It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama warns - August 3rd - Possibly no social security checks will be paid.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by LDragonFire
reply to post by boondock-saint

Don't stop there we need to boot the supreme court as well....

I was gonna say that but felt it deserved
it's own thread and is kinda off-topic
since the thread only encompassed
the 2 branches already.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by LDragonFire
reply to post by getreadyalready

From what I have read this is more to do with republicans not agreeing that the wealthy should pay there fair share in taxes......

I agree on that one but still.. Obama's playing hardball by 'fearmongering the seniors'.

Republicans rather cut social security than tax the rich
Yeah, that's what the headline will be if Fox news is working for the democrats.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
What galls me is that the favoritism towards the rich is so obvious and we, the little people, are so powerless to put an end to it.

Grrr!

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jazzyguy
Obama's playing hardball by 'fearmongering the seniors'.

No, he's not playing hardball.
He's holding Senior Citizens hostage
for money.

Any Cop in the world would view
that as a criminal offense.

This is not debt negotiations.
it is hostage negotiations.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
The repubs control the house, and only the house. None of them were elected by the U.S., only by their districts, and they are not in charge.

Their refusal to make any compromises is what is shutting down the U.S. government. They are a bunch of bums who care only for their campaign donors.

Seniors are not going to forget that the repubs wanted to cut medicare.

Repubs created the huge debt, not only with out of control spending on corporate welfare, but also by giving huge tax breaks to the super rich.

Time to throw those repub bums out of office.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
so presumably Obama will let the senior citizens suffer whilst the beauracrats and office flacks and administrative flunkies WILL get paid.
he's either lying or utterly incompetent.
(or 'C', both of the above)

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Another example of Obama's politics of fear...

Remember, Geithner had to be Treasury Sec, because he was the only man in America smart enough to fix the economy?

Remember the GM had to be bailed out or 2milion jobs would be lost and besides, they were "too big to fail"?

Remember the stimulus had to be passed or else the economy would collapse?

Remember Obamacare had to be passed or people would die in the streets?

etc., etc., etc.

Now we have to, must, pass his new taxes, increase spending, and increase the debt limit or grandma will be kicked out to the street?

He's like the Boy Who Cried Wolf and Chicken Little wrapped up in one package.
edit on 12-7-2011 by mishigas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   

edit on 12-7-2011 by AmericanDaughter because: edit to remove my post

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I don't think it is fearmongering. Seeking a political advantage by trying to shake some people into action; quite possibly, but not actual fearmongering.
A number of posters have mentioned that there is plenty of money in SS to cover the payments.
Well, there way, but we actually hit the debt ceiling a few months ago and have been moving money around to cover other payments that we cannot currently borrow to meet.
After the 2nd, we are insolvent. There will be some money and not enough to meet all demands for payment on all fronts. Social Security would very likely show at least a decreased check. And, eventually, without a solution and despite the fact the program on paper has a surplus, its funds have already been hijacked to keep the government running. A failure to mail payments is not completley impossible.
And that is frightening.
edit on 12-7-2011 by watcher3339 because: typo

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
It really ticks me off about all the talk that everyone needs to buckle down and learn how to cut corners, but we all know that the elite don't plan on doing this. They only want us peons to feel the pain while they sit back and continue holding their parties at the White House. Have any of them reduced their pay? Have they lost any of their benefits? Have they experienced any type of pain? NO!

Do these elite not have any relatives who are on Social Security? Where are they? I'd love to hear from one of the elites grandmothers cussing them out if they don't get their SS check next month.

ATTN Elites: MAKE NO MISTAKE. THE AMERICAN PEOPLE WILL CONSIDER THE ACT OF WITH HOLDING SOCIAL SECURITY CHECKS AS AN ACT OF TERRORISM. CONSIDER YOURSELVES WARNED.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
edit: fixed with quote
edit on 12-7-2011 by Enter Ruin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
No, he's not playing hardball.
He's holding Senior Citizens hostage
for money.

Any Cop in the world would view
that as a criminal offense.

This is not debt negotiations.
it is hostage negotiations.

No, technically speaking, you cannot hold it against him, because he's a lefty. And the lefty is the architect of the so called social security program.. FDR started it, without that there won't be social security in the first place.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir

Originally posted by butcherguy
reply to post by Ozscot

Yeah, he's warning the Republican Party that if they don't submit to him, the senior citizens will blame them for it all.

Shut the govt down.

I must admit from my time spent analyzing politics this is one hell of a risky political move he is making. This could easily turn against him but it could also easily work in his favor it all depends (should this event occur) on who’s message sounds less like an ideologue and more like they are truly dedicated to this country. That is what will matter.

Either way if this event occurs I will call it right now, 2012 could easily be an election for the history books, meaning realigning in nature. Because this will make or break the parties, it is simple as that. And if it does not this country will be so divided politically and ideologically I would have to weep for its future stability.

But I want to make it clear right here and right now, I am on the Republicans side. The governments (both parties) have been spending far too much and it must be brought down, no other time has offered us such an opportunity for this to occur as is now.

where were you when all this non-sense spending started? Back in the Republican George W. Bush Era and trillions after, yet all of you republicans blame Obama for just following suit and keeping going what your representative did to the country.

Is not solely Obama's fault, stop making it sound as if it was

www.huffingtonpost.com...

costofwar.com

edit on 12-7-2011 by Enter Ruin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Repugs!?! Has ATS morphed into the DUmp?

Is our Dear Leader admitting that there is NO Social Security Trust Fund? Or is he just having a little political fun at the Seniors' expense?

This is beyond dispicable...such a ploy; such an evil manuever against the most vulnerable. I wonder, will Air Force One be grounded--no Martha's Vineyard vacay for the Obama since we are in such a "crisis" mode? Because even though I didntt go to Columbia, or Haahvaaad Law, I do know that such trips could buy a lot of Meals on Wheels.

Obama gave "professional" politicians an even uglier image today.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Enter Ruin

I hear that a lot, but nobody has ever spent like Obama! The $1 trillion bailout, the QE1,2,3, the monstrosity of a Healthcare Bill. Those were not continuations of anything, those were Obama's and his alone!

The Fed couldn't even explain why they did QE1,2,3. When asked directly, by my brother at a Fed meeting in Kansas City, they could only say that it was one of their many tools at their disposal. When pushed on the issue, they could not give any reasoning as to why they chose that approach above the other more popular and more widely used approaches.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Try reading a few of the other posts I made in this thread, it is my opinion that the Republicans of the past have been just as guilty of debt-spending as their Democratic colleagues. But I believe now they can and must cut the spending or we will cut them, they know it. Democrats do not see it that way, they (and some Republicans) think this is free money and by attacking the rich (how dare they buy jets and create jobs through their purchases) somehow our country will be better off.

Well I am sorry. Our government has a serious addiction to spending, like a crack head. Do you get more money for the crack head so he does not run out of crack or do you take away his money so he cannot buy crack anymore?

And no I do not see Republicans as innocent but more as the closest damn thing we have to people willing to even listen to what we have to say.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Are there any links yet to confirm this? I will wait for the confirmation before I get

JT

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   

No, of course this is not all his fault but he is part of the problem. The fear mongering statement he just put out is not gonna win him any fans either.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Greenblaz

www.politico.com...

There is a link to Politico story on it.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
CNN as well.

www.cnn.com...

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join