It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pennsylvania Restaurant Bans Children Under 6

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by FrenchOsage
reply to post by nunya13

Sure, why not.
If I dine "out" I will choose to dine in a "free" environment...kids, gays, immigrants and good food is my idea of fun! If my neighbor wishes to be more selective...why should "laws" prohibit this preference?

Laws shouldn't and most likely won't. What will happen though -- is he will have no customers left.

It's really a self resolving problem.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Adyta

IT IS NOT your establishment. Some people like to go out and eat somewhere without kids running around eating crayons and disturbing their meal. This is a result of people who cannot control their children by instilling some manners in them. There are resorts that are adults only, people throw parties adults only, and this place is allowing 7 year olds. 7 year olds are crazy and loud as well. I think they are being nice. As far as I know this place could be a dump but there is a need for a place like this.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisF231
I wish all restaurants would do this, fast food chains included. I cannot believe some of the things I have seen at restaurants. I recently went to the nearby TGI Friday's and this family was letting their 2 kids run amok through the restaurant, the little kids even caused a waitress to drop a tray full of food and the parents just sat their oblivious to the chaos their kids were causing. No apology, no yelling at the kids, nothing. Just today I went to my local Quiznos for lunch and a little kid threw his sandwich across the restaurant as his mother was yapping away on her cell phone. Of course the workers had to go clean up the mess. Don't parents discipline their kids anymore? What about teaching manners and respect?

I used to laugh at the people who worked at McDonald's and other fast food restaurants but now I have tremendous respect for them after seeing what they go through.

This is just as much a problem with the restaurant as it is with the parents. They should remove them from the venue and deny service. It's completely justifiable if your kids are screwing up other peoples meals and/or damaging and causing danger to the people in the work place.

Derp. They restaurant allowed it to happen.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Adyta
Jesus, people support this crap? You aren't the only people on Earth. If you want to eat "in peace" cook a meal at home.
what about those who can't boil water? a place that caters to the elderly?

"I'd rather eat in peace" "I don't wanna eat with kids running around"
How is this different than "We don't them thar negros in OUR restaurants!" or "NO JEWS" outside of restaurants in Nazi Germany?

If I went to a restaurant and someone pointed at my kid and said "We don't serve those people here" I'd punch them square in the face.
there is no difference really. Either one believes in private property or one doesn't. I don't see how violence would make the situation any better, you would probably end up in jail, when you could have said "well, I guess you don't want my money so I am going across the street to someone that does".

If someone is being disrespectful or are disturbing other customers, tell them they have to leave. I guess blatant discrimination only works when people want it.

edit on 7/11/2011 by Adyta because: (no reason given)
Everyone discriminates its a fact of life and a preservation mechanism.I don't hang out with child molesters, rapists or murders, so I admit my "bigotry" proudly

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Laokin

Someone restricting substitutions is not the same as someone restricting children of/under a certain age; nor is it the same to say blacks, homosexual, women and/or fat people aren't allowed.

There are tons of thriving businesses where children aren't allowed. Bars, for one.
There is a restaurant/bar and grill here that restrict people under 19 after 8m, and not all bar and grills do so.

Denying someone service because of the colour of their skin is not the same as denying someone service because of their stereotypically boisterous nature. Stereotypes aren't reliable, we all know, but everyone knows that children of a certain age tend to be very energetic, very talkative and sometimes uncontrollable.
I can guarantee you there will be many people more than pleased to visit this place.

If you don't like the policy, don't go, it's really that simple.
edit on 11-7-2011 by jonibelle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by generik

Thanks generik for sticking up for the rights of toddlers in dining establishments. First they were not allowed to drink and smoke and now the are not allowed to create havok for people who are trying to enjoy a nice meal. Keep up the good fight sir. It is ridiculous that when people begin to breed they are forced to make such sacrifices.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by nunya13
While I think what he is doing is just fine, i can understand the counter-arguments and it would most likely involve a slippery slope. What's next? Restaurant owners banning homosexuals? Women? Fat people? Just playing Devil's advocate here.

That is ridiculous. Homosexuals, women and fat people are not prone to screaming, yelling and throwing food in public while under the care of irresponsible parents.

Really?

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ChrisF231

UGH this pisses me off so bad. If you don't enjoy the company of other people -kids included- then go build a cabin in the woods and live out the rest of your days as an anti-social hermit.

What would you say if you saw a sign outside a restaurant that said;

"NO BLACKS"
"NO MEXICANS"
"NO GAYS"
"NO WHITES"
"NO MUSLIMS"
"NO WOMEN"
"NO FATTYS"
"NO ELDERLY"
"NO CRIPPLES"

If you were a sane person, you'd probably be absolutely livid... but you see a sign that says;

"NO KIDS UNDER 6"...

...and you think "GOOD!"??? You cannot say this isn't discrimination. There's no gray area about it. Something is either discriminatory or it isn't... and this clearly is.

There are a lot of mentally retarded people out that that at times act like a 6 year old... what next? A sign that says "NO RETARDS"?

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Honestly, I don't see this as any different from nightclubs or bars where there is an age restriction to even enter the place. There are enough family-oriented restaurants about that this should no be such a big deal.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
he can do what he wants.

kids can be a danger in a dinning room as what has been said, a few posts up.

as an rest owner myself, i've had to give the "look" to the kids parents but always had something to distract the kids too, to keep them sitting.

it sucks for the parents too, babysitters can be hard to come by, spur of the moment and it costs.

when i was a kid, it was wait in the car if we acted up. happened only once, lol. i lost the dare.

when my daughter was young she would be taken outside by me or my wife to finish eating our meal when she acted up. then we could concentrate on her without the food getting too cold and she would be hungry enough to sit down and eat.

any who have kids will know, that in the beginning you won't get alot of enjoyable hot meals outside the house.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by gabby2011

Originally posted by Bixxi3
Good for them! You know how many times i've been trying to chat up a cousin just to have her kids butt in and ruin the mood. I hope McDonald's (my main choice of fine cuisine restaurants) decides to do the same,
edit on 11-7-2011 by Bixxi3 because: (no reason given)

McDonald's?? you mean mickey dee's??..they will NEVER exclude children, unless they start some other type chain level. That was a joke ..right?

Which bit?

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Adyta

When you find that sign, take a picture and post it on here so we all shut up. Am I to assume you have crazy children you cannot control or were on yourself? You are super passionate about children eating at this joint.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Adyta

Please compare your list to the KNOWN BEHAVIORS that children are known to exhibit when out in public, tired, cranky, pissy, out of control while the parents sit there chowing down in their own little world.

If you can show how they compare....I will shut up. lol

edit on July 11th 2011 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
If your kid acted up in the restaurant, then there is a chance that your kids acts up at most or all restaurants, movies, and places where others may want to enjoy themselves. I understand that parents want there time too, but I also think that this is the price you sometimes pay when having children.

Most parents understand that taking a 2 yr old out on a Saturday night, to a place with low lights and a bar or lounge, is not going to get the best reception when her their kids is out of control. Many parents will just sit and ignore their children running around literally bothering customers, bumping into waiters and yelling when told to sit. I have actually seen this, in a restaurant that I will say was NOT a kid friendly place with kids meals, and toys in a bag, or a clown/king mascot.

So, I say that he should have the right to do this, and I am sure that there are more then enough people that would agree that he should also have that right.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Anyone on my little list could exhibit the same behavior of a child. I have seen people get pissed off and throw trays of food as they were leaving a restaurant, seen couples screaming at each other, drop food, spill drinks, throw up, flip out on staff / management, men getting drunk in the bar section and swearing / yelling loudly, etc.

I once saw a disabled person in a wheelchair, and you could see his urine bag. Would you like to have him kicked out because that's "gross"? Well if you wanna kick him out because you're trying to eat and it's gross... how about severe burn victims? Should they be booted too?

But kick the kids out, because they *sometimes* cry and throw tantrums, as children do.

Going out in public has it's downsides... if you can't deal with that, I suggest you don't go out in public.

Also, please answer my question. Would you like to see management refuse to serve a mentally retarded person? If not, explain how it is any different.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
reply to post by Adyta

Please compare your list to the KNOWN BEHAVIORS that children are known to exhibit when out in public, tired, cranky, pissy, out of control while the parents sit there chowing down in their own little world.

If you can show how they compare....I will shut up. lol

edit on July 11th 2011 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

I hate when parents do that. There kids are screaming, running around naked and the parents just tune it out.
I notice how its always the parents who have had more then 1 kids. They've learned this ability to just not give a #. lol

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by NuroSlam

I have no problems with this and have seen this happen with an establishment in my town and yes, while there was outcry from those with young families who were excluded, there was also a positive reaction from adults who wanted just One place to go in town where they could be free of the distractions that children bring with them. As with everything else, people vote with their dollars and if there is enough support, the restaurant will do fine. Time will tell...

edit on 11-7-2011 by iMystery because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Adyta

The same as children, anyone who has a disability and has the mentality of a young child has supervision, as would a child. I would give the same reaction of "why are you not doing your job" to a nurse, as I would a parent.

Peace, NRE.

BTW, this more falls in the category of not NOT wanting to be around children, as much as its about parents or guardians who dont know how to discipline them, or dont care about others around them.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Adyta
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Anyone on my little list could exhibit the same behavior of a child. I have seen people get pissed off and throw trays of food as they were leaving a restaurant, seen couples screaming at each other, drop food, spill drinks, throw up, flip out on staff / management, men getting drunk in the bar section and swearing / yelling loudly, etc.

I once saw a disabled person in a wheelchair, and you could see his urine bag. Would you like to have him kicked out because that's "gross"? Well if you wanna kick him out because you're trying to eat and it's gross... how about severe burn victims? Should they be booted too?

But kick the kids out, because they *sometimes* cry and throw tantrums, as children do.

Also, please answer my question. Would you like to see management refuse to serve a mentally retarded person? If not, explain how it is any different.

People causing disturbances are often asked to leave.

You would have to be staring at someone to notice their urine bag. Look the other way if you see it, I'm sure they can't help having a catheter in them, though they could have chosen censoring attire.

Society has come a long way from thinking the mentally disabled and victims are burns are aliens, unless you are referring to the mentally disabled people that scream and moan in agony or because they can't help it.
Usually the people with them use a little common sense before taking them out. I was placed in a nursing home as a placement for my school program and some of our loud patients we had to keep away from certain areas for obvious reasons.

all this owner is doing is foreseeing a common nuisance.

I have a very well behaved 1 year old that I can take anywhere, but even I can understand why they would turn her father and myself away for having her there. children can be unpredictable. She has her days where she's cranky as all hell and I can't even take her out of my lap, but that's the way it is. Children are especially cranky during growth spurts because it can be uncomfortable, and no one knows the exact time the discomfort comes on.
Going out with your children isn't a necessity. And like someone said, it might have been you but i apologize if it wasn't, you can have a nice dinner at home. You can also have a noisy one at home with your children.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I like how you highlighted part of my post in an effort to make me look stupid. Allow me to do the same.

Originally posted by jonibelle
People causing disturbances are often asked to leave.

Thank you for agreeing with me.

If a kid is causing a disturbance, ask the parents and child to leave. Don't ban the entire age group.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join