It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"The Gulf Coast has gotten only 50 percent of the normal rainfall over the past nine months." -Cot

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Source

We are all aware of the drought conditions in the south. We are all concerned about our food supply due to droughts and farm's in the mid-west flooding. Now we can add to it our cotton grown in the US as well.

Cotton crops in Texas, Oklahoma, Alabama and Georgia all are in very poor condition due to the lack of rain in the lower third of the U.S.

Texas is the leading cotton producer in the U.S. and 57 percent of the crops are in very poor condition. Cotton farmers in Oklahoma have seen a crop loss of about 72 percent. "The city of Altus has received about 7 inches of rain since November. Normally they would have 19.5 inches by now," Mohler said.

The Financial Times reports that in May agricultural losses caused by the drought had already reached $1.5 billion.

The rest of the summer will be fairly dry, especially for west Texas. "The normal summer rains have not kicked in," said Mohler. It is feared that the La Nina will return this fall and the drought conditions will continue.

Now, I found this article regarding our cotton crops grown in the US written August 10th, 2010

It states:

China’s cotton reserve, at only 1.4 million tons, is a factor for U.S. cotton producers to keep an eye on, according to Joe Nicosia, Allenberg president and CEO. “They’re struggling on whether they should sell an additional amount of old crop cotton to relieve extremely tight domestic supplies.”

“The rest of the world is going to use 18.3 million bales more than it produces. If the United States does not have a huge crop, the world would not have enough cotton to meet demand. Foreign stocks are extremely low, so the export prospects we have today could easily blossom and move up, if the overseas crops are not also extremely large.” Nicosia also urges cotton producer to keep an eye on grain prices. If there are any problems in the grain growing season around the world “we could find ourselves in a new fight for acreage around the world.”

Full Article

Should we add this to the list of reasons for concern? It appears so, IMHO.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
...it rained at my house today for about 20 minutes... i think its the 5th time its rained all year... what we need is a good tropical storm to come off the gulf...

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
You hate to hope for the big storms but it seems we've come to that.
My attention has certainly been drawn to this issue these past days. It seems there are several places in the USA that face serious issues. Now with the heat . . .

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wyn Hawks
...it rained at my house today for about 20 minutes... i think its the 5th time its rained all year... what we need is a good tropical storm to come off the gulf...

I just heard the water temperature in the gulf is 100 degrees, wonder if this will help or hurt your chances for rain?

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I have seen several reports on ATS regarding how bad the drought conditions are in certain areas - it appears to be pretty bad. I hope there is relief SOON!

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
There has definitely been some speculation that the oil 'spill' ad ensuing Corexit spraying may be related, although i've seen nothing approaching evidence...

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds
There has definitely been some speculation that the oil 'spill' ad ensuing Corexit spraying may be related, although i've seen nothing approaching evidence...

Look up the thermohaline current chief......all the evidence you'll need right there...I've been sayin it for a while...the underwater conveyor belt has stalled. Thus......what we're facing now as a result. Don't expect it to get better though as this is only one piece of a 3 part problem.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I just saw this article regarding the drought in Texas and the cattle dying because of drinking too much water...

Texas Drought Causing Cattle Deaths... From too much Water?

Article

Unfortunately, AccuWeather.com meteorologists foresee no signs of relief from 100-degree heat and drought conditions in Texas and the southern Plains any time soon.

In Texas, cattle are dying due to the drought conditions. The hitch is, they're not dying of thirst. In fact, it's quite the opposite. Cattle are dying from too much water.

The drought conditions have caused cattle producers to move their herds from pastures where water tanks have dried to new pastures with healthier water supplies. The cattle then gorge themselves on too much water and die within minutes of water intoxication, according to The Associated Press (AP). "They overdrink because they're thirsty," said Dr. Robert Sprowls of the Texas Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory in Amarillo. "Once they fill up on water it happens pretty quickly." While over-hydrating can be a problem for some cattle, many are also suffering from

Please see link for full article.

I hate to hear stories like these. It is affecting things beyond what we consider.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Castogere

Look up the thermohaline current chief......all the evidence you'll need right there...I've been sayin it for a while...the underwater conveyor belt has stalled. Thus......what we're facing now as a result. Don't expect it to get better though as this is only one piece of a 3 part problem.

Baah! BP has pleanty of money to pay off cotton farmers and their workers.

Meanwhile... Can we interest you in some more quality materials like polyester? Rayon? etc., etc. ...

How about a fat tobacco leaf?

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Nature ALWAYS evens things out. Prediction: Massive tropical system will dump flooding rains in these regions during this hurricane season.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Look up the thermohaline current chief......all the evidence you'll need right there...I've been sayin it for a while...the underwater conveyor belt has stalled.

What evidence do you have that the thermohaline current has shut down?

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I live on the southeast Texas Gulf Coast near La. We've finally gotten a few good heavy showers in the past week, but we are still over 31 inches under what we should have gotten in rain by this time of year. Most of (if not all) the area is under a burn ban even after the good rain because everything is all dried out. I haven't really been paying attention to the rice crops- which is the big money making crop around here- but everybody's personal vegetable gardens are suffering greatly! No amount of water from a garden hose can do for your plants what good old natural rain water can do! A couple of my fruit trees have died (water hose couldn't save them) and lots of the neighbor's have also. Tomatoes usually grow excellent here but it seems like nobody's are producing like they usually do.

I'm in agreement with some of the others. I hate to say it, but we could use a decent tropical storm about now!
Neighbors please forgive me, but we need it!

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trublbrwing

Originally posted by Wyn Hawks

I just heard the water temperature in the gulf is 100 degrees, wonder if this will help or hurt your chances for rain?

I highly doubt this. I live 5 minutes away from the gulf. I was swimming in it yesterday. There is no way I was cooking while I was swimming. I am not sure where you heard this but it sounds more like hype than anything. Living just north of Galveston I can tell you the lack of rain is gut wrenching. But as of late we have been getting many heat brewed storms off the gulf and it has been helping a lot. Grass is starting to grow again, and even the trees look better. But damn me if I have seen weirder clouds! I know there is nothing like a Texas sunset but these things look like Michelangelo painted them.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

No need to forgive! I would love a direct strike to Galveston. It would get rid of all the gangbangers in the area again and bring much needed rain to Louisiana/Texas.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

I am sure you are not alone in your thoughts. Those in your area, and those who are in others going through droughts, are most likely wishing for a good storm as well.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
All the rain and clouds are stuck in the pacific northwest. This region has seen very few straight days of clear sunny skies. July is normally hot and dry but lately it's been cold and wet like the month of April.

The weather is not its consistent old self.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Look up the thermohaline current chief......all the evidence you'll need right there...I've been sayin it for a while...the underwater conveyor belt has stalled.

Evidence

2nd.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trublbrwing

...neither is my bet... the gulf's surface temp is 85-90 degrees this time of the year... a 10 degree spike somewhere isnt impressive... couldve been an equipment malfunction or human malfunction for drama's sake... what will increase our chance of rain are the tropical waves out in the atlantic... that hurricane down in the pacific might send some my way...

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Heyyo_yoyo

Evidence

2nd.

Did you mean evidence of it NOT failing, because it would appear that is what your link is saying.

From your link:

The majority of climate scientist believe that a critical change in the THC is unlikely to occur during this century, but the question cannot be answered with certainty at present.

and

The Gulf Stream does not appear to be slowing down, say US scientists who have used satellites to monitor tell-tale changes in the height of the sea.

top topics

join