It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are you currently reading?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I'm at the begining of The Wire In The Blood by Val McDermid.

Link

Young girls are disappearing around the country. Everyone assumes they are teenage runaways, headed for the big city and bright lights. They vanish without trace -- society's disposable children, There is nothing to connect them to each other, let alone the killer whose charming manner hides a warped and sick mind.

Nobody moves around inside the messy heads of serial killers like Dr Tony Hill. Now heading up the recently founded National Profiling Task Force, he sets his team an exercise: they are given the details of thirty missing teenagers and asked to use their new techniques to discover whether there is a sinister link between any of the cases. Only one officer comes up with a concrete theory, but it is ridiculed by the rest of her group ... until a killer murders and mutilates one of their number.

Could the outrageous suspicion possibly be true? For Tony Hill, the murder of a member of his team becomes a matter for personal revenge. Aided by his previous colleague, Carol Jordan, he embarks upon a campaign of psychological terrorism - a game of cat and mouse where the roles of hunter and hunted are all too easily reversed.

-tts

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reading cats cradle by kurt vonegutt

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 04:13 AM
link   
"What is Property" by Pierre Joseph Proudhon (1840)

If I were asked to answer the following question: What is slavery? and I should answer in one
word, It is murder, my meaning would be understood at once. No extended argument would be
required to show that the power to take from a man his thought, his will, his personality, is a power
of life and death; and that to enslave a man is to kill him. Why, then, to this other question: What is
property! may I not likewise answer, It is robbery, without the certainty of being misunderstood;
the second proposition being no other than a transformation of the first?

My mission is written in these words of the law: Speak without hatred and without
fear; tell that which thou knowest! The work of our race is to build the temple of science, and this
science includes man and Nature.

Disregard then, reader, my title and my character, and attend only to my arguments. It is in
accordance with universal consent that I undertake to correct universal error; from the opinion of
the human race I appeal to its faith. Have the courage to follow me; and, if your will is
untrammeled, if your conscience is free, if your mind can unite two propositions and deduce a third
therefrom, my ideas will inevitably become yours. In beginning by giving you my last word, it was
my purpose to warn you, not to defy you; for I am certain that, if you read me, you will be
compelled to assent. The things of which I am to speak are so simple and clear that you will be
astonished at not having perceived them before, and you will say: "I have neglected to think."
Others offer you the spectacle of genius wresting Nature's secrets from her, and unfolding before
you her sublime messages; you will find here only a series of experiments upon justice and right a
sort of verification of the weights and measures of your conscience. The operations shall be
conducted under your very eyes; and you shall weigh the result.

Just a little to let you understand what it is about.

posted on Jun, 26 2007 @ 12:24 AM
link   
The Thomas Covenant Series (for the fourth time) by Stephen Donaldson.

posted on Jun, 26 2007 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Wow, long time no see Seeker.

I'm reading a collection of poetry by Billy Collins. I've enjoyed it so far...

posted on Jun, 26 2007 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I AM LEGEND

I saw the tread on here about the film, with Will Smith coming out in December, and I thought to myself: the books always better than the film.

So I went out and found a copy.

It's by Richard Matheson and it's a fantastic read - read it before the big budget blockbuster fudges it up! and yes I'm fully awear that 2 other films have already been made of this book.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 3 2007 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
Wow, long time no see Seeker.

I'm reading a collection of poetry by Billy Collins. I've enjoyed it so far...

I'm a big fan of Collins; never met a poem of his I didn't like..
:

I just finished Heinlein's, "Job: A Comedy of Justice" being it is one of a handful of his books that I haven't read. I have to say I was not particularly blown away, as I usually am by his works. Anyway...

Currently reading "Silence Of The Lambs" by Thomas Harris and enjoying it very much. That Hanibal Lecter, he's such a cut up.

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 05:40 PM
link   
First time I have posted here, which is odd because I read alot. I just finished 2 books.
1) Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause, Excellent book- really bad movie.
2) Intensity by Dean Koontz, my favorite author, have read probably all but 2 of his books.This one was published 1995.I was had a new baby at home and probably that's how I missed this one.It is very graphic, compared to some of his other books.
Right now Iam starting to read Blood and Chrysanthemums by Nancy Baker, a Canadian author.It is the story of a young Japanese goth girl who becomes a vampire.

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I picked up the 30th anniversary edition of Roots by Alex Haley.

The typos, though, are about to drive me insane! Does nobody employ proofreaders anymore?

I'd only seen the TV adaptation. The book is so good I can't put it down -- I've been staying up way too late at night reading it.

Next on the list is non-fiction, Why Darwin Matters.

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I just started Children of Dune after finishing the previous two volumes. It's still amazing to me how much of a book gets canibalized by a film maker for his own adaptation of said book.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Currently re-reading Sanguisuga by Christi-Anne

From the Publisher:

Doran Payne is a vampire who's not only retained a caring heart and most, if not all, of his soul in his thus far one-hundred-plus years of life, but he's done the forbidden – he's fallen in love with a mortal woman and she with him. His life being forfeit by the ancients who made him, Doran sets out to tell the entangled tale of his life for two reasons: to put an end to the morbid fascination that many humans have with all things vampiric and undead, and to somehow save the lives of those he has come to love. With honest words and the deepest of personal perspective, Doran weaves for us the vampire's life. In artfully dispelling the lies and romanticized half-truths, this all-too-human vampire gives us a new mythology, new eyes from which to view their hungered existence and eternal sanguisuganal life. Allow yourselves the seductive pleasure of its well-honed language and the immortal emotion that drove the vampire to pick up the pen. Can a vampire love, and if it does, can that love stand the truest of tests – time?

Of course the author of the book just happens to be the love of my live. But it is an incredible book.

Sanguisuga

[edit on 7/5/2007 by bobafett1972]

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I just bought the first 6 Harry Potter books and am currently halfway through the first one. It's pretty good it's too bad it took me so long to actually buy them and start reading, like most books made into movies the book is way better.

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 07:08 PM
link   
currently 'The Portable Door' by Tom Holt, only just started so I'll have to read it speedy before next saturday

posted on Jul, 15 2007 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Current Reading List:

JG 26: Top Guns of the Luftwaffe

Texas Ghosts

How to Make Wine

And

Home Brewing

Books Read This Summer:

Animal Farm

City of Illusions

Hostage to The Devil

Moneyball

Snowblind

And

Holy Blood, Holy Grail

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Well I usually read fluff because it makes a nice change from my homework, and work, and gives my poor brain a break.

I'm currently going through 7 Ancient Wonders by Matthew Reilly again.. that and the continuation of the series is what first got me sniffing around here for more info on ancient and lost civilisations, sun and dark sun worship and a bunch of other stuff.

I'm also hanging out for February for the release of the next book in a series I started reading in high school "The Obernewtyn Chronicles"

It's a post apocolyptic fantasy/sci fi depending on how you look at it I guess. It's for younger readers, but I have to see it through to the end.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I just finished reading the new R.A. Salvatore book, The Orc King the other day and I decided to start over with the entire series so i just finished the Crystal Shard tonight and haven't quite opened up Streams of Silver, tomorrow perhaps.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I'm reading Star Trek Vanguard: Reap the Whirlwind.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Recently finished:
Ghost Wars by Steve Coll
Skunk Works by Ben Rich
Profiles in Murder by Russell Vorpagel (for like the third time)
And just started The Bureau And The Mole by David A. Vise

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Re-reading Larry Niven's Ringworld.

Before than, Footfall by Larry Nivan and Jerry Pournelle

Bit of a si-fi thing going

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Currently working my way through the Sharpe series of books, reading them in historical order rather than the order they were published in. I highly recommend them.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join