more likely than the other as far as I can tell.

As for logical arguments for the existence of god, as opposed to ones based on fairy tales, I still haven't heard one that makes complete sense. I haven't heard a logical argument for how the universe got here without a god either, so I'm just going to have to be content with not having any damn idea how it happened for the foreseeable future. It's not as though we have to take a stand on issues we know nothing about. It is okay to reserve judgment!

edit on 15-8-2011 by Tearman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by NeverApologize

Everyone has a belief in something. So it could be aliens or God or Darwinism and Eugenics.

If I had to make a generalization many of the people I have met who aren't Christian and who don't want to have any part of a "mean and vengeful God" many are believers in eugenics and social darwinism. Secretly or outwardly believers in it. Culling the population and things like that. And then there is the other side of people who believe that God is "nature and animals" and the wind and trees and things, and that us humans are bad because we are destroying all of it (the Book Ishmael gets into this). Christians are bad especially because we are hypocrites. I understand the mindset very well, but I can never make myself become an Atheist because of the multitudes of people claiming to be Christian who have done great damage to the faith by their horrendous attitudes and hypocrisy. As far as the alien thing, I don't know really the "facts" of Aliens existing being so abundant that it makes religion look silly and stupid in comparison. I know that Aliens if they exist are fallen angels; my faith keeps me strong in that regard. It is still spiritual warfare against good and evil, regardless of if you want to call them Aliens or Fairies, or Satyrs.

Look at our society are we really improving or is it going the other way around? Will believing in a substitute faith like Aliens all of a sudden make us humanity more open-minded and loving and intelligent in how we improve ourselves and our brethren? I really doubt it. Christianity is the best we've got, doesn't mean you have to go to church or donate all of your money to the Church. Pray because we are in some definitely hard times coming ahead.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Scramjet76

Good topic. I belive in both. However, I think it comes down to consciousness. The multiverse was made by thought.

The Greeks had a word for this, called Gnosticism. Sophia the Σοφíα, Greek for "wisdom"). I am a gnostic so I don't really see Sophia being the perfect God, she did break away from the true God -- the source from which they emanate they form the Pleroma, or fullness, of God.

Sophia this feminine Goddess then created ALiens and also us.

Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?
—1 Corinthians 1:20

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Being an atheist, I don't believe in stuff that hasn't been proven. If there's no objective (!!) evidence backing up claims, I don't believe in them...and the same goes for aliens and UFOs.

Listen to this to figure out why believing in UFOs visiting earth isn't rational: LINK

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by NeverApologize

For me it would make more sense if you ask the question "You believe in God but not UFOs"

I think quite simply UFOs (I think we are referring to Extra Terrestrials / Aliens in this case) are more realistic than the God.

UFO/Aliens are more scientific, realistic and a possibility. Quite simply it is foolish to think that we are the only ones in this whole wide universe... If we exist then so can others... But if you ask me does God exist? Well, I don't know... what evidence do we have? is it scientific? I'll leave the argument to you...

edit on 24-8-2011 by itisoutthere because: Typo

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
umm,even if ufo's exist how long do you think it would take for a alien to get to earth?
you know it'd probably take over 30,000 years until then.... i'm not saying they will never get here or that they exist or don't... i'm just stating the facts.

top topics

<< 12  13  14   >>

join